The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've sat in on the calls with the hospital lawyers and the doctors talking about just how long/how much they need to let the mother bleed before they can step in and save her. Either way all it takes is one MAGA DA who decides he wants to make an example and we'd be wipe'd out financially.  Its truly fucked up. 

Keee-riiiist.

And you may see me at the grocery story in Corvallis one day.

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

@Chopper

Would this Lock and leave be in Monte Sereno? We looked there, but there's no way I can swing it or stomach the commute to one of our hubs until retirement. Loved Santa Fe.

No we were driving back and forth between Austin and Santa Fe for a bit. Santa Fe being the only place that seemed within a 1 day drive with generally better weather, good q of l, etc. With dogs, being within one day drive was important. At the time we were thinking one of us would need to be in Austin for business more frequently than it turned out was necessary.

BTW adding to my previous list of pluses for Santa Fe, NM compared to Austin -- no fire ants and almost no mosquitoes. My wife's a magnet for mosquitoes so that was a huge plus. There are more mosquitoes in Fort Collins than Santa Fe but they're not nearly as aggressive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Probably the least important point in all the horrifying shit in this post, but how MAGA are these hospital lawyers and the other doctors.  I can't imaging telling a physician in that position to do anything but what's medically appropriate for the mother, and that we'd appoint doctors to represent her if some asshole DA wants to go after her.  If nothing else, and from just a hospital risk standpoint, that's one hell of a med mal suit they're risking if mom dies from bleeding or sepsis or whatever other preventable cause of death that's coming.

My worry would be about a maga nurse (don't hurt me surly nurses, but you know it's true) going all maga and finding a lawyer to prosecute.  There are way more than we realize.

• Like 1

Yeah, we know Magas are the only ones to file frivolous lawsuits. 

WTF? They literally locked up a woman going through a miscarriage while seeking care. Not frivolous by any stretch of the imagination. Have you not been paying attention or is this willful ignorance?

Nope.  I stepped into what I thought was a DT thread about moving abroad and didn't read the rest of the thread first.  That and the quoted posts were the only ones I read.  I've since gone back and read some other posts to gain more context, so mea culpa.  I dislike frivolous lawsuits regardless of Maga or libtard, so that was what caused my initial reaction.  I'll show myself out of the CR. 

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

I dislike frivolous lawsuits regardless of Maga or libtard

Yeah, those dozens of dismissed Big Lie suits Trump and his lackeys filed were bad, but remember all the frivolous libtard lawsuits like Brown v Board of Education, Roe v Wade, and Loving v Virginia?!? #bothsides

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wife is an OB and this handmaid tale bullshit has given us no choice but to sell our dream house here in Texas and look for a better place to raise our kids.  Currently looking at the west coast - Corvallis and around Santa Barbara are the first two opportunities we've started exploring - but we're soon to start applying in Colorado and Washington

Not ruling out an international move, though we'd have limited options as it would have to be english speaking and pay doctors a decent wage - hello Australia.

We've already explained to the kids that wherever we move its likely the house is going to be smaller and there won't be a pool - but that there will be plenty of other things to do and you won't melt into the pavement 9 months out of the year.  One 'benefit' of COVID (though I hate to use that word considering what a shit-storm its been) is that my kids have spent a lot more time with their siblings than they might have otherwise and don't really have close friends that will make the move harder.

Its pretty crushing thinking about the family, friends, and the great house we just bought a few years ago - but really don't see any other option. 

I've sat in on the calls with the hospital lawyers and the doctors talking about just how long/how much they need to let the mother bleed before they can step in and save her. Either way all it takes is one MAGA DA who decides he wants to make an example and we'd be wipe'd out financially.  Its truly fucked up. 

San Diego is a nice town with great hospitals. 
Just sayin'. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So Estes Park got TWO FEET of HAIL ( no typo -- 2 feet of hail) last night:

I don't understand. I get that hail is a different event...but how can tehre be that much hail, that looks more like snow, and none of the cars appear fucked up?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't understand. I get that hail is a different event...but how can tehre be that much hail, that looks more like snow, and none of the cars appear fucked up?

The one time I've been to Estes it hailed in the afternoon.  It was slushy like that.  Came out of nowhere.

