Succession -- HBO

11 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I realize that this is perhaps the ultimate "pointy knees - would not bang" but Shiv's weird FUELA (that's Fat Upper Eye Lid Area) is enough that I find her extremely odd and unpleasant looking. 

They're supposed to look like that! What the hell is wrong with you? 

41 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I realize that this is perhaps the ultimate "pointy knees - would not bang" but Shiv's weird FUELA (that's Fat Upper Eye Lid Area) is enough that I find her extremely odd and unpleasant looking. 

FUELA?  What the fuck?  That's rich coming from a guy who keeps old pumpkins around his house so they'll soften and he can gourd-bang them.  Well guess what?  Those evil fuckers talk.  And they've a lot to say about you!

Okay, what were we talking about?  Oh yeah, character arcs.  I think at this point, we need to acknowledge what Gandorf has brought up.  There is a purposeful attempt to not have the characters progress in any real way---good, bad, or indifferent.  McKay and the writers are trying something interesting here and I dig it.  "Mad Men" did it more perfectly than any other show in TV history.  The primary and secondary characters were all so richly written that there isn't a single character that you didn't despise and also cheer for over the course of the show's run.  Everybody was a protagonist, everybody was an antagonist.  "Succession" is attempting to accomplish that but not by having moments of clarity or heroism or empathy for some of the characters, but by allowing you to compare their relative degrees of awfulness.  Logan is the main manipulator, but so are all of them to each other, so is money, so is the elusive power, the inward looking public eyeballs, the government, etc.  By putting them in this grinder from which no real winner of life can emerge, they will gain some sort of empathetic traction.  Not through moments of humanity, but through a solicitude of sorts.  By having them stuck in idle, trying to just stay afloat in this shitstew they were born into/married into/employed into (in the case of jerri and the other senior leadership), they are developing by reverting.  Addition by subtraction as it were.  Many over-the-top dramas try this by just having everybody be so fucking shitty, that eventually you just root for somebody to be less shitty.  But Succession has other textural genius, dark comedy, and complexity that it's doing it in a really clever way. 

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just straight satire and is meant to just shit on media mogul families who seem to be the worst of all the entitled multi-generational rich shitbags in America.  At least the Oil and Chemical family empires brought you fun shit like serial killers, wrestling scandals, and museums.  

On 12/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

Can't remember if I've ever liked a show this much where all of the main characters are just awful people.  Tom and Greg are funny, but Greg is probably the only one who isn't just 100% terrible.  But he's moving in that direction quickly.

Lol the guy who wants to sue Greenpeace and has no loyalty to a single living human is the one character not 100% terrible?

I'm currently of the belief that Greg might actually be the worst human on the show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 4:12 PM, Lobo said:

But Succession has other textural genius, dark comedy, and complexity that it's doing it in a really clever way.

It's certainly dark but the attempts at comedy seem cliché and lame. At least to me.  What do you find genius about this season?

Just rewatched the last 10 minutes. The direction was done so well. The shot of Logan’s hand on Tom’s shoulder and Tom passing thru the door. The camera’s view goes back to Shiv, her posture defensive, seeing Tom, and then the camera does a quick zoom in to Shiv and you see the expression on her face clearly.  Wow

And was Kendall sandbagging Roman and Shiv in order to FINALLY band together and fuck Logan for good???

I’d they had just done this in episode one…….arghhhhhh.

And then, AND THEN, their own Mother absolutely FUCKS the so her prehistoric grifting gigolo can get access to some London apartments???

So, season four is The Roy Kids United v. Logan and his Cunts, featuring TOM & Greg?????

I’m all over the place.

I like it.

I will say… the three siblings car ride on the way to Logan had very strong “Nothing could possibly go wrong” vibes… it was practically a McBain scene where the partner is talking about retiring in two days to spend more time with the family three seconds before he’s riddled with bullets.

The whole thing was goddamn glorious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bravo! That was a great ending as Logan beat the united front of the 3 kids. They should just end the show here and reject any renewals from HBO. 

