Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

whatever happened to roman's wife?  it's like she never existed.

IIRC, it was explained away that the woman with him in the pilot was a girlfriend/fiance who happened to have a kid already.  His craving for acceptance from this father, and even his siblings, works better if he has nobody to lean on elsewhere with the exception of Gerri sexting.  I'm guessing it was a plot device decision, Roman character works better solo and the writers realized it as soon as the pilot aired.  

She's probably on a farm somewhere with Mandy Hampton from the White House and George Costanza's brother.  I SMELL SPINOFF! 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

IIRC, it was explained away that the woman with him in the pilot was a girlfriend/fiance who happened to have a kid already.  His craving for acceptance from this father, and even his siblings, works better if he has nobody to lean on elsewhere with the exception of Gerri sexting.  I'm guessing it was a plot device decision, Roman character works better solo and the writers realized it as soon as the pilot aired.  

She's probably on a farm somewhere with Mandy Hampton from the White House and George Costanza's brother.  I SMELL SPINOFF! 

she was in a few episodes.  thought i remembered tom and shiv coming over like a double date, but i haven't seen season 1 in a while.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shiv looks enormously pregnant in this episode. Anyone with eyes would be congratulating her. Not just her mum.

Kind of weird. 

This.  I don't know if the absence of people noticing was supposed to be some tacit script device like everybody is afraid to congratulate her because:

1.  What if it is the classic fuckup and she's not pregnant and just getting fat?  And she tears you a new asshole because she can. And it's yet another thing Shiv is uncomfortable with? 

2.  But surely the people that know her best, Tom and her brothers and even Willa and Greg and Marcia?  Wouldn't they pick up on it and say something out of support?  

I think that nobody said anything until the mean Mom suggests something.  But it's all over now, so we're left to the finale.  

I gotta get back to Greg's pretend ATN focus group...there's talk of keybumps.

I've learned the hard way you never, ever congratulate a woman on being pregnant until one of two things happens:

1.  She puts a hand on her belly and says, "I'm/We're Pregnant/Expecting!"  

2.  You see the baby crowning and she asks you to call an ambulance.  

It amazes me though, I can't go 15 minutes in public without somebody telling me they are vegan, in crossfit, from NY/LA, or refusing the vaccine because I said hello and my name.  But a pregnant woman can go 15 weeks without telling me and then get pissed off I didn't say "congrats" out of the clear  blue sky.  Better to be the guy who doesn't say a preemptive best wishes message by a dozen women than the guy who said, "So when's your due date" to a woman with no prospects for fertilization.  

5 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yeah....  Kendall had to tell him to cut it out.  Though it was a sign of humanity that he stood up for his brother in that moment against the putative POTUS-elect without hesitation.

Ken has done that several times throughout the show. He barked at Tom when Tom got a little too nasty with Shiv in last week's episode and almost got into it with Logan while defending Rome one time.

Remember how after the series ended, fans unpacked the color schemes of myriad breaking bad episodes/scenes?  

I wonder if there’s a significance to when people say Shiv or Shiboan, Ken or Kendall, Rome or Roman or Romulus, Con or Connie or Connor (whatever Jerry wants).?   Gonna miss this show.  Started out as summer filler for HBO.  Then we craved it for two seasons during Covid as soul food.  Now it’s just straight over the plate cinematic parody of the highest order.  

she was in a few episodes.  thought i remembered tom and shiv coming over like a double date, but i haven't seen season 1 in a while.

Grace, the mythical wife/girlfriend and kid, was from the pilot and the show runner dropped that aspect of Roman’s character immediately.

d7a3ebb292d9a5eb5f764c222488c37b.jpg

You’re thinking of Tabitha - whom Roman met at Tom’s bachelor party after she hooked up with Tom and made Tom swallow his own cum.

She yeeted out of Roman’s life sometime in season two after that the party for Logan in Dundee (she was delightedly videoing Kendall performing “L to the O to the G”because he wouldn’t have actual sex with him.

She supposedly shot some scenes for the Los Angeles episode but they were cut.

8c302d19f2b4f6c00b9aef3127576bf9.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a dream last night.  Kendall gives Rava a gun to protect herself.  Something awful happens to the kids in front of her and Kendall.  While immediately in shock and grief,  she blames Kendall for creating this, pulls the gun on him, and then she is immediately shot by Colin.  Kendall is left alone getting the CEO role at the cost of his family's lives.

