Succession -- HBO

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

IMO, Logan doesn't give a fuck about Kendall (who has now betrayed him twice).  The hug etc was a means to an end.  It was closing the deal to get Kendall to back out.

Stewy?  He seems like a fun guy to hang with.  He also clearly can control his drug use, something that Kendall cannot do.

Yeah Logan doesn’t love Kendall. At least not nearly as much as his power/company. Icono you were fooled.  

Strongest indicator of what Logan is made of was the GC asking if he had told the other kids about what Kendall was up to, and his immediate instinct was, “is there an advantage to that?”  And she looked at him like, “no asshole, just the kinda thing dads do...”

On 8/7/2018 at 7:34 AM, Don Johnson said:

IMO, Logan doesn't give a fuck about Kendall (who has now betrayed him twice).  The hug etc was a means to an end.  It was closing the deal to get Kendall to back out.

Stewy?  He seems like a fun guy to hang with.  He also clearly can control his drug use, something that Kendall cannot do.

You would have thought stewy would have held Kendall down for the remainder of that night.  Did Kendall accomplish anything all season?   Seemed like every plan, every idea failed for him.  

On 8/7/2018 at 7:34 AM, Don Johnson said:

Stewy is private equity, man. He's everything to everyone. 

Just finished up over the weekend. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, Party_Taco said:

^^^ Absolutely agree on those points. The last 10 minutes were truly powerful.
Lots of subtext in the “you’re my boy” line.

Logan is a master manipulator, in that he’s hamstrung all those around them so that they’ll always be dependent on him in one way or another. He’s made them weak so that he can remain strong.

Above is the perfect take on the last episode (hell the entire season) Great show. 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

An entertaining yet maddening show. Kendall is a retarded character. It almost makes the show unwatchable. Dad is a totally unrealistic billionaire; however, Brian Cox is the only reason I’m watching. Culkin’s character and the sister’s husband are just slightly behind Kendall for retard characters. I’ll give this a few more episodes. 

Also there are literally no hot women in this show except for the whore Cameron is with and she’s merely attractive. Sis is not attractive. 

Image result for disagree gif

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm a huge Shiv fan. I'm glad she's in a bigger role this season. 

Agreed. 

And holy hell Kendall is such a moron. Strong plays that part perfectly the pauses and ums are so great, really well done and maddening at the same time.  

Edited by JimmyHoffa

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. 

And holy hell Kendall is such a moron. Strong plays that part perfectly the pauses and ums are so great, really well done and maddening at the same time.  

Yeah Strong is freaking amazing in this show.  Just an incredible performance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not reading this thread for fear of spoilers, but the wife and I are looking for a new show to start.  Is this the one?  I've heard good things about it.  Please quote me in your response so I can avoid reading other posts.  

I love it, very well written and actually very funny. 

And the part where the aliens came down and caused the earthquake was awesome! But not as badass as when the great grandfather took off his mask... and it was Abraham Lincoln! 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not reading this thread for fear of spoilers, but the wife and I are looking for a new show to start.  Is this the one?  I've heard good things about it.  Please quote me in your response so I can avoid reading other posts.  

It has flaws but the wealthy family dynamic is really well done and all though many probably think over the top it's probably not far off in a lot of cases. 

Good writing and very well acted, 1st season drags a little in the middle but the end of the season picks up. And Season's two premier last night picked up right where it left off. 

those Iceland shots at the beginning were beautiful.

Kendall is so weak and ineffective it's hard to imagine anyone rallying around him. 

Roman is so immature and dumb it's hard to imagine him in charge of anything higher than the mail room. (this part of the show bothers me the most. In reality, would he ever be any any position of power considering how he acts? Nepotism has it's limits).

Conner is Conner.. no one expects anything from him. (Plus, Connor's whore at the family meeting? and weighing in on fight or sell? that is a doozy! I was expecting Logan to say what the hell is she doing here?)

Shiv is clearly savvy and smart. She doesn't really know what she wants though.

Really like the show.

Edited by yoladu

It shows how much dear old dad cares about Kendall, less than 48 hours after being placed in a ritzy rehab center /spa in Iceland to get clean, he’s yanked out to go on TV to do a public about face. 

I also LOLed at the whore being at the table. And also agree that Roman is the least realistic character, or at least it’s silly to think such an immature asshole wouldn’t just be dispatched to simply spend money and stay out of the way, much like Connor.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I tend to find a lot of shows boring. But I love this show.  Best thing on TV right now. 

I worry that the buzz for this year will fade and ratings will go back to last year, when nobody watched it at all  - HBO viewership dropped about 75% from its lead-in (Westworld).  HBO quickly announced a second season after week 1 of the first season, but if ratings are in the same range this year I fear for its future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

Season 1 started off a little uneven, but it really takes off about halfway through and finishes VERY strong.  The first episode of season 2 that aired last night was also very good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

Kendall is so weak and ineffective it's hard to imagine anyone rallying around him. 

Roman is so immature and dumb it's hard to imagine him in charge of anything higher than the mail room. (this part of the show bothers me the most. In reality, would he ever be any any position of power considering how he acts? Nepotism has it's limits).

Conner is Conner.. no one expects anything from him. (Plus, Connor's whore at the family meeting? and weighing in on fight or sell? that is a doozy! I was expecting Logan to say what the hell is she doing here?)

