Hey Texas, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Patricio Swayze

11 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Interesting. I haven’t heard the word in a professional setting in my entire life. Maybe your profession sucks. 

Seriously this.  Not a single racial slur of any type in more than 25 years of professional life.  Can't help but wonder where some of these people work.

Seriously this.  Not a single racial slur of any type in more than 25 years of professional life.  Can't help but wonder where some of these people work.

I was working at a global EPC company with more than 50,000 people. Nearly everyone in the office had bachelors or masters degrees. A couple of the Louisiana guys (LSU grads) had no problem dropping the n word. The old religious psycho (can’t recall where he was from) would refer to Obama as a monkey and people from the Middle East as towl heads.

O&G is chock full of very conservative people. Some really hateful people.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was working at a global EPC company with more than 50,000 people. Nearly everyone in the office had bachelors or masters degrees. A couple of the Louisiana guys (LSU grads) had no problem dropping the n word. The old religious psycho (can’t recall where he was from) would refer to Obama as a monkey and people from the Middle East as towl heads.

I'm in software but worked with O & G.  Not surprised about there being some racists in that group.  As for software, it's a very PC world, but I know there are racists in that world too.  This guy I know got fired for saying an African American colleague was "ashy."  I don't believe he was racist though,  but can't say stuff like that.

33 minutes ago, TriStone said:

My friend is HR at a manufacturing company and they went to Pride Night for the Astros game (that was the game that was picked prior to being pride night, not because of the night) and god damn did she have a lot to say about how people reacted.  Not just homophobic slurs in general, but worse towards gays of color. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My friend is HR at a manufacturing company and they went to Pride Night for the Astros game (that was the game that was picked prior to being pride night, not because of the night) and god damn did she have a lot to say about how people reacted.  Not just homophobic slurs in general, but worse towards gays of color. 

Sucks that y'all have to deal with that.  Maybe you should look into IT.  We're the United Nations of professions.

1 minute ago, TriStone said:

Sucks that y'all have to deal with that.  Maybe you should look into IT.  We're the United Nations of professions.

I mean, she expected it, because it's a manufacturing plant in the exurbs of Houston

I work in law, we're good. 

I've always heard Houston ain't like Texas, it's too diverse to have shit like that.  But I guess if we're talking exurbs, yeah.

It’s everywhere. No place in the world is free of racism and/or homophobia. Certain places just seem to have higher concentrations of hatred.

It’s true that Houston is extremely diverse. One of the only cool things about this shithole.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I've always heard Houston ain't like Texas, it's too diverse to have shit like that.  But I guess if we're talking exurbs, yeah.

Exurbs, yea. But go to the suburbs or the country clubs. You think those words aren’t getting thrown around at Sack’s country club or the O&G board meetings? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'm in software but worked with O & G.  Not surprised about there being some racists in that group.  As for software, it's a very PC world, but I know there are racists in that world too.  This guy I know got fired for saying an African American colleague was "ashy."  I don't believe he was racist though,  but can't say stuff like that.

Same, I’ve been in the group where someone corrected another person on email by saying “lightning  is what takes out our servers, lightening is what Michael Jackson does”.   

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s everywhere. No place in the world is free of racism and/or homophobia. Certain places just seem to have higher concentrations of hatred.

It’s true that Houston is extremely diverse. One of the only cool things about this shithole.

That and you can get a mansion for 400K.  Yep every zip code has bigots. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Exurbs, yea. But go to the suburbs or the country clubs. You think those words aren’t getting thrown around at Sack’s country club or the O&G board meetings? 

LMAO.

My bro lives in the Dallas burbs and he says that while the voting is pretty split, the Republicans are definitely a more noticeable group.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:02 PM, futureman said:

Texas is great. OP is a pussy. 

I love Texas and can't imagine living in any other country.  It is a damned shame though that a few racist assholes insist on making a huge splash that is so disgraceful to most of the population. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

OK I'll bite. What does that even mean?  I've only heard it used by women when referring to dry skin.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

OK I'll bite. What does that even mean?  I've only heard it used by women when referring to dry skin.

See below.  What's funny is apparently these two had been joking around quite a bit throughout that very conference call and calls in the past but when honkey lips said "_____ you're pretty ashy anyway" the Zoom turned silent.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I drove through Georgia last year and on I75 between Macon and Valdosta there’s a couple Perkins size, perhaps bigger, confederate flags alongside the interstate. So you’re not alone, Texas

A long, long time ago, I served this country.  I was stationed in Georgia and went to the mall with a few of my fellow soldiers, some of whom were black.  As we were going up the escalator we looked up and saw this tiny white guy with a shirt that had a rifle scope on MLK and underneath it the tagline said "we had a dream too."  I was pretty livid and said let's go confront that kid right now.  To my surprise, the black dudes said "man let it go.  This is the south.  You'd be confronting every other person if you let that get to you."  So.  Georgia.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Same.  I still hear the n-bomb once every 20 days or so from my completely Hispanic crew, too.  But was much more prevalent in the office setting when I was surrounded by guys from Morgan City and Houma.  And they’d let you know right quick and certain they weren’t from Houma, but rather Thibodeaux.  This was publicly traded O&G services co.   Blatant racism is heavier in certain industries, without a doubt. 

