HBO's House of the Dragon - BOOKFAGS THREAD

NorthLoop

15 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Noticed some of the illiterati talking about a dragon showdown with Aemond and Daemon. Is it that obvious? 

Also this is how I imagine MNLonghorn watches TV.... actually how I imagine him going through his entire life

jfr5kcquqxw51.gif

The brief standoff (and it wasn't much of a standoff, at that) between Aemond and Daemon following that wholesome, loving family dinner that Viserys arranged, seems to have been taken by everyone as foreshadowing a showdown between them, and it's natural to guess that would happen astride dragons, I suppose.

I think the show is “setting straight” the accounts from the book. Fire and Blood is essentially a collection of accounts of historical events, with very little first hand knowledge.  But I agree, it was odd to frame Aemond’s actions in the air an accident when we all know he had bad intentions with Luke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, Yev Kassem said:

I think the show is “setting straight” the accounts from the book. Fire and Blood is essentially a collection of accounts of historical events, with very little first hand knowledge.  But I agree, it was odd to frame Aemond’s actions in the air an accident when we all know he had bad intentions with Luke. 

He might've had bad intentions but that doesn't mean he wanted to kill him or was foolish enough to do so.

It's also understandable that no one on the ground could have known what actually went on up in the air, so via the show we're just finding out Aemond didn't really intend to kill him and the two kids just lost control of their dragons, the outcome of which was pretty damned important.

It's not really a change to the story, it's what actually happened.

I don't understand some of the changes to the story. Why introduce reluctance when there wasn't any in the book?

I kind of like it. The source material really doesn’t go into the characters motivation too much so the show runners have free rein to fill in the blanks. Kind of cool. The Laenor “death” was really surprising, but everybody who knew about it wasn’t talking. I’m digging it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree that Aemond didn’t mean to murder Lucerys but it’s still his fault and I don’t think it changes anything from the book.

Aemond has three choices when he returns to King’s Landing -

1 - Lie and completely deny he had anything to do with Luke’s death.

2 - Tell the truth - he killed him but he didn’t intend to and confirm it was an accident.

3 - Lie and claim the kill as intentional and brag about loud and proud and let the story spread to inspire fear.

Number one won’t work - too many witnesses from Storm’s End and Borros Baratheon will completely tell anyone who will listen what happened to save his own ass.

Number two might work but he’ll be seen as incompetent by everyone on Team Green and Team Black won’t care that he says it was accidental - they won’t believe him and they’ll still be coming for his head.

So, that leaves three. Aemond will still be Enemy Number One for Team Black, Otto and Alicent will still be furious. But this option will allow him to keep his pride and won’t expose his failure.

And thus, we end up with the “true” history from the Maester, the Septon, and Mushroom - Aemond and Vhagar murdered Lucerys and Arrax over Shipbreaker Bay.

As for Blood & Cheese, I think they’ll absolutely do it and I think it will be in episode one of season two.

I think they’ll change it up a bit.

Mysaria will probably find out Larys - on Alicent’s approval - was responsible for burning down her home. And she probably lost people important to her in the fire. She’ll come to Daemon and offer her services. I don’t know if they’ll have Daemon explicitly ask for the murder of Aegon and Helaena’s son or if he’ll want Aemond or Aegon’s head when he says “A son for a son”.

(Daemon is the only character the writers have attributed bad acts to that weren’t confirmed in F&B - Rhea’s murder, strangling Rhaenerya - and they’ve softened everyone else.)

Rhaenerya definitely won’t be in on it.

I’m leaning towards Daemon wanting Aemond dead and asking Mysaria to carry out the deed. Mysaria hires Blood and Cheese and tells them that Aemond is the target but if they can’t get him, then murder any Hightower son or grandson they can find.

I can’t wait for season two! I wonder if they’ll end it with Rook’s Rest?

That, Battle of the Gullet and - of course - Battle Above the God’s Eye are going to be awesome.

I’m also curious to see what they choose as the end. I’m thinking The Hour of the Wolf and the marriage of Aegon III and Jaehaera and their ascension to the Iron Throne.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

The rumor mill says -

-Jon Snow sequel
-HotD will be an anthology series, so after The Dance of the Dragons story is done, we could see Blackfyre Rebellion, Dunk & Egg, Aegon’s Conquest, Maegor the Cruel etc.

