The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

I moved from a suburb in Seattle to Seattle proper about six months ago. Didn’t get around to updating my driver’s license for a while. But I did get vote-by-mail cards for the primary prior to going to DMV. And voter guides. Landlords send in info when you sign a lease.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 5:11 PM, troph said:

And I don’t know if I want a major city and if we do I don’t think it’s a US city. I love the outdoors and being within walking distance of a trout stream would be ideal. That’s the idea behind tahoe or Colorado. And from Tahoe/truckee we can be in Yosemite or SF or Carmel or any other amazing spot for the weekend pretty easily (within a day of driving).   

There are a lot of places in there Bay Area that aren’t SF. We live in the East Bay in Moraga. But the whole area of Lafayette, Orinda and Walnut Creek are great. Of you Fing need to get into the city easily there are other communities to consider as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

There are a lot of places in there Bay Area that aren’t SF. We live in the East Bay in Moraga. But the whole area of Lafayette, Orinda and Walnut Creek are great. Of you Fing need to get into the city easily there are other communities to consider as well. 

WTF? That last sentence was meant to say “if you don’t need…”

10 hours ago, Tuco said:

I moved from a suburb in Seattle to Seattle proper about six months ago. Didn’t get around to updating my driver’s license for a while. But I did get vote-by-mail cards for the primary prior to going to DMV. And voter guides. Landlords send in info when you sign a lease.

So what I'm learning is that blue states actually want informed and educated citizens to participate and have democracy work the way it is supposed to, while red states want the complete opposite. 

That's reason enough for me to move right there.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what I'm learning is that blue states actually want informed and educated citizens to participate and have democracy work the way it is supposed to, while red states want the complete opposite. 

Red states only want certain people to vote 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Red states only want certain people to vote 

There has been a realization around here (correctly IMO) that Republican leadership in this state undermines government institutions to realize the self fulfilling prophesy that “government sucks.”  As an example, start with a presumption of “public education sucks”, defund it, mismanage it and guess what, you have in fact made “public education suck” as described in my original post.  Never mind that it was public education that was providing the broad baseline of education for society during the glory years of the 20th century when “America was great!”

The same thing is happening to the core concept of democracy in this country.  Take the people’s democracy, make it suck, and point at it and say, “Democracy sucks.  What you really want is effective leadership — even minority leadership — and we are just the minority for the job.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

18 hours ago, mchookem said:

so y'all know we're new Colorado residents. the voter registration discussion in the Abbott thread prompted me to share here...

you know how sometimes you don't realize how bad a situation is until you get out of it and can look back objectively, and you realize things do not have to be the way you just assumed they always were...?

first, two weeks after we went to the DMV and got our CO DLs we got letters saying 'congratulations! you were registered to vote during your recent DMV visit and you'll receive your ballots in the mail!' no special forms or anything, it just happened.

then...last week we got this nifty info book from the CO Legislative Council explaining every ballot measure in detail, providing analysis, cost breakdown, explaining what a yes or no vote means, presented with both for and against arguments. no purposely confusing wording trying to trick the electorate. it even provides a basic objective performance standard evaluation for all those judges on the ballot that you never heard of before. 

20221003_100135.thumb.jpg.0815b5a3a19172abce70f2c18f678435.jpg

20221003_102427.thumb.jpg.1c380703fffa76346579963f76e645f7.jpg

20221003_101315.thumb.jpg.9ecc1e2fca1efa6a725b5fd8ccff8aaa.jpg

finally...some of what's on the ballot... 😮

20221003_100033.thumb.jpg.3ecac790825a4af28aeaa58eb3568d93.jpg

20221003_100019.thumb.jpg.e6b329424fd58f874e1dd931d2d69e27.jpg

20221003_100329.thumb.jpg.54e0c72547d990e67c3c0c587ca6108e.jpg

i mean wtf... it's like this state wants informed, educated voters to be able to vote with ease with a minimum of roadblocks. 

1772259055_tenor(6).gif.7b3fbd1095ce3075344b56ddbb80ff30.gif

i legit feel like i've escaped an abusive relationship lol

and it was EASY for me to vote in Texas!

