2023 QB Arch Manning

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school that didn't do well in college must have been messed up by a college coach? Or is it just QBs under Mack Brown?

Or is it possible that Gilbert just didn't have "it"?

That would mess with your "Mack Brown is at fault" thesis, I know.

His post-Texas career (at SMU and pro stints in the AAF, and NFL) suggests Mack Brown as a big part of the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school that didn't do well in college must have been messed up by a college coach? Or is it just QBs under Mack Brown?

Or is it possible that Gilbert just didn't have "it"?

That would mess with your "Mack Brown is at fault" thesis, I know.

so, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school just didn't have it?  or is it just QBs under mack brown? 

or is it possible that mack brown just didn't put gilbert in a position to succeed?

that would mess with your "garrett gilbert didn't have it" thesis, i know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

so, is it that every highly rated QB out of high school just didn't have it?  or is it just QBs under mack brown? 

or is it possible that mack brown just didn't put gilbert in a position to succeed?

that would mess with your "garrett gilbert didn't have it" thesis, i know. 

2... And 3. Mack was lucky VY and Colt were so talented in their own way. Gilbert shoulda woulda coulda... The world may never know

tootsie-roll-owl.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hornlover said:

His post-Texas career (at SMU and pro stints in the AAF, and NFL) suggests Mack Brown as a big part of the problem. 

Mack built a terrible team around him. The same guys who let Colt be sacked 100 time against Nebraska but without Colt or Shipley. And a mediocre defense.

Redshirt Freshman Colt McCoy had a team to help him be his best self. Gilbert had a team to help him be his worst.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, futureman said:

which is so dumb because we would’ve fucking obliterated bama by four touchdowns if we’d just had colt running the offense in that game. 

As dumb as running Colt into the line that game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

On 7/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, Lone Star Horn said:

Good point, except for the fact that the offense he was recruited to and was good at running, was totally changed because Mack decided he needed a "Power Offense", after losing to Alabama.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, futureman said:

which is so dumb because we would’ve fucking obliterated bama by four touchdowns if we’d just had colt running the offense in that game. 

Can’t forget that the lesson Saban learned is that both his offense and defense needed to be tailored to more of what Texas was doing. I’m not implying that Saban is a better coach than Mack Brown or anything. It’s just a casual observation. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, Hornlover said:

He was nothing special at SMU and played in a very QB friendly system.  As a 5th year guy, he finally had an average season.

He sucked dick at Texas.  Had nothing to do with Mack or Greg, who had had success with every other QB that started for them prior to squints.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

He was nothing special at SMU and played in a very QB friendly system.  As a 5th year guy, he finally had an average season.

He sucked dick at Texas.  Had nothing to do with Mack or Greg, who had had success with every other QB that started for them prior to squints.

Idk man, say he redshirts in 09 like he should have and we have say a redshirt senior Nick Foles, a redshirt sophomore GJ Kinne and of course redshirt senior Sherrod Harris like a healthy program. Now picture Foles or Kinne throwing to Mike Davis, Goodwin, Malcolm Williams, Kirkendoll and Chiles with DJ Monroe Fozzy and Cody Johnson in the backfield. We probably would’ve gone like 9-3 or some shit in that scenario and Gilbert takes over as a redshirt sophomore in 2011 throwing to Davis, Shipley, Goodwin with Malcom Brown and DJ Monroe in the backfield. Then adding Jonathan Gray the next year and yeah.

If Mack pulled a Dabo and kept the machine going, no telling what could’ve been. Instead he got fat and lazy, which I respect but man, the alternate universe that opens if Mack doesn’t get lazy or he steps down and gives muschamp the keys is absurd 

Anyways back to Arch. Still processing all this. We’re gonna have 2 of the highest ranked quarterbacks ever in the same room with Maalik Murphy who has nfl upside. And of course Wright and Lourd. I’m assuming Card is gone after this year. But god damn man. Quinn and Arch throwing to the receivers, tight ends and running backs we got and are pulling in is gonna be insane. Fucking finally we’re doing what the rest of the state is doing in high school, running an rpo spread with a great scheme and an ocean of talent. We should average 50ish points a year for the next 5 years. Then once Arch leaves in 2026, Jordan Young takes over. My body is ready 

Mack let that program fall apart after 2005. It was slowly breaking down 2006-2009 and then headed off a cliff in 2010. Poor Gilbert never had a chance, the team around him was hot garbage and he was a freshman.
I am no football coach so I don't know exactly what happened but it was very noticeable that by 2007 Colt McCoy was running for his life on a regular basis and we couldn't run consistently. Then our senior dominated defense left after 2009. 

