Straight nasty, dirty, filthy pitches

shadow_operative

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, shadow_operative said:

This dude is an amazing story.  He went to a D3 university and sucked, partly because he lost 30 pounds during the season.  After his soph year, he had a blood test for a summer internship and they found out he had diabetes.  Not surprisingly, he improved a lot the next season, and then transferred to D1 Gardner-Webb.  Killed there and got drafted in the 3rd round, missed most of last season with a shoulder injury.  Started 2023 in AA, got moved to AAA after 1 start -- in his first AAA start, he threw 5 perfect innings with 11 Ks and got the call. 

• Like 2

Being kind of an old and out of touch guy, when I was playing baseball and watching it exclusively as my favorite sport, there were two pitching motions: The Wind-Up and the Stretch.

Do major league pitchers not pitch from the wind-up anymore? All these posts seem to be from the stretch. I always thought to get the full and optimal benefit of whatever pitch (movement on slider, speed on fastball, etc.) you needed to wind-up and from the stretch you lose a little bit, but these guys are all hitting 100+ from the stretch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...