Best Ice Cream in TX

EvilCaseMcCoy

Adam’s Pecan Pie ice cream is one of the greatest ice creams in the history of ice creams. That includes all the cream I churned in futureman’s mom’s cunt.

The same braintrust that canceled that ice cream must have canceled the whataburger jalapeño cheddar biscuit. Goddam idiots.

The antibiotics cleared up all the shit futureman’s mom gave me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would rather be in San Angelo than Houston. Or College Station. Or Waco.

Or Wichita Falls, or Lubbock, or Tyler……we could play this game all day.  San Angelo is actually a pretty nice place in cowboy West Texas, but water is a continuing problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I don't know if it's the best but I can't believe I waster 30 years of my life on Blue Bell when the far superior Creamy Creations was readily available just a few feet away.

This. The best thing about the Blue Bell massacre was discovering Creamy Creations. Haven't had a bite of Blue Bell since. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

This. The best thing about the Blue Bell massacre was discovering Creamy Creations. Haven't had a bite of Blue Bell since. 

CC Dulce de Leche is among my favorite ice creams of any brand.  The Texans Tackle Crackle( JJ’s Cream) was great too.

Edited by slorch

36 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Well, hell.  Thought I'd read somewhere that they had pulled back north of the Red River.  Must have been some other chain.  My mistake.

Yep, there's one on Inwood about three mins from my house near Love Field.

If we're talking about strictly ice cream shops it's hard to not root for Howdy Homemade due to their story. Started by Tom Landis, who brought Texadelphia to Dallas in the 1990's, Howdy Homemade is almost entirely staffed by special needs teens/adults. The ice cream is pretty damn good too -- and can be found at many HEB's now.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/ice-cream-shop-designed-workers-special-succeed-82276102

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I remember a trip to Dallas as a kid, we stopped at a place called Braums in hillsboro or west or something. It was so amazing I still remember it. 

Braums is fucking awesome.  It's by far the best thing about Oklahoma.  They also have good burgers and great breakfasts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Wild About Harry’s over on Knox (now moved just off Knox) in Dallas used to have pretty good stuff but it’s gone way downhill since Harry passed. 

well google maps says it’s permanently closed. not surprised. last time I was in there it was average as hell. I remember 20 years or so ago when Harry opened the store it was a very much a step above normal ice cream. 

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Kroger Private Selection ice cream should not be ignored.  That stuff is way above average.

Cherry Amaretto Cordial and the Mint Denali Fudge.

I don't really miss Kroger out here, but I miss those...

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Cherry Amaretto Cordial and the Mint Denali Fudge.

I don't really miss Kroger out here, but I miss those...

Moose Tracks.  Cookie Dough.  And even the plain old vanilla was solid.

23 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’m pretty sure I’ll never go to San Angelo in my life.

I went once, passing through by happenstance, on my way from Abilene to Ciudad Acuña.

My advice is once you get to San Angelo, top off your tank and then continue to do so at every station you see.

Braums is fucking awesome.  It's by far the best thing about Oklahoma.  They also have good burgers and great breakfasts.

Yep, used to go to the one in Grapevine all the time. They even give you a tiny grocery cart to shop and take their awesome shit home with you.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

I remember a trip to Dallas as a kid, we stopped at a place called Braums in hillsboro or west or something. It was so amazing I still remember it. 

Worked at Braums during high school. I love that damn place. Denton location is OG

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

well google maps says it’s permanently closed. not surprised. last time I was in there it was average as hell. I remember 20 years or so ago when Harry opened the store it was a very much a step above normal ice cream. 

‘Cuz it was custard.

I used to love going in there and shooting the shit with Harry, then grabbing a hot dog with the kids and custard after. He was so nice!

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

‘Cuz it was custard.

I used to love going in there and shooting the shit with Harry, then grabbing a hot dog with the kids and custard after. He was so nice!

Harry was such a great dude.  A little known fact - he grew up in Hollis, OK and was close friends with Darrell Royal. I believe he told me his older brother was Coach Royal’s age.

I miss Harry. Not many like him anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

At least 1.4% pasteurized egg yolk in custard.

Yeah, custard is supposed to be creamier or some shit. If you taste them side-by-side, custard is usually the winner. I also think it has less calories and fat than traditional ice cream.

My grandmother and mother's recipe for homemade ice cream uses a cooked custard as the base.  So I always assumed that a cooked custard was the difference in a commercial brand calling itself a "frozen custard" rather than an ice cream.  But sounds like it's more related to the %mix of ingredients?

All I can say is that my mom's homemade ice cream/frozen custard is the most delicious dessert on the planet.

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My grandmother and mother's recipe for homemade ice cream uses a cooked custard as the base.  So I always assumed that a cooked custard was the difference in a commercial brand calling itself a "frozen custard" rather than an ice cream.  But sounds like it's more related to the %mix of ingredients?

All I can say is that my mom's homemade ice cream/frozen custard is the most delicious dessert on the planet.

And you're not sharing it because...?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, custard is supposed to be creamier or some shit. If you taste them side-by-side, custard is usually the winner. I also think it has less calories and fat than traditional ice cream.

I should go on a custard diet.

• Like 1