Can we get a San Antonio sub in this forum?

Hozz

No one and I mean no one but George Strait can or should use San Antone.  If we do that we might as well start going full douche and try to pretend like we are NYC but using terms like the SATX and using abbreviations for neighborhoods.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/29/2022 at 8:34 AM, Hozz said:

Bill Miller breakfast is super solid too.  Comes in a little tray with a scoop of refried beans, scrambled eggs, hash browns and either bacon or sausage and two tortillas.  The one by me is super cheap about salsa, you have to ask and they will almost always try and short you anyway.

Have not been to Jim's in a decade or so.  They used to have something called Canadian Cheese Soup that was pretty great.

I used to work as a prep cook at Jim’s in high school and making that cheese soup was one of my duties. It was pretty legit for Jim’s….started with a roux.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I used to work as a prep cook at Jim’s in high school and making that cheese soup was one of my duties. It was pretty legit for Jim’s….started with a roux.

Prep cook hollah here!  You can learn a lot of useful shit in that job.  On the other hand, you are ruined from making small batches.  Big cooks for the deer lease is what I have become.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 7/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, UncleBuck said:

The sub's title should be San Antone, btw. 

I live here and don’t know anyone that calls it that at all. Maybe I don’t know enough old white people. But shit even the few I do know don’t call it that.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, midtown said:

No one and I mean no one but George Strait can or should use San Antone.  If we do that we might as well start going full douche and try to pretend like we are NYC but using terms like the SATX and using abbreviations for neighborhoods.

I love George Strait just like the next guy, but it's peak San "Antonio" to forget about the OG San "Antone" using mf'er: SA's own Doug Sahm. The fact that San Antone doesn't have a statue of that man smack dab in the middle of the city is horse shit.

If it was okay for Doug Sahm, it's okay for anybody. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I live here and don’t know anyone that calls it that at all. Maybe I don’t know enough old white people. But shit even the few I do know don’t call it that.

Grew up 85 miles southeast of there, and have known and know people from there. Though not exclusively, I've heard "Antone" all of my life. My uncle, who lived off 1604 for 30+ years (Converse, then Calaveras way) still calls it that. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Grew up 85 miles southeast of there, and have known and know people from there. Though not exclusively, I've heard "Antone" all of my life. My uncle, who lived off 1604 for 30+ years (Converse, then Calaveras way) still calls it that. 

Same. Born in San Antone, raised 30 miles south. Have heard it my entire life.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The only brisket taco I’ll ever eat is when it’s leftover from a prior nights bbq and it’s mixed in with egg. What he’s eating there is a glorified wrap. Blasphemy.

I dunno man, a little bit of onion, cilantro and a chile toreado.. mmmmm 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I thought that this would be relevant to this thread:

Texas restaurant reopens after viral video captures rat infestation

https://nypost.com/2022/07/06/viral-video-captures-rat-infestation-in-texas-restaurant/?dicbo=v2-d5f1c622cda0f53b1381f6702bcef858

Hot damn! I ate at that one several times. Always liked it. Guess I need a pet rat to shit on my food at home.

• Haha 1

I love George Strait just like the next guy, but it's peak San "Antonio" to forget about the OG San "Antone" using mf'er: SA's own Doug Sahm. The fact that San Antone doesn't have a statue of that man smack dab in the middle of the city is horse shit.
If it was okay for Doug Sahm, it's okay for anybody. 

Bob Wills. Bob motherfucking Wills, sang San An-tone. As in Rose of. I take that as acceptable. Played at my father’s funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

*4. If you're white and legit speak spanish fluently, go ahead. If you don't, trust me: they know the numbers. They know what "please" means. "Thank you." "Yes." "No." "Water." "Tea." "THAT SPECIAL SALS'R Y'ALLS KEEP IN THE BACK OV'THERE!"

Troof.

CSB so far back in time that my hair was on my head and not my back, I would squire around this chica mexicana and we would start our bar crawls at the local "Mexican" (groundbeef everything) joint to build up an absorbent base. She would dog-cuss me because I didn't order in Spanish.

I'm like, "Dude talked to me in English so I talked to him in English back." But at last, worn down by La Muy Mandona's disdain, I puzzled through an order in Spanish slightly better than Peggy Hill. Used half the verb tenses, probably improperly, but damn if the language of Cervantes didn't stumble from my lips.