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The black girl he mentions is now his wife and mother of his child, and he went bald, so yeah, this clip is quite a few years old.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s become fashionable amongst members of the cabal to hate on all things Texas. Pick a thread in the cesspool and you’ll see it. We are fans/alumni of the flagship university and its pathetic to see the self-hatred.

I will always be proud to be a Texan. I love this state and will always rep the city and state I’m from. Fuck the Texas haters.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I love Hispanic people and they love me.  In fact they give me nicknames frequently.  The most common one was Peachy, which I don't really get but apparently, it's short for Peachy Merry Cone.  Love those people.

Did they compliment your Peachy Madre too?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

It’s become fashionable amongst members of the cabal to hate on all things Texas. Pick a thread in the cesspool and you’ll see it. We are fans/alumni of the flagship university and its pathetic to see the self-hatred.

I will always be proud to be a Texan. I love this state and will always rep the city and state I’m from. Fuck the Texas haters.

Wyatt Power.  Wait I mean yes, I’m here with the Danforths

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

The diversity of Houston includes an elevated strain of aggy/SETX/swamp aggy rednecks and the racism that comes with that, at levels not seen in other big TX metros.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

‘Cuz Texas. That’s your reason. Well said.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

‘Cuz Texas. That’s your reason. Well said.

More blind exceptionalism is always the answer. Because the only way you can love Texas is to think it is unquestionably perfect. If you think it can improve, you might as well hate the place and be from Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The diversity of Houston includes an elevated strain of aggy/SETX/swamp aggy rednecks and the racism that comes with that, at levels not seen in other big TX metros.

Idk dfw has the okie contingency.  But houston double downs with the Lsu crowd

as for Texas to me it can be argued as the best state in the union but there are some ducking shitty things as well

Edited by closetohumping

I've been disappointed in Texas and it's people more in the last few years than I've ever been in my life.

My man.
5th Gen here, texas historical marker on an ancestor’s grave. My bona fides are settled. And yeah….breaks my damn heart to see us lurching backwards so hard.
  • Hook 'Em 4

The only times I’ve been called a “nigger” have been in Texas. 

- 5th grade by a white bro (who, now that I’m older, realized he was on meth)

- reffing a basketball game in San Antonio and it came from the Castroville Medina Valley crowd

- White bro in Jacksonville

- some folks in the small ass town of Panhandle called me “Obama” so I count that. 

East Texas is just like Mississippi and Louisiana, and so is West Texas.  You can love the state of Texas and be proud of it all you want, but you should also recognize you can’t whitewash (no pun) what goes on in this state with your state pride.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

On 6/25/2022 at 9:48 AM, Valmy77 said:

East Texas is a bunch of traitorous Southerner-wannabes, not true Texans. They should all just move to Arkansas where they belong.

You misspelled DFW suburbs and exurbs.  Well, actually, pretty much everywhere in Texas outside of the largest central urban areas.

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You misspelled DFW suburbs and exurbs.  Well, actually, pretty much everywhere in Texas outside of the largest central urban areas.

Nah. West Texas may have issues but they don't think they are Southerners.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Southlake just perked it's head up.

Pretty sure Southlake is a DFW suburb or exurb, but yes I agree.  (And lest we be non-inclusive, we can't omit the Park Cities).  But to be honest I was thinking more about neighbors to the north and east of Dallas (Collin & Rockwall Counties primarily).

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

The only times I’ve been called a “nigger” have been in Texas. 

- 5th grade by a white bro (who, now that I’m older, realized he was on meth)

- reffing a basketball game in San Antonio and it came from the Castroville Medina Valley crowd

- White bro in Jacksonville

- some folks in Panhandle called me “Obama” so I count that. 

East Texas is just like Mississippi and Louisiana, and so is West Texas.  You can love the state of Texas and be proud of it all you want, but you should also recognize you can’t whitewash (no pun) what goes on in this state with your state pride.  

Thanks, Obama.

• Haha 1

Some SWAT team shit going down in River Oaks today.  3800 block of Del Monte.  Supposedly some doctor's son who is a Texas grad is holed up.  Rumor mill says potential terror suspect.  Terror aspect is probably BS.  But I have been getting texts about it all day.

A neighbor of the doctor and friend of mine sent me some pics of the dad with cops using bullhorn to communicate with him.  FBI involved.  A warrant was being served.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:55 AM, Helobious said:

The confederate flag flew over Texas for about 4 years, the Mexican flag flew for about 15. I wonder how those people would feel if I “honored our heritage” by putting a Mexican flag on everything.

You asked for it!

562732aa6b94407a406623db39d5b4ed.jpg

• Like 1