Southampton 2022-23: Youth Will Be Served, maybe

yoladu

its the hope that kills you.

Southampton on 23 points - need to get to 36 points to possibly have a chance. So 13 points needed with 9 matches left.

• City (h)  L
  • Palace (h) W
  • Arsenal (a) L
  • Bournemouth (h) W
  • Newcastle (a) L
  • Forest (a) W
  • Fulham (h) W
  • Brighton (a) L
  • Liverpool (h) D

There is not reason for me to offer that Saints get 4 wins in 9 games, after only getting 6 in the past 29.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 11:41 AM, yoladu said:

its the hope that kills you.

Southampton on 23 points - need to get to 36 points to possibly have a chance. So 13 points needed with 9 matches left.

• City (h)  L
  • Palace (h) W
  • Arsenal (a) L
  • Bournemouth (h) W
  • Newcastle (a) L
  • Forest (a) W
  • Fulham (h) W
  • Brighton (a) L
  • Liverpool (h) D

There is not reason for me to offer that Saints get 4 wins in 9 games, after only getting 6 in the past 29.

well that aged well.. needed 6 points from those first 4 games - got 1.

Cosmo Kramer Seinfeld GIF - Cosmo Kramer Seinfeld Im Out - Discover & Share  GIFs

97% chance of relegation.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

22 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

They get this guy back from loan, or maybe they sell this guy I dunno

Will probably sell him.. could get up to £25mil for him possibly.

Some people were calling for him to be called back during the winter from his loan to help with Saints offensive woes, but he had 2 goals in 3 years at the club previous to the loan spell. He really is unproven in the top tier.

Regardless, he will want to push on and sign with Burnley. I dont blame him.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that’s that. Relegated.  11 seasons in the PL.

really felt we were building something back in the mid to late 2010s, but it all got dismantled  

this team is not going to come back up anytime soon. hell, we drew with Lincoln City and lost to Grimsby Town this year  

As weird as it sounds - personally, my lifestyle/weekends are going to be much different now. 

Edited by yoladu

The pundits and articles I read point to the team having too many young players, not enough experience and the most talented players didn't score any goals in any meaningful games. The did another Fifa Career Mode type of deal where they signed one of the fastest players in football anywhere in the world, then they guy didn't contribute much. Theo Walcott looked really fast when he was young, but that was almost 20 years ago. They will be one division above Portsmouth for at least another year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yoladu said:

Well that’s that. Relegated.  11 seasons in the PL.

really felt we were building something back in the mid to late 2010s, but it all got dismantled  

this team is not going to come back up anytime soon. hell, we drew with Lincoln City and lost to Grimsby Town this year  

As weird as it sounds - personally, my lifestyle/weekends are going to be much different now. 

Don't let it change your weekends too much. The Championship is still a really fun league and there's not an automatic loss on the schedule all year.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Don't let it change your weekends too much. The Championship is still a really fun league and there's not an automatic loss on the schedule all year.

We'll see. I still have no inkling on how many opportunities there will be to see Southampton matches in the Championship.

The commentators on Peacock mentioned several times that it would be "interesting" to see how many of the starting 11 will be with the Saints after the summer. They said it at least twice before I started doing stuff around the house and couldn't hear the commentary anymore.

19 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

The commentators on Peacock mentioned several times that it would be "interesting" to see how many of the starting 11 will be with the Saints after the summer. They said it at least twice before I started doing stuff around the house and couldn't hear the commentary anymore.

Saints have a bloated squad. Way too many players. We bought and bought (badly) in the last 18 months trying to find a starting XI that could keep us in the PL and it failed miserably. Additionally, due to having so many U21 players, Saints were able to get around the 25 player squad limit.

It sowed discontent in the locker room as well, having so many players around who weren't even making the bench on game day. The squad is so big they had to create an auxillary locker room to handle the number of players, which literally divided the team.

there is going to be a purge.