How do you cope?

hookem2010

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

So you disagree with those dynamics or deny they exist?

No, I don’t agree with your dumbass take implying this is a conspiracy to help the dems win the upcoming elections.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My point was to explore what your point is. Europe is more dangerous in general because of a war happening at its border?

Being within several hundred miles of an active war zone, and according to some on this site the start of WW3, would definitely give me pause in the warm and fuzzies.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Definitely this.  It enrages me that my children's generation may well carry the burden of having to fucking save the world.  But it also heartens me, because I actually think their generation might be up for the job.  I'm just so sorry to be handing this sow's ear to them and telling them to turn it into a silk purse.

Hate to break it to you, but for every kid that's raised by someone like you, there's a Johnny Sack out there raising his kid to be Christo-fascist shitheel. That, combined with a not insignificant number of educated people who have made the decision not to bring children into this fucked-up world, means that the next generation will still be outnumbered.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Hate to break it to you, but for every kid that's raised by someone like you, there's a Johnny Sack out there raising his kid to be Christo-fascist shitheel. That, combined with a not insignificant number of educated people who have made the decision not to bring children into this fucked-up world, means that the next generation will still be outnumbered.

Maybe.

But they'll go down fighting.  At this point, we can at least hope for that.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe.

But they'll go down fighting.  At this point, we can at least hope for that.

But in your specific case, they won't go down fighting. They're choosing to bug out to Europe. Not that I blame them, I would advise my niece and nephew to do the same thing, but they're choosing not to fight for the American experiment.

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

But in your specific case, they won't go down fighting. They're choosing to bug out to Europe. Not that I blame them, I would advise my niece and nephew to do the same thing, but they're choosing not to fight for the American experiment.

Oh, this particular experiment is over.  The GQP chose to end it, opting instead for a fascist theocratic oligarchy.  If I were a jew in 1930s Germany, I'd have wanted my kids to GTFO of there to, even though it was my country and I'd prefer to save it.  When it all turns to shit, your interests and loyalties return to their basest level -- my family and me.  The rest of America may end up in a Russia-like shitshow.  I wish they wouldn't.  It breaks my fucking heart.  But I still want my kids to gtfo.  

And of course, if you think the fight against fascist oligarchies is just for us, I've got some news for you.  My kids know this will be a struggle in the entire west for probably the rest of their natural lives.  So, they'll fight it.  Just in places where they have better odds.  This ground (the U.S.) has already been lost.  A tactical retreat to a more favorable position is a good move.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goredho said:

For a large part of my life, I read a lot of history and sort of envied people of other eras.  People that lived in a time and place where life was not so easy.  People who were challenged greatly, faced long odds, risked the highest costs and who ultimately prevailed.  From a US perspective, they are the people that fought in the revolution, the civil war, in WWII and for civil rights here at home.

We very well might be entering such an era.  My perspective of envy has changed considerably with age and fatherhood, but I do take some solace in this -- If things continue on their current trajectory, my children will be part of a generation living in such a time and place.  They will be called, challenged greatly, face long odds, risk much, and... they might prevail.  As dark as things may feel today, the ultimate outcome is not pre-ordained.  Our kids will get to write the final chapter of this period of history.

What kind of bullshit is this?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

With the country and planet falling apart? I think I've been dysthymic for the last 5-6 years when I realized that despite occasional victories politically, environmentally and even personally, the world was in all likelihood going to become a worse place to live the longer I was around. With climate change already readily apparent and 40% of the country living in an alternate universe, these feelings have only intensified.

Do you become more involved, despite the seeming futility? Live it up while you can? Watch the collapse with detached curiosity? Drink?

Having just had my first kid, the desire to work to improve things has become greater, yet I also have profound sadness knowing he will grow up in a world more difficult than I did.

I have a 4 year old. To answer your question, I worry a lot, and feel hopeless a lot, and look for ways out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Being within several hundred miles of an active war zone, and according to some on this site the start of WW3, would definitely give me pause in the warm and fuzzies.

Saying Europe is on the brink of war but thinking the US is safe from it is... something.

Realistically you should be more interested in homicide rates.

