Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

It really is an interesting study in power. There are two specific moments where one character passes on $250M guaranteed and another passes on $2B, wealth that 99.99 percent of world will never approach. But the lust for power is bigger.

If you think about it that’s what’s driving a lot of what’s so wrong with the world: the desire to be able to exert control over others. It’s why Tom is so shitty to Greg: he’s the only show character he has any power over.

It doesn’t resonate with me at all. I’ve only ever wanted to attain a certain level of economic freedom. The lust for power is totally unrelatable to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, Red Five said:

Underlined, because it starts off that way. If it were the reverse I'd say it was crossed out. 

if i was just looking at the line, i would say underlined.  but considering the circumstances/intent, who would go back and underline something that was already typed out and printed?  you would only go back if you were crossing something out.

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

And their spaces and wardrobe are usually understated by high-end.  Never really gaudy, even the main Manhattan townhome.  They flash it in their close inner circle on occasion, but never to the public. 

it's called quiet luxury.  take an interest, dude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if i was just looking at the line, i would say underlined.  but considering the circumstances/intent, who would go back and underline something that was already typed out and printed?  you would only go back if you were crossing something out.

it's called quiet luxury.  take an interest, dude.

I don;t think we get the same mass mailers here, mate. 

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It really is an interesting study in power. There are two specific moments where one character passes on $250M guaranteed and another passes on $2B, wealth that 99.99 percent of world will never approach. But the lust for power is bigger.

If you think about it that’s what’s driving a lot of what’s so wrong with the world: the desire to be able to exert control over others. It’s why Tom is so shitty to Greg: he’s the only show character he has any power over.

It doesn’t resonate with me at all. I’ve only ever wanted to attain a certain level of economic freedom. The lust for power is totally unrelatable to me.

Well la-di-freakin-da. We got ourselves a perfect person here.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:14 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe this has been detailed and we missed it but what about Logan's voting shares?  Who do those go to?

I know with Robert Murdoch there are 8 total votes.  He has 4 and each of the 4 kids has one vote.  When he dies, they each get one of his votes or something like that.  Did his shares go to his wife, the kids, etc.?  There was a line where someone said the family no longer has controlling interest but that about it.

The Financial Times did a deep dive into the show, to include scouring .pdf files of the scripts etc...  They came up with a pretty good analysis of the Roy's net worth, who owns what, who controls what, the board etc... I had completely forgotten about the Retired Janitors of Idaho!

https://www.ft.com/content/a7ce31e0-06f0-4986-9eb9-f4322a40ffc3

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Financial Times did a deep dive into the show, to include scouring .pdf files of the scripts etc...  They came up with a pretty good analysis of the Roy's net worth, who owns what, who controls what, the board etc... I had completely forgotten about the Retired Janitors of Idaho!

https://www.ft.com/content/a7ce31e0-06f0-4986-9eb9-f4322a40ffc3

yeah, it can be a little confusing considering all the ground they've covered in 3+ seasons.  there was a time where every other scene was about cruises or theme parks (remember when roman went to his little management training school?). 

but lately it's been all about atn, which was going to be carved out of the acquisition, so it obviously isn't a super valuable piece of whatever mattison is wanting.  i know the rest of the season includes political/upcoming election, and there's already been plenty of atn stuff this season, so that's clearly what we're getting.

• Like 1

Didn’t see it posted here and I guess it’s kind of a structural spoiler of this season, though nothing specific plot-wise, but the actor who plays Stewie confirmed in an interview that:

Spoiler

This final season basically takes place over 10 days, roughly one per episode.

Interesting way to end it.

• Like 1

man this show is fantastic!

Roman is smarter and more intuitive than any of his siblings. i would not have said that last season. 

so Tom being a dick to Shiv actually made her attracted to him again? that tracks based on what we've seen of their intimacy. she is every bit as fucked up as her brothers. 

and did she snort coke with Matsson while pregnant?? surely not...we didn't actually see her do it, did we?? 

Karl cracks me up... he just wants his money and to gtfo. interesting that the kill list seemed to be all the men while the women were retained.

