NEW Texas Athletics Exclusive Beer Partner

BurntOrange&White

Texas Longhorns athletics adds new exclusive beer sponsor

Joe Cook•7 minutes

Article written by:Joe Cook

josephcook89

(Photo by Adam Davis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Anheuser-Busch announced Thursday it has entered an agreement to become the exclusive domestic and craft beer sponsor of the Texas Longhorns athletic department, the Texas Exes, and the AT&T Red River Showdown. The agreement, which lasts for five years, “unites iconic brands who share a mission to build meaningful connections with sports fans on game day and enhance the in-stadium experience,” per a statement.

[Get a FREE 7-day trial of Inside Texas Plus!]

“We are so grateful for the commitment and support from our friends at Anheuser-Busch and Brown Distributing,” Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said. “Their passion and pride for Texas Athletics and our Longhorns is such an important part of this. They’re just a fantastic group of folks who are awesome to work with and will absolutely share our devotion to our great Texas fans everywhere. We’re so excited to welcome Anheuser-Busch to Longhorn Nation as an official sponsor.”

Anheuser-Busch also announced they would release limited-edition co-branded Texas Longhorns packaging in various sizes beginning on September 1.

“As our portfolio continues to grow and consumer passion points evolve, it’s critical that we are investing in new occasions and relationships to help us deepen the connections between our brands and the fans,” Anheuser-Busch head of sports marketing Matt Davis said. “The Texas Longhorns have a deep and passionate fanbase that allows us to excite fans in new ways in Texas and beyond.”

Anheuser-Busch will have an increased presence on Bevo Blvd. in addition to exclusive in-stadium advertising rights for domestic and craft beer. The press release also said A-B will have “non-exclusive rights for ready-to-drink canned cocktail beverages and brand visibility through multiple university platforms, including videoboard and field level signage, balcony LED ribbons, concourse level activations, and Longhorns media and broadcast integrations across social, digital, print, tv, and radio.”

“Having been the Anheuser-Busch distributor in Austin for 60 years, we know firsthand the incredible passion that Texans have for their home teams,” said Brown Distributing vice president Laurie Brown. “Brown Distributing is thrilled to be partnering with Anheuser-Busch on this sponsorship of Texas Athletics, and we can’t wait to help make the game day experience a little sweeter for 21+ fans.”

UT, Anheuser-Busch, and Brown Distributing noted they will support efforts to drink responsibly by bringing its “Decide to Ride” campaign to game days.

Texas made alcohol-related news earlier in the year when the philanthropic arm of Tito’s Handmade Vodka donated $20 million to the UT athletic department.

Failure by CDC? A-B sucks.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to NEW Texas Athletics Exclusive Beer Partner

Was just coming here to shake my fist at the clouds too...I would say poor sight by cdc but UT was obviously money whipped here for that "exclusive". Don't worry they'll say, plenty of great craft options from brands like karbach

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Austin Beerworks doesn't have the marketing budget to compete with Anheuser Busch. OSU is sponsored by AB also but the concessions have the local Iron Monk beers for like a dollar extra.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Was just coming here to shake my fist at the clouds too...I would say poor sight by cdc but UT was obviously money whipped here for that "exclusive". Don't worry they'll say, plenty of great craft options from brands like karbach

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Karbach is distributed by A-B?

Brown Distro was UT's exclusive distributing partner before this deal (which includes craft brands like Pinthouse and Eastciders in their portfolio), so I'm not sure what exactly changes other than they can upsell a tallboy because its UT branded to a bunch of philistines. You can still get your $75 plastic cup of Jellyfish at a Kings of Leon concert, bros.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised anyone broke Lebermann's Centex hold on things UT.  But I haven't followed and Lebermann's been dead for quite a while now.

Googling around, I see that Centex was acquired in 2011, so I guess that would do it.

I also found this, https://centexenergydrink.com/, home of

rs=w:500,h:476

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Drool 2

32 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Brown Distro was UT's exclusive distributing partner before this deal (which includes craft brands like Pinthouse and Eastciders in their portfolio), so I'm not sure what exactly changes other than they can upsell a tallboy because its UT branded to a bunch of philistines. You can still get your $75 plastic cup of Jellyfish at a Kings of Leon concert, bros.

Mo money from the national brand is I think the principal change.  And A-B might be a little more hostile to non-A-B brands from Brown on the UT contract.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm surprised anyone broke Lebermann's Centex hold on things UT.  But I haven't followed and Lebermann's been dead for quite a while now.

Googling around, I see that Centex was acquired in 2011, so I guess that would do it.

I also found this, https://centexenergydrink.com/, home of

rs=w:500,h:476

Our shop manager has one of these on a shelf in his office.  I about fell over first time I picked it up and read the can. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For at least 2-3 years now.

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

A-B bought Karbach 5-6 years ago

Then... why in the ever loving fuckity shit can't I get it here in San Diego

Seriously ... What's the good of getting bought out by a massive insanely huge international gigacorporation if you can't get the good stuff distributed across three measly state lines?

Call the Bandit. We're not done bringing back the 1970s. We already brought back insane gas prices, stagflation, a weak-ass Democrat replacing a criminal-ass Republican, Russia invading another country only to get their shit kicked in, overt racism and rampant teen drug use. It's time for interstate beer smuggling to make a comeback!

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Then... why in the ever loving fuckity shit can't I get it here in San Diego

Seriously ... What's the good of getting bought out by a massive insanely huge international gigacorporation if you can't get the good stuff distributed across three measly state lines?

Call the Bandit. We're not done bringing back the 1970s. We already brought back insane gas prices, stagflation, a weak-ass Democrat replacing a criminal-ass Republican, Russia invading another country only to get their shit kicked in, overt racism and rampant teen drug use. It's time for interstate beer smuggling to make a comeback!

smokey and the bandit GIF by hero0fwar

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Too many carbs even for a big ol fat person? 

Nah, just all the little logos and sayings on it.  Drink that poosay juice, so delicious, etc.  I always noticed it but never really looked close, and definitely never read it.  In his defense, it was the guy before him that drug up and left it. I got the impression new guy ever read or studied the can. 

Edit: Mr. Unathletic Athletic board poster.

Seems appropriate for this thread.

those who can do, do

those who can’t, teach

those who can’t do or teach, post.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 1

We're splitting hairs bitching about this, no alcohol is sold at all in the Swamp and many other college stadiums. Bud Lite is piss but they will have some alternatives. Maybe more Shaggy posters will get a proper tailgate buzz and just coast though the game drinking water and a Stella. Could be a good thing. Plus there's a reason why God invented flasks.

These upcoming years gonna be so good we will want to remember the mammaries.

beyoncelonghorn3-1024x876.jpg