Elvis

Kel Varnsen

Anybody else go see this? I thought it was ok. Austin Butler does a pretty good job portraying the King, but has very little dialogue. It's mostly him performing. It was mainly about Col. Parker screwing Elvis over and basically killing him. It was a typical Baz Luhrmann flick with bright colors and fast paced. I felt like it was more of a montage than a full story. It did make me wish I would have been old enough to catch a live performance.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anybody else go see this? I thought it was ok. Austin Butler does a pretty good job portraying the King, but has very little dialogue. It's mostly him performing. It was mainly about Col. Parker screwing Elvis over and basically killing him. It was a typical Baz Luhrmann flick with bright colors and fast paced. I felt like it was more of a montage than a full story. It did make me wish I would have been old enough to catch a live performance.

I want to see it. I grew up a misplaced Texan in Memphis and knew a lot of these guys, and knew many of his session guys. My mother worked at Memphis Aero and could attest to the slow pay issues of the business side as she had to call Vernon all the time to get paid for services for the Lisa Marie. Parker sucked him dry.

I love Elvis preArmy along with all the Sun Records guys, and he had a chance with the black leather segment of the 68 special to stay true to his roots.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Movie was great.

it was every bit as depressing at the end that I thought it'd be.  

Long ass movie and I never got remotely bored or sleepy, and I will nod off like a mofo if it sucks or gets slow.

Saw it with the wife on Friday afternoon. I liked it a little better than my wife did, but neither one of us loved it. Baz Luhrman is a one trick pony and keeps making the same movie visually over and over. Austin Butler was a great Elvis and the movie should have focused more on him. I thought it was more of a Col Tom Parker movie than an Elvis movie. That said, the performance scenes were great.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very Hollywood. He didn’t fire him on stage and trouble didn’t get recorded till king Creole. Although my favorite part of the movie was when he got up on stage and sang trouble and they shipped his ass to the army. A lot that didn’t happen in this movie but I still really enjoyed it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 2:34 PM, Pokoloco said:

Did women really spontaneously orgasm when he "wiggled"?

Are you asking if women in the 1950's were expressive enough about their sexual experiences to be accurately recorded by tabloids?

Or if men in the 1950's who claimed such things were fairly ignorant about what made a woman orgasm (or what a female orgasm even was)?

Don't believe the hype.

• Hook 'Em 1

Elvis in person (before too many fried pb and nanner sammiches and pills) was a powerful musical experience. This film captured it. “Col.” Parker Van Flugelhorn needed to be in it. It is worthwhile viewing for anyone who appreciates music, especially rock and roll. What a fuckin voice.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Walk the Line", followed by "Walk Hard" makes for a great double feature. 

Followed by Interracial Hole Stretchers 6 and you have yourself a perfect evening…

I made it through five minutes and quit. I was waiting to see a Biopic and got a cross between Moulin Rouge, Chicago and Cabaret. Just awful…

On 8/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, RPM said:

My only complaint was they went too far with the fat Elvis makeup. Didn't remotely look like him. Then I realized that was actual fat Elvis.

I really liked the movie and thought Butler did a fantastic job recreating an iconic figure where everyone knows the face and the voice and he’s close enough that the differences don’t take you out of the film.  Toward the end, the Vegas concert video I was starting to think that they didn’t fatten him enough until the 1977 last concert video where they really nailed it. I didn’t realize until after the fact that it was actual footage.  Very sad what was done to him and by him to look that terrible at 42.  Even cutting notes short at the piano because he didn’t have the lungs to sustain, his voice was still beautiful. 

I agree with the style of the movie being a bit off putting for some and distracting and that it went a little long. I don’t necessarily have a problem with the license that the direct took with facts and events but wondered if they didn’t try to weave too much social commentary and make Elvis out to be more of a social activist than he really was (with respect to the MLK and Bobby Kennedy shooting; not his embracing of the blues and black artists in his youth).  Maybe he was.  I thought it was pretty darn good overall   

• Hook 'Em 1

It was meh. That's as nice as I will be about it. 

Complete utter garbage.

Hanks gutted this movie. He sounded like a Danish guy living on a Louisiana sugar plantation. Just a bizarre choice. I guess Hanks fired the voice coach and never looked back. 