Any idea on Eric Northman's desire for ATN? He seemed to be in a rush to get the deal done as soon as possible and there is the election that people keep bringing up.

No but every little detail seems to matter, and Shiv was talking about ATN having an inside seat at Mencken’s table and how that could tarnish the brand (ha!) so it’s in the kids’ interest to get it done fast too.

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

That scene with Tom and Greg with Mattson at the table was so embarrassing I couldn’t even watch lol.

And I absolutely loved the addition of a hip-hop riff to the theme song here.

I’m going to miss this show so much.

Also reminded me of one of the early episodes where he was listening to rap on the way to do the Vaulter deal in the back seat of his black car, where the Vaulter guy calls him a nobody and daddy's boy, etc. which ended up being the same reception from Mattson. Not sure if it was meant to be a call-back or not.

Edited by HamsterHookah

Also reminded me of one of the early episodes where he was listening to rap on the way to do the Vaulter deal in the back seat of his black car, where the Vaulter guy calls him a nobody and daddy's boy, etc. which ended up being the same reception from Mattson. Not sure if it was meant to be a call-back or not.

It was from the pilot (the opening scene of the show, in fact) and Jesse Armstrong said that it’s meant to be a callback to remind us of Ken when he thinks he’s in control.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Was he? He had the worst lines

"We are snakes on a plane"

"I metabolize fast because I'm dynamic."

"That's almost huge, those darn 10th's of a second"

That’s what I meant. He was shaken throughout and saying ridiculous shit, much more material than he usually gets. The worry and attempted dismissal of the ski jumper was comical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

It was from the pilot (the opening scene of the show, in fact) and Jesse Armstrong said that it’s meant to be a callback to remind us of Ken when he thinks he’s in control.

Opening scene was Ken on his way into work on what was supposed to be his Inauguration Day, iirc. Definitely referring back to that. Curious if there’s any analysis of who he is listening to from people who know more about hip hop. I assumed Jay Z last night because I heard “hov”.

22 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Oof.

Shiv is getting played with a capital P.

we were cracking up at her "i can give you pr consult on the side if you need it".  "ok, step one, stop doing it", which is step one of every single piece of pr advice in history.

i did like the juxtaposition of what mattison thinks her role/sway/juice currently is with her brothers/waystar vs what it actually is since the announcement.  if they take 192, she's going to become beyond irrelevant and hopefully gets back into political mischief right before the election.  she fucking hates mencken who is definitely going to lose and call it rigged.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Opening scene was Ken on his way into work on what was supposed to be his Inauguration Day, iirc. Definitely referring back to that. Curious if there’s any analysis of who he is listening to from people who know more about hip hop. I assumed Jay Z last night because I heard “hov”.

Said Jay-Z on the closed captions 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

we were cracking up at her "i can give you pr consult on the side if you need it".  "ok, step one, stop doing it", which is step one of every single piece of pr advice in history.

i did like the juxtaposition of what mattison thinks her role/sway/juice currently is with her brothers/waystar vs what it actually is since the announcement.  if they take 192, she's going to become beyond irrelevant and hopefully gets back into political mischief right before the election.  she fucking hates mencken who is definitely going to lose and call it rigged.

There is no 192. That’s an obvious set up and head fake before the next big conflict. I thought you were a writer, how can you not see so obviously there is 0.00% chance the 192 happens, to be entertaining hypotheticals if it does?

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Tom and Shiv scenes were pretty funny. It feels like the ear flick was ad lib. 

Greg’s briefing on Matsson was another great Disgusting Bros moment. 

The Roman-Matsson showdown was terrific. 

I agree, I’ve felt a lot of things for Roman, mostly pity and disgust, but I think it was the first time I respected him.

Wasn't Quad Squad originally copyrighted by Pat Reilly when the Bulls had won one of their 3-in-a-row NBA championship runs and were gunning for a fourth.  Either '94 or '99, but each time Jordan retired so it never came to fruition obviously.  

Said Jay-Z on the closed captions 

It was “Takeover”.

