Forney ISD Dress Code

RexWilson

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oooof. Fucking ooof. 

19 kids and 2 teachers. We've done jack shit from stopping the next one.

we were never going to even try.  just create a distracting talking point about something useless to argue about merits.   

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oooof. Fucking ooof. 

19 kids and 2 teachers. We've done jack shit from stopping the next one.

we were never going to even try.  just create a distracting talking point about something useless to argue about merits.   

47 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I worked near Anderson High School for a while. Would see kids wearing all sorts of stuff that my small-town high school wouldn't have allowed... while heading our for the great Satan (at least at my high school) that was off-campus lunch.  Somehow, all those Anderson kids made it... and likely with much better outcomes than my rinky-dink school.

I agree with this. Uniforms take out all the headaches, which for the record, I think are more likely on the administration/parents than the kids.

Sure, some kids would push the limit of a relaxed dress code, but I think they are more because the older folks think a nose piercing on pink hair is the work of the devil. A uniform just makes things simple for everyone.

Yep, as a parent I love it.  No discussions or delays as they pick out their school clothes. No disputes between parents and kids over what is or isn’t appropriate for school. I don’t have to hear about what brands the richer kids are wearing and can mine have that too.  No big production of “back to school shopping.” The uniform is sturdy and lasts, we probably bought a good chunk of our stuff second hand from kids in older grades.  Buying new is affordable. 

The school isn’t super fascist about non-uniform items (especially pants or shorts) in the lower grades, and honestly the parents that don’t hold the line piss me off more than the uniform or code.  I hate to hear about how “Susie’s mom let her wear jeans even though it’s not the uniform.” Buncha assholes who are creating headaches for me and themselves by not just letting the gotdamn school take care of midweek fashion for them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I don't disagree with your post, but WTF does this mean in context?

Did you mean to say vehemently?

He is going to go beat the shit out of kids until they dress like characters from one of those British boarding school movies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep, as a parent I love it.  No discussions or delays as they pick out their school clothes. No disputes between parents and kids over what is or isn’t appropriate for school. I don’t have to hear about what brands the richer kids are wearing and can mine have that too.  No big production of “back to school shopping.” The uniform is sturdy and lasts, we probably bought a good chunk of our stuff second hand from kids in older grades.  Buying new is affordable. 

The school isn’t super fascist about non-uniform items (especially pants or shorts) in the lower grades, and honestly the parents that don’t hold the line piss me off more than the uniform or code.  I hate to hear about how “Susie’s mom let her wear jeans even though it’s not the uniform.” Buncha assholes who are creating headaches for me and themselves by not just letting the gotdamn school take care of midweek fashion for them. 

Y’all need an apprentice HOA President to monitor the school children’s compliance with the dress code. 

Pretty crazy to me that a public school has this strict of a dress code in 2022. I graduated high school in the 2000s and our school district only cared about the 4 Bs: beards, boobs, butt, and back. Spare me the socioeconomic aspect of school uniforms bullshit. Everyone knows you're poor as dirt when the lunch lady acknowledges your participation in the reduced/free lunch program. 

But this couldn't have happened to a better group of people. I own a rental in Forney (humblebrag but maybe not) and monitor the neighborhood Facebook page a few times a year. These people bitch about everything. The latest controversy in town is HEB putting in a store. The way I understand it HEB wants the city to put a protected railroad crossing for their load trucks and union pacific is requiring closure of a crossing in town for that to happen. But the people who live near the crossing caused a ruckus and pressured city leaders to rescind the order. Now HEB is trying to sell the land and look for another city to build in. We can't even get HEB to come to the table for a non-Central Market location in east Dallas or cityplace but they'll buy land in Kaufman County and the residents are marching on city hall. Backwards ass place. 

56 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Everyone knows you're poor as dirt when the lunch lady acknowledges your participation in the reduced/free lunch program

My kids' school made you put money on their account (unless you got free lunch) and everyone would just give their account number when they got lunch. That way no one would know who got the free lunch. 

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My kids' school made you put money on their account (unless you got free lunch) and everyone would just give their account number when they got lunch. That way no one would know who got the free lunch. 

I went to a public school system with a lot of reduced lunch and they stopped the “different color meal tickets” sometimes in the 1990s.  You had a card you swiped, the kids with free or reduced lunch had all that handled out of sight. 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They’re the Jackrabbits. 

Yep.  

And the rationale (as I remember it being explained to me) was that it prevented poor kids from feeling bad that they didn't have brand name clothes.  That seems a bit too liberal of explanation for the Forney I grew up in, but that was the party line.

