Hey Texas, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i just learned there is a jacksonville texas.

I had a frat brother from Jacksonville, TX.  Before the 2020 election he was posting on Facebook that we needed IQ tests before allowing anyone to vote.  

On 6/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, KaiserSoze said:

In my 26 years of career work (18 in software and 8 in film) I don't recall ever hearing a racial slur from a coworker. That would be a whole lot of WTF and certainly a problem everywhere I've worked since college.

O&G sounds like a backwater.

It’s not a backwater.  I imagine the field can be, but the industry has no tolerance for that kind of bullshit in an office setting. Been working in one for 22 years. I’ve taken many field visits. Never heard one slur. 

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. Fucking bullshit.

I have been inO&G since 2007. I have heard the n word, towel head, monkey, faggot more times than I can count. Again, this was working for a global EPC firm.

Ironically, since working for a European oil company, I have never heard the slightest bit of hate speech.

Go fuck yourself Rex.

Hard to hear it when he’s probably dishing them out between dips

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. Fucking bullshit.

I have been inO&G since 2007. I have heard the n word, towel head, monkey, faggot more times than I can count. Again, this was working for a global EPC firm.

Ironically, since working for a European oil company, I have never heard the slightest bit of hate speech.

Go fuck yourself Rex.

I’m not Rex and have been in it since ‘00. Never heard any of those. Maybe derogatory gay words but don’t recall because that is any industry. Seems like you’re either in the field with the blue collar guys or you’re really really trying here. Probably a combo of the two. Texas doesn’t need help looking bad these days.  What is a global “EPC” firm?

I’m not Rex and have been in it since ‘00. Never heard any of those. Maybe derogatory gay words but don’t recall because that is any industry. Seems like you’re either in the field with the blue collar guys or you’re really really trying here. Probably a combo of the two. Texas doesn’t need help looking bad these days.  What is a global “EPC” firm?

Wrong. I am not in the field. Office in the energy corridor in Houston. Global EPC = an engineering, procurement, and construction company that operates offices in many different countries including Australia, UK, USA, Peru and Brazil.

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wrong. I am not in the field. Office in the energy corridor in Houston. Global EPC = an engineering, procurement, and construction company that operates offices in many different countries including Australia, UK, USA, Peru and Brazil.

So a construction company that has a specific energy industry build out niche, like building pipelines and gas plants?

So a construction company that has a specific energy industry build out niche, like building pipelines and gas plants?

No, to be completely accurate, EPc. “c” being construction management. A very large engineering firm (process, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, civil/structural) that designed refineries, offshore platforms, and yes midstream infrastructure. Like I said, am office full of degrees professionals.

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No, to be completely accurate, EPc. “c” being construction management. A very large engineering firm (process, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, civil/structural) that designed refineries, offshore platforms, and yes midstream infrastructure. Like I said, am office full of degrees professionals.

Sounds like a process engineering firm. Regardless that’s shameful and as I recall you’re Latino and I’ve never understood why a white man will tell a black joke in front of Latinos or any other race. 

It is rare, post college, I’ve ever been around racism in the workplace. I’ve never been around blatant racism, college, high school or otherwise. I trust the experiences of you and Pancho. That has not been my experience and I don’t think that’s representative of the oil and gas industry, which is different than yours. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stop acting intentionally obtuse, Rex

I’m not. I haven’t seen blatant racism, or racism or homophobia period, in the workplace. I don’t doubt they occur and said as much to PS. By choice and having the luxury of that choice, I surround myself with people I want to and they’re not like that Have I heard racist jokes?  Yes. Probably not in 20 years. I’ve never heard any oilfield worker drop an n bomb or make another derogatory remark. Perhaps Rex is different. 

55 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not. I haven’t seen blatant racism, or racism or homophobia period, in the workplace. I don’t doubt they occur and said as much to PS. By choice and having the luxury of that choice, I surround myself with people I want to and they’re not like that Have I heard racist jokes?  Yes. Probably not in 20 years. I’ve never heard any oilfield worker drop an n bomb or make another derogatory remark. Perhaps Rex is different. 

that's exactly something that Rex pretending not to be Rex would say.

