MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread

Brisketexan

41 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

How was the sex tent?

Steamy.  Just how I like it.

35 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I was thinking more a truck stop bathroom outside of Pampa.

Bullshit.  I purposefully plot every road trip to avoid Pampa.

32 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Mints were provided.

Well....YEAH.....

61c29472-cdb5-4b9a-8f25-0a03f255e7d1_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Damn.  Sad shit.  RIP MAC

Still catching up on his stories but he seems like he was a hell of a guy to be around.  Hope the many of you who knew him have those memories to console yourselves during this rather shitty time.  

Growing up with Townes, Steve Earle, and Guy Clark around would be likely to equip any kid with a lifetime supply of great stories. Throw that in with a family legacy like his, and it seems like a sure thing. I never connected MAC with him, and I'm sorry for that. 

RIP, MAC, RIP.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread
34 minutes ago, Elvis said:

RIP MAC.

Question:  How much does a fella drink to check out like this?

Lots.  For a long time.  On an unbroken streak.  Doing literally nothing else to tend to his physical health or wellbeing.

But  your mileage may vary.  My recommendation is not to try it.

I don’t think Elvis is going to try it, but rather gauging if his consumption was on par with what eventually killed MAC. There may be a few of us wondering the same thing. For example, was he consuming a 1.75 liter of whiskey a week or was it more? Asking for Elvis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I approve this message.

And on the matter at hand, again my condolences to all of you who knew MAC and to his family.  But also my thanks.  Without this thread I wouldn't have been put in touch with his writing and the impact he had on so many.  I feel more enriched for having read them.  Thanks for all the shares.

Yes.  I knew his name and who he was and that he was a writer for several years now, I forget exactly why.  I had seen and enjoyed some of his stuff in Texas Monthly.

But I guess out of respect for the fact that he had somehow been doxxed to me, I never googled him up to try to find more of his writing, and not being a Houstonian, I didn't stumble across it naturally.  So, I am at least grateful for having been exposed to more of it through this thread.

I will definitely buy an anthology that was mentioned in one of the write-ups above.

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t think Elvis is going to try it, but rather gauging if his consumption was on par with what eventually killed MAC. There may be a few of us wondering the same thing. For example, was he consuming a 1.75 liter of whiskey a week or was it more? Asking for Elvis.

As I understand, his poison of choice (at least what got him over the finish line) was cheap wine.  He was living on a writer's income, after all.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

For example, was he consuming a 1.75 liter of whiskey a week or was it more?

I've never met the guy or talked to him about his drinking but I'm 99% sure it was more than that for at least some significant stretches. 

That's 5.5 drinks a day. That will kill you but it most likely won't lead to multiple organ failure by 50. 

I come from alcoholics on both sides of my fam.  Dad’s dad. Mom’s two sisters (1 died young from it) and dad.  

I ducked a bullet in my genetic roulette wheel. I’ve had several friends (including my best friend and law school buddy) die from long term booze or opioid use. 

All were loving dads and husbands and persons of high character who were not selfish personalities.   None could resist it.   I quit being judgmental when I saw that character had nothing to do with it. 

I marvel at those who beat it every fucking day and stay sober. 

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I come from alcoholics on both sides of my fam.  Dad’s dad. Mom’s two sisters (1 died young from it) and dad.  

I ducked a bullet in my genetic roulette wheel. I’ve had several friends (including my best friend and law school buddy) die from long term booze or opioid use. 

All were loving dads and husbands and persons of high character who were not selfish personalities.   None could resist it.   I quit being judgmental when I saw that character had nothing to do with it. 

I marvel at those who beat it every fucking day and stay sober. 

Although we only seem to really notice the Faulkner and VanZandt types, addicts usually are pretty talented in some way or another and generally pretty worthwhile people when not boiled as owls.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never met the guy or talked to him about his drinking but I'm 99% sure it was more than that for at least some significant stretches. 
That's 5.5 drinks a day. That will kill you but it most likely won't lead to multiple organ failure by 50. 

That makes it sound like a lot when you put it that way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

That makes it sound like a lot when you put it that way.

Well... it is a lot. But when it comes to peak consumption while drinking yourself to death that would definitely be on the low end for a normal sized American male. And from what I can gather he wasn't a big fat person with myriad other health issues. Plenty of people kill a fifth a day or more at the height of their alcoholism. That would be 3 times as much consumption. Would a handle a week as a rolling average over 20-25 years do the trick? Maybe. Probably. I'm just assuming his use was heavier in the last few years. 

