The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

1 hour ago, troph said:

You very well may be right. Our experience in 2019 in Greece was great BUT we were mostly on islands. Mykonos is a gay Mecca and Athens was fine. I don’t know about their laws and culture for a permanent home.  Spain and Portugal are likely our first choices. We will probably take a look in person next summer.  

Sicily is a gay mecca too.  

Greece has its on right wing extremism problem. They took down Golden Dawn, but they seem to be reforming. Golden Dawn was/is a neo-nazi political party that has a policy position of putting immigrants into labor camps. They are also Anti-LGBT

https://www.politico.eu/article/street-brawls-nazi-salutes-greece-grapples-with-far-right-resurgence/

The Golden Dawn leaders are still cultivating an audience from prison while new far-right parties gain traction. And observers say tempered variations of these extremist views are seeping into more mainstream discourse, pointing to a recent open letter from legal, academic and military figures lamenting the erosion of Greece’s national identity and blaming, in part, a focus on LGBTQ+ equality. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Greece has its on right wing extremism problem. They took down Golden Dawn, but they seem to be reforming. Golden Dawn was/is a neo-nazi political party that has a policy position of putting immigrants into labor camps. They are also Anti-LGBT

https://www.politico.eu/article/street-brawls-nazi-salutes-greece-grapples-with-far-right-resurgence/

They misspelled Asian.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How does it compare to all of Europe?  Even Spain has the Vox Party. I don’t think we can truly find a perfect safe haven. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:05 AM, Goofyboy said:

You and I seem to have similar plans. I think we are moving up our time line some. Sell the wife’s business in the next 3-4 years - start the golden visa process in Europe - most likely Portugal. Canada is still an option as well, but they don’t have a buy your way in anymore.

Is anyone worried about the US freezing assets to keep people here?

yes. I can see a few flavors of things here. First, if you had a successful Jan 6th type event you may see issues with financial sanctions/restrictions (like with Russia) but who knows to what extent. On top of that I am worried about passport/citizenship actions that may limit your ability to be an American overseas. These are obviously loose worries now but I think the basic ingredients are there for these types of things to come into play in the next 5 years. My two cents.

11 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I started an American Death Spiral thread for this. Those of you so fed up with Texas that you think another state is the solve are missing the forest for the trees.

In the long run, you're probably right.  Not even that long I imagine.  In the here and now though, I have never been happier in my whole life.   Unlike leaving Texas, I would be angry and sad at having to leave my own version of heaven.

Also, I had my kids later in life than many.   The move was hard on them emotionally for quite some time.  And then Covid happened and made it even more difficult for them. The isolation after feeling isolated already was rough.    I won't uproot them again when they are both finding their spaces, their friends, the activities they enjoy.  I'm in the US for at least the next 7-8 years.  And in that time frame I will be nearing or entering my sixties.  Will re-evaluate then.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Every country has intolerant people. I would guess that the number of intolerant people and how their ignorant beliefs shift to actions is important to know.

Of course. Two points - it’s on the rise everywhere and as the US goes often times the west goes, so it’s unlikely a perfect spot can be found.  The best spot may be Costa Rica but I don’t want the heat.

@MC Fresh Breath same but staying in Austin for 6 years while making plans. Life changes were hard we all recovered and then covid. Kids in a groove now we won’t leave until they are out. We will start the process though.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I started an American Death Spiral thread for this. Those of you so fed up with Texas that you think another state is the solve are missing the forest for the trees.

and this ^ indeed

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Feel like their are several areas of thought here. Some just want to escape the Texas heat and perhaps live somewhere else cheaper. Others don’t like the Texas politics. Finally we have some that seem to think the US will fail or seize your assets.

I truly doubt freezing assets will occur, a heavy excise tax for leaving though? Yeah that’s easy to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, troph said:

I truly doubt freezing assets will occur, a heavy excise tax for leaving though? Yeah that’s easy to see. 

I also don’t think we’re anywhere near any type of asset freezing policy. One there isn’t a wide spread fear of assets fleeing the US. Second, any policy would many impact wealthy individuals and they’re never the first people to pay. Freezing assets would be telegraphed long before it would occur.

now the scenario is abandoning US. Citizenship, then that is a whole other situation. I would also advise against anyone even contemplating that move unless you have millions and millions socked away.

