Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

So… I must have interpreted the Shiv call differently, because what I heard was not a VM message but rather a “this number is no longer in service”, reinforcing that she never intended to speak with her ex.

I found it strange thereafter that, with the camera on him the entire time, Kendal didn’t utter a word while on the phone…

Did he too receive the out of service message? I suppose that would make sense as a “his number isn’t working so Shiv is full of shit” but probably could have been handled more deftly in that case.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

So… I must have interpreted the Shiv call differently, because what I heard was not a VM message but rather a “this number is no longer in service”, reinforcing that she never intended to speak with her ex.

I found it strange thereafter that, with the camera on him the entire time, Kendal didn’t utter a word while on the phone…

Did he too receive the out of service message? I suppose that would make sense as a “his number isn’t working so Shiv is full of shit” but probably could have been handled more deftly in that case.

Yeah that’s how I took it. Kendal calls Nate, number no longer works, Kendal realizes Nate is no longer accepting their calls/won’t play ball, and Shiv is full of shit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah that’s how I took it. Kendal calls Nate, number no longer works, Kendal realizes Nate is no longer accepting their calls/won’t play ball, and Shiv is full of shit. 

I think Shiv made a call to a bullshit number and then Kendall called Nate and learned that Shiv never talked to him.  Kendall was too pissed to have just gotten a "no longer in service" recording.  He would have asked her if she called Nate on a different number.  Kendall's reaction was from learning, point blank, that Shiv had flat out lied.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think Shiv made a call to a bullshit number and then Kendall called Nate and learned that Shiv never talked to him.  Kendall was too pissed to have just gotten a "no longer in service" recording.  He would have asked her if she called Nate on a different number.  Kendall's reaction was from learning, point blank, that Shiv had flat out lied.

This.  Not that complicated.  Shiv faked the call to Nate because she could convince Ken to not let ATN call it for Mencken and still have Gojo deal go through after because what are Ken and Roman going to do at that point?   She got greedy.  Ken called, off camera Nate said he never talked to her. Ken is rightfully pissed.  The end. 

If she really cared about “the republic” as much as she lets on she would have bit the bullet and gotten Nate and Jiminez to cut a deal even though it kills the Gojo deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Except that, again, Kendal never utters a word while on the phone with Nate and we track his movements the entire time.

The net result is the same, and I can see your path as well, sans that particular detail.

Pardon my ignorance on this part, but how much did it really matter that ATN called Wisconsin prematurely?

If Fox News called Georgia or Arizona early in 2020, or even declared Trump the president, that would not have changed the actual outcome. It would only create divisiveness, which did happen. The result would still be the result.

Was this intended to show that the Roy children, or possibly mass media in general, overestimate their influence in politics? They have enough narcissism to believe that a decision by Roman and Kendall would determine the next president?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it’s more that the premature call forced their hand once another state was decided in Mankin’s favor. They could have held out, I suppose, to see if others counterbalanced and they could call that state another way, but that would have undercut their desired result anyway…

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Except that, again, Kendal never utters a word while on the phone with Nate and we track his movements the entire time.

That’s simply not true though. The camera shows him start the call and then cuts to Shiv and Roman in the conference room. It then cuts back to him several seconds later as he looks into the conference room with the phone to his ear. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Pardon my ignorance on this part, but how much did it really matter that ATN called Wisconsin prematurely?

If Fox News called Georgia or Arizona early in 2020, or even declared Trump the president, that would not have changed the actual outcome. It would only create divisiveness, which did happen. The result would still be the result.

Was this intended to show that the Roy children, or possibly mass media in general, overestimate their influence in politics? They have enough narcissism to believe that a decision by Roman and Kendall would determine the next president?

I don’t think we know this answer until next week and that anyone who assumes something else hasn’t really been watching the show. 

Edited by skittlebrau

5 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I think it’s more that the premature call forced their hand once another state was decided in Mankin’s favor. They could have held out, I suppose, to see if others counterbalanced and they could call that state another way, but that would have undercut their desired result anyway…

they all thought/hoped the election wouldn’t hinge on wisc. it was more about giving mencken what he wanted from them at the time.

and yes, kendall spoke to nate and found out quickly that shiv was being a duplicitous dipshit. again. it wasn’t twisty or confusing. 

On 5/15/2023 at 2:12 PM, Chewbacca said:

If there's one thing Greg knows is how to keep sensitive info to blackmail people with it later.

You store it, you hoard it, you save it for a special occasion, and then you smash someone's fucking face in with it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

“It’s only a hint of lemon!”

Fucking great episode. Wasabi scene was hilarious and the rest was great, packed with great dialogue as ever. For those feeling triggered by it, keep in mind it’s a satire/comedy and has been reflecting back real life for four seasons. There is no altruism, even Shiv. Being anti-Mencken is convenient for her, nothing else. This show is about power and what a bunch of fucking weirdos the power-hungry are. Nothing else matters to them, not money, not family, and not the country.

^

As would I.  But as the 3 others crave power and validation from Dad, Connor's itch that needs to be scratched is he wants to be viewed as intellectual and complex.  

Finally got around to watching this one and wow...the commentary on how, in the quest to seem & feel controlling of American politics, spoiled and insane ineptitudes can accidentally fuck up a Republic was about as subtle as malaria with no toilet access. 

This is it.  There is no arc.  I like that.  Everything this season since Logan's death to this is just parody.  There's no arc, no redemption, no sunset.  Here's a fucked up family working their shit out on one another, and America suffers as a result.  Roll ATN credits.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 7:35 PM, Party_Taco said:

Sorry if already asked and answered, but what did Kendall send Greg off to do right after he hung up?

