What have you done with all of your old CD's?

C-Man

I’m an audiophile, I keep everything. Besides CD’s, I have a nice collection of albums, cassettes, 8-tracks and both 4” and 10.5” tape. 
They all sound very different to me. Though I understand few others would  bother to care. 

You might be an audiophile, but you’re also a hoarder.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rip76 said:

I regret nothing also….

4FA4950A-3CA4-4EA6-B753-E65480E16F00.jpeg

gives my ocd so many fucking triggers.  aside from just stacking them like that, how are you going to have the magnolia soundtrack, moody blues, reo speedwagon, dave matthews, dreams of country, and wes montgomery all touching each other in a row?  you have an reo speedwagon double album in the left most column and another reo in the right-most column.  you've got led all over the fucking place.  important shit man. 

but more importantly, wtf is "mullets rock!?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

mp3’s suck and if that’s your preferred method of listening to music then you either don’t really like music or just have a tin ear.

Tin ear. who knew standing 1 ft in front of the Marshall stack in the 80s and 90s would do so much damage?

oh, I knew.. I was just young and didn't care.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Tin ear. who knew standing 1 ft in front of the Marshall stack in the 80s and 90s would do so much damage?

I have hearing damage in both ears from shooting guns. 

It sucks. 

I also have hundreds and hundreds of CD’s I haven’t listened to in over a decade (I think I did the Columbia House buy 1 get 12 for free a bunch of different times) but I can’t get rid of any of them or there would be a huge empty space in the closet next to the hundreds of cassette tapes I never listen to.  Sadly, I have about a dozen 8 tracks from the 1970’s that were my parents that I have in a box and won’t get rid of for some reason.  Maybe my wife calling me a hoarder is actually correct. 

4 hours ago, sidis said:

gives my ocd so many fucking triggers.  aside from just stacking them like that, how are you going to have the magnolia soundtrack, moody blues, reo speedwagon, dave matthews, dreams of country, and wes montgomery all touching each other in a row?  you have an reo speedwagon double album in the left most column and another reo in the right-most column.  you've got led all over the fucking place.  important shit man. 

but more importantly, wtf is "mullets rock!?"

Not to mention this:

25F962F9-05C7-46C1-9386-CEBB82817448.jpeg.214c8fd40cd3080ab6d621f0ee314fd5.jpeg

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

Man, I remember my ears ringing as I lied in my bed after seeing my first concerts back in the early 80’s. I didn’t even have good seats. (First concert: Rush - Signals tour, Notre Dame, 1982.)

My hearing isn’t as good as it used to be. And I have a large collection of mp3’s, but not for insistent listening. (Is that a phrase?) I’ve got the Billboard Top 100 hits from the mid 60’s to the late 80’s on disc and we used to put those on shuffle on a laptop as background music during our weekly poker game. It’s fun for all the one hit wonders but I could never listen to them as an activity all by itself.

I can still discern dynamic range and still have an appreciation for the low end of the audio spectrum. Maintaining a turntable and a vinyl collection is more than I care to do. CD’s are the next best option. And I have sources and software to get all sorts of benefits from 16-bit CD quality audio. (Maybe someday 24-bit DVD quality audio will be the norm but as long as there’s money to made from people who are satisfied with lossy compression, like simpletons who can’t tell the difference between a CD played on a stereo and a song streamed on Spotify, then that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.)

Heres an example. You can stream this. But you won’t get it. If you played the CD with a decent stereo system with decent speakers, your whole house would shake.

Mickey Hart on the “Beam.” (Drummer for the Dead, he also scored the soundtrack for the volcano display at The Mirage in Vegas.)

Aw, what the hell.

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I also have hundreds and hundreds of CD’s I haven’t listened to in over a decade (I think I did the Columbia House buy 1 get 12 for free a bunch of different times) but I can’t get rid of any of them or there would be a huge empty space in the closet next to the hundreds of cassette tapes I never listen to.  Sadly, I have about a dozen 8 tracks from the 1970’s that were my parents that I have in a box and won’t get rid of for some reason.  Maybe my wife calling me a hoarder is actually correct. 

I own B.B. King’s “King of the Blues” boxed set because I joined the club under an offer to a previous resident of an apartment I once lived in. It’s awesome. My roommate and I mailed in our requests, they were only partially filled, we were told that we’d have to pay something before the rest of the order would be fulfilled. We left it at that. I don’t remember what else I got but that’s four discs of greatness. I wasn’t familiar with his early work. It kicks ass. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I have hearing damage in both ears from shooting guns. 

It sucks. 

Holy smokes, I need to read to the end of the thread, but I find it hilarious that you shame others as not being able to tell Spotify from CD and then you tell us you have hearing damage.  Might want to sit this out.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

I doubt most of you could tell the difference between the very high quality setting on Spotify and a CD played through the same speakers. 

sorry kid, you could not be more wrong on this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2022 at 10:51 AM, Buzzrock said:

You might be an audiophile, but you’re also a hoarder.

Buzz, I am a collector of musical history. A collection that spans almost 7 decades, and subsequently became the soundtrack of my life.