Her turn: "Veinticinco."

/CSB

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Troof.

CSB so far back in time that my hair was on my head and not my back, I would squire around this chica mexicana and we would start our bar crawls at the local "Mexican" (groundbeef everything) joint to build up an absorbent base. She would dog-cuss me because I didn't order in Spanish.

I'm like, "Dude talked to me in English so I talked to him in English back." But at last, worn down by La Muy Mandona's disdain, I puzzled through an order in Spanish slightly better than Peggy Hill. Used half the verb tenses, probably improperly, but damn if the language of Cervantes didn't stumble from my lips.

Her turn: "Veinticinco."

/CSB

I'm just now comfortable saying "chile toreado." But most of the time, if my wife's ordering one (with her asada taco), I'll tell her to get two. She be mexicana and doesn't speak spanish to them either unless she has to. 

Funny story. New young mexican lady started working at this gas station next to work years ago. White fella ahead of me tells her he's getting the beer and counts his change, all in spanish to this lady. He walks off, I step up with my beer and she looks down and says, "uhmm, I like, uh, speak perfect english?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

If you are visiting SA do yourself a favor and go get some tacos from Garcia's Mexican Food

Garcia's Mexican Restaurant – Texas Monthly

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

The only brisket taco I’ll ever eat is when it’s leftover from a prior nights bbq and it’s mixed in with egg. What he’s eating there is a glorified wrap. Blasphemy.

We should play a game on this site where you have to guess which horrible take belongs to which poster. I've got futureman and Spider2ybanana on ignore, but I'm pretty sure I could pick a Helobious horrible take with my eyes closed. It's truly phenomenal how wrong one person can continue to be. You are somehow the exception that disproves the rule that even a broken clock is right twice a day. It's truly unbelievable.

That said, Garcias is my favorite restaurant in San Antonio. Not my favorite Mexican food restaurant, but my favorite restaurant. Period. No offense to Mon Chou Chou or Cured or every other fine dining establishment, but I'll take Garcias every day. I am partial to the brisket nachos if I'm getting brisket there, but the brisket taco is really fucking solid. I always get guac on it. They also have obscene carne guisada, killer carne de puerco and fantastic enchiladas. I'm sure I have half a dozen posts about it in the real San Antonio thread and not in this lame ass, poser, interloper thread that only serves to confuse people when they are actually looking for the real San Antonio thread.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I’ve never been to Garcias as the Mexican food up here isn’t as good as back home, so I don’t really seek it out too much. But all the talk it gets I suppose I’ll have to try it soon. And I definitely wont be getting the brisket taco.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sure I have half a dozen posts about it in the real San Antonio thread and not in this lame ass, poser, interloper thread that only serves to confuse people when they are actually looking for the real San Antonio thread.

Which "real San Antonio thread" ?  This one:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/15892-san-antonio/page/9/#comment-3546070

or the 11 page long "San Antonio" thread that was still on the 1st fucking page of the forum when the one above was started?

Seems as though there's a precedent for resetting it.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1

How is the south side of downtown doing these days? Last time I was in SA I stayed at the Crockett by the Alamo and walked everywhere, including way down either S. Presa or S. St.Mary's until they hit the railroad tracks. It looked like it was about to explode with development. This was about 5 years ago I guess.

25 minutes ago, miguelito said:

"San Antone" is OK if it's in a song and it needs to rhyme with something.

But if it's used in normal conversation, you should be kicked in your chorizo.

Get your pata ready then, buddy! Me. You. Downtown San Antone. 

• Drool 1

28 minutes ago, miguelito said:

"San Antone" is OK if it's in a song and it needs to rhyme with something.

But if it's used in normal conversation, you should be kicked in your chorizo.

So this doesn't work under your scheme. 

Is anybody goin' to San Antone
Or Phoenix, Arizona?
Any place is all right as long as I
Can forget I've ever known her

Any scheme that calls for kicking Charley Pride is no scheme I can sign onto.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

So this doesn't work under your scheme. 

Is anybody goin' to San Antone
Or Phoenix, Arizona?
Any place is all right as long as I
Can forget I've ever known her

Any scheme that calls for kicking Charley Pride is no scheme I can sign onto.