I thought the hoodie ban was weird when I first heard about it,  but our pediatrician told my wife that apparently the latest craze for teenage girls is that they go commando under their hoodies. So I guess it makes sense given that bit of info.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

i made some atrociously bad fashion choices in early 90s in HS with no dress code, so this hits close to home.

our kids wear polos and chinos (or skorts) every day, but can wear a hoodies over that.  hoodies are basically the only thing the kids wear.  That being said, how will the district handle cold weather or kids that cold from the AC?  are thee selections from the Members Only catalog  to select?

On 6/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve become violently in favor of uniforms ever since my kids started using them.  Most studies show they improve learning outcomes, ease over socioeconomic differences, and maybe most importantly, release teachers and administrators from the inanity of interpreting and enforcing dress codes.  Every district should have them with means tested subsidies for families that can’t afford the ones made by a chosen supplier.  

I do not give a shit about teens’ ability to express themselves through fashion, they don’t know enough to be able to coherently express themselves even with their words.  That’s why they have to go to school, they don’t know shit. As a rule teenagers are horrible or stupid or both, I know I was. 

Agree with all of this.  Chad Jr. goes to a wildly economically diverse school.  I think the uniforms have helped the students focus more or what matters and less on what doesn't.  

On 6/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I went to a public school system with a lot of reduced lunch and they stopped the “different color meal tickets” sometimes in the 1990s.  You had a card you swiped, the kids with free or reduced lunch had all that handled out of sight. 

At Chad Jr.'s school (DISD) it's all free lunch.  So no more distinction between rich/poor that way.  Everyone gets free lunch.  Only distinction is if you bring your lunch, which Jr. is a fan of because the Mrs. makes a killer sammich.  No joke. 

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

At Chad Jr.'s school (DISD) it's all free lunch.  So no more distinction between rich/poor that way.  Everyone gets free lunch.  Only distinction is if you bring your lunch, which Jr. is a fan of because the Mrs. makes a killer sammich.  No joke. 

Every school in the nation had free lunch for everyone for a while due to the pandemic.

That is expiring. Most places will be returning to their pre-covid free lunch programs this school year.

As a person who had reduced lunch ticket, I'll just say there's another way to look at it than shame or guilt.

We can't talk that way though...  hope is but the little flag on the green.

Always laughed at fucking clothing or an earring( the big argument back in our day) as an expression of individuality.  It comes from within- what you say, what you write, or how you treat people all make a far bigger statement.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Every school in the nation had free lunch for everyone for a while due to the pandemic.

That is expiring. Most places will be returning to their pre-covid free lunch programs this school year.

Yeah, I understand, but that wasn't my point.

My point was that between equalizing the uniforms and the food, I never ever hear about "little Johnny has this thing that I don't have" or "you know, so and so who's on the free lunch ticket."  Never happens.  I hear a lot more about who told the best joke or had the best soccer goal at recess.   But from what I can tell, at least at the elementary level, uniforms and access to all to food makes a difference in what the kids are focused on.  

And to Slorch's point, it does come from within. Recognizing that the Forney situation is talking about teens, who are hyper conscious of differences, from what I've seen, at the elementary level, using uniforms and equal access to food is forming the kind of kids we are talking about.  Little people who are focused on what their friends say and do, and not whatever Pokemon hoodie or Naruto t-shirt they have on today.  

2 hours ago, slorch said:

As a person who had reduced lunch ticket, I'll just say there's another way to look at it than shame or guilt.

We can't talk that way though...  hope is but the little flag on the green.

i'm genuinely curious what you mean here.  i was also on reduced lunch ticket in school and one couldn't help but feel "segregated" in a sense but ultimately, that was up to that person as to how they allowed it to make them feel.  but i would actually like to know what you mean.  you seem to be implying that there is something p.c. not allowing you to say the other way to look at being the recipient of reduced/free lunch status and i can't imagine what it is.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

i'm genuinely curious what you mean here.  i was also on reduced lunch ticket in school and one couldn't help but feel "segregated" in a sense but ultimately, that was up to that person as to how they allowed it to make them feel.  but i would actually like to know what you mean.  you seem to be implying that there is something p.c. not allowing you to say the other way to look at being the recipient of reduced/free lunch status and i can't imagine what it is.

I was and still am driven to prevent that from ever happening to me again. Never was ashamed of it. 

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

I was and still am driven to prevent that from ever happening to me again.

ahh, you meant one could view the potential motivation stemming from the experience.  i'm not sure how that is not p.c. compliant or whatever but i agree to some extent that the experience can provide the right type of person a drive to not feel that way again...it certainly did for me.  but, in and of itself, those are simply other words to describe feelings of shame and you should consider that not everyone internalizes that experience the same way and the context can matter a lot.

i don't think that making children feel marginalized and worthless is the best strategy for systemically motivating the best outcomes for their lives...but i do agree that for some, experiences of poverty or being poor can be a hell of a motivator.  unfortunately, the data shows that said motivation is extremely inferior to environmental opportunities.  you and i, while being poor, both still had enormous advantages that we were able to leverage that not everyone does.