9 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Can someone remind me why Connor isn't involved in the business like the other kids?  It can't just be because he has a different mother.

I don't know if they've ever directly addressed it, but I think this actually is the reason.

Thinking about the timeline of the show... Kendall just turned 40, and assume Shiv and Roman are supposed to be a few years younger, which means that Logan was initially with their mother at least 40 years ago, if not a few years prior; so that would probably have put Conner in his late teens or early 20s (at the oldest) when Logan and his mother split up... (assuming that Conner is supposed to be in his early 60s in the show...Alan Ruck is 66 IRL).

We know that Logan was with Kendall/Roman/Shiv's mother until Shiv was 14 (?)...(it was mentioned last season, can't recall exactly)... so Logan was likely completely focused on his "new" family essentially for the entirety of Conner's 20s and maybe into his early 30s. 

So the likely situation is that Logan basically sent him and his mother on their merry way with a big payoff and either Conner never had any interest in joining the business or Logan had no interest in "inviting him" since he was focused on his "new" family at the point in Conner's life when he would have otherwise joined the business.

20 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think the idea was that, knowing Menkan's fascist tendencies, he would basically declare himself the winner as soon as a reputable network declared the win, which is exactly what he did. Does that mean he DID win or was the TRUE winner? Indeterminate. But being the good fascist, he was certainly going to declare himself the winner and imperil democracy, as Shiv predicted he would.  

And I think the point was to show that, YES, just a few people sitting in a room making calls CAN "decide" these things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I haven’t been able to peg Connor’s age on the show. Obviously Ruck is a good amount older in real life. The intro of the show, though, has the four siblings but the oldest doesn’t look but a couple of years older than the second oldest kid. Maybe I’m putting too much weight on the intro or they weren’t thinking about it that closely.

16 hours ago, Stringer said:

I haven’t been able to peg Connor’s age on the show. Obviously Ruck is a good amount older in real life. The intro of the show, though, has the four siblings but the oldest doesn’t look but a couple of years older than the second oldest kid. Maybe I’m putting too much weight on the intro or they weren’t thinking about it that closely.

Yeah I think it's the latter.

The opening credits are supposed to give you a "vibe" but really represent the real characters.

I get that that TV shows bend ages of actors to suit roles, but it sure seems like, in the world of the show, Conner would have to be *at least* 15 years older than Kendall. Honestly I think 55 is a stretch for Alan Ruck, but you could say living out in Santa Fe or wherever in the desert aged him like Obi-Wan, lol. 

how old was logan supposed to be when he died?  80?  early 80's?  that would put conner in his late 50's most likely.  i know in real life cox and ruck are only 10 years apart.

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

He’s the “first pancake” - the one you throw out.

this is a great expression.  hadn't heard it in a while.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I think it's the latter.

The opening credits are supposed to give you a "vibe" but really represent the real characters.

I get that that TV shows bend ages of actors to suit roles, but it sure seems like, in the world of the show, Conner would have to be *at least* 15 years older than Kendall. Honestly I think 55 is a stretch for Alan Ruck, but you could say living out in Santa Fe or wherever in the desert aged him like Obi-Wan, lol. 

Ruck said in an interview he is ten years older than his character, and only ten years younger than Cox IRL, and he is 68.  So Connor is somewhere mid to late 50s probably, yeah?  

23 hours ago, speed817 said:

I'm starting to worry about Mondale.  He was nowhere to be found at the Tailgate party.  Doesn't look like anybody has taken him for a walk throughout the series.  Someone needs to call PETA....

It was established pretty early on neither Tom nor Shiv actually walk Mondale, the help does that.  They only greet him in his pen when they get home from ruling the world.

Edited by TOR
mondalE
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think the idea was that, knowing Menkan's fascist tendencies, he would basically declare himself the winner as soon as a reputable network declared the win, which is exactly what he did. Does that mean he DID win or was the TRUE winner? Indeterminate. But being the good fascist, he was certainly going to declare himself the winner and imperil democracy, as Shiv predicted he would.  

And I think the point was to show that, YES, just a few people sitting in a room making calls CAN "decide" these things.

exactly this (omg willing suspension of disbelief) with a sprinkle of... it is a true unknown what legally can be done with a bunch of burnt up votes in Milwaukee, and will the other news outlets want to be the channels who haven't picked a winner, and is it possible that any of the black robed wizards who will eventually decide the actual outcome happily drink the ATN poison every single day? 

honestly that idea of burning an urban precinct to the fucking ground in a swing state is scary

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Didn't I read that they shot all this in December? Interesting to think about the crew not knowing Jan 6 was going to happen when this episode was produced.

You think this was shot in December of 2020?

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Think I read the opposite. The entire season takes place over a week or so but it was shot over a few months. 

Hope they have Logan on ice or in a deep freeze, the trip to Norway put a kibosh on the funeral.  That is supposed to be the penultimate episode before Tom and Cousin Greg take over  right?

Mattson didn’t promise Shiv the CEO gig. He very well can name Greg that and the siblings are then SOL without any real control of Waystar. 

I half expect Mattson to name Greg as CEO in title only, especially after they went out drinking together and he knows Greg is someone he can control.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think this thing is gonna end with none of the three main siblings winning.

This show has consultants, and unless the stock has really rocketed, under Delaware law I don't see how the board can say no to the per share premium in Mattson's offer. Even if the Board knew a lot of employees would be fired and it would decimate communities, it is supposed to be guided solely by what's in the best interest of the shareholders, disregarding effects on the employees/stakeholders.

I could see Mattson winning and leaving all of the siblings hanging as to who he'll pick to "run" US operations. Or maybe he just strips Waystar for parts. Or hell, maybe he'll just name Connor his US guy in a total curveball.