The United States of America is a shithole nation: a gallery

Longhorn_Fan68

Six Texas oil refineries spewing cancer-causing pollutant above federal threshold

The Texas refinery that reported the highest concentrations of the hazardous pollutant at its fence line was Total Port Arthur Refinery in Port Arthur, with levels 148% greater than limit, according to the report.
The other Texas refineries that reported benzene levels above the federal action limit are:
  • Pasadena Refining (100% above the limit)
  • Flint Hills Resources Corpus Christi East (79% above limit)
  • Valero Corpus Christi East (44% above limit)
  • Shell Deer Park (23% above limit)
  • Marathon Galveston Bay Texas City (11% above limit)

Benzene, a highly flammable gas with a sweet odor, has been classified as a known human carcinogen by EPA "for all routes of exposure," according to the agency. Short-term exposure to the chemical may cause drowsiness, dizziness and headaches, as well eye, skin and respiratory irritation and even unconsciousness. Long-term exposure among workers has been linked to increased incidence of leukemia and blood disorders. Women who have inhaled benzene at high levels have reported adverse impacts to their reproductive systems, and adverse impacts to fetal development have been observed in animal testing.

Seems to me it's going to surpass that once tomorrow's sun sets.

Bingo. “If you like your benzene, you can keep your benzene. Or, if you don’t like it, you’ll still get it, because fuck you all regulations are bad and must go.”
Imagine an American without the Clean Air Act or Clean Water Act, but with today’s level of industrial activity. It’s gonna be GREAT.
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Just maximizing profits. Looking out for the industry. Taking care of their families. 

I ran a shutdown there several years ago. That’s the worst place I’ve ever physically worked. I was told how bad it was, and it was considerably worse than that. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not surprising.   Surely nothing could be done since a couple of presidents made some decisions nearly 50 years ago.  

We'll solve poverty, homelessness, and addiction when we decide to stop being mad at people for being poor, homeless, and/or addicted.

Someday.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Not surprising.   Surely nothing could be done since a couple of presidents made some decisions nearly 50 years ago.  

Let’s hear your suggestion.

Mine is, end then war on drugs and tearing families apart. Use much of the money that would have gone to the DEA or other agencies to fight the war on drugs and instead use it for treatment and education.

But the machine is too big now. But that is surely Biden’s fault.
  • Hook 'Em 3

We'll solve poverty, homelessness, and addiction when we decide to stop being mad at people for being poor, homeless, and/or addicted.
Someday.
They just need bootstraps and more guns. They can kill themselves faster and more easily kill eachother.

27 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Someone please explain why we give Israel billions again? Seems like we could use that money here, for i dunno, fucking healthcare. 

Based on that graph, I’d say we’re spending plenty on healthcare. Might even  be able to make the argument that we’re overspending compared to other peer nations.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:21 AM, fattyflattie said:

I ran a shutdown there several years ago. That’s the worst place I’ve ever physically worked. I was told how bad it was, and it was considerably worse than that. 

And yet you continue to vote for the party that allows, no, encourages this type of behavior.

• Hook 'Em 3

And yet you continue to vote for the party that allows, no, encourages this type of behavior.

But, but, but the OTHER reasons. I still really haven’t heard what they are.

On this forum I see right wingers claim they want more gun control. Say they side with the good ideas they hear, but then asked why they keep voting the way they do…they say they won’t vote a single issue (even if it’s dead kids). Then those same right wing folks will say “yeah, fuck that war on drugs…it’s a waste of money and destroys families”. Ok, we say why do you vote for people that are pro war on drugs? Same answer “I don’t vote on single issues.” Some of those same folks agree that healthcare in this country sucks, or education should take a priority…yep, you guessed it, they can’t vote just on single issues. I am curious how many single issues they need to be in favor of before they actually stop being pussies and vote these idiots that run Texas or appoint dickhead justices that take away women’s rights out of office.

It’s mind bottling.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But, but, but the OTHER reasons. I still really haven’t heard what they are.

On this forum I see right wingers claim they want more gun control. Say they side with the good ideas they hear, but then asked why they keep voting the way they do…they say they won’t vote a single issue (even if it’s dead kids). Then those same right wing folks will say “yeah, fuck that war on drugs…it’s a waste of money and destroys families”. Ok, we say why do you vote for people that are pro war on drugs? Same answer “I don’t vote on single issues.” Some of those same folks agree that healthcare in this country sucks, or education should take a priority…yep, you guessed it, they can’t vote just on single issues. I am curious how many single issues they need to be in favor of before they actually stop being pussies and vote these idiots that run Texas or appoint dickhead justices that take away women’s rights out of office.

It’s mind bottling.

The hypocrisy is strong because they really are single issue voters. They vote solely on the basis of which candidate they think will put more money in their pocket. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...