Come on! Woo!
R.O.C., we runnin' this rap shit
Memphis Bleek, we runnin' this rap shit
B. Mac, we runnin' this rap shit
Freeway, we run this rap shit
O and Sparks, we runnin' this rap shit
Chris and Neef, we runnin' this rap shit

The takeover, the break's over nigga
God MC, me, Jay-Hova
Hey lil' soldier you ain't ready for war, R.O.C. too strong for y'all
It's like bringin' a knife to a gunfight, pen to a test
Your chest in the line of fire with your thin-ass vest
You bringin' them Boyz II Men, how them boys gon' win?
This is grown man B.I., get you rolled into triage biatch, your reach ain't long enough, dunny
Your peeps ain't strong enough, fucker
Roc-A-Fella is the army, better yet the navy
Niggas'll kidnap your babies, spit at your lady
We bring knife to fistfight, kill your drama
Uh, we kill you motherfuckin' ants with a sledgehammer
Don't let me do it to you dunny 'cause I overdo it
So you won't confuse it with just rap music

M-Easy, we runnin' this rap shit
The Broad Street Bully, we runnin' this rap shit
Get zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it
Freeway, we runnin' this rap shit
(Watch out! We run New York)

I don't care if you Mobb Deep, I hold triggers to crews
You little fuck, I got money stacks bigger than you
When I was pushin' weight, back in '88
You was a ballerina I got your pictures I seen ya
Then you dropped "Shook Ones" switch your demeanor
Well, we don't believe you, you need more people
Roc-A-Fella, students of the game, we passed the classes
Nobody can read you dudes like we do

Don't let 'em gas you like Jigga is ass and won't clap you
Trust me on this one, I'll detach you
Mind from spirit, body from soul
They'll have to hold a mass, put your body in a hole
No, you're not on my level get your brakes tweaked
I sold what your whole album sold in my first week
You guys don't want it with Hov'
Ask Nas, he don't want it with Hov', no!

B. Sigel, we runnin' this rap shit

I know you missin' all the (fame!)
But along with celebrity comes 'bout 70 shots to your frame
Nigga, you a (lame!)
You's the fag model for Karl Kani, Esco ads
Went from, Nasty Nas to Esco's trash
Had a spark when you started, but now you're just garbage
Fell from top ten to not mentioned at all
To your bodyguard's Oochie Wally verse better than yours

Matter fact you had the worst flow on the whole fuckin' song
But I know the sun don't shine, then son don't shine
That's why you're (lame!) Career come to a end
There's only so long fake thugs can pretend
Nigga, you ain't live it you witnessed it from your folks pad
You scribbled in your notepad and created your life
I showed you your first tec on tour with Large Professor (me, that's who!)
Then I heard your album 'bout your tec on the dresser

So yeah, I sampled your voice, you was usin' it wrong
You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song
And you ain't get a coin nigga you was gettin' fucked and
I know who I paid God, Serchlite Publishing
Use your (brain!) You said you been in this ten
I've been in it five, smarten up Nas
Four albums in ten years nigga? I can divide
That's one every let's say two, two of them shits was due

One was nah, the other was "Illmatic"
That's a one hot album every ten-year average
And that's so (lame!) Nigga switch up your flow
Your shit is garbage, but you try and kick knowledge?
(Get the fuck outta here!) You niggaz gon' learn to respect the king
Don't be the next contestant on that Summer Jam screen
Because you know who (who) did you know what (what)
With you know who (yeah) but just keep that between me and you for now

The Broad Street Bully, we runnin' this rap shit

A wise man told me don't argue with fools
'Cause people from a distance can't tell who is who
So stop with that childish shit, nigga I'm grown
Please leave it alone, don't throw rocks at the throne
Do not bark up that tree, that tree will fall on you
I don't know why your advisors ain't forewarn you
Please, not Jay, he's, not for play
I don't slack a minute, all that thug rappin' and gimmicks
I will end it, all that yappin' be finished
You are not deep, you made your bed now sleep

Don't make me expose you to them folks that don't know you
Nigga I know you well, all the stolen jewels
Twinkletoes you breakin' my heart
You can't fuck with me go play somewhere, I'm busy
And all you other cats throwin' shots at Jigga
You only get half a bar, fuck y'all niggaz (come on)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Wasn't Quad Squad originally copyrighted by Pat Reilly when the Bulls had won one of their 3-in-a-row NBA championship runs and were gunning for a fourth.  Either '94 or '99, but each time Jordan retired so it never came to fruition obviously.  