Having these kids lose to Logan season after season is gonna get hella boring. And beating a subset of kids is gonna be anti-climactic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Greg and Tom’s conversation about Greg’s possible future in the royal family of Luxembourg was priceless. “You’re a plane crash away from being Europe’s weirdest king. You off a couple of hemophiliacs and you’ll be the king of Luxembourg. Sounds like a fancy cookie”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Greg and Tom’s conversation about Greg’s possible future in the royal family of Luxembourg was priceless. “You’re a plane crash away from being Europe’s weirdest king. You off a couple of hemophiliacs and you’ll be the king of Luxembourg. Sounds like a fancy cookie”

"Get in there Greg, if Roman marries her he'll invade France"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Connor's outburst when it was just the kids was interesting. he wasn't wrong, he IS the eldest son. i'm surprised we've never seen that from him before since they all always just pretend he's nonexistent as far as passing the mantle goes. 

but we've never seen him push back on Logan with anything, have we? Logan just seems to tolerate and humor him but never take him seriously. he's an interesting character as he's always on the outside of the drama even though you would think he'd be the most vocal based on birth order. he really doesn't seem to care about any of it beyond how it can make him president lol.

but his little soliloquy when waiting for the car was telling. then Willa says 'wtf lets get married!' to make him feel better ...and every time we see her in the background after that she's crying 😄 that was good. 

i really can't believe their mother did that to them. part of me thinks she's obviously just as horrible as Logan bc why else would she have been married to him as long as she was... ...and then i wonder how shitty are the kids (other than what we've seen) that both their parents apparently hate them all. what a fucked up family!

Tom is awesome, but i do agree with what some others have said upthread...Greg is showing himself to be as shallow and greedy as the rest of them. Tom turned out to be damn smart.

Edited by mchookem

52 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Connor's outburst when it was just the kids was interesting. he wasn't wrong, he IS the eldest son. i'm surprised we've never seen that from him before since they all always just pretend he's nonexistent as far as passing the mantle goes. 

but we've never seen him push back on Logan with anything, have we? Logan just seems to tolerate and humor him but never take him seriously. he's an interesting character as he's always on the outside of the drama even though you would think he'd be the most vocal based on birth order. he really doesn't seem to care about any of it beyond how it can make him president lol.

but his little soliloquy when waiting for the car was telling. then Willa says 'wtf lets get married!' to make him feel better ...and every time we see her in the background after that she's crying 😄 that was good. 

i really can't believe their mother did that to them. part of me thinks she's obviously just as horrible as Logan bc why else would she have been married to him as long as she was... ...and then i wonder how shitty are the kids (other than what we've seen) that both their parents apparently hate them all. what a fucked up family!

Tom is awesome, but i do agree with what some others have said upthread...Greg is showing himself to be as shallow and greedy as the rest of them. Tom turned out to be damn smart.

Here is the thing…. Logan is right. And my opinion is he wasn’t intending to fuck his kids over outside of their legacy in the continuing company (they were going to make a shitload in cash and stock).  They were too blind to see this is the right deal because they were convinced Logan was fucking them over.  He was freezing them out knowing they’d fuck up the negotiation, and he was right.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Here is the thing…. Logan is right. And my opinion is he wasn’t intending to fuck his kids over outside of their legacy in the continuing company (they were going to make a shitload in cash and stock).  They were too blind to see this is the right deal because they were convinced Logan was fucking them over.  He was freezing them out knowing they’d fuck up the negotiation, and he was right.  

He wasn't trying to fuck them over, per se. He just slowly realized over the course of the past 3 seasons that none of his kids are/were worth successors to run the company:

• Kendall with his drug/alcohol problems and delusions of grandeur
  • Shiv is a phony with no experience in business whom nobody at the company respects
  • Roman was looking more and more like he *could* do it but he was also done in by his own proclivities and the accidental dick pic sealed his fate with Logan
  • Connor is Connor

The "make your own pile" comment was also pretty telling. Logan clawed the way to the top on his own and there's something about his kids' position of inherited power (which he is obviously responsible for) that he just doesn't respect. Recall also the "How much does a gallon of milk" rant in the "Boar on the Floor" episode.  

Which brings us to Tom. It's not like Tom's family is poor... IIRC both of his parents were/are attorneys in Minneapolis or something? But he's obviously not from Roy-level money, and in addition to being thankful to Tom for falling on the sword for Cruises and also staying loyal, Logan has to like that Tom is out there working on "making his own pile" so to speak. 

Tom is now the favorite son. But Kendall and Roman struck out at their chances in that role for various reasons, mostly their own demons/weaknesses. It will be curious to see what happens with Tom.

55 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

This is pretty interesting and plays into something they brought up on the Ringer podcast...

The main difference between Tom/Greg and the Roy sibs is that Tom/Greg observe their surroundings, listen to people and act accordingly. The Roy siblings are always 100% sure they are right all the time and don't listen to anything except what's already in their heads.

Roman should have paid attention to what Gerri was saying instead of just sending her dick pics all the time.

• Like 1

Hopefully we are done with the kids attempting to seize control of the throne. It's like watching the Washington Generals play basketball sure it can be entertaining but the outcome is inevitable. It will be interesting to see how Tom maneuvers with the new players after the merger.

Will he be more outwardly cutthroat or play the harmless son-in-law again?

• Hook 'Em 1