2023 DL Sydir Mitchell

Getafix

As much as I love to hear about 5 star QBs and fast receivers, etc.  Guys like this is what will bring Texas back at that 10 win total on a regular basis.  Such a limited number of players that can do what he can do.  Arch is the rainmaker no doubt.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watched OB's Overreaction Monday podcast earlier today & Ketch said that UT getting Mitchell doesn't move him because he considers Mitchell a player that needs be in the weight room 2-3 years before he ever sees the field. Ehhhh...do y'all agree with that?

Screenshot_20220704-173646_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a30324eeaa1b08a13ce5eef2e13feec4.jpg

You can stop right there. No

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watched OB's Overreaction Monday podcast earlier today & Ketch said that UT getting Mitchell doesn't move him because he considers Mitchell a player that needs be in the weight room 2-3 years before he ever sees the field. Ehhhh...do y'all agree with that?

You're seriously asking Surly about what Ketch said -- a guy who considers the following a workout ?

This is a kid I really want to see.  He reminds me so much of Casey Hampton except he is a couple inches taller.  Now it's always a stretch to compare as incoming freshman, to a great like Casey Hampton.  But that's what the internet is for!  But this kid seems to have the athleticism as well as Casey's bowling ball physique, again on a larger frame.  So damnit, I can dream, and so can Sydir!  I sure as hell hope that in a year or two the kid's nickname is "BiG Casey!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How he fits at Texas: Sydir Mitchell is the sort of defensive tackle who’d help make a 2-4-5 scheme really work for a variety of different linebackers around him. He’s a big, traditional 2-gapper who can play on a guard as a 2i-technique nose or a 3-technique and play both the A-gap and the B-gap from either alignment. Obviously, he could also play as a 0-technique nose in a 3-down front. With a long, massive guy like this stacking O-linemen it should make run defense straightforward. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says: Strengths – Tall and imposing. Has great height, arm length, and bulk for an interior defensive lineman, but reminds me of an old-school 3-4 end. Most film is at the 3-tech, but probably could play 0 or 5 as well. Very quick off the ball with surprisingly good lateral movement. Plays with active hands and excellent upper body strength. Stacks and sheds the blockers effectively, with pads square to the line most of the time. Plays with great leverage and will ride that blocker to the play. Extends the arms frequently and will use an effective push-pull to knock the lineman off balance. Plays head up. Locates the ball and diagnoses the play really well. Saw a hint of a rip move and a swim on a few highlights. Has a really nice interception on a screen pass showing great awareness and soft hands. Looks high-motor on his film and opponents. Played at a traditional NJ football power and shows at least a few highlights against legitimately college size offensive linemen. You won’t find bad tape on him anywhere — I tried.

Areas for Improvement – Plays initially out of a fairly narrow stance. Gets upright vs the double team and will give up the leverage early. Needs a strategy: either get low and wide to create a pile or get skinny and split the double. 

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/sydir-mitchell-commits-to-the-texas-longhorns/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:34 AM, LTtxfan said:

DEFENSE... DEFENSE... DEFENSE !!!  🤘 

giphy.gif

oh-yeah.gif

ALL OF THIS. Keep ‘em coming. 
I want Texas to win with DEFENSE. 
I’m sick of worrying if they can outscore opponents in the 4th Qtr every damn game.

BIG HUMANS = run stoppers. 

Fast Ass Edges = containment.

Quick Diagnostic LB’s = limited liability in the flats = 3rd Down STOPS. 

Elite DB’s aka Ball Hawks= no fly zones.

I want TEXAS DEFENSE to mean something, again. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

ALL OF THIS. Keep ‘em coming. 
I want Texas to win with DEFENSE. 
I’m sick of worrying if they can outscore opponents in the 4th Qtr every damn game.

BIG HUMANS = run stoppers. 

Fast Ass Edges = containment.

Quick Diagnostic LB’s = limited liability in the flats = 3rd Down STOPS. 

Elite DB’s aka Ball Hawks= no fly zones.

I want TEXAS DEFENSE to mean something, again. 

Like a more coherent Daddy98

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

It’s going to be amazing when he gets a much deserved ratings bump.  Gerry had mentioned that he was at the top of the board for NT for lot of SEC schools and Cristobal as well.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets put into the top 50 prospects at the next ratings release by ON3

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

It’s going to be amazing when he gets a much deserved ratings bump.  Gerry had mentioned that he was at the top of the board for NT for lot of SEC schools and Cristobal as well.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets put into the top 50 prospects at the next ratings release by ON3

fuckin BOMC

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

He's currently a mid 3* on On3.  4* on Rivals, but not in the 250.  ESPN has him pretty high at #148 in the nation.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Pay Bo Davis his money!  And Sark, too. Holy Cow he's been on a tear around the country over the last 2-3 weeks.  He must be waking up wondering where the hell he is every morning.

Davis just lost a 4-star commit to a high school coach in Lubbock.  

• 1 month later...

Mitchell arrives on the UT campus after several other national powers, notably Georgia, wanted to keep him closer to the East Coast. Thanks to New Jersey connections from offensive coordinator Kyle Flood and tenacious recruiting by Bo Davis, Mitchell decided Texas was where he wanted to be in what Gerry Hamilton likes to call a “through the whistle” recruitment.

Senior highlights from the Under Armour All-American show an advanced ability versus the run. He keeps a solid pad level while engaging with (often undersized) blockers before using his strength and motor to track the ball-carrier. A lot of big guys with Mitchell’s strength just like to go forward using their weight to dominate blockers. Mitchell is adept at using skill and strength to get into position to track runners.

What his film doesn’t show much of is pass-rush ability. There aren’t a ton of high level offensive linemen in New Jersey, and in matchups with fellow state finalist Don Bosco Prep, Mitchell didn’t have to work often versus Texas A&M signee Chase Bisontis. Even so, extensive high quality pass-rush reps aren’t evident in his film.

Mitchell could see the field early as a two-down player, but if he wants to be a regular member of the rotation he needs to work with Davis on pass-rush technique.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/syllabus-week-what-sydir-mitchell-deandre-moore-jr-and-malik-muhammad-need-to-work-on/

• Hook 'Em 2