Atlanta

Assman

My wife and I will be going to a concert in a couple months at Mercedes Benz Stadium in downtown Atlanta.  What areas should I be looking at to book our hotel?  Last time I stayed in Atlanta was 10 years ago and I've heard some of the areas have changed a bit since.  I don't want to stay downtown near the stadium.  We will have a car so I'm not afraid of a drive.  I just want a nice area with cool bars and restaurants within walking distance.  Something like a Dallas Uptown/Knox-Henderson/Lower Greenville type vibe where I won't get shot.

Stay in Midtown.  Plenty of hotels from around North Avenue to 14th street.  Georgia Tech is just across the highway on 10th street so it’s a pretty safe area. Lots of restaurants and bars in the area and better nightlife than downtown.  

Mercedes’ Benz stadium is a cheap Uber ride from their. Or you can take MARTA 

Edited by EuroHorn

Forgot to add that they just built a really nice Marriott courtyard across the street from the Fox Theater on Peachtree Street.  Also , the heart of midtown is about at 10th street and Peachtree but anything down to North Avenue or up to 14th street is good and walking distance 

3 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

r you can take MARTA

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

MARTA sucks from midtown to MB/world congress.  You have I change trains and platforms. Not a straight shot

Also, be prepared to see some “humanity” on MARTA.  

Last time I did that ride a dude shit himself.  Not sure if he was drunk, mentally ill or both. He didn’t care and continued to paw at his balls as shit dripped out of his sweatpants.  I immediately got off the train at the next stop.  Of the 6 or so MARTA rides that week that was the worst thing I saw, but was NOT an isolated incident of disgusting subway reality.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Incredulity said:

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

MARTA sucks from midtown to MB/world congress.  You have I change trains and platforms. Not a straight shot

Also, be prepared to see some “humanity” on MARTA.  

Last time I did that ride a dude shit himself.  Not sure if he was drunk, mentally ill or both. He didn’t care and continued to paw at his balls as shit dripped out of his sweatpants.  I immediately got off the train at the next stop.  Of the 6 or so MARTA rides that week that was the worst thing I saw, but was NOT an isolated incident of disgusting subway reality.

Yeah, I would spring for the Uber.

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Yeah, I would spring for the Uber.

Never had any issues on Marta. Although I haven’t ridden it since the pandemic. Given I live in Atlanta, it’s been a very good option. Although I prefer Uber, it’s a better way to get to and from the office which is only two stops away 

West Midtown is one of the closest hotspots for bars and restaurants. There are also a shit ton of breweries in the area if you like that sort of thing (I do).

Also close is the area from Old Fourth Ward to Virginia Highlands around the beltline.

Personally I would not ride MARTA after dark when Uber is an option.

• Hook 'Em 1