Really like the show.

All of this-

just to add on Shiv- I don't think she realizes how smart she is, and a lot of it is a front to the very insecure person who is worried she will be judged if she makes the wrong decision. That point came across when she kept asking if they should cut the honeymoon short. She's scared shitless to do the wrong thing and is much happier in the back playing armchair QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

Really like the show.

I think that Logan is pretty generally contemptuous of his kids - I'm not sure about Siobhan, but the three boys are kind of worthless in his opinion. Letting Tom and Willa actually weigh in at the meeting kind of shows how little he thinks the other opinions matter.

He might not be, but I get the impression that he's totally playing Shiv.  "You're the successor, but don't tell anyone, and before you take over we have to bring you in and get you some experience first" is a great move.  It puts her in a difficult spot with regard to Gil's campaign against ATN and Waystar Royco - and he can always back out or even simply deny it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I think that Logan is pretty generally contemptuous of his kids - I'm not sure about Siobhan, but the three boys are kind of worthless in his opinion. Letting Tom and Willa actually weigh in at the meeting kind of shows how little he thinks the other opinions matter.

He might not be, but I get the impression that he's totally playing Shiv.  "You're the successor, but don't tell anyone, and before you take over we have to bring you in and get you some experience first" is a great move.  It puts her in a difficult spot with regard to Gil's campaign against ATN and Waystar Royco - and he can always back out or even simply deny it.

Totally agree. Logan wants her to bail on Gil's campaign

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

I think he's reserving the right to play Shiv.  He clearly can see that she is the smartest of his children.  Is she smart enough for him?  Probably not.  But possibly.  And getting her in the company gets her off the campaign.

But I'm sure he'll fuck her over in some way.  It's what he does and people don't change.

Good start to the season.  Minor nitpick, the one miss to me was the line "my lawyer used to work for the Justice Department."  Maybe it's because I live in DC, but DOJ lawyers are everywhere here and aren't necessarily better than law firm lawyers.  It's not unimpressive, but a guy like Logan Roy would have said "my lawyer used to run the Justice Department," i.e. is a former attorney general. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Good start to the season.  Minor nitpick, the one miss to me was the line "my lawyer used to work for the Justice Department."  Maybe it's because I live in DC, but DOJ lawyers are everywhere here and aren't necessarily better than law firm lawyers.  It's not unimpressive, but a guy like Logan Roy would have said "my lawyer used to run the Justice Department," i.e. is a former attorney general. 

True, but also consider who he's saying it to.

The local contractor guy isn't going to get that nuance. He's just going to hear "my lawyer used to work for the Justice Department" and shit his pants.

The characters (except for Roman) and dialogue in this show are so fucking good. Like the character development of Tom and Shiv so far. She is the smartest one in the room. Tom cracks me the fuck up with his dry humor and pure WASPY-ness which he completely owns.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

24 minutes ago, RPM said:

There's not a character on this show I don't hate.

Seriously, WTF? Kendall comes off at times as a douche when he uses a word like “imperial” and other buzzwords but then they make him sympathetic as an addict under the thumb of his father. Tom and Shiv’s relationship is having depth added to it. Connor is an object of derision that we can mock like Fredo in The Godfather. Roman adds nothing. This is my favorite show on TV. Smart, dry humor with sophistication. Makes me miss NY a lot too.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Seriously, WTF?

I think you misunderstood me. The actors are great. The characters are self absorbed, unlikable douchebags. Their goal is to fuck somebody over. Anybody. Even the likable character is so spineless he'll do bad things just so the other characters will allow him to be around. It's a good show, but I hate every character.

9 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

"You should try swallowing something" 

Fucking lulz. 

Did Shiv fuck up?  I think she fucked up. 

She was supposed to keep all her options open for as long as possible, especially given that Logan fucked Kendall in like episode 1 of this whole thing. Quitting/getting fired from the campaign that may win the presidency destroys her options and now she’s 100% owned by her dad - just as he wanted. 

Poor Kendall stealing batteries was looking for one thing he could control. He’s Reek now and his brother helped cut his dick off. 

10 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

"You should try swallowing something" 

Fucking lulz. 

Did Shiv fuck up?  I think she fucked up. 

She definitely fucked up.

And last night's episode was a master class in how Logan knows exactly how to manipulate his kids and get them to use their strengths against others (including each other) to the ultimate benefit of Logan. Just brilliant writing.

yeah, Logan created a shit sandwich for the sole purpose of seeing if Kendall would dutifully eat it.

Shiv fucked up.. what happened to keeping all the plates spinning?

"You should try swallowing something"  - what was up with that?!

Roman's whole scene of self-doubt with his girlfriend (i think it was at the Connor hotel room warming) was classic... "maybe i'm smart?" " you did a thing" "mazel tov"

Tom's meeting with the head of ATN went about as you would expect - brutal. I wonder if there is any self-realization in Tom at all. 

Sticking it to Lawrence was a bit satisfying surprisingly. He arrogantly thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

Edited by yoladu

47 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Tom's meeting with the head of ATN went about as you would expect - brutal. I wonder if there is any self-realization in Tom at all. 

Tom continues to be the most fascinating character on the show to me.  

His total personality swings based on who he's in the room with is almost sociopath level stuff.

• Like 2