Best Ice Cream in TX

EvilCaseMcCoy

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Was reading an article from Men's Health "Eat This Not That" about the ice cream brands with the cheapest ingredients.  Everyone's favorite, Blue Bell, made the list.  

I saw that too.  I'm no Blue Bell fanboi, and their ingredients may suck.  But it usually tastes pretty good.  I need to start making homemade ice cream again.

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What’s that place down in Galveston? Henry’s or  something? Might just be cus it’s always hot as hell when I get it but I love that stuff. Fat Cat in Houston is also pretty damn good 

Hey Mikey’s in Galveston… I knew it started with an H.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Henry's Ice cream in Plano is pretty damn good.  

It's really good. 

Just a little south on Arapaho close to 75 is Tongue in Cheek and it's great too. The "banana pudding" flavor with the vanilla wafers mixed in is fantastic. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:50 AM, Helobious said:

I remember a trip to Dallas as a kid, we stopped at a place called Braums in hillsboro or west or something. It was so amazing I still remember it. 

On 6/30/2022 at 12:50 PM, Carl Spackler said:

They're only in the OKC area now.  

I thought for sure these had to be sarcasm

44 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Damn it. Appears Van Leeuwen Hot Honey ice cream is done. It is the best ice cream ever. I can’t find at any Wal Mart, just the goofball shit like pizza and Kraft Mac and cheese. If you see it but some. Let me know where it be.

Let WhatTheBuck know so he can enter it on his list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Blue Bell uses "lowest quality ingredients."

shocker-shocked.gif

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/food-magazine-ranks-blue-bell-ice-cream-among-worst-store-bought-in-country-brenham-frozen-dessert-texas/273-12322c65-1314-4eef-8be0-41d3b3cc0bd7?fbclid=IwAR0XuGrLVSzrilIrd_51p-V77ihbSnC_m1OfQ4QTQzrKTCiQeN78V83HVlM

SAN ANTONIO — Apparently, not everyone believes that Blue Bell Ice Cream is the best ice cream in the country. In fact, one food magazine, “Eat This, Not That!,” says the popular Texas treat is among the worst. 

New York-based writer Steven John listed Blue Bell, which was founded in Brenham, Texas in 1907, among nine ice cream brands that “use the lowest quality ingredients.” 

The article says, "Blue Bell Ice Cream has a popularity problem: according to a Mashed survey, a majority of people find it to be the worst store-bought ice cream. Maybe that's because they have a quality ingredient problem, too."

The writer criticized the company for using food thickening agents such as cellulose gum and vegetable gums in its Homemade Vanilla flavor. He also had a problem with the company’s use of food starch, artificial colors and other ingredients.   

"How about just regular milk, cream, and sugar," said Steven John.

While he might say the tasty frozen treat is one of the worst, most Texans will say it's a taste of heaven on earth.

Have you tried any of their new flavors yet?

17 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Blue Bell= aggy

This. Creamy Creations is one of a dozen brands on the HEB/Central Market shelves that exponentially better than BB, which is run by aggy and fucking killed people AND still didn't clean up their shit. Fuck them. I'll never buy BB again.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yes they are.   The Candy Cane special edition is the best that comes out  at Christmas.   Next to the Cookies and Cream.  

Lemon Cookie from HEB is amazing, but I'm discovering more and more often that my affinity for Lemon ice cream is a minority position.

Also, I know they were not local, but Steve's and Swensen's when I was growing up in Houston (1980s) were fantastic.

edit:  Ooooh, replies automatically merged.  I'll be the first to admit that that I will unintentionally wear that feature out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...