10 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Had a dream last night.  Kendall gives Rava a gun to protect herself.  Something awful happens to the kids in front of her and Kendall.  While immediately in shock and grief,  she blames Kendall for creating this, pulls the gun on him, and then she is immediately shot by Colin.  Kendall is left alone getting the CEO role at the cost of his family's lives.

And then the outro music plays over the he credits

🎶 I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day 🎶

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I thought that was one of the the greatest moments of the show - At first when she grabbed Kerri and started to take her up front I thought it was just Lady Caroline trying to punch down at Marcia when she could - instead, in all her brutal honesty, she collects "her own Kerri," introduces her to Marcia, and brings them all, together, to the front pew they were implicitly all promised. And in return, Marcia not only shares pride of place, but demonstrates real compassion for Kerri, who in some sense lost more than any of the others.

When it was mentioned that Logan grinds (ground) his teeth at night, the 4 women all kind of acknowledged it, especially Kerry as she broke into tears. That was a great moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Predictions-

-Menken will actually lose - he was pulled away from the kids by an aide who said “Ohio”. Jimenez wins and now everything is chaos.

-Mattson does something publicly insane.

-The board vote is a bloody knife fight and they reject the deal.

-Kendall’s Army goes to work.

-Hugo plants some nasty stuff about Shiv and Roman. The Gerri stuff. Shiv’s pregnancy and her marriage.

-Colin puts his skills to work on Ken’s behalf. He gathers the evidence of the ATN shenanigans on Election Night and all the blame falls on Roman and Tom.

-Greg is Kendall’s new Ratfucker Sam. He has Greg fire Tom.

-Roman and Shiv are finished at Waystar - their relationship with Ken is irrevocably broken.

-Rava gets an emergency restraining order and Ken loses all contact with his kids.

-Kendall is the new CEO but he has now become Logan and is left alone.

Bravo, but... all that deserves 10 episodes of a Season 5. Sigh,

Edited by yoladu

37 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

26 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

And then the outro music plays over the he credits

🎶 I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day 🎶

The Sopranos' Finale, 10 Years Later: Tony's (Alleged) Killer Speaks |  TVLine

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

When it was mentioned that Logan grinds (ground) his teeth at night, the 4 women all kind of acknowledged it, especially Kerry as she broke into tears. That was a great moment.

And to the poster who pointed out that Kerry actually lost the most, it dawned on me the others at least got a pound of flesh in material/wealth/money for their trouble whereas Kerry likely got nothing. Mentioning she brought a lawyer friend to try and haggle to even get in the funeral was telling.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Grace, the mythical wife/girlfriend and kid, was from the pilot and the show runner dropped that aspect of Roman’s character immediately.

d7a3ebb292d9a5eb5f764c222488c37b.jpg

You’re thinking of Tabitha - whom Roman met at Tom’s bachelor party after she hooked up with Tom and made Tom swallow his own cum.

She yeeted out of Roman’s life sometime in season two after that the party for Logan in Dundee (she was delightedly videoing Kendall performing “L to the O to the G”because he wouldn’t have actual sex with him.

She supposedly shot some scenes for the Los Angeles episode but they were cut.

8c302d19f2b4f6c00b9aef3127576bf9.jpg

correct.  i was referring to tabitha who is credited with 3 episodes and then kinda disappeared.

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

And to the poster who pointed out that Kerry actually lost the most, it dawned on me the others at least got a pound of flesh in material/wealth/money for their trouble whereas Kerry likely got nothing. Mentioning she brought a lawyer friend to try and haggle to even get in the funeral was telling.

That's right - all she got was a tiny, brief taste of the billionaire lifestyle while sharing a bed with an old man. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's right - all she got was a tiny, brief taste of the billionaire lifestyle while sharing a bed with an old man. 

Hey, maybe that anchor host job may still pan out.  You don't know!  

I know it's a show but in real life, it's funny to me when I know or hear about a younger woman who was having an affair with an older man for money/fame.  And in the end, she gets nothing.  I've known a half-dozen women like that.  And read about dozens more.  It's not funny to me because they get nothing after sucking on old dick for a few years.  As long as it was consensual, I don't care.  It's funny because they don't realize during, or even after, that was part of the turn on for the guy.  It wasn't just the young ass, it was the plot to kick you to the curb down the road with nothing to show for it.  That's part of the eroticism for the man, knowing he holds all the cards including the ending one.  I suspect for Logan most of all.  

