MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread

Brisketexan

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Since his shit is officially on blast.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-nova-lomaxs-road-to-recovery

Another collection of short work here. Some of which appeared here as well. https://substack.com/@johnnovalomax

When they publish the book of his writings (per his pappa) I hope one of you lets us know.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

hate that some die to remind others to live.

It sucks so much.

I threw extra work at myself in an attempt to distract myself from thinking about it all day.

It didn't work. The hard reality came slamming back no matter how far I could throw it from me.

I'm going to miss him.

• Like 1

Spent part of today reading his work off and on when I had a chance, great story teller.  As others have said before for those of us who have been around since the first site, we aren’t getting any younger, take care of yourselves assholes.  RIP MAC and condolences to those close to him in real life. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, msbesq said:

He once wrote an article in the Houston Press about walking the length of Westheimer with a friend to discover the real Houston by walking through neighborhoods, shopping centers and office parks. He then decided to re-create the walk with any reader who wanted to join him. About six of us did and we spent a very enjoyable day with him, and yes, we stopped at a liquor store and two bars along the way. RIP.

Damn...I remember reading that article and loving it.  Rest easy 🤘

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's come to me now. His username on the old site was sweetjones.

Yeah this was the old handle from Shaggy. I remember him messaging me about an article he was considering writing about the extravagance of youth baseball about 7 years ago. I think I bored him on the topic of baseball bats regulations because he never wrote the article. lol

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, msbesq said:

He once wrote an article in the Houston Press about walking the length of Westheimer with a friend to discover the real Houston by walking through neighborhoods, shopping centers and office parks. He then decided to re-create the walk with any reader who wanted to join him. About six of us did and we spent a very enjoyable day with him, and yes, we stopped at a liquor store and two bars along the way. RIP.

RIP MAC.

Do you have a link for the article? I’m curious where he started and finished on Westheimer. 

Fuck. He was so entertaining, and he started posting much more again and started some pretty good threads that I thought he was recovering from whatever ailment Brisket has posted about. Why couldn't it have been a boring fuck that keeled over instead? Thanks for posting links to his writing. May he RIP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

RIP MAC.

Do you have a link for the article? I’m curious where he started and finished on Westheimer. 

He started at West Oaks Mall and finished at The Maple Leaf Bar. We started at Sylvia’s Enchiladas and also finished at The Maple Leaf Bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man. I'm so sad to hear this news and blown away to learn that one of my favorite writers at TM and Houston Press was a popular and prolific surly contributor.

I"m a nobody on twitter (and irl) but geronimolomax was one of my few followers and I especially appreciated his colorful thoughts on Houston, Austin, and our shared love of the Houston Astros. I was born just two months before him, attended HISD public schools spent my youth riding a bike around the Rice/Village area and my high school years in Montrose. Everything he wrote felt like it hit so close to home for me, a lot like Linklater's films. I wish I'd been lucky enough to have met him and called him a friend because he had a lot to say and a gift for saying it. 

For those here who knew him personally, I'm so sorry for your loss.

MAC will be missed.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, CHIEF said:

MAC is the great grandson of John Avery Lomax. His great grandparents and mine are buried in the same cemetery in Meridian, Texas. John Avery Lomax was a famous folklorist, and musicologist. He recorded old cowboy songs along the Chisholm Trail, as the cowboys sang them each night.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/literarylandmark/Lomax

https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196225  (Library of Congress)

My late father was infatuated with "cowboy music." We mostly communicated by Facebook, talked about his great grandfather, my father playing songs that his great grandfather had preserved, Meridian, and Bosque county. That was my home turf. He is a great guy, and a gifted journalist. He will be sorely missed.  

CHIEF

I did not know that. Was Alan Lomax his grandfather?

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Was his uncle. But his Dad (John Jr.) was into it as well. Just not as famous as his uncle.

CHIEF

Got it. Man that is a crazy connection, I never knew that. They brought Lead Belly to the world.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Wow.  Had no real idea about him other than his postings.  I have enjoyed reading some of the writing posted in this thread.  Regret I come to it so late.   It is of course a cliche, but  I  envy those who get to live on with the great work they leave behind for us as all.  From the article on his mother it appears he and I share the same birth month and year.   When I one day transition into cosmic dust I won't leave behind works that others will know me by.  Not that this is any less tragic, but maybe there is comfort for those who know and love him in that his voice will be around for longer than many of our voices.

Rest easy MAC, and sorry to all who know him personally.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Man, this really sucks. RIP.

He PMd me about using my post in his enchilada article.

https://texashighways.com/travel-news/for-the-best-enchiladas-in-texas-go-back-to-school-in-san-antonio/

I already had lunch today and that article still had my mouth watering.  I also saved the video he linked in the article to favorites.  Now I need to dive back into his articles to find other hidden gems.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Damn.  Count me among the admirers of his writing who did not know the MAC/Sweetjones connection until now.  RIP 

We should do the walk in his honor

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

Walk?  In Houston?  Are you daft?

It’s only 18 miles or 10 Houston blocks. 

• blacklab changed the title to MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread
  • immamac unpinned this topic