Epstein and Maxwell

statsman

So, when I first heard of him, it was as a really rich guy with lots of connections who was into unsavory sex with (too) young girls. The assumption was that he got really rich, and that allowed him to entertain his proclivities. It also fell that his buddies were perhaps suspect, too. 
But, something is off. Usually, when you read about someone worth nine or more figures, there is a simple explanation for how they got so rich- getting in on the ground floor of a new company, making a big score, inheritance, or so on. Not so with Epstein. His story, as near as I can tell is- he got a job as a young man with a NYC investment firm and … got real rich. Not seven figure rich, like it’s hard for investment bankers to miss doing, not eight figure rich like a career of hard effort can get these guys, but nine-ten figure rich. But, there was no single big score or startup. 
So, my question is- did Epstein make his big fortune as a high priced procurer for the Wall Street and Washington big shots? Instead of being a rich guy into sharing illicit activities with other rich guys, was he just a pimp that the richer guys made rich?

The question is significant because it changes the perception of his associates- the movers and shakers. If this idea is true, then they were not just suspect; they are probably all guilty. It would mean there was no business reason for anybody to associate with him, just illegal activities. 
Do I have this wrong?

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

So, when I first heard of him, it was as a really rich guy with lots of connections who was into unsavory sex with (too) young girls. The assumption was that he got really rich, and that allowed him to entertain his proclivities. It also fell that his buddies were perhaps suspect, too. 
But, something is off. Usually, when you read about someone worth nine or more figures, there is a simple explanation for how they got so rich- getting in on the ground floor of a new company, making a big score, inheritance, or so on. Not so with Epstein. His story, as near as I can tell is- he got a job as a young man with a NYC investment firm and … got real rich. Not seven figure rich, like it’s hard for investment bankers to miss doing, not eight figure rich like a career of hard effort can get these guys, but nine-ten figure rich. But, there was no single big score or startup. 
So, my question is- did Epstein make his big fortune as a high priced procurer for the Wall Street and Washington big shots? Instead of being a rich guy into sharing illicit activities with other rich guys, was he just a pomp that the richer guys made rich?

The question is significant because it changes the perception of his associates- the movers and shakers. If this idea is true, then they were not just suspect; they are probably all guilty. It would mean there was no business reason for anybody to associate with him, just illegal activities. 
Do I have this wrong?

I always found that part of his origin story to be unclear too.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He was the son of a house wife and a groundskeeper, and didn't even have a college degree...so how the fuck did he even get to Wall Street

That happens.  Not at Goldman Sachs, sure but there are smaller houses where a family connection, a mentor can get you in. Hard work will then get a guy to seven or eight figure wealth. Not Gulfstream and private island wealth. 

Edited by statsman

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He was the son of a house wife and a groundskeeper, and didn't even have a college degree...so how the fuck did he even get to Wall Street

Michael Lewis touches on that in Liars Poker, the he came into Salomon Brothers in the 1980's they had many senior people in the firm with no college degree. And that was normal in many firms, especially for traders on the floor;  he states that was changing while he was there and a degree became a prerequisite to getting into Wall Street.

Of course this was before quant trading, and algorithms driving computer trading programs

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

That happens.  Not at Goldman Sachs, sure but there are smaller houses where a family connection, a mentor can get you in. Hard work will then get a guy to seven or eight figure wealth. Not Gulfstream and private island wealth. 

16 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I always found that part of his origin story to be unclear too.

he was inappropriately teaching at a high school in manhattan (dalton).  alan greenberg, who was the ceo at bear stearns had kids that went to school there and he offered him a job after he was dismissed from the school. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeffrey-epstein-math-science-students-memories_n_5d28cf17e4b0060b11ebf987

at bear, he quickly became part of the team that helped the super rich with tax avoidance.  he then spent a ton of time on his own as effectively a bounty hunter/scumbag in the finance world.

the big dollars came when he started working on behalf of the victoria's secret owner wexner.  the combination of her and maxwell's father...along with him being the kind of scuzzy dude who knew how to utilize leverage to make things appear more inflated than they really were like some other people we know.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

he was inappropriately teaching at a high school in manhattan (dalton).  alan greenberg, who was the ceo at bear stearns had kids that went to school there and he offered him a job after he was dismissed from the school. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeffrey-epstein-math-science-students-memories_n_5d28cf17e4b0060b11ebf987

at bear, he quickly became part of the team that helped the super rich with tax avoidance.  he then spent a ton of time on his own as effectively a bounty hunter/scumbag in the finance world.

the big dollars came when he started working on behalf of the victoria's secret owner wexner.  the combination of her and maxwell's father...along with him being the kind of scuzzy dude who knew how to utilize leverage to make things appear more inflated than they really were like some other people we know.

Geez, talk about bringing the fox into the hen house

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

how?

a number of ways.  one was certainly management fees for investments.  but their relationship was all kind of fucked up and reeked of impropriety...hiding money offshore, etc...  for example, wexner had a shell company that he had owned and the company "sold" a manhattan mansion to epstein's company (financial trust co.) for $0 according to new york property records despite the FMV being in the millions. 

