Military facing manpower shortages. Branches take different approaches...

He wanted to turn this into a CR thread then he doxxed my first name (which I don't give a fuck about) and a mod cleaned up some comments. 
C'est la vie. 
That's bullshit, Zorro my man, we like to keep private shit private. I mean you have the mask and shit, it's kind of front and center implied anonymity.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Why can't they take the obese ones and get them in shape through boot camp and drop them if they don't make weight?

Also, 6'3" 130 wtf was wrong with you?

In the marine corps they do. They put them in conditioning platoons. It extended their boot camp by weeks. I felt bad for those dudes because the standard 13 week boot camp was enough for me. 

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
59 minutes ago, ztejas said:
He wanted to turn this into a CR thread then he doxxed my first name (which I don't give a fuck about) and a mod cleaned up some comments. 
C'est la vie. 

That's bullshit, Zorro my man, we like to keep private shit private. I mean you have the mask and shit, it's kind of front and center implied anonymity.

Yeah well I think he got put in timeout for it. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

When my son was working with the recruiter (he was in excellent shape, worked in a lumberyard and went to the gym) the recruiting office was holding "get in shape" sessions at 0500 every morning.  They were out there with the prospective recruits, helping them have a chance to succeed. 

Think that’s pretty common. We were running regularly with the recruiters prior to leaving for boot camp. I’m sure it impacted their pay/bonus in some way. 

8 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

In the marine corps they do. They put them in conditioning platoons. It extended their boot camp by weeks. I felt bad for those dudes because the standard 13 week boot camp was enough for me. 

Pork Chop Platoon

Actually it was  Physical Conditioning Platoon, but of course it got renamed.

Yes.
Will add one caveat, counter to what I posted above related to obesity,  that just because you are physically unqualified to serve doesn't necessarily mean you're a fatbody.  Could be severe allergies or scoliosis or some shit.
Very true, when I recruited the smallest issue would require a waiver. Medical cost is the biggest drain on the military budget. So if you have sleep apnea, mental health, or asthma issues it's a nonstarter, we say go and talk to another service.

If we can't make our recruiting goals maybe we could help the Army make there's.

13 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

Uh, conditioning platoons isn't the preferred nomenclature. It's pork chop platoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

The AF does, if you fail 4 PT assessments in a 24-month period you will be discharged...95% of the time.

The AF just lowered their PT standards to near nothing last year. It's ridiculously easy and yet we still have people who can't pass. I'm 6'4" 255 and would pass it without any issues before they lowered standards.

So the AF is having to buy bigger chairs?  

So the AF is having to buy bigger chairs?  
What else are we gonna do with EOY fall out funds.
Do they just WFH these days?
We never did and I was in a training command. Which was crazy when you think about it but I don't care to be honest. I can YouTube at work or home
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

Yeah, same in the 1980s Army. It was called Bravo Company or "The Fat Boy Club" and you got shuttled there if you didn't pass the laughable minimum of 7 pushups. I could do a million sit-ups, run like a gazelle, and "thought" I was knocking out 40-50 real pushups at home before I went to basic, but my gym class flexes were not proper ARRRRRRmy pushups so whoosh, off I went to Bravo Company until I could do 20 correctly.

It was 3/4 fat boys and 1/4 skinny. all with bad pushup technique. We ate right, worked out, played football, ran, ran, ran, and occasionally got actual military instructions by our drills who seemed to be between "real" Drill Sergeant assignments. I bulked up a little, figured out how I was supposed to do them, and got better, though to this day pushups are my weak spot and I would rather run up a hill carrying a load of bricks than do 10 pushups. So I passed the pushup test, cool, then sat around for two extra weeks exercising in Bravo Comapany while we waited for a new training intake to start "across the road."

When that did, I shipped across post to my Cav Scout AIT Troop (13-week combo of Basic and Advanced Individual (scouty scout) training. To find out it was fucking ZERO WEEK and it didn't count, and instead of training we were slaves to the supply sergeant or whoever else needed labor. Then we had another zero week while we filled our numbers. Finally, real training started.

By the time it ended, my original 13-week stint had stretched from January to June.

