Windows 10 stuck on ethernet, not allowing wifi

I know it's late in TX, but thought one of you geeks might be awake.

Wife went into the office and connected her computer via docking station > ethernet > internet.

She unplugged, came home, but the computer is stuck on the ethernet connection, and not allowing her to switch to a wireless connection. She didn't realize this until she tried to save her work.

Is there any way to switch the network connection from ethernet to wireless without rebooting and lose all her work?

Is the wireless connection turned off/disabled? If the laptop has a wifi button or keyboard shortcut (often Fn+some key), it may actually disable the wifi. You should be able to tell in the network hardware settings if it shows disabled.

She should also be able to Save As her work locally, and then copy it back to the network when she gets connected.

Edited by Sam Lin
Control Panel -> All Contol Panel Items -> Network Connections

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

I know it's late in TX, but thought one of you geeks might be awake.

Wife went into the office and connected her computer via docking station > ethernet > internet.

She unplugged, came home, but the computer is stuck on the ethernet connection, and not allowing her to switch to a wireless connection. She didn't realize this until she tried to save her work.

Is there any way to switch the network connection from ethernet to wireless without rebooting and lose all her work?

your wife shouldn't be docking at work

6 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Agreed. She really shouldn't be getting her honey where she gets her money. It can lead to a lot of problems.

The only person (to my knowledge) she's banged in her office is me. It was late Friday afternoon and everyone else had left for the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:27 PM, Sam Lin said:

Is the wireless connection turned off/disabled? If the laptop has a wifi button or keyboard shortcut (often Fn+some key), it may actually disable the wifi. You should be able to tell in the network hardware settings if it shows disabled.

She should also be able to Save As her work locally, and then copy it back to the network when she gets connected.

The problem "resolved" itself when my wife just shut down her computer.  But re your comment, I went to the windows-A to open the sys tray, turned on the wireless, but it quickly shut down. I also went to the settings page, changed the network setting to wireless, but it also quickly turn off and go back to ethernet. Never happened before, and I not sure we'll recreate it. But like I said, it's not a problem anymore.