Murders per 100k people:

Luxembourg: 0.34

Norway: 0.47

Slovenia: 0.48

Italy: 0.57

Croatia: 0.58

Netherlands: 0.59

Switzerland: 0.59

Spain: 0.62

Poland: 0.73

Portugal: 0.79

Ireland: 0.87

Iceland: 0.89

Greece: 0.94

Germany: 0.95

Austria: 0.97

Denmark: 1.01

Sweden: 1.08

Slovakia: 1.14

France: 1.2

UK: 1.2

Romania: 1.28

Bulgaria: 1.3

Finland: 1.63

Belgium: 1.69

Estonia: 2.12

Montenegro: 2.23

Belarus: 2.39

Hungary: 2.49

Liechtenstein: 2.64

United States: 4.96

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Biggus Duckus said:

Saying Europe is on the brink of war but thinking the US is safe from it is... something.

Murders per 100k people:

yup, I've been all over Europe and never once felt unsafe. can't say the same is true here in the good ole US of A

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What the fuck is going on in Lichtenstein 

There's like 120 people there.  One violent marital spat and a skillet upside a husband's head (SOB deserved it, he was banging the milkmaid) and the whole murder rate goes nuts.

• Haha 1

I fell ya OP. I got rid of my twitter account - doom scrolling isn't doing anybody any good. I still stay informed with newspapers and this place. I've actually considered leaving this site too - just totally removing myself from what's happening around me, so that I can focus on work and my family. 

For a few years as a child, I grew up in a country ruled by an authoritarian. As American citizens, we were never in any danger and our lives went on. We were aware of the religious and political persecution that was happening, but what are you going to do? I sometimes think I may have to adopt a similar mindset here. 

Unless I'm going to take direct and meaningful action (run for office, organize, etc.) then what's the point of hovering over the ongoing inferno to witness the destruction? I'm not helping anyone and I'm destroying my own mental health. I can pull a lever for Dems every November without having to be plugged in 24/7.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The experiment is over. We have the results. It’s exactly what it was founded to be.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The experiment is over. We have the results. It’s exactly what it was founded to be.

Yep.  We've been told our whole lives that America is the greatest country in the world, and worth fighting for.  What about when it's not the greatest country in the world by most metrics, and trending downward?

• Hook 'Em 2

Yep.  We've been told our whole lives that America is the greatest country in the world, and worth fighting for.  What about when it's not the greatest country in the world by most metrics, and trending downward?

This nation was founded as an oligarchy for wealthy, white, Christians and this court will allow GOP states to recreate that, and they will allow the GOP to poison the electoral system in bad faith in order to recreate it at a federal level.
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This nation was founded as an oligarchy for wealthy, white, Christians and this court will allow GOP states to recreate that, and they will allow the GOP to poison the electoral system in bad faith in order to recreate it at a federal level.

Dazed & Confused - Ginny Stroud - 4th of July - YouTube

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've already told them that  if it gets really bad here, and genuinely directly dangerous for us, their parents, DO NOT COME BACK FOR US.  The one thing that brings me peace will be the knowledge that they are away and safe.

This is kind of texags prepper outer fringe speak (to me). What is going to get so bad that an adult child needs to fly from a foreign country to rescue their parents. I'm not trying to be salty, just curious as to the mindset. 

Edited by LW Goatman
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

With the country and planet falling apart? I think I've been dysthymic for the last 5-6 years when I realized that despite occasional victories politically, environmentally and even personally, the world was in all likelihood going to become a worse place to live the longer I was around. With climate change already readily apparent and 40% of the country living in an alternate universe, these feelings have only intensified.

Do you become more involved, despite the seeming futility? Live it up while you can? Watch the collapse with detached curiosity? Drink?

Having just had my first kid, the desire to work to improve things has become greater, yet I also have profound sadness knowing he will grow up in a world more difficult than I did.

Man, I can't imagine having kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Man, I can't imagine having kids.

I love my two kids. I’m worried for the future they will have, but I wouldn’t change having them. Sadly I’m also a bit relieved I only have two boys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I wanna know why y'all are pissed for the long term.  Yeah, today is huge.  It just activated the Left in this country like nothing else could.  It's going to help y'all overcome the shittastic results of Biden because of the emotional response to Roe V Wade.

Let the disruption/ destruction continue...  y'all should be happy AF.

Still feels like a lot of shots get called/ called off at amazingly convenient moments.  Public opinion on this administration is in the shitter.  The ruling on Roe v Wade is a fools errand-  abortion will not be outlawed across the land.  All this shit does is get everyone hyped up/ pissed off/ wanting a parade for nothing.

I am in agreement today is not a good day for the governance of this country.  We probably disagree as to why.

I don't agree with this at all. We saw this decision leak... and within a week the furor died out. I have no doubt the emotions felt now will be largely gone by November. Hell, 19 children were murdered in a Uvalde classroom. A month later, Texas has done nothing and Congress has an "agreement" that does jack shit to prevent it happening again. The Texas bounty law is barely discussed. 