Other states don't want to create vague proposition/referendum titles and withhold detailed impact analysis?

Nothing better than to vote for a "Save the Wetlands for puppies and kittens" proposition, and later realize it was a tax break for petrochemical plants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Living in Texas at this point is like realizing that your current boyfriend isn’t just an asshole that you’re too lazy to leave because you share a lease on an apartment you really like, but that he’s also been actively taking out credit cards in your name and cheating on you all over town.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

Yep. The cynic in me would say that when the majority party benefits from greater voter participation suddenly access to the polls magically becomes less complicated. But, beyond just maintaining power, I do think their are ideological differences regarding democracy.

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's nice, isn't it?  And when you complete your ballot, you can drop it off in any one of hundreds of drop boxes in your county (there is one at the library about a half mile from my house).  You will get one text when your ballot is received and another when it is certified and counted.

All voting should be done the way we do it here.

Yep.  And again, pretty much same in Oregon.  And probably some other states that aren’t hellbent on theocracy.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

Living in Texas at this point is like realizing that your current boyfriend isn’t just an asshole that you’re too lazy to leave because you share a lease on an apartment you really like, but that he’s also been actively taking out credit cards in your name and cheating on you all over town.

And you have to stay because of the kids...

1 hour ago, bonnieblue said:

Have some gawdammed self respect, citizen!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's nice, isn't it?  And when you complete your ballot, you can drop it off in any one of hundreds of drop boxes in your county (there is one at the library about a half mile from my house).  You will get one text when your ballot is received and another when it is certified and counted.

All voting should be done the way we do it here.

Seriously, is this not how it is in Texas? I only lived in Texas long enough to participate in two elections in the 80-90s. 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, mchookem said:

so y'all know we're new Colorado residents. the voter registration discussion in the Abbott thread prompted me to share here...

you know how sometimes you don't realize how bad a situation is until you get out of it and can look back objectively, and you realize things do not have to be the way you just assumed they always were...?

first, two weeks after we went to the DMV and got our CO DLs we got letters saying 'congratulations! you were registered to vote during your recent DMV visit and you'll receive your ballots in the mail!' no special forms or anything, it just happened.

then...last week we got this nifty info book from the CO Legislative Council explaining every ballot measure in detail, providing analysis, cost breakdown, explaining what a yes or no vote means, presented with both for and against arguments. no purposely confusing wording trying to trick the electorate. it even provides a basic objective performance standard evaluation for all those judges on the ballot that you never heard of before. 

i mean wtf... it's like this state wants informed, educated voters to be able to vote with ease with a minimum of roadblocks. 

Yet Boobert was still elected there...

10 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

FUCK this is one of the best descriptions I've seen

• Hook 'Em 1

Colorado is schizophrenic in its political breakdown.  It’s reliably blue overall and that controls law and policy at the state level, but the rural counties that are relatively poor and with low education levels are seething red boils of conservative hysteria.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just went and voted against every republican on the ballot (except for 1 running unopposed where I was a no vote) in Wake County NC. Voted against the batshit nonpartisan republican lady for school board as well. Felt nice.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3

Pretty sure we're going to need a plain ol "expatriates" thread in a few years.  Every time I check on the SC, I'm reminded that there is no real state in the US you can run to.    Given I can't leave for at least 6, I'm wondering what language I should start to learn.  Or if New Zealand will let me in at age 60ish.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Pretty sure we're going to need a plain ol "expatriates" thread in a few years.  Every time I check on the SC, I'm reminded that there is no real state in the US you can run to.    Given I can't leave for at least 6, I'm wondering what language I should start to learn.  Or if New Zealand will let me in at age 60ish.

We have one already 

• Like 1

Wife finally submitted her application for a job at LANL in New Mexico last night.  If she gets this, we are so fucking gone...

Same - not the Los Alamos part, but with out of state applications in general. Our lease is up in February, wife’s current job is not location flexible, while mine is. She’s just started applying to jobs in the areas we’ve narrowed down as possibilities. Fingers crossed.