It includes all forms of musical media, as well as original art work, sculpture, photographs, vintage audio, and if you ask me, some really fucking nice instruments.

You would salivate if I let you get anywhere near it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Buzz, I am a collector of musical history. A collection that spans almost 7 decades, and subsequently became the soundtrack of my life.
It includes all forms of musical media, as well as original art work, sculpture, photographs, vintage audio, and if you ask me, some really fucking nice instruments.

This post would go better with pics.

I’ve always wanted a jukebox filled with the best 78s but then I’d probably have to spend my time keeping it up.

Always wanted a gramophone of some sort as well.

Mainly I just have my grandmas old Crosley American Overseas radio sitting on top of my CD cabinet. No lie.

I moved all of my live KVHW discs (there are only live KVHW discs...they never recorded in a studio) from jewel cases to a big DiscLogic folder. The result was that I listened to them less. I need to put them all back in jewel cases.

Btw, they were a perfect jam band and you can find high quality CD audio recordings of all their shows at archive.org for free. Just download them and burn away providing that you know how to decompress SHN or FLAC files. They let tapers actually put their microphones on the stage. The audio quality is amazing.  

2 hours ago, TexPx said:

ac9ed44f44cc4797d11be7daa97f7331.jpg

403a5b69475f7736eda26a73cec05ee0.jpg
These work for me. CDs are also ripped to a hard drive. I have a dedicated listening room, no TV just audio equipment and seating. For serious listening it’s always CD or LP.

that looks pretty sweet.  nice work.  i would miss the inserts and liner notes myself with your system but that is solid.  the only question i have is what in the world electronica do you have in the same grouping as chet?  rolling along with chet, charlie parker, miles, coltrane, and then boards of canada, massive attack, and oakenfold?

that looks pretty sweet.  nice work.  i would miss the inserts and liner notes myself with your system but that is solid.  the only question i have is what in the world electronica do you have in the same grouping as chet?  rolling along with chet, charlie parker, miles, coltrane, and then boards of canada, massive attack, and oakenfold?

I keep the inserts in a separate box. Most of my Jazz is LPs and I don’t have a ton of electronica CDs so I combined them. There are 80 CDs in that box. I have a spreadsheet that notes box and position.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This post would go better with pics.

I’ve always wanted a jukebox filled with the best 78s but then I’d probably have to spend my time keeping it up.

Always wanted a gramophone of some sort as well.

Mainly I just have my grandmas old Crosley American Overseas radio sitting on top of my CD cabinet. No lie.

Which model Crosley?

I had about 2,500, and I've divided them into 3 categories: 1) those i can sell on discogs for at least $10; 2) those I'm keeping, and 3) those i don't want and can't get much for. 

I've sold about 500 on discogs, and some have gone for over $100 (first pressings of thrash/death metal). The last category got boxed up and sold en masse to the Book Nook (similar to Half Price Books) for about $0 75 each.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:35 AM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I’m sure it’s impressive. I’ve been to so many shows that there’s zero chance my ears can tell the difference between Spotify and anything else. 

Man you should really start a thread. People would appreciate it I think.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wow, that is a much nicer than mine. A little before my time though. Most people have no idea of their history.

I have a JT4 (55?). I got mine while we were stationed in Kegnew Station (Ethiopia) in the early 60’s. Supply Sargent would pass them out to military dependents. Man, that was one fucked up place to live.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me give that some thought. I wouldn’t want it to come across as ostentatious. 

If it’s cool shit it’s cool shit. Maybe the thread title could just be cool shit you’ve collected/accumulated over the years. Other would join in.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Evidently my weekend post didn't work so well.  Let me try again:

Martin_Crosley_66TC_(1946)_nr2.jpg

That’s what I’m talking about!

Hey, I dig that modern equipment is technically better. But, there is something special about listening to a broadcast over such a radio. I’m sure it has to do with nostalgia on my part…

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

That’s what I’m talking about!

Hey, I dig that modern equipment is technically better. But, there is something special about listening to a broadcast over such a radio. I’m sure it has to do with nostalgia on my part…

It's primarily nostalgia on my part.  First, I love art deco and mid century design.  Second, this was my grandmothers and I remember her using it.  Lastly, it still cranks up and works, but I rarely do so.  Sometimes if the Mrs. is away I'll put it on and listen to a ball game.  I have a couple old Philco 14Bs that I liberated from my grandparents before they sold their farmhouse.  They're in a bit rough shape, but I'd like to get them redone eventually.  

gallery_00.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:20 AM, TexPx said:

These work for me. CDs are also ripped to a hard drive. I have a dedicated listening room, no TV just audio equipment and seating. For serious listening it’s always CD or LP.

You got a make/model on these? Looks like a nice, clean solution.

Edit: I see HIPCE (?) in the lower left corner. I'm assuming that's the manufacturer.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
Look at the picture, dumbass.

Back in the summer of 2010, I took every CD I had (400 or so) and my wife's collection of a couple hundred and spent weeks ripping every single disc on my MacBook Pro.  Insert disc, rip to lossless, tag with Metadatics (highly recommended if you want to do this).  Rinse, repeat.