Maybe an MD can chime in who has seen a lot of cases and has a better idea of what quantities are sustainable and for how long. Like anything, a lot of it depends on the person and genetics, though. 

Also - a "drink" isn't a "drink" for alcoholics. Or even heavy drinkers that can take it or leave it. I can get up to 5.5 with 2-3 heavy pours easily (but I've also never been an every day of the week drinker). I mean that's significantly less than a 375 mL bottle which is easy to put back in a night if you're just sitting around drinking. 

Or - think of it this way - go to the bar after work on a Friday and put back 3 doubles. There's your 5.5. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Although we only seem to really notice the Faulkner and VanZandt types, addicts usually are pretty talented in some way or another and generally pretty worthwhile people when not boiled as owls.

many, many talented people are afflicted with something that at times is quite debilitating. he was clearly talented.

I suspect a lot of men could do 5-6 (true) drinks per day without fatal consequences over the long term.  I know a lot of guys who drink that much and who are pushing late middle age or older.  It's not a healthy approach to life, and will probably lead (or coincide with) other bad lifestyle decisions, so I wouldn't expect them to make it to 100, but I don't know if many die prematurely from cirrhosis.

I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a dear friend that died at 54 from liver and kidney failure. the last 5 years he had his first drink the moment he rolled out of bed. It was not a shot of vodka, it was a guzzle straight from the bottle (had to be because he was drunk before he poured his coffee). Then he nursed that buzz all day long first with bailey's in his coffee. He was probably at 4-5 legit drinks in his system by 9am. 2-3 for lunch, a late afternoon refresher of 2 more, then dinner (3-4) and a night cap (2-3).  so let's call that as much as 17 drinks in a day.  that might be more of a weekend schedule so it could be 8-10 on a weekday.  but yeah, dying of liver and kidney failure by 50 requires a lot of drinking.  but most will hit a rock bottom before then that is probably just as bad. jail, killed someone, divorce and kids lost, financial ruin. and I'd wonder which is worse, the actual death or the ride to the hearse along the way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Well... it is a lot. But when it comes to peak consumption while drinking yourself to death that would definitely be on the low end for a normal sized American male. And from what I can gather he wasn't a big fat person with myriad other health issues. Plenty of people kill a fifth a day or more at the height of their alcoholism. That would be 3 times as much consumption. Would a handle a week as a rolling average over 20-25 years do the trick? Maybe. Probably. I'm just assuming his use was heavier in the last few years. 

Maybe an MD can chime in who has seen a lot of cases and has a better idea of what quantities are sustainable and for how long. Like anything, a lot of it depends on the person and genetics, though. 

Also - a "drink" isn't a "drink" for alcoholics. Or even heavy drinkers that can take it or leave it. I can get up to 5.5 with 2-3 heavy pours easily (but I've also never been an every day of the week drinker). I mean that's significantly less than a 375 mL bottle which is easy to put back in a night if you're just sitting around drinking. 

Or - think of it this way - go to the bar after work on a Friday and put back 3 doubles. There's your 5.5. 

Jesus Christ I got to dial back the drinking

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

My father-in-law is currently in hospice care at home due to alcoholism and has the wet-brain thing. He managed to make it to 76-- or 77?-- and birthday next week. My understanding is that the primary process killing him is his uncontrolled blood pressure. The alcohol has greatly weakened his body systems and mind, but also made him not give a shit to take care of himself as far as just taking his BP meds etc., which has been the case for quite a while now. Faced with the reality of death, he kept maintaining it was his own choice to keep drinking, not caring that his refusal to even try getting sober meant his wife became his full-time nurse. It's been part of my own wake-up call to drink a lot less for fear of just not giving a shit about myself or anyone else. 

Anyway, sorry to hear about MAC, he truly was a gifted writer and fascinating guy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

so let's call that as much as 17 drinks in a day.  that might be more of a weekend schedule so it could be 8-10 on a weekday.

17 is a fifth (in case anyone's curious). And I promise anyone hitting liquor first thing out of bed is topping 8 drinks throughout the day easily. That means they need to be drunk to fall asleep.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Jesus Christ I got to dial back the drinking

Always good to dial it back before your doctor tells you "you should dial it back".

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

At some point, and it appears that MAC was not there, there's something called "wet brain" or Korsakoff syndrome that results from lack of thiamine.  At that point, it doesn't take much alcohol to keep things "rolling."  