This is, of course, ultimately true if the GOP every obtains a trifecta under this court.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:55 PM, mchookem said:

so i spent about 1 1/2 hours with my ballot and booklets (more than one bc we also got a local city/county of Denver book!), reading everything in detail, weighing the arguments and completing my vote. then walked about 1/4 mile to the ballot drop-off location in my neighborhood. 

what a wonderfully strange new experience 🙂

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so i spent about 1 1/2 hours with my ballot and booklets (more than one bc we also got a local city/county of Denver book!), reading everything in detail, weighing the arguments and completing my vote. then walked about 1/4 mile to the ballot drop-off location in my neighborhood. 

How'd you vote on the magic mushrooms proposition?

24 minutes ago, mchookem said:

dropped my ballot in the mail Monday.  On Tuesday, I got a text from the Registrar saying my ballot was received and counted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, 'stache said:

I'm facing this conundrum right now but from Oklahoma. We bought what should be our final family "dream" house two years ago. We have established roots here in the community among mostly like-minded people and people of different political beliefs but who can be reasonable and honest in debates. My kids have friends here and are happy. But, in addition to the shitty politics statewide, and unlike most of Texas, our economy is stagnant without any real prospects of improvement. I'd like to see some growth but not Austin rate growth but we are, if anything, shrinking. I am 100% certain that neither of my kids will live here as adults and I honestly wouldn't ask them to even consider it, get a better college education than me and find a place that you mostly enjoy. I've contemplated if I move I'd like an urban environment where I can walk for most of my day to day needs. I'm not much for rural isolation. The problem is that most urban cities, even with liberal politics, come with a whole host of other problems, like affordability. I'm pretty much resigned to staying here but if an opportunity arose I'd strongly consider it. I have friends in Minneapolis and have considered it because it is on several top 10 lists for things I find important. It would be a big adjustment to winter weather, but it's not any more extreme than the fact it's been over 100 degree heat index consistently for the last two weeks. I'm sure I'll just keep ruminating until I'm an old man still here under complete theocracy which I feel is a serious possibility.

Minneapolis remains a strong contender for me. I'm planning a family trip up there soon to see some of the neighborhoods. I've been a few times and liked everything I saw and the city is in the top 5 or 10 of a bunch of quality of life rankings. I can adjust to wearing a coat more often.

image.png.903010c1a97cc0a7556b77be0ceb54a5.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Colorado did just fine in my book.  I personally have a republican representative in the US congress, but that's just a continuation of the status quo and a given for where I live.  All the major state races went Dem.  If Boebert loses, I'm going to be giddy as fuck.

• Like 1

Cool thing about Washington state part 879:
I am a professional engineer in multiple states including Nebraska and Texas. I recently got a license in Washington. Washington is the first state I’ve been licensed in that has sent a questionnaire/survey about building code changes the leg was looking to adopt. Rather than just blindly following whatever code changes are adopted nationally with additions/removals driven by lobbyists and special interest groups, they are asking for feedback from the people who use the codes on a regular basis. It’s a pretty simple thing that becomes obvious when you shift your perspective to serving the public.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Colorado did just fine in my book.  I personally have a republican representative in the US congress, but that's just a continuation of the status quo and a given for where I live.  All the major state races went Dem.  If Boebert loses, I'm going to be giddy as fuck.

Co definitely did well.  Gonna be really, really good if Tits McGhee is really out.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Minneapolis, Seattle, Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia are the leaders in the clubhouse. 

Back to Denver is a possibility.  Baltimore is a sleeper.

I can't believe I'd ever say this, but Philly is growing on me too. I've loved my visits there and their role in these elections has been inspiring. But goddamn if I have to interact with Eagles fans.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well they haven't voted blue since 2008, have 2 GOP senators and just flipped their supreme court to the GOP

It's ugly there.

Yup. I considered NC but it's off my list. It's also very much traditionally "southern" and I'm looking to get away from that in general.

Edited by 'stache

Wife and I are in NM right now.  She got up this morning and started looking up all the TX results and reading them to me, and I said, "You might as well be looking up the NM results, because we're not going to be living the majority of the next 4 years in TX.  At least I'm not."

• Hook 'Em 5

• 1 month later...