2023 LB Liona Lefau

Laxtonto

On 12/10/2022 at 4:57 PM, Vertigo said:

Sr. Highlights.  I like this guy.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13004200/63904cb419af930ae86f70e7

Very odd film for a HS LB. He is really good in coverage, which is very rare. Looks very patient in his reads (it is highlights, so its not like he will make a bad read). He has a high motor. Only thing I didn't see much is his ability to defeat blocks. Odd to see a LB that looks better vs the pass, than the run in HS. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I try not to add speculative info, but this is a commit I heard a bit about personally from people around him.  (Born and raised in Hawaii, and still there 8-10 weeks a year with a small condo in Waikiki with most of my family still out there.)

He's not considered in the same tier of talent as Manti Te'o/Tua/Mariota, but like most Hawaii kids, good work ethic and character.  Seems to have high football IQ and instinct/vision, which plays well to his projected position.  Concern is more just pure physical talent.  Just repeating what I'm hearing from a fairly honest source that would know.  I'm really hopeful he and Akana work out because I personally feel Austin has some things that local kids could really like here...it could bode well for the future.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TheAuditor said:

196lb?  That's on the small side for Texas 6A HS ball for sure.  Can't imagine that size at Texas.  Frame doesn't look likely to get to 230 but who knows.  Maybe the rare spin up to Safety?  

From the article: "The 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior linebacker led the Red Raiders (12-2) to their second consecutive state championship, recording 52.5 tackles, including six for loss, along with four sacks and two forced fumbles. Lefau was especially impactful in Kahuku High School’s postseason run, collecting 13.5 solo tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in the Red Raiders’ final two victories."

Were you thinking of Akana?

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From the article: "The 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior linebacker led the Red Raiders (12-2) to their second consecutive state championship, recording 52.5 tackles, including six for loss, along with four sacks and two forced fumbles. Lefau was especially impactful in Kahuku High School’s postseason run, collecting 13.5 solo tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in the Red Raiders’ final two victories."

Were you thinking of Akana?

Yep,  my bad,  Akana was the one who weighed in at 196 .   Wrong Thread,  I am self retrospectively perma banning myself from this thread.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lefau arrives in Austin from Hawaii with a high level of baseline athleticism, with his film playing (and succeeding) at wide receiver serving as evidence. His defensive highlights showcase an ability to do many of the things a linebacker in the Big 12 will be asked to do, including dropping into coverage and effectively blitzing from depth to get to the quarterback.

Many high school prospects rely on athleticism for their pass rush, and Lefau is no different. Where Lefau will need to make serious headway is in his ability to play the run, especially against college blockers in both the Big 12 and the SEC.

There is some evidence of it in his film, but there isn’t enough to think it’s a place he’s extremely proficient. His coverage ability answers a question many linebackers at his age are unable to answer, but his work against quality rushers and run blocking will determine what type of player he is at the Power 5 level.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/syllabus-week-what-payton-kirkland-liona-lefau-and-arch-manning-need-to-work-on/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...