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I thought the hoodie ban was weird when I first heard about it,  but our pediatrician told my wife that apparently the latest craze for teenage girls is that they go commando under their hoodies. So I guess it makes sense given that bit of info.  

Not to sound weird, but so what? I could see an issue with a t-shirt and no bra, as that makes everything more visible.  But a hoodie should cover everything and not reveal much. I don't know how anyone would know unless that student is revealing it. In that case, it seems it's a student behavior issue, not a hoodie issue.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Not to sound weird, but so what? I could see an issue with a t-shirt and no bra, as that makes everything more visible.  But a hoodie should cover everything and not reveal much. I don't know how anyone would know unless that student is revealing it. In that case, it seems it's a student behavior issue, not a hoodie issue.

i think what he is saying is that they are wearing the hoodie effectively the same as a dress with no shorts and not wearing any underwear.

effectively, the way we all fantasized them to be when we were teenagers in the 90's while popping hard ons in chemistry class that we had to work hard to hide.

i think what he is saying is that they are wearing the hoodie effectively the same as a dress with no shorts and not wearing any underwear.
effectively, the way we all fantasized them to be when we were teenagers in the 90's while popping hard ons in chemistry class that we had to work hard to hide.

Which reminds me that Clueless and Empire Records made schoolgirl uniform skirts a thing in the 90s. Man that was great. Yoga pants may have topped it though. Memories.

Lol, I think literally every kid at my son's school wears a hoodie in the winter.  Didn't seem to prevent most of the S&T program from getting into Top Tier programs. My other son's program was coat and tie.

Dress codes are stupid.  Either institute a basic student uniform or let kids wear whatever they want, within reason. Have a subsidy/voucher program for low income families so they aren't having to choose between food and Land's End.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 hour ago, sidis said:

I think it’s more likely that they hide earbuds under the hood, text in class using the big pocket, or hide their faces when doing mischief out in the hallways.  But this is also a theory. 

My chemistry teacher in the 90s was maybe three years out of Texas Tech and had a little tiny flower tattoo down on her ankle and a “Rachel” blonde mane.  So the rest of this rings true. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And some countries require powdered wigs.

Well, ok--but I doubt many kids at Forney High aspire to be called to the bar in the UK.  

But probably a lot of them aspire to be lawyers in Texas.  And in Texas, it is definitely part of professional dress for women to wear skirts.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, slorch said:

Always laughed at fucking clothing or an earring( the big argument back in our day) as an expression of individuality.  It comes from within- what you say, what you write, or how you treat people all make a far bigger statement.

In your case for sure. Loud, stinky statement 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, sidis said:

He's saying the embarrassment and shame of being on free lunch should make you strive to do every thing, no matter how underhanded, the elite in this country did to get rich so you can not be the losers your parents were. 

And once you've done it you can talk shit about others for not doing the same. Even though you secretly know you had advantages many others don't that helped pave the way. 

I mean that thing about his free lunches as a kid explains everything you need to know about modern slorch's mindset. 

Edited by Hermanator

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

He's saying the embarrassment and shame of being on free lunch should make you strive to do every thing, no matter how underhanded, the elite in this country did to get rich so you can not be the losers your parents were. 

And once you've done it you can talk shit about others for not doing the same. Even though you secretly know you had advantages many others don't that helped pave the way. 

I mean that thing about his free lunches as a kid explains everything you need to know about modern slorch's mindset. 

Buncha this country embraces their oppressors, and the oppressors aren't people.

I think having everyone wear the same uniform is fine. Is it skirting certain potential issues? Sure. But ultimately it’s a better way to enforce the “dress code” and to get kids to focus on school as much as possible since they are supposed to be there to learn. I didn’t like wearing a uniform from kindergarten to 3rd grade but we never had any issues with parents coming to school bitching about it either. 

the disparity in wealth was a huge thing I guess for the kids in my group. Having a uniform for some of my friends was nice because some didn’t have but a few different things to wear outside of that and were very conscious of it.

I realize now that there are whole other issues like boys wanting to wear skirts and dresses and yes, the school districts like this  are trying to avoid fallout from that by saying no child can. I guess I don’t see a problem with everyone pretty much relegated to a strict dress code that no one in charge has to interpret. I’m for uniforms even though I wasn’t a fan of wearing them. 

Coming from a "teacher" family... everyone talks about wanting public schools to focus on teaching/learning, yet every time the schools want to change something because they think it will allow them to do more of that, people push back.  Every decision isn't going to be perfect, but everyone can see what's going on in public schools now isn't working yet they won't let those best in position to make changes they see fit actually make them.  People are acting like they love the school environment their kids are in now.