I left 2 years ago and no plan on going back to Texas. Wife and I got our U.K. passports in 2011 so was always the plan to get back to London. It just took a bit longer than planned when we moved back in 2020. Is London  forever? Maybe, maybe not, but Texas is no longer on the radar. And the longer we live here, most of the US won’t be either. Although we do talk about Santa Fe or San Diego at times.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots and lots of quarter (and smaller) size hail.  Just a huge volume of it.  Hail that small doesn't fuck up cars.  

49 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yes?

On 7/17/2022 at 9:55 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

The other thing that helps is happier parents are better parents, imo.  So, while they didn't understand all our reasons, they didn't get 'grumpy Dad' anywhere close to what they got in Texas.  

Different life circumstances and it wasn’t a geographical move but here to say how important happy parents are for kids. It might be the most important factor. I can attest.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wife is an OB and this handmaid tale bullshit has given us no choice but to sell our dream house here in Texas and look for a better place to raise our kids.  Currently looking at the west coast - Corvallis and around Santa Barbara are the first two opportunities we've started exploring - but we're soon to start applying in Colorado and Washington

Not ruling out an international move, though we'd have limited options as it would have to be english speaking and pay doctors a decent wage - hello Australia.

We've already explained to the kids that wherever we move its likely the house is going to be smaller and there won't be a pool - but that there will be plenty of other things to do and you won't melt into the pavement 9 months out of the year.  One 'benefit' of COVID (though I hate to use that word considering what a shit-storm its been) is that my kids have spent a lot more time with their siblings than they might have otherwise and don't really have close friends that will make the move harder.

Its pretty crushing thinking about the family, friends, and the great house we just bought a few years ago - but really don't see any other option. 

You need to leave. No question. The rest of us are in between realizing it and acting like an ostrich. 

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Horrifying.   I feel so bad for those who can't afford to find a way out.   Not counting the ones who voted for this shit of course.  

We find out after the fact that the house we rented was hit four times now when it was rented.  Perps went in and cut the well-hidden alarm wires.  Were aware when we weren’t there for the very first time.  Pretty easy to put the pieces together that this wasn’t random.  We are in a different place now and moving to a totally other neighborhood this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, mchookem said:

damn that sucks. you'd think there would have been reviews on AirBnB/VRBO or whatever you used, at least from the prior guests who were robbed. 

There was one mention of it.  We called the owner and talked to her about it.  She made it seem like it was something that happened a ways back between different renters.  We sort of shrugged and said whatever.  When the property manager came by after the robbery they told us that they’ve got 30 properties and this is the only one they’ve had incidents with.  Owner seemed to be in denial about it before but now snapped out.  She just told property manager to put it up for sale because they can’t rent it any more.   

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Foosters said:

Why'd you move away again?

COVID made me aware it was possible basically.  Everyone has been talking about remote work for decades now but no one does it. Then 2 years of it being forced on us at gunpoint and everything went well.  So we decided to give it a try for one year.  We are both too close to our families to make it permanent but you never know.  

It was made clear to me from the realtor in Atenas that petty theft of things you left out was common and that having a caretaker in property for when you were gone for weeks or months was a good idea. This sounds worse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

It was made clear to me from the realtor in Atenas that petty theft of things you left out was common and that having a caretaker in property for when you were gone for weeks or months was a good idea. This sounds worse

Eh, if the property manager is telling the truth about it being that specific property then it’s a neighbor and/or the owner is in on it.  And yeah, you don’t leave shit out and don’t leave stuff in cars. That kind of stuff and shoplifting also is getting really bad back home in Port A too.

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

@justhookit  you made it down here yet?

Got here a week ago and headed back home for the Alabama game. Plan going forward is to spend January-March and June- August down here and go from there. I can’t see us here full time yet.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, midtown said:

@justhookit @BehoId, The Underminer!

This just came on the market in Quepos.  You guys want to split it?  

https://crlre.com/properties/puerto-de-cielo-•-mixed-used-building/

Ha, I pass by that building almost every day and a friend of mine eats breakfast there all the time. Same friend just found a nice apartment to rent 3 blocks from there. Nice 2 bedroom with a/c and a balcony (jungle view) for 600 bucks.