Or:

"While you're all alone in San Antone, 

give me back the key to my heart"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, RDCanecutter said:

How is the south side of downtown doing these days? Last time I was in SA I stayed at the Crockett by the Alamo and walked everywhere, including way down either S. Presa or S. St.Mary's until they hit the railroad tracks. It looked like it was about to explode with development. This was about 5 years ago I guess.

Pretty trendy now, “Southtown” is what most of that area is called. Some good restaurants and nice overpriced apartments down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Pretty trendy now, “Southtown” is what most of that area is called. Some good restaurants and nice overpriced apartments down there.

I saw that kind of stuff, but also some older houses that if you just slap a new roof on them, they're probably good for another 50 years. Looked like an Artsy subculture was building up.

Another area I like is sort of central, just north of where 35 cuts through downtown. My memories blur as to which neighborhoods. Like hundreds of old two-story fixer-uppers.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

But still a bargain compared to Austin as is the rest of San Antonio. If/when I leave Port A it will be Costa Rica and San Antonio as my second home. I hate saying that because I loved Austin. It sucks now. I’m just hoping San Antonio doesn’t get ruined in my lifetime.

33 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Another area I like is sort of central, just north of where 35 cuts through downtown. My memories blur as to which neighborhoods. Like hundreds of old two-story fixer-uppers.

Yeah that’s tobin hill/the strip/five points. I don’t really spend any time there. That whole area just depresses me for some reason and I have no idea why. 

• Haha 1

Downtown SA is exploding.  I assume we are getting a ton of flow over from those looking to escape CA etc who would normally move to Austin but simply cant afford an urban lifestyle in Austin or Dallas.

Southtown has been going for several years now and Lavaca has been for probably 10 years.   But now everything is gentrifying.  Arsenal is already well into its modernization.  Clay Street has a sweet condos.   S. Presa has started.  When you look at S. Presa it's bordered by King William and Lavaca so it's just logical for it to be next.   Even Dignowity Hill which is east of the Alamo dome is going too.  That area is still pretty raw and was one of the highest crime areas in SA for decades.   IMO it's going to take a while if forever for SA to become as sterile and insufferable as as the other big metros in Texas.  Too much culture built into this city and by far the only really unique large city in Texas in the first place.  You're average white snowflake transplant that would have no issues moving to segregated city like Austin is going to have a bit of a culture shock trying to move into a condo in Dignowity Hill today once they realize their neighbors are minorities and there is a crack house on the same street.  

But still a bargain compared to Austin as is the rest of San Antonio. If/when I leave Port A it will be Costa Rica and San Antonio as my second home. I hate saying that because I loved Austin. It sucks now. I’m just hoping San Antonio doesn’t get ruined in my lifetime.

One realtor friend told me that a ton of the development in the general downtown area is from developers from Austin/Dallas etc who are finding the land super cheap relatively to other metros and are driving the development.   And the architecture kind of looks like it IMO.  Not sure if that's true. 

My game plan is to move downtown in two years when my son leaves the house.  Then it will just be me and my daughter for a few years so a 2-3 bdr will be fine.   Something I can lock up and leave for 4-6 months at a time.   Once she's gone I will either purchase or lease a place in the central valley of CR and just go back and forth.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We should play a game on this site where you have to guess which horrible take belongs to which poster. I've got futureman and Spider2ybanana on ignore, but I'm pretty sure I could pick a Helobious horrible take with my eyes closed. It's truly phenomenal how wrong one person can continue to be. You are somehow the exception that disproves the rule that even a broken clock is right twice a day. It's truly unbelievable.

That said, Garcias is my favorite restaurant in San Antonio. Not my favorite Mexican food restaurant, but my favorite restaurant. Period. No offense to Mon Chou Chou or Cured or every other fine dining establishment, but I'll take Garcias every day. I am partial to the brisket nachos if I'm getting brisket there, but the brisket taco is really fucking solid. I always get guac on it. They also have obscene carne guisada, killer carne de puerco and fantastic enchiladas. I'm sure I have half a dozen posts about it in the real San Antonio thread and not in this lame ass, poser, interloper thread that only serves to confuse people when they are actually looking for the real San Antonio thread.

uh oh

image.thumb.png.3812049ecf61679cf5687efa93e68c7b.png

• Hook 'Em 1