2023 QB Arch Manning

Big Woodrows

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook

Strengths: Good height and frame for the position. May not be done growing. Shows good functional athleticism in game settings. Will prove surprisingly elusive and faster than expected when the play breaks down. Has good film from both under center and in shotgun. Takeaway and drop are smooth with sure cross-steps.  Ball carriage is mid-chest and eyes remain downfield. Reaches the top of his drop with a balanced athletic base and ready to push off to deliver the ball. Reads both sides of the field and influences the safeties routinely with head movement. Resets his feet frequently as needed. Delivers a consistent, mostly three-quarters delivery that is compact and quick. Finishes with a nice wrist snap and usually on balance with a good transfer of lower body power to upper body movement. 

Ball rotation is usually pretty high RPM and the nose doesn’t dive. Drives the ball really well to the short zones and up the seams. Has arm strength to reach all zones. Accuracy is exceptional and ball placement is very good most of the time. Has a good feel for the required throw, showing great touch on the bucket throw and good drive on the driven throw.  Throws every route in what appears to be a pretty diverse playbook. Feel for the pass rush is instinctive and he knows his escape routes well. 

His best film is on the run with some very difficult throws both to his throwing hand side and also back against his body.  Makes a great off-schedule throw with regularity and clearly understands the body mechanics required to get the ball down the field in those situations (e.g., re-squaring his shoulders). His TD passes jumped up markedly this season (34). Scored eight rushing TD as a sophomore. Last name sounds familiar, hmm.

Areas for Improvement / Concern: I’d like to see the ball out a little earlier, especially on comebacks/curls/hooks. The receiver doesn’t need to wait for it. I’m concerned about the level of talent he’s playing with and against.  He’s clearly the best player on his team and an 8-0 regular season is no fluke, but there are a lot of plays where he’s running for his life (kinda like Archie). Interceptions are at a rate of 1 every 35 pass attempts for the career (Ewers is 1 every 80 and Klubnik 1 every 105). We don’t know the context of those interceptions.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/five-star-plus-arch-manning-commits-texas-longhorns/

• Hook 'Em 1

Trevor Lawrence has valuable advice for Arch Manning:

Spoiler

Arch Manning may have more hype surrounding him than any high school player in recent memory. Much of that has to do with his family lineage, but his play has certainly backed up those high expectations as well. He recently made his college decision, opting to join the Texas Longhorns to play for head coach Steve Sarkisian next season. That will bring even more expectations along with it, with many Texas fans expecting Manning to bring their football program back to prominence after some disappointing recent seasons.

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence knows exactly how it feels to have the pressure of extreme expectations on his shoulders, and he offered Manning some advice on how to deal with expectations in an interview with The Spun on Tuesday.

“I’m sure he has a lot of good people in his corner that can help him, but I’d say it’s really important to learn how to manage expectations,” said Lawrence. “It’s important to block out all the noise. The only voices you should listen to are your internal expectations of yourself, your teammates, your coaches, and family. You should try to block everything else out.” “There’s going to be a lot on his plate, but you have to show up ready to learn and grow. You’re not going to be perfect from Day 1, but he is really talented and has a lot of abilities. He needs to carry that confidence over while knowing you do have to start over. You have to do that at every level.”

Lawrence added that he is sort of going through those same expectations right now at the NFL level with the Jaguars. He didn’t have the best year in his rookie season last year but seems to have the right attitude on how to approach things moving forward.

Lawrence is one of the few people who knows the expectations that Arch is feeling to a degree, coming out of the 2018 high school class as the top recruit in the class. Manning would obviously love to follow in Lawrence’s career path and become a top pick in the NFL draft someday, so taking his advice is in his best interest.

36 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Trevor Lawrence has valuable advice for Arch Manning:

Reveal hidden contents

Arch Manning may have more hype surrounding him than any high school player in recent memory. Much of that has to do with his family lineage, but his play has certainly backed up those high expectations as well. He recently made his college decision, opting to join the Texas Longhorns to play for head coach Steve Sarkisian next season. That will bring even more expectations along with it, with many Texas fans expecting Manning to bring their football program back to prominence after some disappointing recent seasons.

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence knows exactly how it feels to have the pressure of extreme expectations on his shoulders, and he offered Manning some advice on how to deal with expectations in an interview with The Spun on Tuesday.