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also don’t think we’re anywhere near any type of asset freezing policy. One there isn’t a wide spread fear of assets fleeing the US. Second, any policy would many impact wealthy individuals and they’re never the first people to pay. Freezing assets would be telegraphed long before it would occur.

now the scenario is abandoning US. Citizenship, then that is a whole other situation. I would also advise against anyone even contemplating that move unless you have millions and millions socked away.

while I don't think flat out freezing of assets will occur, that doesn't mean there aren't alarms sounding everywhere, everyday.  There are men marching in boston with face coverings and militias attempting to ran sack coffee shops.  there was an armed insurrection and a president of the united states who actively promoted it and wanted to lead it physically in a march to the Capitol. When the VP was threatened, the president said the VP deserved to die.  The SCOTUS has created a master precedent that has no logical basis whatsoever and will allow them to do his bidding. SCOTUS is aware that the gerrymandered districts in swing states give artificial control and now laws that allow them to pick electors despite the majority vote is up in the next term for the Court to hear.  Ken Paxton says the states should be allowed to enforce laws that make it criminal to love who you love.  Bodily autonomy is gone. Precedent and the rule of law is gone.  Voting rights have been slashed. Police forces are letting kids die and innocent people who want to enjoy a drag show be attacked. What does that all mean?

It means we are very close to them doing whatever the fuck they want to do.

The moment you realize that, your life will change.  maybe it doesn't impact you, but there's about half the country that has at least one box checked if not more that makes us an enemy of this State.  So yeah, an excise tax upon applying for residency in a foreign country, moving a certain amount of money out of the US, and certainly upon applying for citizenship in a safe(r) nation, yeah they can do it, it's all whether they want to.  They want me dead, they want my people gone, censored, forgotten, erased, I have no doubt a boot out the door and a cash grab is completely within their feeble imagination. strike that, their imagination isn't feeble, it's quite impressive and evil at the same time.

We are one court case from them doing whatever the fuck they want to do.  don't kid yourself.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, troph said:

Of course. Two points - it’s on the rise everywhere and as the US goes often times the west goes, so it’s unlikely a perfect spot can be found.  The best spot may be Costa Rica but I don’t want the heat.

@MC Fresh Breath same but staying in Austin for 6 years while making plans. Life changes were hard we all recovered and then covid. Kids in a groove now we won’t leave until they are out. We will start the process though.

Some of the mountain towns are cool to occasionally downright cold. I always here a lot of good things about San Isidro and it’s still les than an hour from the beach. There are other mountain towns too with good food/services I just haven’t really looked around - I’ve got to be at a marina.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Some of the mountain towns are cool to occasionally downright cold. I always here a lot of good things about San Isidro and it’s still les than an hour from the beach. There are other mountain towns too with good food/services I just haven’t really looked around - I’ve got to be at a marina.

you know you are right. I've got some friends that love the CR mountains. I forgot about that. I'll give it a look. actually we drove through there on our way to Domincal once before. saw a guy rolling in the street about 10pm on a saturday night while his buddies cheered him on. looked like he was having a great time.

Edited by troph

17 minutes ago, troph said:

you know you are right. I've got some friends that love the CR mountains. I forgot about that. I'll give it a look. actually we drove through there on our way to Domincal once before. saw a guy rolling in the street about 10pm on a saturday night while his buddies cheered him on. looked like he was having a great time.

I forgot about Escazu which is the “trendy” suburb of San Jose. @midtownor someone on here I know has spent a little time there.  I’m sure your friends would know more about some of the other mountain towns.

You very well may be right. Our experience in 2019 in Greece was great BUT we were mostly on islands. Mykonos is a gay Mecca and Athens was fine. I don’t know about their laws and culture for a permanent home.  Spain and Portugal are likely our first choices. We will probably take a look in person next summer.  

Politics completely aside, Spain is a gorgeous country with incredible food, geographical variety, and an excellent HSR system. I would move there in a heartbeat.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Politics completely aside, Spain is a gorgeous country with incredible food, geographical variety, and an excellent HSR system. I would move there in a heartbeat.

Barcelona climate - even adding a few degrees for climate change, I can deal with this.

Month High / Low (°F) Rain

January 59° / 48° 4 days

February 59° / 47° 4 days

March 63° / 50° 5 days

April 67° / 55° 6 days

May 73° / 60°4 days

June 80° / 68° 3 days

July 84° / 73° 1 day

August 85° / 74° 2 days

September 79° / 69° 4 days

October 73° / 62° 6 days

November 65° / 54° 5 days

December 60° / 49° 3 days

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

I forgot about Escazu which is the “trendy” suburb of San Jose. @midtownor someone on here I know has spent a little time there.  I’m sure your friends would know more about some of the other mountain towns.