Which I think ties into some above comments.  Logan will throw one more monkey wrench into this with his Will.  No way a guy like that goes out with a single page letter in a safe and a video montage.  He's gonna fuck with his family, with Matsson, and America one last time.  I'm stoked.  But also saddened that it's over.  This started out as a bridge filler in the summer of 2018.  We grew to love and crave it during Covid seasons 1 & 2.  And now it's just a masterclass in satire.  

Though they are mostly attractive and young and well paid, I almost feel bad for this cast.   They will never be this good again.   Except Sandy, but that's just how his face looks.    

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I know it's a show but in real life, it's funny to me when I know or hear about a younger woman who was having an affair with an older man for money/fame.  And in the end, she gets nothing.  I've known a half-dozen women like that.  And read about dozens more.  It's not funny to me because they get nothing after sucking on old dick for a few years.  As long as it was consensual, I don't care.  It's funny because they don't realize during, or even after, that was part of the turn on for the guy.  It wasn't just the young ass, it was the plot to kick you to the curb down the road with nothing to show for it.  That's part of the eroticism for the man, knowing he holds all the cards including the ending one.  I suspect for Logan most of all.  

Which I think ties into some above comments.  Logan will throw one more monkey wrench into this with his Will.  No way a guy like that goes out with a single page letter in a safe and a video montage.  He's gonna fuck with his family, with Matsson, and America one last time.  I'm stoked.  But also saddened that it's over.  This started out as a bridge filler in the summer of 2018.  We grew to love and crave it during Covid seasons 1 & 2.  And now it's just a masterclass in satire.  

Though they are mostly attractive and young and well paid, I almost feel bad for this cast.   They will never be this good again.   Except Sandy, but that's just how his face looks.    

True, but the narcissist who would want to get with an old man for clout, money or fame (or all the above) generally is delusional enough to be making a bet on themselves. That they can make the old man fall in love and be irrational with his money and affairs and do something stupid like split with half his dough.

I mean, I just read today that Bezos is YET AGAIN getting marriedm this time to his gf of 5 years Mrs. Senorita lady I forgot her name. She bet on herself and she won. The guy has a $500mm yacht with a sculpted mermaid on the front to look like her. I mean...just because you are uber-wealthy doesn't mean you aren't a simp, I guess, and these women outchea.

Lucky for me I'll never be wealthy or attractive enough to have those struggles or single again, Lord willing.

Edited by HamsterHookah

Yeah, I guess there's just enough evidence to support women like Kerry/Kerri doing what they do that gives them hope.  But unlike most side pieces, she was actually capable, cunning, and a killer.  Not just some secretary or stripper.  But we all have our blind spots.  Theirs just cost a little more money.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

It's funny because they don't realize during, or even after, that was part of the turn on for the guy.  It wasn't just the young ass, it was the plot to kick you to the curb down the road with nothing to show for it.  That's part of the eroticism for the man, knowing he holds all the cards including the ending one. 

IMG_2649.gif.25c7942bb13f7ae11b685520adfe74a7.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

if some crazy shit goes down at the end of the finale, it really would be chef's kiss to hear a network anchor offscreen be like, "the gunman killed 6 people, including newly minted waystar ceo, gregory hirsch.  more, after the break", and as the camera pans over to the tv, we see that it was kerry speaking from the atn newsdesk.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

This is the second time you've used this gif and I'm confused by it. Is it denoting a positive or negative reaction? It seems like a "do no want" type response but doesn't make sense in the context. Why do you like it? Because it is vague?

He's getting off.  Don't you want to get off with him?  Just follow his lead and we can all get off together.

• Haha 1

I've learned the hard way you never, ever congratulate a woman on being pregnant until one of two things happens:
1.  She puts a hand on her belly and says, "I'm/We're Pregnant/Expecting!"  
2.  You see the baby crowning and she asks you to call an ambulance.  
It amazes me though, I can't go 15 minutes in public without somebody telling me they are vegan, in crossfit, from NY/LA, or refusing the vaccine because I said hello and my name.  But a pregnant woman can go 15 weeks without telling me and then get pissed off I didn't say "congrats" out of the clear  blue sky.  Better to be the guy who doesn't say a preemptive best wishes message by a dozen women than the guy who said, "So when's your due date" to a woman with no prospects for fertilization.  