• Haha 7

18 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

It’s not a backwater.  I imagine the field can be, but the industry has no tolerance for that kind of bullshit in an office setting. Been working in one for 22 years. I’ve taken many field visits. Never heard one slur. 

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. Fucking bullshit.

Go fuck yourself Rex.

Full disclosure,  I  have no idea as to the job titles/positions of these posters in regards of their respective companies.  With that in mind, let me offer a thought.

Could it be possible that one hears slurs, and the other does not due to their positions in their respective companies. Having been in heavy construction for over 40 years, I am sure it occurred in the workplace.  However, while an employee might be okay with using slurs around his coworkers and lower management,  that same employee would not dare use those same slurs around superintendents, or project managers. Reason being,  as those of us in upper management absolutely had a zero tolerance policy for that type of behavior.  Even if an employee  "kiddingly" said something,  they were gone period.  No discussion,  no debate, they were GONE!

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

…as those of us in upper management absolutely had a zero tolerance policy for that type of behavior.  Even if an employee  "kiddingly" said something,  they were gone period.  No discussion,  no debate, they were GONE!

Did they ever come back as Porterhouse?

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I had a frat brother from Jacksonville, TX.  Before the 2020 election he was posting on Facebook that we needed IQ tests before allowing anyone to vote.  

i'm guessing that probably wouldn't work out quite the way he thinks it would 🤔

but hey, let's give it a try 😄

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

i'm guessing that probably wouldn't work out quite the way he thinks it would 🤔

but hey, let's give it a try 😄

I'm guessing it wouldn't work out well for either of the teams that imagine they're intellectually superior.

Independents would dominate, though, so there is that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:43 AM, TriStone said:

Sucks that y'all have to deal with that.  Maybe you should look into IT.  We're the United Nations of professions.

This true. Been in software for 30 years and have never heard a single slur.

That being said, I work in the warehouse/transportation software space. In the 90’s, I was at an old facility in VA that was purchased by my customer’s company from the federal  government.

I was walking a really old and unused office area of the warehouse with a supervisor. He’s black which became really uncomfortable when the following happened.

I’m rummaging around the metal government desks and boxes of files that have 30 years of dust on them. He walks to the back of the office and comes back with a sign that says “whites only water fountain”. He’s f’in enraged. It’s 1995, but it’s 1950 in that relic of an office. I’m a white guy. I was speechless. Tinge of white guilt. Warehouses are big. It was a long silent walk out of there with him back to the future (1995 office).

I switched careers at 31, so I have only been at the 15 years. These people I am talking are the only ones I recall. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a majority. But, any amount of that shit is too much.

I work for a Spanish company now (well, next week is my last). In the year I have been there, I haven’t heard anything racist. Quite a lot of misogynistic stuff from the guys from Spain or Latin America though.

I've been disappointed in Texas and it's people more in the last few years than I've ever been in my life.

This. Same for about half of the country as well.

4th generation Texan. Moved out in 98. Back from 08-11 then out again. Honestly I don’t miss it. Except for the barbque. I miss the barbque.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure Southlake is a DFW suburb or exurb, but yes I agree.  (And lest we be non-inclusive, we can't omit the Park Cities).  But to be honest I was thinking more about neighbors to the north and east of Dallas (Collin & Rockwall Counties primarily).

Collin County looks similar to the rest of Texas. Larger cities are more blue. In Frisco most of the red is in the Denton County side.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I switched careers at 31, so I have only been at the 15 years. These people I am talking are the only ones I recall. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a majority. But, any amount of that shit is too much.

I work for a Spanish company now (well, next week is my last). In the year I have been there, I haven’t heard anything racist. Quite a lot of misogynistic stuff from the guys from Spain or Latin America though.

How many more times are you going to make your “white man is bad” posts?

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As many times as you act a bitch. Which seems to be just about everyday Rex.

Sigh. Carry on then. At least I can ignore this thread now knowing your clear intentions. 