Sucked shit

Felt like it had way too many acts

Pretty much all this. It’s the first of the big musician movies over the last 20 years I didn’t really care for.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:37 AM, crash_davis said:

Finally saw it. Why the fuck did Baz tell the story of Elvis from the perspective of the asshole manager? He's the antagonist in the story. By the end of the movie, I was disgusted every time Hanks was onscreen. That definitely led to my not really liking the movie.

tumblr_inline_navimpCs0o1rahabv.gif&f=1&

Fucking A. Also, how does Elvis have the fewest lines in a movie titled Elvis

• Hook 'Em 1

Just my thoughts, I'm glad it ended when it did.  I wouldn't have wanted to see it get any darker with what was an American icon.  A lot of people women and men revered Elvis.  Factually, it good enough for me.  Just too damn bad, E couldn't away from that leech.  He may still be with us today.  By the way, if ya' like Elvis impersonators go see Donny Edwards if you get the chance.  Recommended.  He's from Lake Jackson and occasionally has shows over at The Clarion, when he's back in town.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

• 2 weeks later...

I guess an A for effort from director BL.  Overall a D just because jesus christ give me a break.

The That's All Right rehearsal/concert scene in Vegas was worth the whole movie though.  Great recreation and had great energy.

I'll chalk up Hanks being unwatchable to the the Col being so off-putting. 

Listening to Keith Richard's Life on Audio.  He really loved Scotty Moore.

With regards to Tom Hanks’ performance I was about to say that perhaps Colonel Tom Parker actually sounded like Goldmember.  Maybe In real life his voice sounded like a caricature…. But I guess not.  Here is a video of an interview from 87 where his accent sounds a little hillbilly but not at all foreign.  
The performance by Hanks didnt bother me.  It’s just the artistic license that they took with a lot of the facts of his life.  

https://www.elvis.com.au/coloneltomparker/

i enjoyed the early Elvis scenes and his time with the brothers.

Good movie- Great music.

Makes me want to catch an Orville Peck show  - or catch a Elvis tribute show.

Austin B wasn't bad- i liked him in the shannara chronicles. i wish they made a season 3 and beyond (  ivana baquero is a baddie )

i didn't know Austin was bangin Vanessa Hudgens, shes a baddie too.

I guess an A for effort from director BL.  Overall a D just because jesus christ give me a break.
The That's All Right rehearsal/concert scene in Vegas was worth the whole movie though.  Great recreation and had great energy.
I'll chalk up Hanks being unwatchable to the the Col being so off-putting. 

Listening to Keith Richard's Life on Audio.  He really loved Scotty Moore.

The band I managed in college opened for Billy Burnette when he came to Memphis around 80-81. This was before he joined Fleetwood Mac. His father was Dorsey Burnette of the Rock and Roll Trio, along with Johnny Burnette and legendary guitarist Paul Burleson.

After our set we got a booth to watch Billy’s show. He was doing a really strong neo-rockabilly thing. A girl came over and asked if we could be introduced to someone. Scotty Moore, Paul Burleson, and James Burton were at the table. Three iconic Memphis guitarists who invented shit, wanted to meet the band. Our guitar player to this day I believe has yet to wash his right hand. Holy cow what a rush.

• Hook 'Em 5

I can understand why some of you don’t like it. I for one liked hell out of it. Never heard Tom Van Dingleberry Parker’s voice, so I took Tom Hanks’ version with a strong shaker of salt. All Elvis needed was a half decent lawyer and Parker never would have tapewormed himself into Elvis’ heart and soul and dominated his career. Maybe it’s because I grew up listening to his music. The man influenced popular music in a huge way and his charisma is unmatched (no homo).

In 2004, I visited Ringo Starr’s childhood home in Liverpool and met his little old auntie who lives there. The front room id just as it was when Ringo first played with the Beatles. Over the mantel were four 8x10 framed color photos of the Fab Four. Above them was a larger color photo of Elvis circa 1956. I asked auntie why Elvis was up there above the Beatles. She didn’t hesitate: “Well, they all loved Elvis, didden they?”

Mrs. Llama says he’s still around, living incognito as it were. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

i didn't know Austin was bangin Vanessa Hudgens, shes a baddie too.

That was a while back; he's dating Kaia Gerber now - Cindy Crawford's daughter. She's a dead ringer for her mom.

I thought Austin Butler was fantastic, and I hated Tom Hanks as much as I loved AB. Probably because his character was horrible, and whether or not Hanks' accent was actually what Parker sounded like is moo because either way it was terribly grating.

• 3 months later...