6'3" and 153 at my first weigh-in. Gained about 12 pounds by graduation. My name in my first unit was Stringbean.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah, same in the 1980s Army. It was called Bravo Company or "The Fat Boy Club" and you got shuttled there if you didn't pass the laughable minimum of 7 pushups. I could do a million sit-ups, run like a gazelle, and "thought" I was knocking out 40-50 real pushups at home before I went to basic, but my gym class flexes were not proper ARRRRRRmy pushups so whoosh, off I went to Bravo Company until I could do 20 correctly.

It was 3/4 fat boys and 1/4 skinny. all with bad pushup technique. We ate right, worked out, played football, ran, ran, ran, and occasionally got actual military instructions by our drills who seemed to be between "real" Drill Sergeant assignments. I bulked up a little, figured out how I was supposed to do them, and got better, though to this day pushups are my weak spot and I would rather run up a hill carrying a load of bricks than do 10 pushups. So I passed the pushup test, cool, then sat around for two extra weeks exercising in Bravo Comapany while we waited for a new training intake to start "across the road."

When that did, I shipped across post to my Cav Scout AIT Troop (13-week combo of Basic and Advanced Individual (scouty scout) training. To find out it was fucking ZERO WEEK and it didn't count, and instead of training we were slaves to the supply sergeant or whoever else needed labor. Then we had another zero week while we filled our numbers. Finally, real training started.

By the time it ended, my original 13-week stint had stretched from January to June.

6'3" and 153 at my first weigh-in. Gained about 12 pounds by graduation. My name in my first unit was Stringbean.

I remember when I got to Ft. Knox for intake and saw the fatty platoon lined up in front of the mess hall slamming their entire canteen before they would let them go eat.  Filled 'em up I suppose.  I felt for those guys for the reasons above.  It's better to get to your regular training cycle late than early.

• Fuck You 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Felix said:

I remember when I got to Ft. Knox for intake and saw the fatty platoon lined up in front of the mess hall slamming their entire canteen before they would let them go eat.  Filled 'em up I suppose.  I felt for those guys for the reasons above.  It's better to get to your regular training cycle late than early.

Happy part of story is that almost all the guys I was in that with did fine in Basic later.

Alpha Platoon was the one you didn't want to be in. The Hidden Criminal Background Gang. They had to run around playing Army for a few weeks then they got kicked out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I played a lot of golf at the Air Force base down the road from us. I typically shot mid to high 70’s. In navy tournaments/scrambles I was always the A player.  At the Tuesday afternoon scramble at the AF base I was always the D player. If your team didn’t  shoot 11 under on 9 holes you weren’t winning. Those Air Force fuckers played a lot of golf. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

C'est la vie. 

I didn’t dox you or anything I just called you by your name just like I did Iceman. Sorry if you feel doxxed with your super unique first name you’ve shared many times lol. 

My FIL passed all his medicals going into AF after playing D3 football, then after a couple years they found the cartilage in both his knees was so shredded he needed bilateral knee replacements. He put off the total knees until he was 35, but until then they had put him on the forward command setup squad, managing install crews for electrical and HVAC. After the surgery, they made him a recruiter and let him live in his original hometown until he hit his years for full retirement and benefits. It was a hell of a gig for him. 

He expects my sons to be flight surgeons before going into private practice and is hatching a plan to get AF to pay for their undergrad and med school. More power to him if he can swing it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:31 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 6/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, Gil Bang said:
The Army requires a 10 year contract for aviators now.  They are tired of training pilots for the airlines. 

AF is the same way, and when that 10 years is up they try to keep you by way of a career bonus that can be $260k.

they should make those bonuses tax free 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

He expects my sons to be flight surgeons before going into private practice and is hatching a plan to get AF to pay for their undergrad and med school. More power to him if he can swing it. 

The AF has put my oldest son through under grad. I've spent like nothing in the last 4 years and have been able to roll over his TTF fund to another sibling. He does owe the Air Force a few years of service after being commissioned.

I dated a chick that was an AF dentist and she also had to serve a number of years to pay off Dental school.

Under grad and medical school will likely mean your kids will need to sign away a big chunk of the life to the Air Force.