Boo fucking Hoo Brittney Griner

Gil Bang

13 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It’s pretty ridiculous and infantile when you boil it down to this, but the flag represents him and his livelihood, and kneeling is the ultimate disrespect to him. Getting pissed off about it is caveman behavior. 

Also, your dad was banging a massive whore. 

pulp fiction i dont remember asking you a goddamn thing GIF

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

When I saw this was 3 pages in a few hours I knew it had to be slorch'd.

It amazes me anyone actually believes she had a vape pen on her and took it to Russia when 

1) she was detained exactly 1 week before the invasion began 

2) by a dictator who knew he was about to face some of the most severe sanctions in recent times and was looking to take high profile American hostages for leverage. 

Some of you are really fucking stupid. 

You know who else is really fucking stupid?  Griner for still being in Russia when it was beyond clear it was not a good place for any American to be and this was a clear risk she frankly assumed.   We had a damn Surly thread analyzing that risk daily for fucking months leading up to her arrest.   I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get her out.   But it's beyond fucking irresponsible of any American to be in Russia at any point in 2022 much less someone with name recognition.   I'll add - clearly these trafficking charges are BS but are we really going to put it past someone fucking stupid enough to be in Russia to not also still be carrying a vape pen?  I'm not convinced at all the pen was planted if that is what your position is.  It's possible but also something a stupid person would do.

Edited by Skipper

15 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m admittedly having a little fun watching her eat this helping of humble pie. She’s been arrested for domestic violence and tried to skip out on paying child support, she’s just not a good person. 

Fair enough, but the "shE hATeS aMERICA" trope is pure racism. And regardless of whether she's a "good" or "bad" person in other respects, nobody deserves what she's going through for a little THC vape oil. She's very much facing excessive charges because of the timing at the start of Russia's attack on Ukraine. That part is pretty important regardless of whether you like her or not for whatever reason. It's never right to cave to bad foreign leaders for stuff like this as part of an unjust war. Her status as a political prisoner, in my opinion, is less about whether she broke a Russian law (she very likely did) but the timing, excessiveness, and demands for prisoner exchange has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with international politics from a madman who is trying to extinguish an entire nation of people for no good reason whatsoever.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 5

Christ, she was playing basketball in Russia during the off season, something she’s done for years.  She’s well known over there.  

This isn’t some random ass texan just saying “herp derp, I’m going to Russia.” 

She’s a “celebrity” in America, she’s well known in Russia.  Putin/Russian knew exactly what they was doing when they decided to detain her. 

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So is getting pissed off for those who protest a symbol (the flag), which is the very freedom his dad and other have fought for Americans to have the right to do if they so choose. 

If certain “folks” decide that those who protest for whatever reason by not singing the national anthem, kneel at the flag, or don’t even put their hands over their hearts are all of a sudden trash and anti-American, then those same “folks” should understand they are no different than North Koreans. 

Those in the service fought for our freedoms to celebrate and to protest.  They didn’t fight for our freedom to ONLY do what they believe is the correct form of freedom. And if they do believe that, then this country is a bunch of hypocrites and should be shut the fuck down. 

I don’t know what you’re blathering about but you seemed to be ready to jump on me. The caveman behavior I reference is people incensed that athletes of color protest. 

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You know who else is really fucking stupid?  Griner for still being in Russia when it was beyond clear it was not a good place for any American to be and this was a clear risk she frankly assumed.   We had a damn Surly thread analyzing that risk daily for fucking months leading up to her arrest.   I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get her out.   But it's beyond fucking irresponsible of any American to be in Russia at any point in 2022 much less someone with name recognition.   I'll add - clearly these trafficking charges are BS but are we really going to put it past someone fucking stupid enough to be in Russia to not also still be carrying a vape pen?  I'm not convinced at all the pen was planted if that is what your position is.  It's possible but also something a stupid person would do.

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Christ, she was playing basketball in Russia during the off season, something she’s done for years.  She’s well known over there.  

This isn’t some random ass texan just saying “herp derp, I’m going to Russia.” 

She’s a “celebrity” in America, she’s well known in Russia.  Putin/Russian knew exactly what they was doing when they decided to detain her. 

I mean, it seems pretty straight forward and easy to understand but damn some people just don't get it. 

There's been Americans traveling for work to Russia for 2+ decades. She wasn't the only female basketball player working in Russia at the time from America and many other western countries. She just happened to be the one unlucky enough to be the best leverage hostage for Putin since she was the most high profile. 

She may not be a good person but she's being illegally held as a political prisoner by a nation at war and the US government should call it out and handle it as such. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I mean, it seems pretty straight forward and easy to understand but damn some people just don't get it. 

There's been Americans traveling for work to Russia for 2+ decades. She wasn't the only female basketball player working in Russia at the time from America and many other western countries. She just happened to be the one unlucky enough to be the best leverage hostage for Putin since she was the most high profile. 

She may not be a good person but she's being illegally held as a political prisoner by a nation at war and the US government should call it out and handle it as such. 

And I bet they are. Her case is not assigned to some Junior Officer. But we cannot force Russia to give her up. And what about other Americans detained there? Do we cut a deal for Victor Bout? Reduce sanctions? What should the US do? 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So you seriously think she’s guilty of “large-scale transportation of drugs?” For a few vape cartridges? And should be facing up to 10 years in prison? Would Sergei Six-Pack from Moscow be facing the same charge if he was caught with a few vape cartridges?