It was threepeat in the 80s.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/22/sports/any-three-peat-pays-riley.html

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, Bama Chick said:

I’m going to miss this show so much.

at this point i am really hoping for something more in this universe. they have done a great job of universe building - give me a Matthew Macfadyen spin off of what he does after things explode here (we won't get this i am sure)

16 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

also from reddit, here are the two scenes/introductions with audio

https://old.reddit.com/r/SuccessionTV/comments/12xekd1/kendall_roy_iconic_introduction_in_season_1_vs/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

There is no 192. That’s an obvious set up and head fake before the next big conflict. I thought you were a writer, how can you not see so obviously there is 0.00% chance the 192 happens, to be entertaining hypotheticals if it does?

sigh.  yes, i've mentioned several times this season that whatever gets in the way, the deal is not happening.  writing is about choices.  the way you make your choices is to play them all out and to see where they take you, and choose the one with the prettiest view.

my response was to a post talking about shiv getting played and her role in this.  i was gaming this out from her perspective because i find it interesting right now.  she got squeezed out of the threesome with a bunch of mixed metaphors, and in typical shiv fashion, she's acting like a dipshit.  that's who she is.

this show works on a rotating entourage-style story arc, where everything is great, then everything is trouble, then everything gets solved, until it doesn't.  this isn't lost or 24.  it's practically a cbs procedural at this point.

but yes, sure, i'll be the one person who isn't entertaining hypotheticals on this thread.  good god, man.  i guess every thread needs a shiv.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, NoName said:

from reddit, this is what they were joking about re: Greg lol

4lrq4yfxswva1.jpg

the complete exchange in Swedish:

Matsson: "Are we at one of those incestuous family meetings?"

Oskar: "That's 2 meters of pure nepotism. An inbred Hapsburg giant."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny that Ken’s first instinct, to tell Matson to fuck off and stay in New York to deliver terms, was likely the right call.

He was too easily called off by the old guard, who have little on their mind but the sale.

They kept wondering what their father would have done? He was already in the process of serving all those old fucks up for dog food.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 4/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, CooterBrown said:

Oh yeah. She was so smug when the final offer came in and didn’t even notice the strings Mattson was pulling her with. That blood story was fake as shit to make her feel like she had done leverage in the future.

I think he did play her to get information that the deal with ATN folded in was possible, but I actually believe the blood story because Carolina (the Waystar Royco comms person) was not on the kill list, and that other woman was legit acting weird and left the retreat early. 

Interesting Shiv wants to fire Syd, and then asked Tom to dinner. Any chance that’s actually his kid? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, HamsterHookah said:

I disagree. The 192 is real, I think. I think Mattson was responding to what he perceived to be Roman's very real desire not to sell to him. He is giving them a price the board will not reject, so that Roman has to do what Mattson wants. It's a power play; he is buying Roman and Ken and showing them they are irrelevant and what they want does not matter. He cultivated Shiv so he could split and weaken the three siblings. And that's why he wanted her to take a picture of Roman and Ken when the deal landed - to watch them in agony knowing the sale was now unstoppable but having to pretend that everything was good and they did a good job. 

Edited by BHMCruiser
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think he did play her to get information that the deal with ATN folded in was possible, but I actually believe the blood story because Carolina (the Waystar Royco comms person) was not on the kill list, and that other woman was legit acting weird and left the retreat early. 

Interesting Shiv wants to fire Syd, and then asked Tom to dinner. Any chance that’s actually his kid? 

Probably like 90% chance? Otherwise it’s a really stupid plot point that I think these writers are too good for.  

Pretty obvious that Shiv had a heavy hand with the kill list, with Gerri, my future wife Karolina, and Tom all surviving. Of course it won’t “work out” for Shiv in the business sense just like it won’t for Kendall and Roman. This series concludes with all three being broken, obscenely wealthy people without a true compass or purpose. 

• Like 1