Let’s glamp?

closetohumping

• 1 month later...

We have neighbors who own a few hundred acres next to our property in the Black Hills, the same trout stream runs through both of our properties.

Another neighbor got a heads up from the owner that they had an offer from a glamping company out of Montana, and they were about ready to sell most of their acreage. This other neighbor has a nice view of Mt. Rushmore that would become a glampground view, so he snatched up the property. This saved us from having a steady stream of big city glampers driving <100 feet past our cabin.

A guy we hired to bury a propane tank for us had a side job delivering firewood to another glamping site owned by this same company, and he says we dodged a bullet. Almost every time he delivered firewood, he got bitched at by glampers about everything from deforestation to the amount of wood he’s leaving (or not hauling off in case he decides to leave some slightly singed logs). He had to cut off deliveries when they stopped paying, then the company blamed it on him when the glampers complained (not the glampers’ fault, but it fell back on him). He finally halted deliveries.

If this glampground had gone through, I might’ve opened up a nude shooting range right along the entry road. Hours of operation starting at 6 a.m.

NIMBY, I admit. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

never understood the glamping craze.  or car camping either for that matter.  

I mean, RVs have been around for a hundred years.  I'm not sure I'd call glamping a craze.  The word "glamping" is relatively new, of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

Camping is something I've usually had to do in the context of fishing or hunting.  And on that account, I always wanted to sleep in the most comfortable setup I could manage.  Sometimes, that's in the car, other times it's in a rough cabin that's reasonably fancy compared to a tent.  I don't give a shit.  Whatever maximizes my comfort is best.   I mean....I prefer a place with electricity and hot and cold running water, if I can get it (a nice deer camp, etc.).

I remember when I was going camping with buddies in high school (read: heading out to remote places to sleep in a tent and get drunk and stay drunk).  My dad wisely asked "why in the hell would you voluntarily sleep in a tent if you didn't have to?"  He's slept rough plenty of times in his life.  He did it because he had to, not because camping was cool.  He was a wise SOB back then.  I've learned from his wisdom.

If you've got a glamp-site set up for me instead of a shitty tent for my hunting trip, I'm in.  But only because I'm lazy and like comfort.

• Hook 'Em 1

I glamped at the entrance to Zion via "Under the Stars" in the summer of 2020 during a heatwave. It was fine, but I did miss an AC during the morning for those 3 days. 

I glamped near the entrance of Mt. Rushmore a few weeks ago, again with "Under the Stars". Daytime temps in the 70's and nighttime temps in the 50's during July. It was very nice. My wife and I had a giant tent and the kids were thrown into an adjacent teepee. 

I have no interest in truly camping. This is as close as I will come if I can help it. Did plenty of camping with friends in HS and college and that was enough. Slept on a hard floor for 9 months my freshman year of college. That's enough, thanks.

Doing the "glamping" thing near a national park as a change of pace during long family road trips during the summer is plenty and satisfies my wife's bizarre interest in almost sleeping outdoors. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife tried to spring an Africa trip on me to visit her cousin who was in the Peace Corps in Ghana.  But I do all of the planning and the paying, so I agreed to it, then planned a European trip to Italy, France, and Spain instead, and had her cousin meet us in France.  It worked!

• Haha 2

shit man, I saw this and was like "that's interesting, was just thinking about this."  Turns out I started the thread.  This isn't the "you're old as fuck thread" is it?

Everyone always thinks the older generation made do, or were tougher and could handle harsh conditions.  Well no shit, they had no choice.  Everyone would seek comfort, cave men, John Wayne, Nic Cage.  We all need it.

Edited by closetohumping

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

What don’t you understand about car camping?

3 hours ago, sidis said:

based on his pix, i would suggest you consult @Hank_Hill on how to maximize one's enjoyment of glamping.

What a weekend

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I glamped near the entrance of Mt. Rushmore a few weeks ago, again with "Under the Stars". Daytime temps in the 70's and nighttime temps in the 50's during July. It was very nice. My wife and I had a giant tent and the kids were thrown into an adjacent teepee. 

I’m almost positive that’s the glampground the guy was talking about in my above post. He even gestured in that direction. Just think, you could have been treated to me and a bunch of 2A friends shooting in our birthday suits if that glampground had been completed. Small world.

The creek that runs by that site is a popular route for mountain lions. I’ve caught no fewer than 5 distinctly different cats in my trail cam over the past year or so. The glampground might’ve caused them to change their patterns.

About 150’ from our cabin recently…

CC4-CAAFD-295-F-4-DDA-9-D64-A470-A95125-

…and another one a tad bit closer…

B118-B39-E-CB36-478-F-9-EF7-CFB4-BCEA34-

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m almost positive that’s the glampground the guy was talking about in my above post. He even gestured in that direction. Just think, you could have been treated to me and a bunch of 2A friends shooting in our birthday suits if that glampground had been completed. Small world.