“I’m sure he has a lot of good people in his corner that can help him, but I’d say it’s really important to learn how to manage expectations,” said Lawrence. “It’s important to block out all the noise. The only voices you should listen to are your internal expectations of yourself, your teammates, your coaches, and family. You should try to block everything else out.” “There’s going to be a lot on his plate, but you have to show up ready to learn and grow. You’re not going to be perfect from Day 1, but he is really talented and has a lot of abilities. He needs to carry that confidence over while knowing you do have to start over. You have to do that at every level.”

Lawrence added that he is sort of going through those same expectations right now at the NFL level with the Jaguars. He didn’t have the best year in his rookie season last year but seems to have the right attitude on how to approach things moving forward.

Lawrence is one of the few people who knows the expectations that Arch is feeling to a degree, coming out of the 2018 high school class as the top recruit in the class. Manning would obviously love to follow in Lawrence’s career path and become a top pick in the NFL draft someday, so taking his advice is in his best interest.

Thank goodness someone found a high profile recruit and top draft pick Arch Manning can turn to for advice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 6/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, Michael Knight said:

Well at least we don't have to hear how he screwed up recruiting Drew Brees.

It always seems like every single QB in history should have come to Texas but our coach screwed it up. As if somehow we are the #1 destination for QBs or something by default.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, gsoda3 said:

he reminds me so much of garrett gilbert (a compliment).  gilbert, chris simms, and now arch-  the most accurate HS qbs i've seen.  they always hit their receivers in stride at all 4 levels. 

So you're saying Gilbert was trying to throw 5 ints against Kstate?

I keep hearing talk about how overrated Arch is.  How he’s a low 4 star or even a 3 star recruit if not for his last name.  Yet no one can seem to explain to me why Bronny James is ranked 53 in his class.  Is his name and pedigree not good enough for the family bump as well?  What about all of the other legendary players who had kids that played the same sport as them?  Why are those kids not always highly ranked?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I keep hearing talk about how overrated Arch is.  How he’s a low 4 star or even a 3 star recruit if not for his last name.  Yet no one can seem to explain to me why Bronny James is ranked 53 in his class.  Is his name and pedigree not good enough for the family bump as well?  What about all of the other legendary players who had kids that played the same sport as them?  Why are those kids not always highly ranked?

Lemme break it down for you....

Aggy

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Well, that’s probably not a great example because Bronny might be unranked with a different last name 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

So you're saying Gilbert was trying to throw 5 ints against Kstate?

did he not hit them in stride between their pads? 

really though, gilbert was one of the most impressive HS qbs i've ever seen.  it's too bad mack brown messed him up.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

really though, gilbert was one of the most impressive HS qbs i've ever seen.  it's too bad mack brown messed him up.

Seriously. If we ran the same offense in 2010 as we did in 08 and 09, well……

edit: and you forgot Ewers in your earlier post. Dude was filthy in high school. If you put Ewers on that 09 LT team, they still win state. You put Gilbert on that 2019 south lake team, they probably don’t make it to the state finals 

Edited by Fletch

11 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I thought The Major was the one who threw 5 ints against Kstate…or was it only 4?

I assume you are referring to 1999.  Thanks for bringing up that treasured memory as I was there in person to see it firsthand.  It was actually only 3 interceptions that he threw, but still ugly enough.

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I thought The Major was the one who threw 5 ints against Kstate…or was it only 4?

It was three. But there were also three fumbles. The appleturnover game.

And how dare you go all Brent Musberger on us.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It was three. But there were also three fumbles. The appleturnover game.

And how dare you go all Brent Musberger on us.

And let’s not forget punting straight down the middle of the field to one of the greatest returners in NCAA history after the coaches told our punter to kick it out of bounds. Only time I ever heard Mack throw a player under the bus…

• Rage+1 3

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I haven’t thought about the Brent Musburger Drinking Game in a long time. Applewhite had a rule named after him.

Rule 1: “The Pardner” A person is picked to be the Pardner at the beginning of the game. The first time Brent says “Pardner,” the Pardner has to take 1 drink, and then picks someone else to be the Pardner. The next time Brent says it the new Pardner has to take two drinks, and then pick a new Pardner, and so on and so on. The Pardner must wear a special “Pardner” hat.

Rule 2: “Folks.” Everyone drinks 1 when Brent says “Folks.” However, if Brent says “Hold on Folks,” everyone must drink once but the first person to drink has to finish their drink for not holding on.

