So who all has had rotator cuff surgery here?

markstanco

Just curious of your stories. Mine is likely similar. I slept for 3 hours a night for 2 months and would close my office door for 90 minutes a day to sleep.

Anyhow my point is I am 2 years post and lifting weights to get back. I tore my left up and as a right hand golfer and putting for eagle on the golf course was a goal and I did it on a 550 hole. So there is that. Also throwing a 30 yard pass to my 13 year old was a goal and got that too. Its an ugly spiral though. But I will say every single movement on my left arm I think about it. It really is the worst injury ever. Yea I know I had a post 2 years ago about it when it happened, but curious about those of you years later.

For me, 2 years post surgery, I am doing a lot of free weights. Actually I am fond of the 12 pound dumbbell while watching tv. I’ll lift 3 sets of 6 of 135 with a good rest between per what I read on the internet. Just looking for any tips on those of you who have gone through this.

I did something to my right shoulder back in the 90's trying to throw a baseball from RF to home. It didn't make 3rd base. Pretty sure it was my rotator cuff. Reaching up and behind it feels like I have a knife stuck in there.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

I did something to my right shoulder back in the 90's trying to throw a baseball from RF to home. It didn't make 3rd base. Pretty sure it was my rotator cuff. Reaching up and behind it feels like I have a knife stuck in there.

Did you want the ball from RF to home to wind up near 3rd base?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had 4 knee surgery's and one rotator cuff surgery......the rotator surg was worse that the cumulative of all 4 knee surgery's, shoulder surgery is bad.  

I go to the gym regularly and shoulder is in like new condition.  I do NOT put a lot of stress on it for fear of doing that shit again.  Light, high rep bench press and lots of push ups. 

I'm not out there trying to throw 98 mph fastballs and shit either.   Did I mention that I never wanna have shoulder surgery again?

• Hook 'Em 2

I have had a lot of surgeries.  Multiple knee, hips replaced, 3/4 disc replacement, etc...  Rotator cuff was by far the worst.  Hurt the most and longest recovery.  2 years out last month.  Can play golf, tennis(75% serve) and anything I want to do.  It is nowhere near as strong as it used to be.  No pain but maybe 50% strength.  

I used to be able to sling a ball around until about 10 Years ago. I’m sure I fucked something up doing pull ups in Marines . Because Playin outfield or 3rd is a killer during co Ed Sball. 
I had to change the way I throw and my shit is weak. 

I never went to see a doctor. And I’m scared too. I don’t wanna be out of commission for any time to repair. 
im dumb 

What are the symptoms of a torn rotator cuff? I have had significant shoulder pain for 4 months. I can barely raise my left arm about halfway. I have to put in quite a bit of effort to extend my arm all the way up. I can’t even tell where the pain actually radiates from. It’s difficult to pinpoint but it’s from the deltoid, to the tricep, and sometimes down the nerve to my elbow.

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

What are the symptoms of a torn rotator cuff? I have had significant shoulder pain for 4 months. I can barely raise my left arm about halfway. I have to put in quite a bit of effort to extend my arm all the way up. I can’t even tell where the pain actually radiates from. It’s difficult to pinpoint but it’s from the deltoid, to the tricep, and sometimes down the nerve to my elbow.

Same question on what symptoms are.  I can still do a push up and yoga so i have that going for me...but I have constant dull pain (like a 3 out of 10 scale) in my right shoulder.  Been like this for years.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

56 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Same question on what symptoms are.  I can still do a push up and yoga so i have that going for me...but I have constant dull pain (like a 3 out of 10 scale) in my right shoulder.  Been like this for years.

Towards the front just before the deltoid joins the pectoral muscle near the end of the collar bone.  Sharp pain, lots of difficulty raising arm. Strangely enough,  if I kept my arm bent all the way at the elbow it was much less painful raising my arms.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Not a dr but might be this:

Frozen shoulder typically occurs as a result of shoulder pain that causes you to stop moving and restrict your own motion. With decreased motion, the inflammation in your shoulder actually gets worse as it permeates the soft tissues of your shoulder, which then contract much like the effects of a burn patient. As the tissue becomes stiffer and more non-pliable, you continue to move it less and less, further exacerbating the issue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, CooterBrown said:

I am not sure of the exact symptoms.  But most everyone (including me) put off the surgery until they could not sleep much.  It is normal to put your arm over your head during sleep.  But with shoulder problems,  this position wakes you up and your shoulder on FIRE, thus prohibiting your sleep and affecting your daily work.   

