Hey Texas, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Patricio Swayze

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

If you were driving south on 96, did you see the big hay roll configured and painted to look like trump? On the right, south of Kirbyville IIRC.

I was driving north from Beaumont, so I passed through Kirbyville...didn't see it.  Seems like a problem a match could easily fix.  Fuck East Texas. 

Edited by Patricio Swayze

Evasmell was always a nightmare to drive through when I was a kid. Paper plant made that entire area fucking wretched. The kind of place woodville and Jasper could look down upon. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

There is alot of Texas I haven't seen, I'm glad this is in that portion of Texas . How the fuck is that still a thing in a school

I have been to almost every county in Texas, unfortunately, the entire state is fucked up in one aggy/small dick/zealot way or another.  East Texas just has that "we wanna be like Mississippi" vibe going for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

The town next to Vidor? I’m shocked 

As I drove through Vidor, then to Evadale, then to Jasper...I thought to myself, I wonder how these Southern Baptists that follow the kind word of Jesus rationalized a black guy being dragged to death behind a truck.  Probably something like "Hmm, that's a shame, pass the potato salad Norma".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm high apologies but this is that Jasper right? James Bird? Yea I can imagine that area is pretty fucked up 

Oh yea just read your post. I was young when that happened but man I remember that 

Edited by Zepol87

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm high apologies but this is that Jasper right? James Bird? Yea I can imagine that area is pretty fucked up 

Oh yea just read your post. I was young when that happened but man I remember that 

Yep, James Byrd.  Guilty of being black in SE Texas.

Not to be confused with the Sundown town of Vidor.

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There is this myth that Texas is a "live and let live" state.  What a complete and total crock of shit.

5th or whatever the fuck generation Texan. I bolted 16 years ago and life is better. It’s a hellscape getting worse and it’ll be burned with climate change anyway so let it burn. No one will be worse off. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'll my use big brush, since the OP has, in my experience,  traveling and living in different spots of Texas, East, West, central, I can say without question that while the state is conservative,  that rebel yell, racist as fuck part belongs to East Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dewey said:

I'll my use big brush, since the OP has, in my experience,  traveling and living in different spots of Texas, East, West, central, I can say without question that while the state is conservative,  that rebel yell, racist as fuck part belongs to East Texas. 

This sentence structure makes my brain hurt.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Dewey said:

As one of the resident genealogists who has done a shit-ton of genealogy research all over Texas, East Texas’s identity is more closely tied to the Confederacy.

Central and West Texas’s identity is more about Texas itself.  

It’s not a CR political thing either - most of that is based on population trends and demographics in the mid-1800s

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

As one of the resident genealogists who has done a shit-ton of genealogy research all over Texas, East Texas’s identity is more closely tied to the Confederacy.

Central and West Texas’s identity is more about Texas itself.  

It’s not a CR political thing either - most of that is based on population trends and demographics in the mid-1800s

I think if you go by percentages yes I agree.  But lots of good ole boys all across Texas and the south.  But I also feel the urban rural divide is more stark. People in bumfuck, Washington have more in common with Jasper than it does Seattle 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

But I also feel the urban rural divide is more stark. People in bumfuck, Washington have more in common with Jasper than it does Seattle 

OP is basically just characterizing America. Which is fine. 

As I drove through Vidor, then to Evadale, then to Jasper...I thought to myself, I wonder how these Southern Baptists that follow the kind word of Jesus rationalized a black guy being dragged to death behind a truck.  Probably something like "Hmm, that's a shame, pass the potato salad Norma".

Whoa. That’s a little too far, the instigator of that murder had been indoctrinated by a white supremecist prison gang.

I’ve got some background on this. When sheriff Billy Rowles arrived on scene at the Byrd murder, his very first call was to his good friend my father in law who was the FBI agent in Beaumont. He told him that something horrible had happened that transcended local law enforcement. My FIL was the first LEO to interrogate the murderers, and was the only LEO who could stomach attending Byrd’s autopsy. It took 3 autopsy tables to arrange the remains to something resembling a human body.

SETX may be backwards, but nobody condoned that heinous act.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

Whoa. That’s a little too far, the instigator of that murder had been indoctrinated by a white supremecist prison gang.

I’ve got some background on this. When sheriff Billy Rowles arrived on scene at the Byrd murder, his very first call was to his good friend my father in law who was the FBI agent in Beaumont. He told him that something horrible had happened that transcended local law enforcement. My FIL was the first LEO to interrogate the murderers, and was the only LEO who could stomach attending Byrd’s autopsy. It took 3 autopsy tables to arrange the remains to something resembling a human body.

SETX may be backwards, but nobody condoned that heinous act.

Of course there are decent folks there/from there. Plenty post on this site.

Regardless, there were several sundown towns in texas (mostly east I believe).

Attitudes have changed for a lot of folks, but pre civil rights era wasn’t that long ago. Anyways, I appreciate the assholes who fly stars and bars to some degree. It lets me know they aren’t worth even talking to.
  • Hook 'Em 1

In high school, we (Gainesville) would occasionally play Iowa Park in football. Their fight song is Dixie, or at least it was in 98-00.

Any time we would play Princeton in anything, coaches would always warn us Princeton was notorious for calling Black opponents “niggers.”  Princeton sure as fuck adhered to that policy.

they lost—bigly

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

In high school, we (Gainesville) would occasionally play Iowa Park in football. Their fight song is Dixie, or at least it was in 98-00.
Any time we would play Princeton in anything, coaches would always warn us Princeton was notorious for calling Black opponents “niggers.”  Princeton sure as fuck adhered to that policy.

they lost—bigly

It’s crazy to me how effortlessly these people utter that word. Even in a professional environment at a very large engineering firm I worked out. Just blows my mind.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yep. But varying degrees.  Is houston closer to jasper or Seattle.   Seattle but the gap may not be as big

There are racists in just about every zip code in the country.  The original point stands - - this is a public school district endorsing a symbol that essentially celebrates racism and sedition.  I don't know how that happens in 2022.

Well, I take that back.  I know how it happens.  The fact that it does is disgraceful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s crazy to me how effortlessly these people utter that word. Even in a professional environment at a very large engineering firm I worked out. Just blows my mind.

Interesting. I haven’t heard the word in a professional setting in my entire life. Maybe your profession sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:44 PM, BearSchlong said:

If you were driving south on 96, did you see the big hay roll configured and painted to look like trump? On the right, south of Kirbyville IIRC.

a roll of hay?

c'mon man.  LOL.

9 hours ago, Bookman said:

What were you called a morena or something?

Probably no worse than what he says and hears at church or the country club. Just bc it was directed at him, it’s worth mentioning.