0D30CB7E-24CE-44F6-8A7F-DAB0F4945E12.thumb.png.75383b35b95625a4984312c6e44c59ee.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

’ve had several friends (including my best friend and law school buddy) die from long term booze or opioid use.

Same. It's usually not so much the opiods, but the acetominaphen mixed in with the prescription pain meds combined with the booze that really fuck up your liver.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I cleared that for about a decade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hate said:

I imagine that death is liberating for them.

Most drunks reach a point where the consequences (health, jobs, family/friends excommunication) becomes quite intolerable.  Exceeded only at that time by the prospect and reality of living without being fucked up all the time.  Sometimes death looks pretty good.  Other times knowing that's all that's left can provide something of a kick in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Oh you went there. My 3 favorite words from a certain book. Always elicits a chuckle.
  • Hook 'Em 3

At some point, and it appears that MAC was not there, there's something called "wet brain" or Korsakoff syndrome that results from lack of thiamine.  At that point, it doesn't take much alcohol to keep things "rolling."  

It killed my first and only AA girlfriend. Dead in a nursing home at 44. A beautiful blue eyed platinum blonde with the sweetest soul.

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

In the last 6 months of my drinking, I was averaging about a fifth to a liter of The Glenlivet daily.

My drinks were a large tervis tumbler full of ice then filled with scotch. Just like my daddy before me.

Pos rep for your drink of choice and all the work that you do on this thread!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

In the last 6 months of my drinking, I was averaging about a fifth to a liter of The Glenlivet daily.

My drinks were a large tervis tumbler full of ice then filled with scotch. Just like my daddy before me.

As you know my friend…It’s the consistency of doing it daily.  I lose my shit only about twice a month and have chilled a bit.  But milk thistle and working out between will save you.  

I could go though a gallon of whatever in 24 hrs along with a couple 8 balls and I was ok 48 hrs later.  But even 1/5 of that, but every damn day will wipe you out.  You’re either an addict or you aren’t.  I can have a drink at home and it just sits.  I’m a lucky asshole.  I’d definitely be dead if I was wired differently.  

And as someone said above, nobody can save an alcoholic but him or herself.  And that’s a sad fact.  Don’t blame yourselves.  Support and be there for your loved ones.  But don’t blame yourself when it goes south.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I don’t worry about you. I worry about @ztejas

You don't have to worry about me drinking myself into liver failure. I'll either quit before then or I'll kill myself or the state will keep me from drinking. I'm working on the former(most). 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

An aristocrat.

• Hook 'Em 1

My habit is a case of beer and a pint of whiskey every weekend. Sunday and Monday are recovery days. 8-12 beers Tuesday. Drinks at lunch Wednesday. 

The past few months the acid reflux has become an issue if i don't eat enough during the sprees. 

I turn 50 this year and have decided to live the last 1/3 of my life sober from that point. 

I may be in touch with some of you AA veterans.

Oh yea there's also the 8 ball and a hooker once a month. Thats more likely to kill me than booze but I've made my peace with that. 

Edited by MissingInAction
Hookers and blow.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My habit is a case of beer and a pint of whiskey every weekend. Sunday and Monday are recovery days. 8-12 beers Tuesday. Drinks at lunch Wednesday. 

The past few months the acid reflux has become an issue if i don't eat enough during the sprees. 

I turn 50 this year and have decided to live the last 1/3 of my life sober from that point. 

I may be in touch with some of you AA veterans.

Oh yea there's also the 8 ball and a hooker once a month. Thats more likely to kill me than booze but I've made my peace with that. 

I quit drinking over a year ago.  Was not hard for me as I do not have the addict gene, thankfully by the grace of God.  Otherwise I am pretty sure I would have been screwed.

Delta 8 seltzers are my drink of choice now.  When I first stopped, I was hammering about a 12 pack of those a week.  Now I am at maybe 2 a week when I drink them and often go weeks without.

I was drinking alcohol to feel good.  But it actually made me feel like shit.  And without it I feel so much better.  And my overall health and bloodwork has done a 180.  I'll never go back.

A friend of mine who was a similar drinker to me recommended a book called "Easy Way" about quitting drinking by Alan Carr (sp?).  All I know is that I read that book in one sitting and my desire to drink was gone.  I have never picked up another drink and never wanted one.  I did not read to book to even quit drinking.  I read it because my friend had quit a couple years earlier and he drank about like I did -- 4-5 drinks per night most nights.  And when I asked him how, he gave me that book.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• immamac unpinned this topic