I've only looked at homes in Atenas.   When people talk about mtns and expats in CR I believe they are referring to the central valley (even though it not a valley) which is West of SJO.   San Ramon, Atenas and all the little towns that cater to ex-pats.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I have heard that Spaniards aren't particularly welcoming to foreigners, especially those for which Spanish is not their native language. Somewhat clique-ish is maybe the best description?

Curious if others have heard similar 

• Hook 'Em 2

I love Spain and I have wanted to live there since I was a kid. I used to spend summers in Spain with family. In college while backpacking Europe Spain was my base of operations. I never felt like a foreigner in Spain like I did in other countries. I've been to Spain many times throughout my career as well.

I really love the place and the people but I have to say it has it's ugly side too.

The racism in Spain is on a different level. They don't hide it. I've seen blacks denied entrance to restaurants, harassed in the streets, they definitely are not politically correct at all. Shit is nothing like here.

Like every other place life is easier for those that are not different. If you are a straight Iberian male nobody fucks with you.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I love Spain and I have wanted to live there since I was a kid. I used to spend summers in Spain with family. In college while backpacking Europe Spain was my base of operations. I never felt like a foreigner in Spain like I did in other countries. I've been to Spain many times throughout my career as well.

I really love the place and the people but I have to say it has it's ugly side too.

The racism in Spain is on a different level. They don't hide it. I've seen blacks denied entrance to restaurants, harassed in the streets, they definitely are not politically correct at all. Shit is nothing like here.

Like every other place life is easier for those that are not different. If you are a straight Iberian male nobody fucks with you.

We love Spain and plan on retiring there. I have no illusions that politics, society, and policies there are any better there than here. But it feels like I can live there and not be affected by any of that. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm definitely not as invested in their politics as I am here. I just can't ignore it here, as this is my country of origin. Even though 95% of what's going on here has no effect on me. I'm a white, upper middle class straight male. In another country I think I can live there and just enjoy life and have zero investment in their politics. I can always just leave and go somewhere else. I guess we'll find out in 3 1/2 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We love Spain and plan on retiring there. I have no illusions that politics, society, and policies there are any better there than here. But it feels like I can live there and not be affected by any of that. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm definitely not as invested in their politics as I am here. I just can't ignore it here, as this is my country of origin. Even though 95% of what's going on here has no effect on me. I'm a white, upper middle class straight male. In another country I think I can live there and just enjoy life and have zero investment in their politics. I can always just leave and go somewhere else. I guess we'll find out in 3 1/2 years. 

Well said, that’s our thinking too. 

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I have heard that Spaniards aren't particularly welcoming to foreigners, especially those for which Spanish is not their native language. Somewhat clique-ish is maybe the best description?

Curious if others have heard similar 

Went to Barcelona in 2001. A bar in the El Raval barrio wouldn’t let the group of American 20-somethings I was with into the bar.

Later, we flew from Madrid back to Barcelona. Policia checked passports in Barcelona when flying from Madrid. In Barcelona, they don’t speak Spanish; they speak Catalon. They are very very provincial. That same trip, the janitorial workers were on strike and covered the entire floor of the airport with confetti. I suppose they really wanted to make a point because they made a mess they had to later clean up.

All that said, Barcelona is an amazing city. 

Y’all realize half of America wants to kill us trannies but only after watching us fuck / be fucked by our girlfriends right ?  I’d love to simply be subject to ordinary discrimination against “Americans” in Spain. I get Barcelona is Catalonia first. Again no where is perfect if you’re checking a minority box, especially not here. 

truth be told I’d rather live near Nice, France but they don’t have an easy path. I’m not even going to show you that real estate, the board would stop while everyone rubbed one out. How do you say ‘Mercia in French? 

17 minutes ago, troph said:

Y’all realize half of America wants to kill us trannies but only after watching us fuck / be fucked by our girlfriends right ?  I’d love to simply be subject to ordinary discrimination against “Americans” in Spain. I get Barcelona is Catalonia first. Again no where is perfect if you’re checking a minority box, especially not here. 

truth be told I’d rather live near Nice, France but they don’t have an easy path. I’m not even going to show you that real estate, the board would stop while everyone rubbed one out. How do you say ‘Mercia in French? 