When it was slowly breaking down post 2006, what happened in 2008 and 2009?

16 minutes ago, markstanco said:

When it was slowly breaking down post 2006, what happened in 2008 and 2009?

If you look at those teams they had great players but a lack of depth and there were some worrying signs. Like the issues with the offensive line which, granted, was pretty good at pass blocking in 2008 and gave me some hope but in 2009 the offense took a step back because the wideouts behind Shipley weren't that great and the offensive line regressed. The defense with Will Muschamp was great but it was loaded with upper classmen and we were a little concerned with the depth behind them.

And you also have to remember the context of 2006 and 2007 which were definitely up and down seasons at a time when it didn't make much sense to have them. We just won the national title, one would think we would be drowning in elite talent. But we weren't. I mean we had some but not everywhere and certainly not at the kinds of depth we had before 2006.

And so yeah there were issues and concerns but we all hoped and had confidence that Mack Brown was on it, that they would be fixed at some point before they actually caused the program to start losing and collapse. Well he didn't and so it did. 

Now how and why and how the fuck that happened I don't understand. But it happened and I was there to see it. And I am sure all of you who were on the message boards back then remember all those discussions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

If you look at those teams they had great players but a lack of depth and there were some worrying signs. Like the issues with the offensive line which, granted, was pretty good at pass blocking in 2008 and gave me some hope but in 2009 the offense took a step back because the wideouts behind Shipley weren't that great and the offensive line regressed. The defense with Will Muschamp was great but it was loaded with upper classmen and we were a little concerned with the depth behind them.

And you also have to remember the context of 2006 and 2007 which were definitely up and down seasons at a time when it didn't make much sense to have them. We just won the national title, one would think we would be drowning in elite talent. But we weren't. I mean we had some but not everywhere and certainly not at the kinds of depth we had before 2006.

And so yeah there were issues and concerns but we all hoped and had confidence that Mack Brown was on it, that they would be fixed at some point before they actually caused the program to start losing and collapse. Well he didn't and so it did. 

Now how and why and how the fuck that happened I don't understand. But it happened and I was there to see it. And I am sure all of you who were on the message boards back then remember all those discussions.

I can’t believe you typed all that out for the biggest dumbass on this board. Stanco is still figuring out how gravity works 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Hornleone said:

Me thinks Mikey is pandering to Texas haters in hopes they sub to his bullshit recruiting content.

He doesn’t even seem to have a platform. What is he actually doing now?

Edited by Dr. Teeth

I see we're doing a crossover episode with tigerbait.com today.

Weirdly enough, a nutria went locally viral around here last Friday running up and down Raleigh's main nightlife drag. Pity school's out, they could tied a little Wolfpack hat on him.

Edited by texifornia

On 7/6/2022 at 10:45 PM, Fletch said:

I can’t believe you typed all that out for the biggest dumbass on this board. Stanco is still figuring out how gravity works 

To be fair, so are the physicists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I've been doing this a long time." Those are some solid bona fide's, Mike. You must be an expert!

Mike Farrell is an aggy loving shithead and I hope he gets sued by Mario Puzo's estate and Paramount for stealing that logo.

• Haha 1

What incredible insight Farrell has by saying maybe Arch will not live up to his perfect rating prediction.  Ferrell really went out on the limb for this one.  What’s his point?  Take a lower rated QB and hope they overachieve?   No one was dumb enough to even consider not pursuing Arch but somehow Texas taking him is some sort of a risk because he’s not guaranteed success?  You don’t have to listen to Ferrell very long before you realize he’s a cynical know it all.  Sounds like he needs clicks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love Astros hate, because everyone hates them and they kick everyone's ass. The hate is so delicious.

The Horns must again kick all the college football asses, as the taste of college football hate is the most delicious of all. And even in these times of medicore Horns football, we remain in everyone's head. Flash the Horns down at a game where the Horns are not even playing? Thank you for the free advertising and the rent free space we occupy in your head. 

This guy is such a tool, and a perfect example of mindless Longhorn hate. Fuck him and all those unfortuante enough to look like him. If Arch was going to Georgia, he'd be the best of Peyton and Eli rolled into one. Fuck Fuckface Ferrell.

• Hook 'Em 1