Sigh. Carry on then. At least I can ignore this thread now knowing your clear intentions. 

Cool, everyone is tired of your intentionally obtuse act. “Golly gee guys, I have never heard any racist things said at work, y’all must be lying. By the way I have been in this industry for 20 years can you explain what an EPC is? Ah shucks.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Cool, everyone is tired of your intentionally obtuse act. “Golly gee guys, I have never heard any racist things said at work, y’all must be lying. By the way I have been in this industry for 20 years can you explain what an EPC is? Ah shucks.”

EPC isn’t common vernacular in the E&P industry. I said it’s shameful y’all have heard this and never doubted you - I do not hear the same bullshit. But you’ve gone to great lengths to demonize people like me and it’s tiresome. Good day. 

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

EPC isn’t common vernacular in the E&P industry. I said it’s shameful y’all have heard this and never doubted you - I do not hear the same bullshit. But you’ve gone to great lengths to demonize people like me and it’s tiresome. Good day. 

No, a great day.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol wut?   There are tons of interaction, at least at BP and Oxy. 

I don’t work for a major or large independent. I work for myself. I’ve been in E&P for 22 years. Never heard “EPC” before this discussion. I’ve worked with process engineering firms that perform work mainly in midstream capacities and other non-energy businesses. Not sure what this has to do with this discussion, which is seemingly revolved around the lack of racist experiences I’ve not endured in my career, and how that makes me obtuse. 

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz.

Not incorrect.

Also, I thought you were done with this thread and all of making white people look bad. Fucking witch hunt!!1!

Incorrect on both notions. I’m not terribly interested in sharing my experiences when they’ll just be ridiculed as if I’m manufacturing them, even when I’ve been empathetic to you and Pancho from hearing bullshit. But, I don’t engage with with EPC firms. You’re applying a corporate brush to independents and you’re just wrong. I’ll refrain from the childish comments that you seem drawn to work for racist firms.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wasn’t directed at me.  Was directed at and about blacks by Hispanics.  

Directed by people like Swayze and not people like you?

Whoa. That’s a little too far, the instigator of that murder had been indoctrinated by a white supremecist prison gang.

I’ve got some background on this. When sheriff Billy Rowles arrived on scene at the Byrd murder, his very first call was to his good friend my father in law who was the FBI agent in Beaumont. He told him that something horrible had happened that transcended local law enforcement. My FIL was the first LEO to interrogate the murderers, and was the only LEO who could stomach attending Byrd’s autopsy. It took 3 autopsy tables to arrange the remains to something resembling a human body.

SETX may be backwards, but nobody condoned that heinous act.

you-sure-really.gif

I just finished up my sophomore year at Vidor High School when this happened. People my age were definitely outraged but the older Gary's Coffee Shop crowd weren't exactly broken up about it.

I will say this though. My parents moved from Vidor to Hernando, MS just outside of Memphis. SETX racism felt more like paper tiger KKK where they'd say racist shit around other white people but keep quiet in public. In Mississippi, I personally heard on a few different occasions old white guys calling African-American men of equal age "boy". It was out in the open over there. Of course this was 15 yrs ago but sounds like much hasn't changed.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, Helobious said:

The confederate flag flew over Texas for about 4 years, the Mexican flag flew for about 15. I wonder how those people would feel if I “honored our heritage” by putting a Mexican flag on everything.

You've obviously never been to Garland or Pleasant Grove

• 2 weeks later...

Of course there are decent folks there/from there. Plenty post on this site.

Regardless, there were several sundown towns in texas (mostly east I believe).

Attitudes have changed for a lot of folks, but pre civil rights era wasn’t that long ago. Anyways, I appreciate the assholes who fly stars and bars to some degree. It lets me know they aren’t worth even talking to.

I’m not condoning sundown laws but they weren’t a strictly southern thing. The Workers Paradise Peoples Republic of Oregon, progressive as some of you think it is, was probably the last state to have towns with these laws. Eastern Oregon and Washington are more Alabama than Alabama.