Once that was done, I copied all of the files to a few external drives.

When Apple released iTunes Match, you could upload all your music and make it available on any Apple device you owned.  Think of it as your own personal streaming library at that point.  For $25 a year, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, it's a decent deal.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

You got a make/model on these? Looks like a nice, clean solution.
Edit: I see HIPCE (?) in the lower left corner. I'm assuming that's the manufacturer.

Yes. Got mine at the Container Store. Had them on Amazon for a while but haven’t looked lately.

It's primarily nostalgia on my part.  First, I love art deco and mid century design.  Second, this was my grandmothers and I remember her using it.  Lastly, it still cranks up and works, but I rarely do so.  Sometimes if the Mrs. is away I'll put it on and listen to a ball game.  I have a couple old Philco 14Bs that I liberated from my grandparents before they sold their farmhouse.  They're in a bit rough shape, but I'd like to get them redone eventually.  
gallery_00.jpg

7d760ecf49b7962bcf5f862945c7aa47.jpg
bd0dd40dbbbec8b3e01cad68b83c5732.jpg
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, TexPx said:

EB was such a cutie back then. 

On 6/28/2022 at 6:03 PM, yoladu said:

Ha… so one of the best things I ever did for myself was start wearing ear plugs to live music shows in my mid/late 20s. I did so after one particularly loud concert at Cain’s when it felt like my ears were ringing for two days. It kind of scared me so I started wearing them… yes all of my friends made fun of me but I didn’t give a shit.

And now, 20 years later after attending countless live music shows at clubs and concerts at all kinds of venues big and small, my hearing is still pretty much intact. I’m sure I have some hearing loss just from loving loud music for so long, but it’s nothing that I notice and I’m sure it would be WAY worse had I not started wearing ear plugs to shows way back then.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Back in the summer of 2010, I took every CD I had (400 or so) and my wife's collection of a couple hundred and spent weeks ripping every single disc on my MacBook Pro.  Insert disc, rip to lossless, tag with Metadatics (highly recommended if you want to do this).  Rinse, repeat.

Once that was done, I copied all of the files to a few external drives.

When Apple released iTunes Match, you could upload all your music and make it available on any Apple device you owned.  Think of it as your own personal streaming library at that point.  For $25 a year, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, it's a decent deal.

I hope it really was lossless. Maybe it was lossless when you extracted it, but is it when you stream it? I’d bet against that.

What did you do with your discs? Did you digitize the liner notes?

I’m not going to pay someone to listen to my own music collection. At $25/yr, you’re getting close to paying as much to listen to your own CD collection as you did to purchase it in the first place.

And what if you want to listen to your music on a boom box on your or a friend’s patio while you’re cooking out? Can you do that?

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I hope it really was lossless. Maybe it was lossless when you extracted it, but is it when you stream it? I’d bet against that.

What did you do with your discs? Did you digitize the liner notes?

I’m not going to pay someone to listen to my own music collection. At $25/yr, you’re getting close to paying as much to listen to your own CD collection as you did to purchase it in the first place.

And what if you want to listen to your music on a boom box on your or a friend’s patio while you’re cooking out? Can you do that?

The rips are lossless, sure.  But whatever comes down from Apple is in whatever format you want, within reason.  For instance, if you upload a song of yours that Apple cannot match because they don't have the rights to it, or it's some rare or live version of a song, you will get back 256 AAC or MP3 of it.

But if it is a song that Apple has on hand already, you can get it back in whatever format you desire (except FLAC):

iTunes Match supports all the same audio formats as Apple Music: AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. Bear in mind that non-matched songs are automatically converted into 256Kbps AAC. For instance, if some of your higher-quality MP3s are in 320 kbps, iTunes Match will transcode those to 256 kbps AAC before uploading.

The rips are put away, so I have a few copies of lossless music that has never been tainted by Apple.  I'm using iTunes Match for the sheer ease of use and flexibility it gives me.  Whatever Apple device I have my hands on at the moment (I have several) has my library on hand, so I don't need to plug the phone, iPod, iPad, Mac or whatever and get music onto it. That's what the $25 a year is for; convenience.  As for liner notes and the physical discs themselves, yep, we still have them on hand, boxed up.  I never digitized the liner notes.

Of course, once you get the song onto your device, if you are using bluetooth for a playback option, you are losing lossless anyway (at least in the Apple world) for the time being.  

Last, if I'm at someone's house with my iPhone, and wanted to playback music to their device, that is easy enough.  You can either send it via bluetooth, AirPlay, or a wired connection.

I'll never get into a lossless argument on one format vs another.  My ears aren't sensitive enough to discern the difference between FLAC or ALAC, or whatnot.  If it is a song I know very well, then sure, I probably can tell on a lower bit encoded version vs lossless.  And I can easily tell how compressed audio is on Sirius XM, for example.  I just recommend that before anyone starts what I've described, have a FLAC backup or two of your music somewhere besides your computer.