I usually try to get needed surgery as quickly as possible to get it out of the way.....not this one.  It's that bad (for me).  

Edited by Doze

On 7/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Doze said:

I am not sure of the exact symptoms.  But most everyone (including me) put off the surgery until they could not sleep much.  It is normal to put your arm over your head during sleep.  But with shoulder problems,  this position wakes you up and your shoulder on FIRE, thus prohibiting your sleep and affecting your daily work.   

I usually try to get needed surgery as quickly as possible to get it out of the way.....not this one.  It's that bad (for me).  

Just how much poor health are you in to have to get needed surgery out of the way quickly? Sounds like this is a frequent thing for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Just how much poor health are you in to have to get needed surgery out of the way quickly? Sounds like this is a frequent thing for you.

LOL. I just read what I wrote.  I was never in "poor health".   I'm just a dumbass & raced motocross a bunch back in the day.  

jump-pendejo.gif

Sounds like you need a cat scan

On 7/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Doze said:

Guilty  x 3

Had to have shoulder replacement on my left shoulder after a car accident. 6 months of PT three times a week. I slept on an incline for nearly a year because I couldn't lay flat. Over a year before I could sleep on either side. Even the therapist told me that recovery from shoulder surgery is the worst. Even worse if it's caused by trauma.

Had right shoulder done in December.  Relatively pain free now unless I try to throw or bench.  Can do light weights with other exercises.  First few months post surgery were a total bitch.  

If you can, try to solve the problem with rehab first because surgery on a shoulder should be an absolute last resort.

• Like 1

left TSA (total shoulder replacement) with BTP on March 25 of this year, PT x 2 per week since then, cleared just last week.  back to benching 135 x 10 x 3 and building each week, but it still hurts after a work out.  range of motion is incomparable...i can literally pull down the collar on my shirts, something impossible to do for years.  but...honestly...weeks 2 through 6 post-surgery were straight up suck.  i was regretting the fuck out of doing it, but not anymore.

but on Oct. 7, i'm scheduled to do the same surgery on my right shoulder.  so yay me?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Pulled into my driveway this morning and there was the carcass of a blowout in the middle of it. Got out, grabbed it with my right arm and flung it 10 ft into the ditch. I also screamed like a little bitch. JFC my shoulder huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrt. Hoping it's just bursitis, but I gotta see somebody about this or learn how to switch hit.

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Pulled into my driveway this morning and there was the carcass of a blowout in the middle of it. Got out, grabbed it with my right arm and flung it 10 ft into the ditch. I also screamed like a little bitch. JFC my shoulder huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrt. Hoping it's just bursitis, but I gotta see somebody about this or learn how to switch hit.

a) Carcass of a blowout?

b) Sounds like rotator cuff. No bueno. 
c) Switch-hitting is very trendy these days. You should have some success. Not for me, but good for you. Be careful out there. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Lol, I can relate to that. First time I realized for sure that I had a rotator cuff problem (despite having a problematic shoulder for years) was when I was going to cut up a downed tree in my  back yard. First pull on the chainsaw and pow, screamed like a bitch and dove behind the tree before my wife could look out the kitchen window and see me.  I rolled around in the grass  4-5 minutes before collecting myself and getting up.......

"Noise? What noise? No I didn't hear a scream, it must have been on the television"

Edited by SHOOTER12

20 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Lol, I can relate to that. First time I realized for sure that I had a rotator cuff problem (despite having a problematic shoulder for years) was when I was going to cut up a downed tree in my  back yard. First pull on the chainsaw and pow, screamed like a bitch and dove behind the tree before my wife could look out the kitchen window and see me.  I rolled around in the grass  4-5 minutes before collecting myself and getting up.......

"Noise? What noise? No I didn't hear a scream, it must have been on the television"

Two days ago, I shot an armadillo from the back deck at 5 am. My firing position was 5 feet from our master bedroom window. 15 feet from Mrs NNM asleep in bed (no pics). Two shots. 
When she got up about half an hour later, I apologized for the gunshots waking her up. <“what gunshots?”>. SMH. 

• Haha 1