Rule 3: “It’s a foot race!” Whenever Brent says “It’s a foot race” everyone has to finish their drink. The first one done becomes “That Man” and gets to punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule 4: “There’s that man again.” After someone becomes “That Man,” they get to give away three drinks to someone of their choosing the next time Brent says “That Man.” That person then becomes “That Man.” If Brent says “That Man” before “It’s a footrace,” The Pardner becomes That Man. If The Pardner becomes That Man first, he gets to punch the new That Man in the arm twice after giving away the three drinks. There must also be a special hat for “That Man.”

Rule 5: “Dr. Pepper.” Every time Brent says “Dr. Pepper” everyone has to yell out “I’M A PEPPER!” and take two drinks. Afterwards, each person must give out a satisfied “AAAAAAAHHHHH!” as if in a Dr. Pepper commercial. Anyone who fails to do so must drink again.

Rule 6: “Jack Arute.” Whenever Brent says “Our ol’ buddy Jack Arute” everyone has to say “AROOOOOOT!” Last one to do it has to do a shot. If everyone does it simultaneously, the Pardner must do a shot.

Rule 7: “In the college game.” Whenever Brent says this little gem, everyone must say “Shut the **** up Brent,” drink two, and punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule 8: Mentioning a Big 10 school during a Big 12 game. Whenever Brent does this, the first person who names the Big 10 school’s mascot gets to make somebody drink for 11 seconds, since there’s 11 schools in the Big 10.

Rule 9: Calling a touchdown before the player actually scores. For example, during an interception return, Brent says “It’s a touchdown!” before the player actually scores. In this case, everyone must start drinking and continue to drink until the player actually does score. If by some odd event, the player does NOT score, everyone must finish their drink.

Rule 10: “Gary, my man.” Whenever Brent says “Gary, my man”, the Pardner gets to choose someone to be Gary. From that point on, that person must be referred to as “Gary, my man” until the game is over. “Gary, my man” gets to give away 5 drinks the rest of the game any time Brent says “Gary, my man.” If someone talks to “Gary, my man” without calling him that, they have to do a shot. If there is someone playing the game actually named Gary, that person is automatically “Gary, my man.”

Rule 11: “The Major.” If Brent has a pet nickname for one of the players during the game, for example calling Major Applewhite “The Major,” everyone must drink 5 anytime Brent uses this nickname. However, “Gary, my man” does not drink but gets to give away 5 drinks since this person already has a nickname of their own.

Rule 12: “John Saunders.” The first time Brent quips with John Saunders, everyone must drink one. The next time, everyone must drink two, and so on and so on.

Rule 13: In the booth. Whenever there’s a camera shot of Brent in the booth, the Pardner must make a toast to Brent. After the toast, everyone must drink 1.

Rule 14: “My Friend.” Every Pardner gets to choose a “friend.” The friend must always get up to get the Pardner another drink (since the Pardner will be doing quite a bit of that). However, when Brent utters “My Friend” the friend gets to punch the Pardner in the arm for making him get up so much.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Mack let that program fall apart after 2005. It was slowly breaking down 2006-2009 and then headed off a cliff in 2010. Poor Gilbert never had a chance, the team around him was hot garbage and he was a freshman.

I am no football coach so I don't know exactly what happened but it was very noticeable that by 2007 Colt McCoy was running for his life on a regular basis and we couldn't run consistently. Then our senior dominated defense left after 2009. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I haven’t thought about the Brent Musburger Drinking Game in a long time. Applewhite had a rule named after him.

Rule 1: “The Pardner” A person is picked to be the Pardner at the beginning of the game. The first time Brent says “Pardner,” the Pardner has to take 1 drink, and then picks someone else to be the Pardner. The next time Brent says it the new Pardner has to take two drinks, and then pick a new Pardner, and so on and so on. The Pardner must wear a special “Pardner” hat.

Rule 2: “Folks.” Everyone drinks 1 when Brent says “Folks.” However, if Brent says “Hold on Folks,” everyone must drink once but the first person to drink has to finish their drink for not holding on.

Rule 3: “It’s a foot race!” Whenever Brent says “It’s a foot race” everyone has to finish their drink. The first one done becomes “That Man” and gets to punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule 4: “There’s that man again.” After someone becomes “That Man,” they get to give away three drinks to someone of their choosing the next time Brent says “That Man.” That person then becomes “That Man.” If Brent says “That Man” before “It’s a footrace,” The Pardner becomes That Man. If The Pardner becomes That Man first, he gets to punch the new That Man in the arm twice after giving away the three drinks. There must also be a special hat for “That Man.”