My point was Spain isn't exactly a sanctuary for minority groups who do not feel comfortable in the U.S. The discrimination and violence exists there too. I've seen more of it there than I have in the U.S. As someone that has spent a lot of non-tourist time in Spain I am just trying to give a heads up.

26 minutes ago, troph said:

When I lived over there, they had "ricain" or "amerlok" as mildly pejorative slang terms for an American. I don't recall an equivalent for the whole of America.

Not sure what the kids in France are saying these days. Since they've got the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if "Merica" is used there too.

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

My point was Spain isn't exactly a sanctuary for minority groups who do not feel comfortable in the U.S. The discrimination and violence exists there too. I've seen more of it there than I have in the U.S. As someone that has spent a lot of non-tourist time in Spain I am just trying to give a heads up.

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

When I lived over there, they had "ricain" or "amerlok" as mildly pejorative slang terms for an American. I don't recall an equivalent for the whole of America.

Not sure what the kids in France are saying these days. Since they've got the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if "Merica" is used there too.

there isn't a country on Earth that won't discriminate against me if I'm not careful.  I'm pretty fucking aware of that. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

there isn't a country on Earth that won't discriminate against me if I'm not careful.  I'm pretty fucking aware of that. 

I'm aware of that too. It's awful and shameful, but I was only trying to answer your question about what the French term for 'Merica might be.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Hey Chica, I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care about you and others. I think you know that. Be careful wherever you go.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, F250 said:

Hey Chica, I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care about you and others. I think you know that. Be careful wherever you go.

Sorry I lashed out. I’m pretty raw these days at least on line and in my head space. 

Most of what I’m looking to avoid is the political barrage and find compelling weather where I can do my hobbies, and so the question is really where is the weather amazing and the laws unlikely to turn on me. Oddly (maybe), being denied entrance somewhere trivial like a cafe concerns me less. We are boring so wrong place, wrong time is less likely.  We are friendly and charming (except on the internet) so I know we can make friends. What I’m really tired of is the national discourse where 50% of people truly think I’m gross, a sinner or worse a visceral threat to their way of life. I’m tired of the threat of reversing laws. So I guess what I’m saying is I expect discrimination, the question is can I avoid existential discrimination. It’s looking more and more likely Texas is not that place. We all know rural even in a blue state isn’t likely a great answer though I’m less likely to want rural in another country so if we go hard to the outdoors that’s still US mountain country. So now it’s golden visas/world class cities to consider. The advantage of Europe is among other things we don’t have to be invested in their politics bc we aren’t invited to the party by design.  That mental space is appealing, even if the possibility of occasional and individual discrimination is likely. 

I really want France but no property visa. I’d love to be on a cliff looking at the Med and a short drive to Cannes or something. That might make me feel like in the case of Troph v Paxton that I won, because in the end, a lot of this is about finding a way to feel like I won. 

the fact is this won’t happen fast, we are a year at least from actually shopping, then it’s multiple years of summer living at most while my kids finish school, so at least for now this is just all talk. So I appreciate the warning. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

All of this because the dominant politics class can’t just leave people the fuck alone. Don’t like gay or trans people? Groovy…leave em the fuck alone. Don’t want an abortion? Don’t get one. Don’t like all those slutty women getting pregnant? Cool…leave em the fuck alone to get birth control.

My wife got a message from an old friend this morning. They are moving to Scotland. They just can’t do this shit anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

13 hours ago, GenXer said:

Went to Barcelona in 2001. A bar in the El Raval barrio wouldn’t let the group of American 20-somethings I was with into the bar.

Later, we flew from Madrid back to Barcelona. Policia checked passports in Barcelona when flying from Madrid. In Barcelona, they don’t speak Spanish; they speak Catalon. They are very very provincial. That same trip, the janitorial workers were on strike and covered the entire floor of the airport with confetti. I suppose they really wanted to make a point because they made a mess they had to later clean up.

All that said, Barcelona is an amazing city. 

That might be the "official" language, but they speak both. If you speak Spanish you will have zero issues in Barcelona. 

8 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

That might be the "official" language, but they speak both. If you speak Spanish you will have zero issues in Barcelona. 

Wifey speaks Spanish and I’ll learn it, I need something to occupy my mind.  

