2023 QB Arch Manning

Big Woodrows

No matter your opinion on the polarizing prospect, whether the thought is that he’s the No. 3 overall prospect or a three-star prospect (ha!), Manning arrives at Texas with a quarterbacking pedigree never before seen at the college level. Thanks to his family, coaches, and his own drive, Manning understands what it takes to be successful on the field and what the preparation off the field that goes into game-time glory.

He does walk into a quarterback room with Quinn Ewers, who is likely to be QB1 come September. Manning and his family understood Ewers would be on campus when he committed, although some national media members felt the need to inform his father Cooper and company of that fact.

Even with Ewers’ likely incumbent status, Manning can factor into the quarterback conversation by pushing Maalik Murphy for the backup role. What must he do to make that happen?

First, there’s the obvious adjustment to competition. Isidore Newman’s weekly opponents weren’t as bad as critics liked to say, nor were they world-beaters. They were likely somewhere around the 3A to 4A level in Texas.

Passing against Power 5 players, even if it’s a scout team, will take some getting used to.

The other thing Manning can perfect is working in the pocket. At Newman, he often was flushed out and had to throw on the move due to an offensive line that often struggled with protection. He was remarkably proficient in that area, but Steve Sarkisian’s offense places major emphasis on being able to throw from the pocket.

The learning curve won’t be too steep, but working the pocket and making plays within it versus quality competitions are the areas Manning should work on early in his Texas career to make sure he’s able to excel when his number is called.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/syllabus-week-what-payton-kirkland-liona-lefau-and-arch-manning-need-to-work-on/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pulled the wr oob. Will need to clean up that placement so it can be a td. 

especially if he happens to be throwing to worthy next season

Did you see who the receiver was?? Let me know when you get a name. He does get a foot in bounds but yes I agree it should have been more towards the inside. It was a catch though. Dk if worthy makes it though…😡

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

3 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Did you see who the receiver was?? Let me know when you get a name. He does get a foot in bounds but yes I agree it should have been more towards the inside. It was a catch though. Dk if worthy makes it though…😡

Receiver was Deandre Moore .

9 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Yeah I think Murphy set a record at the elite 11 or some camp? I would put my money there. 

I watched Murphy during pregame warmups before the Baylor game and Ewers accuracy looked like Aaron Rodgers compared to Murphy. I didn’t notice his arm being any stronger than Ewers either. It was pretty alarming.