The creek that runs by that site is a popular route for mountain lions. I’ve caught no fewer than 5 distinctly different cats in my trail cam over the past year or so. The glampground might’ve caused them to change their patterns.

About 150’ from our cabin recently…

CC4-CAAFD-295-F-4-DDA-9-D64-A470-A95125-

…and another one a tad bit closer…

B118-B39-E-CB36-478-F-9-EF7-CFB4-BCEA34-

How in the world can you tell whether those cats are the same or not from one evening's photos to the next?

I'll tell you the coolest thing about that little town besides Mt. Rushmore, of course, was a restaurant called "The Powderhouse". I'm sure you've been there plenty. It's time-warped straight out of 1975. But the food was damned good and they had some quality on their wine list at basically cost. They serve the best prime rib I have ever eaten, far and away. We went in making fun of the place and the other restaurant choices and we left stunned at how much we liked it. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How in the world can you tell whether those cats are the same or not from one evening's photos to the next?

I'll tell you the coolest thing about that little town besides Mt. Rushmore, of course, was a restaurant called "The Powderhouse". I'm sure you've been there plenty. It's time-warped straight out of 1975. But the food was damned good and they had some quality on their wine list at basically cost. They serve the best prime rib I have ever eaten, far and away. We went in making fun of the place and the other restaurant choices and we left stunned at how much we liked it. 

I’ve eaten at the Powderhouse plenty of times. I usually get one of their wild game selections.

Regarding the lions, one of them has a tracking collar, another is obviously male because it’s more muscular, and yet another has a fucked up ear from a fight with another male. 

I posted this one on the hunting thread a while back…

B293-DF8-C-1-C2-D-438-B-8959-599-C1517-D

22 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

It is a little weird to me. You want comfort, get a hotel/vacation rental. You want to camp, camp. Glamping seems to bring the downsides of both together.

I’ve glamped once.  Rented an airstream off airbnb for a couple of nights outside of Alpine.  We enjoyed it.  I wouldn’t seek it out as an experience, as we weren’t there for the “glamping experience”, but in an area with limited lodging options, it can work well.  

It's all about the location.  In general, there aren't hotels or VRBOs in the places where people like to camp.  So setting up a less rustic campsite for "glamping" gets the traveler closer to the hike, or the view, or whatever it is that's drawing them to that particular location, while being more comfortable than more primitive camping options. 

I really don't see why anyone would be confused about that, nor why anyone would have a problem with some folks preferring a few more creature comforts while still being exposed to some of the more beautiful areas around the world.   If the glamping site is directly harming the environment, sure, I have a problem with that.  But that's not limited solely to glamping.  I've seen some hardcore back-country off-roaders tear up trails that would otherwise be a lot more pleasant to look at.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

glamping and car camping are ways to camp for people that dont like to camp.  there are these things called hotels that serve the same purpose.

Sleeping in a car is pretty much no different than sleeping in a tent, it sucks, and it’s still camping because as noted above you can do it in remote locations that hotels and hundreds of people aren’t in. 

Camping in and of itself is not an activity.  It's just a way to handle to logistics and have a place to sleep that gets you near the actual activity.  I car camp at the mountain bike trailhead because that's the closest I can get to it.  I tent camp or sleep under the stars on hikes in Big Bend because it's the only way to do that.  I see Thrill's point about people who load up like it's an Everest expedition to go sleep next to a parking lots and a bathroom 20 feet from their neighbors in some random state park just for the sake of camping.  That's not for me but there's still a reason to car camp sometimes.  

On the subject:  RVing is not camping.  Not in any way shape or form.  It's not even about the solid walls, it's about having a kitchen, a tv, a real bed with sheets...  You're just spending time in a more mobile mobile home at that point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Camping in and of itself is not an activity.  It's just a way to handle to logistics and have a place to sleep that gets you near the actual activity.  I car camp at the mountain bike trailhead because that's the closest I can get to it.  I tent camp or sleep under the stars on hikes in Big Bend because it's the only way to do that.  I see Thrill's point about people who load up like it's an Everest expedition to go sleep next to a parking lots and a bathroom 20 feet from their neighbors in some random state park just for the sake of camping.  That's not for me but there's still a reason to car camp sometimes.  
On the subject:  RVing is not camping.  Not in any way shape or form.  It's not even about the solid walls, it's about having a kitchen, a tv, a real bed with sheets...  You're just spending time in a more mobile mobile home at that point.  

I ain’t got no stinking TV and it took a foam topper to make the ‘bed’ acceptable. But with four solar panels and two lithium batteries the water capacity is usually my limiting factor for boondocking. I grew up backpacking and primitive camping and am getting too old for sleeping on the ground. There’s a whole new RV selector aimed at us aging backpackers, who now have some coin in our pockets, that still want to boondock. It is quite a baffling segment to the bring every home amenity camping crowd.

Best part, that never occurred to me when buying it, is I haven’t set foot in a public bathroom since.

My Glamper-
8cdaf3efb43203b4417e0991d1a74321.jpg

Its an Airstream Base Camp 20X.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2