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The fact that no names from her client list have leaked is incredible to me.

yeah.  don't these name have to have been disclosed during her trial?  "and you contacted x, right?  and accepted money for x to have sex with y, right? and here are your dozen emails to x about arranging it, right?" were all these guys just lucky because the trials were closed doors to protect the young ladies?

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

yeah.  don't these name have to have been disclosed during her trial?  "and you contacted x, right?  and accepted money for x to have sex with y, right? and here are your dozen emails to x about arranging it, right?" were all these guys just lucky because the trials were closed doors to protect the young ladies?

Sealed, for reasons....

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I just read the indictment and if this is the one she was tried under, it is all about soliciting minors to have sex with Epstein, not other people.  So that would explain why there was no leaking of other names here.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/1291491/download

As well as explain why the trial was set up as it was....it all smells like horseshit

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the shareable link to a WSJ story on how Epstein made his fortune-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeffrey-epstein-burrowed-into-the-lives-of-the-rich-and-made-a-fortune-11564092553?st=2tlfwdjg9jqe5sg&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

His “charm” does a lot of lifting in this story. Does no one else think of being charming to mega-rich, to get favors and money? A lot of very wealthy people, who did eight and nine figure favors for him, state that if they “knew he was like that”, they never would have had anything to do with him. 

Convenient

43 minutes ago, statsman said:

Here is the shareable link to a WSJ story on how Epstein made his fortune-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeffrey-epstein-burrowed-into-the-lives-of-the-rich-and-made-a-fortune-11564092553?st=2tlfwdjg9jqe5sg&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

His “charm” does a lot of lifting in this story. Does no one else think of being charming to mega-rich, to get favors and money? A lot of very wealthy people, who did eight and nine figure favors for him, state that if they “knew he was like that”, they never would have had anything to do with him. 

Convenient

It wasn't his "charm" that got him the inside track, it's was information.  He had dirt on everyone.  He peddled on information at the highest levels.  Now that it's out, the uber-wealthy are trying to distance themselves from being culpable.  

The reason the list isn't out is probably the reason the Kennedy files keep being pushed - somber men in black suits telling the decision makers that it's a "matter of national security" to keep these hidden and/or redacted.  

• Like 1

Regardless of how he insinuated himself into various deals, the vehicle I'm certain was always "the fee," a percentage, often probably quite numerically small (1% or less) of the gross value of the deal and a number that tots out being beyond any really defensible compensation for any actual work (or capital at risk for that matter).  Like that would tot out to tens or hundreds of thousands an hour, if broken down that way.

That is the vehicle of choice for compensation of the filthier rich, if they aren't making it off their own capital.

JPMorgan bought control of Highbridge in 2004 for more than $1 billion. Mr. Epstein earned a fee of around $15 million from Highbridge, according to people familiar with the payment. One said the fee stemmed from Mr. Epstein’s role introducing Mr. Dubin to Mr. Staley years earlier.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WSJ digs deeper (shareable link)

CIA's William Burns, Goldman's Kathryn Ruemmler, Noam Chomsky, the president of Bard College, a Kissinger consultant and a Rothschild. They all met with Jeffrey Epstein in the years after his conviction, documents show.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeffrey-epstein-calendar-cia-director-goldman-sachs-noam-chomsky-c9f6a3ff?st=5j4nv5cq6fwe2n1&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Thoughts-

It looks like, after his parole, he was trying to re-establish a network of powerful connections 

Powerful people really should be more diligent about vetting new friends. 

I don’t know. I think the story is- young Jeff Epstein learns that rich and powerful people can do things for you. You don’t want to work for them- they see you as a servant. You want them to like you. 
He started probing the seedy underbelly of powerful men’s illicit desires (which- oh, happy day!- aligned with his) and parlayed some big favors into a higher strata in the tower. And he kept doing that until he was arrested and imprisoned. 
When he got out, he started trying to develop a new network, and perhaps tried to use charm and wealth (although he still had the underage -I’m uncomfortable with overuse of the euphemisms- sex slaves). 
Jeff Epstein, himself, isn’t that interesting. Like with Jay Gatsby, the real story is about America and how it works. I have faith in America, though, and take comfort in knowing that despite how wealthy and connected Epstein was, his victims were able to hold him accountable. 

(Did he kill himself or was he murdered? I’m wary with conspiracies, but I could see it either way)

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read most of the Wall Street Journal series on Epstein a few weeks back.  They tied a lot of famous and influential people to multiple meetings with ole Jeff. What they never said was that any of these folks were there for anything other than him working on his contacts and network, and them looking for financial help for their cause, or research or whatever.  Nothing was explicitly said that any of those folks had broken the law in any way.  Almost seemed like the WSJ was gratuitously dragging them through the mud for sport.  Now, are we waiting for the other shoe to fall?  Did they all duck in to spend some time with Jeff’s young assistants?  All of course denied any wrongdoing and wished they had never met Epstein. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KennyPowders said:

It is strange that we have have sealed up the documents of the epstein report.

A lot of high net worth individuals including politicians are being protected.

Was the bridge player male or female?