Yikes on the Jon Snow sequel. 

Oh very much hell yes on the anthology angle. 

• 4 weeks later...

just finished the book so i was an illiterati when i watched hotd. loved the book, i liked it better than the last 2 fire and ice ones.  the pacing and style is similar to dan jones's The Plantagenets, which is one of my favorites in any genre.  

why did the show make daemon kill rhea?  was it just to condense the timeline?  was it to add a more evil dimension to complicate his character?  

i wish the show had stuck to the book's descriptions of the characters (velaryons looking like targs and not black, rhaenys looking like a baratheon instead of a targ, etc).  it makes the gold/silver haired and purple eyed children of the next couple generations more important if they decide to show those events.  

i'd love to see a 3 part documentary starting from the conquest going through jaeharys's reign.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

just finished the book so i was an illiterati when i watched hotd. loved the book, i liked it better than the last 2 fire and ice ones.  the pacing and style is similar to dan jones's The Plantagenets, which is one of my favorites in any genre.  

why did the show make daemon kill rhea?  was it just to condense the timeline?  was it to add a more evil dimension to complicate his character?  

i wish the show had stuck to the book's descriptions of the characters (velaryons looking like targs and not black, rhaenys looking like a baratheon instead of a targ, etc).  it makes the gold/silver haired and purple eyed children of the next couple generations more important if they decide to show those events.  

i'd love to see a 3 part documentary starting from the conquest going through jaeharys's reign.  

Regarding Rhea, as far as the book is concerned, all we know is that she died from a riding accident, right?  

In that sense, the show didn't "make him" kill her, it just revealed what actually happened.  Everything in the book is from unreliable narrators.

• Hook 'Em 1

Regarding Rhea, as far as the book is concerned, all we know is that she died from a riding accident, right?  
In that sense, the show didn't "make him" kill her, it just revealed what actually happened.  Everything in the book is from unreliable narrators.
The book says she fell off her horse and hit her head, was in bed for like a week, then felt well enough to walk around but after an hour of that she fell over and died. And this entire time daemon is in the stepstones.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had to abandon the history book.

I read two of the knight to the seven kingdoms books and they're almost like young adult reading. This is pretty shocking to me after the stellar imagination and quality of story telling in the Game of Thrones books. 

I think I bought the first four GOTR books in a package deal at Costco for like $25. I read them all back to back and still consider that easily the best bang for the buck purchase I've ever made. A lot of my life was horrible at the time. Getting lost in those novels was such a profound pleasure.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2022 at 12:58 AM, RomaVicta said:

I had to abandon the history book.

I read two of the knight to the seven kingdoms books and they're almost like young adult reading. This is pretty shocking to me after the stellar imagination and quality of story telling in the Game of Thrones books. 

I think I bought the first four GOTR books in a package deal at Costco for like $25. I read them all back to back and still consider that easily the best bang for the buck purchase I've ever made. A lot of my life was horrible at the time. Getting lost in those novels was such a profound pleasure.

Yeah, Fire & Blood is a textbook. I enjoyed it, but ASOIAF Books 1-5 are much better. Hell , the Winds of Winter sample chapters are much better. 

I’ll stick with A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms because it’s an audiobook, and I’m stuck at work. But yes, Dunk and Egg is some TV-Y7 type shit. HBO will have their work cut out for them spicing it up for premium cable television. 

Brief thoughts of the show after knocking out Fire & Blood: 

- I liked Season 1. Good cast.

- One of the big complaints in the illiterati thread is the show isn’t funny/doesn’t have a Tyrion or a Bronn. Uhh, what in the text is funny about a family civil war that almost eliminates a two ancient bloodlines and drives the dragons into extinction is funny? Season 1 was pretty humorless and there’s nowhere else to go but darker. 

- That said, Mushroom HAS to be on the show. His casting will be interesting. I think he’s the only glimmer of hope for comic relief. 

- I think they have to do Blood and Cheese in Episode 1 or 2 of Season 2 . The illiterati will freak the f*** out like the Red Wedding. I’d like to be surprised, qand not see it coming. Game on HBO. 

- I hope we get a season story arc with Cregan Stark/Jace/Sara Snow. GRRM is treating the show like settled fact, so it’ll be nice to see Jace and Sara actually wed and if Jace left a clutch of dragon eggs at Winterfell. Pretty cool to think about.