Edited by troph

We are doing a test run in Costa Rica in the next month or so. I’ve never spent more than a week there during the rainy season. This trip we will be there at least a month but probably longer. My only concern is getting back before the Alabama game.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

We are doing a test run in Costa Rica in the next month or so. I’ve never spent more than a week there during the rainy season. This trip we will be there at least a month but probably longer. My only concern is getting back before the Alabama game.

#winning 

Emotion Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Sicily is a gay mecca too.  

Remember when that sentence would have been read as an insult against Sicily?

Despite all the rest of the shittiness, or maybe because of it, it is worth noting much of it is a reaction to progress.

Not fast enough. Not full enough. But still progress.

You guys mean the same Spain whose soccer team that engages in overt racism in modern times like still throws bananas at African teams and does the “slit eyed” with their fingers pose when playing Asian teams is going to discriminate against American minorities too? Well I’m shocked.

2 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

You guys mean the same Spain whose soccer team that engages in overt racism in modern times like still throws bananas at African teams and does the “slit eyed” with their fingers pose when playing Asian teams is going to discriminate against American minorities too? Well I’m shocked.

bananas ?  

Meanwhile in the US, any loon can unload 30 rounds of ammunition at anyone and everyone they hate, even people they don’t hate in less than 60 seconds.  Anyone who thinks there aren’t 20 countries that are better to live in over the US right now are probably straight white men, a straight white woman married to a straight white man, a Trumper, or they are living under a rock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry I lashed out. I’m pretty raw these days at least on line and in my head space. 

Most of what I’m looking to avoid is the political barrage and find compelling weather where I can do my hobbies, and so the question is really where is the weather amazing and the laws unlikely to turn on me. Oddly (maybe), being denied entrance somewhere trivial like a cafe concerns me less. We are boring so wrong place, wrong time is less likely.  We are friendly and charming (except on the internet) so I know we can make friends. What I’m really tired of is the national discourse where 50% of people truly think I’m gross, a sinner or worse a visceral threat to their way of life. I’m tired of the threat of reversing laws. So I guess what I’m saying is I expect discrimination, the question is can I avoid existential discrimination. It’s looking more and more likely Texas is not that place. We all know rural even in a blue state isn’t likely a great answer though I’m less likely to want rural in another country so if we go hard to the outdoors that’s still US mountain country. So now it’s golden visas/world class cities to consider. The advantage of Europe is among other things we don’t have to be invested in their politics bc we aren’t invited to the party by design.  That mental space is appealing, even if the possibility of occasional and individual discrimination is likely. 

I really want France but no property visa. I’d love to be on a cliff looking at the Med and a short drive to Cannes or something. That might make me feel like in the case of Troph v Paxton that I won, because in the end, a lot of this is about finding a way to feel like I won. 

the fact is this won’t happen fast, we are a year at least from actually shopping, then it’s multiple years of summer living at most while my kids finish school, so at least for now this is just all talk. So I appreciate the warning. 

Cliche yes, but come to San Francisco. I'm a cis, hetero, male. A large percentage of my inner circle is LGBTQ. Half of them are here because they were passing through at some point for whatever reason, and just never left. They were home. It's not perfect by any means, but I think we have an exceptionally inclusive community. Im happy to be part of it. I think the same can be said in San Diego or LA, I have close friends living happily in both.
If you're not a dick they will.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Cliche yes, but come to San Francisco. I'm a cis, hetero, male. A large percentage of my inner circle is LGBTQ. Half of them are here because they were passing through at some point for whatever reason, and just never left. They were home. It's not perfect by any means, but I think we have an exceptionally inclusive community. Im happy to be part of it. I think the same can be said in San Diego or LA, I have close friends living happily in both.
If you're not a dick they will.

This is very true. My wife was born in Berkeley. Two of her sisters live in the bay and one other lives in Sac. The whole state is much more accepting of the rainbow. However, I think the real issue is this entire country as a whole and not just the state of Texas.

27 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This is very true. My wife was born in Berkeley. Two of her sisters live in the bay and one other lives in Sac. The whole state is much more accepting of the rainbow. However, I think the real issue is this entire country as a whole and not just the state of Texas.

And I don’t know if I want a major city and if we do I don’t think it’s a US city. I love the outdoors and being within walking distance of a trout stream would be ideal. That’s the idea behind tahoe or Colorado. And from Tahoe/truckee we can be in Yosemite or SF or Carmel or any other amazing spot for the weekend pretty easily (within a day of driving).   

• Hook 'Em 1