One of our sales engineers actually did this at the office today. I couldn’t believe it.
  • Haha 1

This.  I don't know if the absence of people noticing was supposed to be some tacit script device like everybody is afraid to congratulate her because:
1.  What if it is the classic fuckup and she's not pregnant and just getting fat?  And she tears you a new asshole because she can. And it's yet another thing Shiv is uncomfortable with? 
2.  But surely the people that know her best, Tom and her brothers and even Willa and Greg and Marcia?  Wouldn't they pick up on it and say something out of support?  
I think that nobody said anything until the mean Mom suggests something.  But it's all over now, so we're left to the finale.  
I gotta get back to Greg's pretend ATN focus group...there's talk of keybumps.

Roman made a comment like “oh I just thought you’d been eating your feelings.” So he noticed.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

One of our sales engineers actually did this at the office today. I couldn’t believe it.

This could be like a more brutal female version of where you ask someone you’ve met 10 times for their name to show how unimportant they are.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:48 PM, F250 said:

Ken has done that several times throughout the show. He barked at Tom when Tom got a little too nasty with Shiv in last week's episode and almost got into it with Logan while defending Rome one time.

he also stood up for Greg when Mattson was laughing at him and giving him shit at the retreat.

Roman got me in the feels again this episode. i was way off when i said he was smarter than his siblings a few weeks ago (not as wrong as insisting Mattson's offer wasn't 'real' lol) but he's definitely the most...tender? vulnerable? sympathetic? i mean Logan (and Caroline) seriously  fucked up all the kids...but Roman seems to be the most damaged. Culkin is killing it...Strong and Macfadyen got their Emmys, i'll be rooting for Culkin next year. 

i like the notion of Mencken losing, Mattson getting the deal, then appointing Greg or Tom as puppet CEO and pushing all the sibs out. that seems like a very fitting ending. 

this show is easily top 3 ever for HBO, maybe top 2... the writing/dialogue for Deadwood may never be topped, but the sheer scale and scope of this one might just have surpassed The Sopranos for me. just incredible tv, i will really miss it ☹️

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

this show is easily top 3 ever for HBO, maybe top 2... the writing/dialogue for Deadwood may never be topped, but the sheer scale and scope of this one might just have surpassed The Sopranos for me. just incredible tv, i will really miss it ☹️

nah.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

6b7f2775478eebad927be1bd88074175cc229979

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

Actually, this is not a bad take. The Sopranos is an excellent show that also has enormous cultural significance and kicked off the long Golden Age of Television now coming to an end. But if you rewatch it with the benefit of all these other  one hourish prestige dramas it made possible it's still possible, but you aren't blown away by any of it, because that level of quality - writing, pacing, direction, production value, or just intelligence - it's something you can find on so many shows you can't watch them all.  The Sopranos is still probably the GOAT, purely on the basis of eyeballs and broad appeal, but you could make a good argument for a half dozen others* and Succession wind up at the bottom of that group depending on how good/bad the finale is. 

* According to me, the others are 
The Wire, Succession (with a great finale, otherwise it drops out), Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Americans, Fargo

Honorable Mention: Deadwood, The Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Russian Doll, Watchmen

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Actually, this is not a bad take. The Sopranos is an excellent show that also has enormous cultural significance and kicked off the long Golden Age of Television now coming to an end. But if you rewatch it with the benefit of all these other  one hourish prestige dramas it made possible it's still possible, but you aren't blown away by any of it, because that level of quality - writing, pacing, direction, production value, or just intelligence - it's something you can find on so many shows you can't watch them all.  The Sopranos is still probably the GOAT, purely on the basis of eyeballs and broad appeal, but you could make a good argument for a half dozen others* and Succession wind up at the bottom of that group depending on how good/bad the finale is. 

* According to me, the others are 
The Wire, Succession (with a great finale, otherwise it drops out), Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Americans, Fargo

Honorable Mention: Deadwood, The Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Russian Doll, Watchmen

Bolded weren’t HBO. 

Calling Succession a top 3 HBO show is not outlandish at all. I’m torn between it and Deadwood.  The Wire wins. I think this is better than the Sopranos and GoT. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sometimes it works out for the other woman if they play the long game and negotiate a good prenup.  

Suze Welch and Bezos' gal say hi.

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The Wire GIF

4 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

nah.gif

lol alright, everybody calm down, i said 'might' 😄 the finale will indeed be key. and yes i specified just HBO...Bozo's list includes BB and MM, both absolutely near the top as well...but Westworld doesn't even come close, come on 😋

also, GoT genre is not my jam...

and i never watched The Wire 😐giphy(1)(25).gif.252363722d53813093c993c52273e6d8.gif

Edited by mchookem
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1