2023 QB Arch Manning

Big Woodrows

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Had somebody who I know from way back tell me Arch and his camp have been negotiating with Texas and Bama for the last few months and won out with our deal. Anybody got insight on that? Thought this really came down to a battle between us (presumably) and Georgia.

i feel confident Sark won't go full Jimbo when Saban whines about competing with Texas money. 

rdj-15.jpg

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

How could you forget those cretins dubbing Colt "Cart McCry" after Kellen Heard's illegal hit?! Colt got hit a solid 10 seconds after the whistle was blown. All of our collective blood was boiling that day.

Rig 12 officials with their dicks in their hands then too.

I'm thinking going to the SEC sooner rather than later would be the best for Arch too. The officiating is chickenshit in the big12 I'm sure the Manning family is aware and wants him to play in a legit conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Had somebody who I know from way back tell me Arch and his camp have been negotiating with Texas and Bama for the last few months and won out with our deal. Anybody got insight on that? Thought this really came down to a battle between us (presumably) and Georgia.

It's 100% player development and 0% NIL money.

He's playing college ball to get that #1 pick in the NFL draft, which actually come with much more $$. His family is loaded anyway he doesn't need quick cash now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah I’m sure the recruitment of a Manning came down to NIL money. They desperately need the cash.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah I’m sure the recruitment of a Manning came down to NIL money. They desperately need the cash.

That makes perfect sense but if Ewers got $4M to come down to Austin -- or whatever it was -- I'm sure the numbers will be comparable for Arch, whether he needs it or not. That's why I can't see this being a situation where it's the Mannings trying to exact as much money as they can by playing two schools off each other. It's more, "hey what's the best spot to set Arch up to be the #1 overall pick in the 2026 NFL Draft" in addition to where he'd rather be. Sounds like Austin fit the bill on both counts. 

The 'QB Development is greater than any silly money' argument is funny AF.  Texas has all the money in the world and virtually no QB development since Colt McCoy.  Of course it is because of the money.  Own that.  It's who you are.

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

The 'QB Development is greater than any silly money' argument is funny AF.  Texas has all the money in the world and virtually no QB development since Colt McCoy.  Of course it is because of the money.  Own that.  It's who you are.

Shawn Watson and Tim Beck aren’t walking back through that door. You can disagree with their assessment, but it has been widely reported that the Manning Family think highly of Sark’s QB development track record, and that was a real factor in this decision. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

This is an idiotic post. A school doesn't develop players, the coaches do. We haven’t had an offensive minded HC like Sark in a while.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

This is just wrong on so many levels. You talking about QB development of coaches not at Texas. YOu do honestly think money was the issue for Manning? HE was going to get paid anywhere he was going go. Plenty of recruitments that will come down to money, but if you think that is was the biggest factor in this recruitment you are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

This is just wrong on so many levels. You talking about QB development of coaches not at Texas. YOu do honestly think money was the issue for Manning? HE was going to get paid anywhere he was going go. Plenty of recruitments that will come down to money, but if you think that is was the biggest factor in this recruitment you are wrong. 

Agreed that it was likely  not THE deciding factor.  The notion that money isn't a factor, not by you but in the thread,  is wrong too.

I find it funny that the rival fans would pick and choose either the current coaching staff or the school to make an argument against you. If the program has been down a few years and they got a new coaching staff, they would ignore the new coaches and use the school's recent record against you. If it's vice versa, they will conveniently use the new coach's resume instead of the program's past success. You can't have it both ways!

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UTEE97 said:

I find it funny that the rival fans would pick and choose of either the current coaching staff or the school to make an argument against you. If the program has been down a few years and they got a new coaching staff, they would ignore the new coaches and use the school's recent record against you. If it's vice versa, they will conveniently use the new coach's resume instead of the program's past success. You can't have it both ways!

i didn't argue against Sark's record.  It's the most positive factor in the equation.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No, I think slorch is on to something. I think it was a bidding war, and /checks notes/ Georgia and Alabama just allowed themselves to get outbid.  As they so often do. 

For the number 1 recruit in the country. Because UT has a long-standing tradition of/checks notes/losing out on pretty much every situation where money is the determining factor, while Bama and Georgia have turned it into a science. 

Setting aside your bias as a rival fan, ask yourself these questions:

1. Does UGA have any problem buying 5 stars? How many 5 stars do they normally land per year?

2. Would Arch have trouble getting lucrative deals in Athens or anywhere in the country?

3. Was Tom Herman or Charlie Strong good QB developer? So why would their track record be held against Texas?

4. Does Sark have a good track record of developing QBs?

5. Does Texas have the offensive talent on the roster to complement Arch?

6. Does Arch picking Texas seem similar to Payton and Eli picking their schools? Neither of those teams were great at the time, but they felt like they could make a difference and blaze their own trails.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Setting aside your bias as a rival fan, ask yourself these questions:

Another:  Will Texas offensive line be really good for the first time in forever when Arch sees the field for meaningful snaps in 3 years? 

Let's not underestimate how big of an impact that had in things.  For the first time in forever, it feels like luck has been on our side a bit.  Cistobal leaving really helped turn the tide on our OL class last year. But credit to Flood for not quitting either.  Hand would have been touring all the BBQ restaurants nearby for 8 months and then last minute offer some out of state 2 stars to fill out the roster.

Edited by J.Peterman
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Manning won’t be doing Lambo commercials anytime soon. And his school NIL deals will be small in comparison to other National deals he signs. He is likely taking calls from Nike and Gatorade right now. And that would have happened regardless of where he went. It is only enhanced by going to a blue blood or a perennial contender. I honestly don’t think it matters if it was Athens or Austin now. Georgia is on National TV every week and likely in playoffs over the next 3 years. That’s just as valuable, if not more, than Austin to National advertisers. 

Manning is one of the first kids that actually has a name to sell nationally. 95% of NIL deals now wouldn’t have happened if they limited it to non-school affiliated deals. To compare him to Ewers is just wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Only Surly can figure out how to argue about what could be argued as the biggest recruit to choose Texas. Is he the greatest player ever? Who knows. But if recruiting others, name recognition, and all factors are considered, he might be it. Who the fuck cares why he chose us, what the NIL deals are, or whether he would or wouldn't have chosen us in different times and situations. I, for one, am going to enjoy the ride. 

7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Oh great Slorch is here. We had managed to go 400+ posts without something incredibly stupid being posted. Glad we got that streak stopped. Thanks Slorchy poo

SLORCHED

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I've heard stories, but how close was Eli to Texas back in the day before committing to Ole Miss?

IIRC we were pursuing until Chris Simms switched from Tennessee. After that he wasn't coming here (for good reason).