Rule 5: “Dr. Pepper.” Every time Brent says “Dr. Pepper” everyone has to yell out “I’M A PEPPER!” and take two drinks. Afterwards, each person must give out a satisfied “AAAAAAAHHHHH!” as if in a Dr. Pepper commercial. Anyone who fails to do so must drink again.

Rule 6: “Jack Arute.” Whenever Brent says “Our ol’ buddy Jack Arute” everyone has to say “AROOOOOOT!” Last one to do it has to do a shot. If everyone does it simultaneously, the Pardner must do a shot.

Rule 7: “In the college game.” Whenever Brent says this little gem, everyone must say “Shut the **** up Brent,” drink two, and punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule 8: Mentioning a Big 10 school during a Big 12 game. Whenever Brent does this, the first person who names the Big 10 school’s mascot gets to make somebody drink for 11 seconds, since there’s 11 schools in the Big 10.

Rule 9: Calling a touchdown before the player actually scores. For example, during an interception return, Brent says “It’s a touchdown!” before the player actually scores. In this case, everyone must start drinking and continue to drink until the player actually does score. If by some odd event, the player does NOT score, everyone must finish their drink.

Rule 10: “Gary, my man.” Whenever Brent says “Gary, my man”, the Pardner gets to choose someone to be Gary. From that point on, that person must be referred to as “Gary, my man” until the game is over. “Gary, my man” gets to give away 5 drinks the rest of the game any time Brent says “Gary, my man.” If someone talks to “Gary, my man” without calling him that, they have to do a shot. If there is someone playing the game actually named Gary, that person is automatically “Gary, my man.”

Rule 11: “The Major.” If Brent has a pet nickname for one of the players during the game, for example calling Major Applewhite “The Major,” everyone must drink 5 anytime Brent uses this nickname. However, “Gary, my man” does not drink but gets to give away 5 drinks since this person already has a nickname of their own.

Rule 12: “John Saunders.” The first time Brent quips with John Saunders, everyone must drink one. The next time, everyone must drink two, and so on and so on.

Rule 13: In the booth. Whenever there’s a camera shot of Brent in the booth, the Pardner must make a toast to Brent. After the toast, everyone must drink 1.

Rule 14: “My Friend.” Every Pardner gets to choose a “friend.” The friend must always get up to get the Pardner another drink (since the Pardner will be doing quite a bit of that). However, when Brent utters “My Friend” the friend gets to punch the Pardner in the arm for making him get up so much.

Man I haven't seen this in awhile. 

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

6lkypi.gif

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Mack let that program fall apart after 2005. It was slowly breaking down 2006-2009 and then headed off a cliff in 2010. Poor Gilbert never had a chance, the team around him was hot garbage and he was a freshman.

I am no football coach so I don't know exactly what happened but it was very noticeable that by 2007 Colt McCoy was running for his life on a regular basis and we couldn't run consistently. Then our senior dominated defense left after 2009. 

I think he would’ve been alright in that spread we were running Colts last 2 years. Him in the shotgun throwing to Goodwin and Mike Davis could’ve worked. But who gives a shit. We’re about to tear the college football world a new asshole 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, South Austin said:

This is the funniest shit I’ve read in a while. 

I think he would’ve been alright in that spread we were running Colts last 2 years. Him in the shotgun throwing to Goodwin and Mike Davis could’ve worked. But who gives a shit. We’re about to tear the college football world a new asshole 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, gsoda3 said:

So, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school that didn't do well in college must have been messed up by a college coach? Or is it just QBs under Mack Brown?

Or is it possible that Gilbert just didn't have "it"?

That would mess with your "Mack Brown is at fault" thesis, I know.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school that didn't do well in college must have been messed up by a college coach? Or is it just QBs under Mack Brown?

Or is it possible that Gilbert just didn't have "it"?

That would mess with your "Mack Brown is at fault" thesis, I know.

Good point, except for the fact that the offense he was recruited to and was good at running, was totally changed because Mack decided he needed a "Power Offense", after losing to Alabama.

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Mack decided he needed a "Power Offense", after losing to Alabama.

which is so dumb because we would’ve fucking obliterated bama by four touchdowns if we’d just had colt running the offense in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1