2022 Wimbledon Championships

ss13

This is gonna be a weird one with no points & a couple countries kicked out. Play starts early Monday morning, ESPN has all the live coverage across their various platforms. 

Men's draw

Novak & Rafa on opposite ends, someone else can chime in on the youngsters. 

Women's draw

Iga is the clear favorite, but she has to lose at some point. Kontaveit is a laughable #2. For my random, hope-they-make-a-long-run pick, I'll go with Miss Anisimova. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I think Rafa's hurting more than we know and will have an early exit. Hope I'm wrong but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last slam he's in.

He’s radiated nothing but positivity off the back of his recent nerve treatment regarding the pain in his foot, so I don’t know how you could draw that conclusion. He looked good in his warmup matches at Hurlingham, too. I’d be surprised if he didn’t play every slam in 2023 (pending a new injury) even with a kid on the way. He does not want to concede the slam race to Novak.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:13 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

Iga hasn't proven herself on grass yet. With Iga vs. the field, I'm taking the field. 

I'll take Novak or Alcaraz to probably face Nadal in the finals, but the mens side is also pretty open. 

😂

You’re funny!

44D1B99D-3DC3-4872-AB57-74B09A04C301.thumb.jpeg.0f4dab5a15404cf8d382a17c76341c35.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair juniors success doesn’t always translate.  But yeah I’m comfortable that she is the favorite.  Jabber doesn’t convince me at majors.  I actually think Kvitova is my dark house for this one.  

On the men’s side you have to go with Joker or Nadal but Fritz would be fun to have make a run, and Berrettini will go deep.

16 hours ago, Bodowned said:

He’s radiated nothing but positivity off the back of his recent nerve treatment regarding the pain in his foot, so I don’t know how you could draw that conclusion. He looked good in his warmup matches at Hurlingham, too. I’d be surprised if he didn’t play every slam in 2023 (pending a new injury) even with a kid on the way. He does not want to concede the slam race to Novak.

consider his history:  the surgery last year didn't help-  it was still so bad afterward he thought about retiring.  after the aussie this year he was in pain again and the french open was in doubt.  in paris he was taking anesthetics and painkillers every 6 hours for 2 weeks with multiple injections before every match.  he played on a numb foot the entire tournament and after the last match when he came off the meds he felt so bad he once again thought about retiring.  his last treatment, radiofrequency ablation, has been effective so far and hopefully it lasts.  if it doesn't, the only remaining treatment is rest.  hopefully it works for years and we get a competitive rafa well into his late 30s, but he's been playing with this problem since he turned pro and this is a degenerative condition.   perhaps i'm projecting my own experience onto him, but lifestyle changes usually occur after a flurry of worsening symptoms and failed treatments.  

28 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Blown away that Hubie Hurkazc, one of the group in the tier below Novak and then Rafa, is OUT in the first round. 

Did anybody catch his opponent's failed between the legs shot on an early match point that nearly cost him the match?

7 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Did anybody catch his opponent's failed between the legs shot on an early match point that nearly cost him the match?

I did not, but heard the announcers referencing a between the legs shot when up 5-3 and then…

Didnt know if it was Bublik, Kyrgios in the past, Davidovich-Fokina today…

What an idiot. 

Still wish that Hubie had won because he could have been a real contender due to his game. 

I knew Nadal had a foot issue but I just looked up what he had. I used to work in foot & ankle surgery and I'm surprised he's been able to continue playing at this level. Mueller-Weiss syndrome basically causes the navicular bone in the foot to completely degenerate. If not manageable with conservative measures, it requires surgery to fuse it to the neighboring bone, and that requires probably 8-12 weeks 100% non-weightbearing, not to mention the recovery time to get back to running and get conditioning back up anywhere near his level. Suffice to say, if he did end up requiring surgery, I don't see him coming back at this point.

And Berrettini drops out to Covid.  Men’s draw is looking rough…

Putinseva losing to cornet is a shame.

I watched some of Murray and he is a shadow of what he once was.  Amazing that he can play with the artificial hip but he doesn’t have “it” anymore.

Fritz looking like he’s going to make a run.  His point to win the second set today was unreal.

The women’s matches I’ve seen haven’t been good quality so far.

And Fokina losing the fifth set to a point penalty is lame but those are the rules.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fritz looking like he’s going to make a run.  His point to win the second set today was unreal.

The women’s matches I’ve seen haven’t been good quality so far.

And Fokina losing the fifth set to a point penalty is lame but those are the rules.

As the other dude was celebrating what he thought was a winner. That was great.

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:22 PM, The Dog said:

didn't get to see much but the end of the match. 

Tan's game is great. Kind of like a female Santoro. 

Two handed slice both sides?

(Edited for "slice" not "slide."  Saw Santoro play at the Erickson in 2002ish.  Quietest player ever.  No noise at all when he hit the ball).

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Amanda over Coco in 3.  She kind of choked away the 1st set breaker then dominated the 2nd and 3rd at 2 and 1.

First set tiebreaker… only 2 of the 11 points in that tiebreaker were won with the wind. That was a tale of the wind carrying forehands out. 

Double A looked 😋 by the way. 

Iga is absolutely shitting the bed against Cornet. It is like she is playing her first match on a main court… IN HER CAREER!

She is just choking all over the place. Cornet is playing well, but Iga’s mistakes are just shocking. 

Edited by Napoleon