MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread

Brisketexan

11 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

In the last 6 months of my drinking, I was averaging about a fifth to a liter of The Glenlivet daily.

My drinks were a large tervis tumbler full of ice then filled with scotch. Just like my daddy before me.

Not quite heroin expensive, but a decent monthly expence. (lessee….30 times fifth of Glenlivet equals… )

49 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Not quite heroin expensive, but a decent monthly expence. (lessee….30 times fifth of Glenlivet equals… )

It's like $1400 per month for the cheapest fifth I can find.  That's big timing it.  Nice humblebrag, @Gatorubet.  I don't think I could drink $200 of cheap macrobrew in a month.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's like $1400 per month for the cheapest fifth I can find.  That's big timing it.  Nice humblebrag, @Gatorubet.  I don't think I could drink $200 of cheap macrobrew in a month.

That is expensive. I have not paid for scotch in a while because my paralegal’s hubby is a bigwig liquor distributor. I get regular presents from her.  I am a lucky man. 

One of the common things to do in rehab and somewhat less so in AA is to have you examine the quantity and cost of the alcohol you drank.  It can be kind of alarming, but I'm not sure really the best way to demonstrate powerlessness and unmanageablity to the addict.

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

There's something about good whiskey where once I start there's no stopping until it's all gone. Why I only ever get a pint at a time right before the liqour stores close.

Or...you could start drinking REALLY shitty whiskey.  Makes it easier to stop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I used to dabble in single malts, but kinda lost the drive.  At one point I switched from beer to Crown, just because it took me a lot longer to drink 1.5 oz of whiskey than 12 ounces of beer.

And then it didn't take so long, and my Crown consumption skyrocketed.  That was concerning, so no more whiskey.  Beer is pretty effectively self-limiting.

I've saved a ton of money not drinking.  Especially at restaurants.  Instead of two bottles of wine, my wife will just usually order one by the glass.

Same. Lots of money from not drinking for 1042 days. And now I’m on Wegovy so I’m only ordering a fucking appetizer and I’m stuffed. I try to tip extra to make up for what the waiter would normally get. It’s still been quite a savings over the last three years.

I'm sure Texas Monthly and his family have some plans on what to do with his archives and papers.  I  hope they end up at UT somehow.  If anybody knows his kin, let me know if I can help.  

All I got is that I believe I once met him through a Texas Book Festival event via Texas Monthly mutual connections.  I haven't read a lot of his stuff but enjoyed what I have read.  He helped me early on last year when I started on fixing my own shit.  And I didn't know at the time the extent of his pain.  We exchanged some notes and he really put a spin on things that I think only he and I could understand.  And I am grateful for that tiny window of insight that unfortunately closed on him all too soon.  

God bless you MAC, rest easy, and shine on.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I'm sure Texas Monthly and his family have some plans on what to do with his archives and papers.  I  hope they end up at UT somehow.  If anybody knows his kin, let me know if I can help.  
All I got is that I believe I once met him through a Texas Book Festival event via Texas Monthly mutual connections.  I haven't read a lot of his stuff but enjoyed what I have read.  He helped me early on last year when I started on fixing my own shit.  And I didn't know at the time the extent of his pain.  We exchanged some notes and he really put a spin on things that I think only he and I could understand.  And I am grateful for that tiny window of insight that unfortunately closed on him all too soon.  
God bless you MAC, rest easy, and shine on.

That’s a good idea. Now’s maybe not the time to raise it, but soon enough, it’s worth a mention. The archive of his writing, from the Lomax name, and with real UT ties…I think it would be awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, certainly not the time...maybe later this year.  But the little that I've read...the Briscoe Center or the Barker Center.  Obviously Texas Monthly will take a lead on it, but it could be more deserving of an academic sense.  I dunno, whatever his family wants.  Knowing him, and I don't, maybe he left some thoughts on the matter.  Every good writer does.  I ain't saying shit, but you know me and you knew him---later this year, if we can  help fulfill his archival wishes---you know I'm in.  I owe him one in this lifetime and the next one.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• immamac unpinned this topic
On 5/26/2023 at 12:35 AM, BearSchlong said:

It killed my first and only AA girlfriend. Dead in a nursing home at 44. A beautiful blue eyed platinum blonde with the sweetest soul.

I lost a dear friend of mine at 32. I was shocked.

From John's dad, who is John III:

The Celebration of Life for John Nova Lomax will be held Sunday afternoon, September 17 at the Continental Club in Houston. More details will follow. Come help us honor the life and work of this most extraordinary man! Best, John Lomax III

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:27 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Been away for quite sometime(life). What a great writer and crazy that I never met him with so much overlapping history. RIP Nova!

What overlapping history would that be?  I used to get you two mixed up I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A note from MAC's father about the celebration of life:

John Nova's Celebration of Life attracted hundreds to the Continental Club last night and was a resounding success! Steve Earle sang 3 numbers and talked about John and his relationship, Shellyy Davis sang a couple, one specially written for the event, I got up and sang "Buffalo Skinners" so I can now say I've played the Continental Club and that Steve Earle opened for me!
The SOLE OF HOUSTON was presented and is now available. GFM contributors are entitled to a free copy, $25 + $5 shipping/handling for copies if you were not a GFM contributor. It's available now at BSig's Lagoon, Cactus Music and Brazos Books; I hope to get some into the houston Public Library System. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

A note from MAC's father about the celebration of life:
The SOLE OF HOUSTON was presented and is now available. GFM contributors are entitled to a free copy, $25 + $5 shipping/handling for copies if you were not a GFM contributor. It's available now at BSig's Lagoon, Cactus Music and Brazos Books; I hope to get some into the houston Public Library System. 

Well, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and also once banged a librarian, but I don’t have a good idea about how many copies were talking about to get them in all of the various Houston public library shelves.   If someone has an idea, I’d like to donate 100 bucks towards funding that effort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Well, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and also once banged a librarian, but I don’t have a good idea about how many copies were talking about to get them in all of the various Houston public library shelves.   If someone has an idea, I’d like to donate 100 bucks towards funding that effort. 

I’m sorry for the librarian. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’m sorry for the librarian. 

True story. I was at Florida when Ted Bundy killed the sorority girls at FSU. Matter of fact, I was in Tallahassee with my ATO brothers, doing a warm-up party for a social with the Chi Os the next day.  Anyway, I was also a part time employee of the University of Florida Library West system, and after the murders the women in Gainesville were naturally terrified and concerned.   

I was there to support and console a library staff member in her time of need. Anyway, nobody ever went to the colonial Spanish archives on the fourth floor.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, markstanco said:

Librarians need (missionary) sex too. 

Back in the day I dated a girl that was getting a Masters in Library Science degree from UT and she was a stone cold freak. Young Pescado, newly arrived from SE Texas was in waaay over his head. I learned a few things, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Back in the day I dated a girl that was getting a Masters in Library Science degree from UT and she was a stone cold freak. Young Pescado, newly arrived from SE Texas was in waaay over his head. I learned a few things, though. 

My ex-wife got her masters in Library Sciences at UT in the late 1990s. She was a freak when I met her while she was an English/Art History undergrad at Tech, but she later completely lost her libido after we had our kid.