Mass death in San Antonio Truck?

Royalfan5

14 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I'm not sure that's a great comparison. This happens fairly frequently when illegal aliens are being smuggled and conditions deteriorate without the trafficker knowing (or giving a shit). I know there was a story like this in the UK I believe not too long ago.

Triangle Shirtwaist was a laundry list of safety hazards - some of them intentional to produce sweatshop working conditions. Stories like this are an unfortunate side effect of what is an inherently dangerous practice where the participants are pretty aware that there is a ton of risk involved. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure that's a great comparison. This happens fairly frequently when illegal aliens are being smuggled and conditions deteriorate without the trafficker knowing (or giving a shit). I know there was a story like this in the UK I believe not too long ago.

Triangle Shirtwaist was a laundry list of safety hazards - some of them intentional to produce sweatshop working conditions. Stories like this are an unfortunate side effect of what is an inherently dangerous practice where the participants are pretty aware that there is a ton of risk involved. 

Oh yeah

23 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I don't understand why these mules just haul ass with the doors locked. At least open the trailer and haul ass.

The same reason ranchers don’t leave the trailer open when hauling cattle. There’s still money to be made at the processing facility. 

27 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I don't understand why these mules just haul ass with the doors locked.

Because they already collected their money on the other side of the border.  They delivered their cargo -- most likely they gave no reps or warranties about the survival of said cargo.

17 minutes ago, F250 said:

Coyotes are scum. It's happened in SA before. There needs to be a better immigration work program in the U.S. so people don't take such drastic measures that lead to senseless death.

Agree. My team wrote a concept document that went no where in Washington. Allow those truly in danger to request asylum there, in Latin America. It would be pretty damn easy to do. Happy to talk to anyone working on this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Coyotes are scum. It's happened in SA before. There needs to be a better immigration work program in the U.S. so people don't take such drastic measures that lead to senseless death.

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. My team wrote a concept document that went no where in Washington. Allow those truly in danger to request asylum there, in Latin America. It would be pretty damn easy to do. Happy to talk to anyone working on this. 

Presuming that the cruelty is not the intended outcome? Lol. It's been pretty clear over the last half decade (and longer) that the state authorities and their supporters do not consider 99.99% of asylum claim to be valid. In fact, building such a system to appropriately assess and humanely treat those asylum seekers is diametrically opposed to the most recent requests from the state, which sought to keep ALL people in tent cities in the Texas/Mexico desert while processing their asylum claim. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

wtf people. just get the dumb ass governments of the US and Mexico to agree to worker rights, get visas and make it legal. get it over with. enough. 

everything else is just people wasting fucking time and space. no CR. i am so fucking mad

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

SIAP - is there any understanding of where these folks came from? Mexico or further south? 

and/or any commentary recently that talks on the estimates/trends of where migrants are mostly coming from? I know in Mexico they have lots of issues with the rest of CAM on their southern border. 

1 hour ago, staboner said:

wtf people. just get the dumb ass governments of the US and Mexico to agree to worker rights, get visas and make it legal. get it over with. enough. 

everything else is just people wasting fucking time and space. no CR. i am so fucking mad

but...

trump supporters took our jobs GIF by South Park

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, F250 said:

The old Bracero program where migrants could work seasonally and legally in the USA and then return home worked too well, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Worker Shortage + Effective Political Gains off Vilifying Central American Immigration = Easily foreseeable outcome

While it's grotesque, low income migrants are at this point a tradable commodity along the border, and are treated as such. It doesn't have to be this way.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The old Bracero program where migrants could work seasonally and legally in the USA and then return home worked too well, I guess.

Yeah, a bunch of racists in the border patrol led by Harlon Carter thought it was letting in too many Mexicans so they kicked off operation wetback to make it harder to be Mexican and exist in the US. They deported everyone they found, who would just turn around and have to restart the legal process. This led to a higher labor cost for businesses near the border, who in turn sought to bring in more illegal labor to keep their margins nice and fat (and more tax free, to boot!), which basically drained the lifeblood out of the bracero program.

For someone who likes to reference history a bunch, you sure do have a rather rosy and white-favored view of it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yeah, a bunch of racists in the border patrol led by Harlon Carter thought it was letting in too many Mexicans so they kicked off operation wetback to make it harder to be Mexican and exist in the US. They deported everyone they found, who would just turn around and have to restart the legal process. This led to a higher labor cost for businesses near the border, who in turn sought to bring in more illegal labor to keep their margins nice and fat (and more tax free, to boot!), which basically drained the lifeblood out of the bracero program.
For someone who likes to reference history a bunch, you sure do have a rather rosy and white-favored view of it.

Bingo. My old man’s first job (he’s a border kid) was a shuttle van driver for Braceros to worksites. The system worked. It went away for reasons - none of them were good.

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Yup I believe twice (or more) under Trump so it's not a political football. It's a humanitarian crisis.

Edited by chainsaw
Hit send too soon

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

We still have the H2A program for agricultural workers. It's a terribly complex  program.  To my understanding "employment agencies" are the only one with practical access to H2A visas. Farmers gotta pay these pimps for people.  Expensive and dumb.

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

We still have the H2A program for agricultural workers. It's a terribly complex  program.  To my understanding "employment agencies" are the only one with practical access to H2A visas. Farmers gotta pay these pimps for people.  Expensive and dumb.

Almost like the program isn't being ran in good faith, and it's just so people can complain in bad faith that migrants are just lazy/selfish/etc and don't want to use the legal path available