I'm of the opinion that abortion is awful, but I also think outlawing them is a bad idea -- especially given that social services in many of the states that will outlaw it (cough*Texas*cough) are garbage. The rich folks are going to fly to a blue state and get it done. The poor folks are going to have an unwanted pregnancy.

1 hour ago, Biggus Duckus said:

Murders per 100k people:

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yup, I've been all over Europe and never once felt unsafe. can't say the same is true here in the good ole US of A

yep. 

i mean, there was that one time in pamplona when we got caught in between police and a riot. oh, that one time in amsterdam on the leidseplein where a brawl broke out and we ended up being detained by police. oh, there was that one protest in london that got violent.

and then there's every night on dirty sixth, haha. 

i have no idea what yall think of europe, but from posts on here, you'd think it was lawless anarchy. people here (well, now on daily texan) were talking about police no-go sharia law zones. remember that? all that disinformation sort of congeals into an impression of a dark and scary bloodsoaked hellscape the likes of which we've never seen before.

yes, there is a war in ukraine. that's not where @Brisketexan is sending his children. nor russia. europe is as stable as usual. it's a place full of people just trying to get through tier day like everywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm of the opinion that abortion is awful, but I also think outlawing them is a bad idea -- especially given that social services in many of the states that will outlaw it (cough*Texas*cough) are garbage. The rich folks are going to fly to a blue state and get it done. The poor folks are going to have an unwanted pregnancy.

It's too bad more people aren't like you. It's okay to think abortion us awful. I can totally see how one's moral and belief systems would lead them to feel that way. What's not okay is any of us imposing our moral and belief systems upon a woman's right to make healthcare decisions for herself. It astounds me that in the land of the free that I even have to type that previous sentence.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

It's too bad more people aren't like you. It's okay to think abortion us awful. I can totally see how one's moral and belief systems would lead them to feel that way. What's not okay is any of us imposing our moral and belief systems upon a woman's right to make healthcare decisions for herself. It astounds me that in the land of the free that I even have to type that previous sentence.

Mexico has legal weed and abortions - and well, Mexican women (rawr). Never thought I'd say it, but it's looking more appealing by the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

This is kind of texags prepper outer fringe speak (to me). What is going to get so bad that an adult child needs to fly from a foreign country to rescue their parents. I'm not trying to be salty, just curious as to the mindset. 

Bruh, it's like you've never seen Red Dawn.

• Like 1

I take heart in the fact that human population growth has slowed dramatically and projects to continue to go down.  we are the problem and we appear to be taking care of the problem.

I try to raise my kids to be a force for good in the world.

I try to enjoy each day despite all the negative shit I’m aware of.  (I mostly fail)

I try to engage people with different view points to learn about them and influence them if they’re open to it.  This has been mostly futile.

I try to take breaks from the news.  Smartphones are the fucking devil.

• Fuck You 1

My only advice is not to get caught up in the political hyperbole. 

And for those of you who think the rest of the developed world will welcome you with open arms - you're in for a rude awakening. You'd better be fucking rich or have a job lined up. They don't want freeloaders.

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

My only advice is not to get caught up in the political hyperbole. 

And for those of you who think the rest of the developed world will welcome you with open arms - you're in for a rude awakening. You'd better be fucking rich or have a job lined up. They don't want freeloaders.

I think the point is it's no longer hyperbole.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Ask HR if your company has a fertility benefits provider. If you do, check them out. They will most likely have reimbursements for reproductive health care travel starting July 1st if they planned well. 

Yep, mine came out with a company wide email regarding this today within 2 hours of the announcement.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

For a large part of my life, I read a lot of history and sort of envied people of other eras.  People that lived in a time and place where life was not so easy.  People who were challenged greatly, faced long odds, risked the highest costs and who ultimately prevailed.  From a US perspective, they are the people that fought in the revolution, the civil war, in WWII and for civil rights here at home.

We very well might be entering such an era.  My perspective of envy has changed considerably with age and fatherhood, but I do take some solace in this -- If things continue on their current trajectory, my children will be part of a generation living in such a time and place.  They will be called, challenged greatly, face long odds, risk much, and... they might prevail.  As dark as things may feel today, the ultimate outcome is not pre-ordained.  Our kids will get to write the final chapter of this period of history.

I'm not having kids, but this is a good post.  Maybe my future dogs will be military service dogs or something.

• Hook 'Em 1