Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

On 11/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

You've been rooting for Kendall? 

Seems like the whole point of the show is that they are all pieces of shit, except for maybe Tom and Greg... they are the only two that have shown any kind of moral compass, but even they will sort of be dicks when it suits their needs.

Except Greg is sort of a leech, exactly what Kendall called him (which was needlessly cruel).  Tom is just an insecure loser who won the devil's lottery with Shiv.  I think the whole point of the show is the world would be a better place without anyone in the show.  Not one single person other than maybe Gerri (and she's really just a shameless yes woman) is really a productive or even fun person.  They're all miserable pricks without many redeeming moments, let alone qualities.  Someone said up thread that the show is getting a little old with all the characters just shitting on each other and I sort of agree.  The preposterousness of Kendall and his birthday party as he's having an emotional breakdown in the midst of a middle age crisis was fascinating and even amusing to degrees.  But the venom and acidic nature of the kids is getting tiresome.  Sort of agree that Shiv should white knight with Kendall so they even out the odds and give a proper push-pull to the paradigm.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Except Greg is sort of a leech, exactly what Kendall called him (which was needlessly cruel).  Tom is just an insecure loser who won the devil's lottery with Shiv.  I think the whole point of the show is the world would be a better place without anyone in the show.  Not one single person other than maybe Gerri (and she's really just a shameless yes woman) is really a productive or even fun person.  They're all miserable pricks without many redeeming moments, let alone qualities.  Someone said up thread that the show is getting a little old with all the characters just shitting on each other and I sort of agree.  The preposterousness of Kendall and his birthday party as he's having an emotional breakdown in the midst of a middle age crisis was fascinating and even amusing to degrees.  But the venom and acidic nature of the kids is getting tiresome.  Sort of agree that Shiv should white knight with Kendall so they even out the odds and give a proper push-pull to the paradigm.  

I said this earlier in the thread, but how is Greg any more of a "leech" than Ken, Roman or Shiv? It's not like he's an "outsider." He's a direct relative. He's Logan's nephew. What's the difference? They are ALL using their position as a member of Logan's direct family to their advantage. Would ANY of them have the positions they have if not for Logan? Fuck no.

I'm not sure I'd call Tom a "loser." He is obviously very insecure, but I think what the show has revealed about Tom is that he always THOUGHT he was the type of person who could succeed given access to the Roy family; but what he's discovering is that, unlike pretty much everyone in the Roy family, he actually has a moral compass that is creating massive cognitive dissonance as he tries to navigate life/work in the family. 

Edited by oSuJeff97

46 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I said this earlier in the thread, but how is Greg any more of a "leech" than Ken, Roman or Shiv? It's not like he's an "outsider." He's a direct relative. He's Logan's nephew. What's the difference? They are ALL using their position as a member of Logan's direct family to their advantage. Would ANY of them have the positions they have if not for Logan? Fuck no.

not a huge difference, but he’s a great nephew (his grandfather is logan’s brother and they hate each other). a little different than being one of logan’s children, especially in a family business/inheritance scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't really see what a season 4 does here. The show is great but it kind of seems like it is running its course. As noted above pretty much everyone is a toxic, awful person.

Big cliffhanger could be if somehow the DOJ reverses course and indicts/sentences Logan at end of Season 3 and then Season 4 could be all about how the kids try and battle over the company with Skaarsgard's character ending up in charge buying all of them out at the end of the run.

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't really see what a season 4 does here. The show is great but it kind of seems like it is running its course. As noted above pretty much everyone is a toxic, awful person.

Big cliffhanger could be if somehow the DOJ reverses course and indicts/sentences Logan at end of Season 3 and then Season 4 could be all about how the kids try and battle over the company with Skaarsgard's character ending up in charge buying all of them out at the end of the run.

I agree. It's become very repetitive. I still watch and enjoy, Greg and Tom are the best part; but something, anything, needs to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

still confused why it’s still everyone vs kendall 7/9ths thru the season. people switching sides, double-agents, sabotage, would’ve been great tv.

instead it’s watching ken falling down the stairs in slow motion and an overall lesson that wealthy people never get in real legal trouble. 

shit use of 2 good guest stars too.  is logan really talking about pierce again?  gtfo. 

• Like 2

Also, at its core, Succession is a comedy (I think you have to think of it this way to truly enjoy it how Armstrong, McKay and Ferrell intend it to be). The cycle of the same shit that the kids go through to be loved by a monster who could not care less about them emotionally is part of the schtick and adds to the absurdity that is Succession. It’s the shitshow at the fuck factory.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, RomaVicta said:

Roman mocking Ken

And I love my children, Blur Face and Who Cares.

I laughed again typing that. 

We've just caught up to this season. Lovely partial binge in the last week. Roman is an immortal character. They even gave him heart regarding his father's health and Shiv's letter about Ken. 

Shiv: It's accurate.

Roman: In a Lee Harvey Oswald sort of way.

I paraphrase, but the dialogue in this show is scrumptious.

If you've never seen Igby Goes Down, Roman is adult Igby, and not just because Rory Culkin. A film by Flock of Seagulls of Pulp Fiction fame.

• Hook 'Em 1

That was a great little film.  Features a young Lane Pryce from Mad Men.  Culkin steals the film from great actors like Jeff Goldblum.  

Now then, back to Shiv's ass.

jfc that was just one awkward and tense conversation after another!

"the date ladder" was so Costanza dating the supermodel 😄

and of course Roman fucked up with a dick pic.

i've said it elsewhere, but PSA: no woman ever wants a dick pic. if she says she does it's just bc she knows you want to send it. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm listening to The Ringer podcast The Watch right now. They make a compelling case both ways. 

Did the same, I didn’t think there was anyway, but like you said they make a really strong argument for it.  

Edited by Ted Lange

i think he’s ~punishing himself by putting himself in the position of the waiter who drowned. my guess is he’ll almost die which will shake up the family dynamic right when logan is losing faith in the others. 

of course that would mean “something” would happen, instead of the “nothing” that we’ve seen all season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, hornian said:

Also, why would Logan go to his ex wife’s wedding, even if she invited him?

Anyway; someone on Reddit screencapped Roman’s phone wallpaper:

A6029D8B-29B2-4A6A-B740-FC1D7D8C7EB6.jpeg

Nothing unusual about a guy having a picture of his sister as his wallpaper. I guess her being in a sultry pose while wearing a tight dress with her boobs pushed out might be a little incesty. LOL

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I don't think Ken is dead.

It wouldn't surprise me if he died at *some point* in the show, but an ambiguous death scene in the penultimate episode of season 3 doesn't feel like something this show would do. 

If their S3 cliffhanger is 1) GoJo deal going tits up, 2) Nan Pierce croaking or getting mauled by a bear or something, and 3) Naomi and Kendall orchestrate a Waystar - PGM merger, I'll probably throw up.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Nothing unusual about a guy having a picture of his sister as his wallpaper. I guess her being in a sultry pose while wearing a tight dress with her boobs pushed out might be a little incesty. LOL

Well he's also giving her the finger, but yeah he has some serious incestuous tendencies.