You should look up the penalties in texas for hashish possession which is what the state considers THC vape oil

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….so her position is functionally “I have an issue with our government not protecting all of its citizens equally, that’s what it should do, and I’m protesting that it doesn’t do so.”
And today, her position is “the government should protect its citizens.”
Her positions are completely consistent. They’re only inconsistent if you think “protesting our government’s failings hoping to spur change” = “I hate America.”

I criticize the fuck out of my kids’ failings. I even have punished them for some of those failings. In Slorch world, that means I….hate my kids?
I’ll say this: stupidity remains our national brand.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Kinda seems like the founding fathers were ok with a lil America hate.
Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And I bet they are. Her case is not assigned to some Junior Officer. But we cannot force Russia to give her up. And what about other Americans detained there? Do we cut a deal for Victor Bout? Reduce sanctions? What should the US do? 

I'm not saying the US should be doing anything other than continue to diplomatically work for their release. And no, I'm not giving up "The Merchant of Death" for her. 

I'm just addressing these morons who think she did wrong here. That's idiotic, she's a legitimate American victim being unjustly held by a hostile nation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Fair enough, but the "shE hATeS aMERICA" trope is pure racism. And regardless of whether she's a "good" or "bad" person in other respects, nobody deserves what she's going through for a little THC vape oil. She's very much facing excessive charges because of the timing at the start of Russia's attack on Ukraine. That part is pretty important regardless of whether you like her or not for whatever reason. It's never right to cave to bad foreign leaders for stuff like this as part of an unjust war. Her status as a political prisoner, in my opinion, is less about whether she broke a Russian law (she very likely did) but the timing, excessiveness, and demands for prisoner exchange has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with international politics from a madman who is trying to extinguish an entire nation of people for no good reason whatsoever.

I recognize that although she’s a piece of shit, she’s our piece of shit. 

18 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You should look up the penalties in texas for hashish possession which is what the state considers THC vape oil

penalty group 2, state felony.  Same with edibles. Which is all fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You could just tell me what they are. I’ll bet that if Matthew McConaughey was caught with a few vape cartridges in Texas, he wouldn’t face any jail time at all. We know how the justice system works in this country. It works very differently in Russia.

Not that a non-white, non-straight person isn’t sort of screwed in both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'm not arguing whether or not she's a good person.  I'm arguing that she's an idiot for being a high profile person in a country hostile to Americans when US intelligence was telling anyone that would listen for months that Russia was planning an invasion.   Honestly I blame her agent or advisors as much as her if she wasn't advised to GTFO months before she was arrested.   I mean there was a Level 4 "DO NOT TRAVEL" Advisory in place for Russia 2.5 weeks before she was arrested.  WTF was she doing biding her time?  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'm not saying the US should be doing anything other than continue to diplomatically work for their release. And no, I'm not giving up "The Merchant of Death" for her. 

I'm just addressing these morons who think she did wrong here. That's idiotic, she's a legitimate American victim being unjustly held by a hostile nation. 

Well she did do wrong. And yes she is a pawn. And I am not talking about her politics. It is her right to protest. I am not judging her life at all, just an action. I am talking about traveling internationally with hash oil. She would be arrested if caught coming into the US with it. 

Support her and the other Americans with all we can. Just don't give Putin shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I agree you (especially about Viktor Bout), but to Inka's point, what does "continue to diplomatically work for their release" mean in practical terms.  I seriously doubt Putin will hand her over to the US out of the goodness of his heart, so what should the US propose?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well she did do wrong. And yes she is a pawn. And I am not talking about her politics. It is her right to protest. I am not judging her life at all, just an action. I am talking about traveling internationally with hash oil. She would be arrested if caught coming into the US with it. 

Support her and the other Americans with all we can. Just don't give Putin shit. 

I guess we differ because I'm 100 percent convinced she had nothing on her. She had been there working for weeks playing the first part of her team's schedule, a team she had been playing for since 2014 without incident. 

Then exactly a week before Putin invades Ukraine she's smuggling drugs out of Russia? Bullshit. 

Putin knew his timeline for invasion, was looking for high profile westerners to take hostage, and she was tbe highest one there. She had no vape carts on her. 

And as far as why she was there, she's a 31 yr old basketball player who had been successfully traveling to Russia to work for almost a decade. She wasn't paying attention to travel advisories like geeks on here. None of the women players there were. Why would they when they hadn't had issue all the years of doing it? No one would have been in their situation including all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I agree you (especially about Viktor Bout), but to Inka's point, what does "continue to diplomatically work for their release" mean in practical terms.  I seriously doubt Putin will hand her over to the US out of the goodness of his heart, so what should the US propose?

Nothing really can be done except continue the waiting game and continue trying to get Putin deposed and out of Ukraine. There's millions of victims in Putin's war and she's just one of them. She's fucked. Biden knows this but he isn't telling her family that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I guess we differ because I'm 100 percent convinced she had nothing on her. She had been there working for weeks playing the first part of her team's schedule, a team she had been playing for since 2014 without incident. 

Then exactly a week before Putin invades Ukraine she's smuggling drugs out of Russia? Bullshit. 

Putin knew his timeline for invasion, was looking for high profile westerners to take hostage, and she was tbe highest one there. She had no vape carts on her. 

And as far as why she was there, she's a 31 yr old basketball player who had been successfully traveling to Russia to work for almost a decade. She wasn't paying attention to travel advisories like geeks on here. None of the women players there were. Why would they when they hadn't had issue all the years of doing it? No one would have been in their situation including all of us. 

well she admitted to having it. And her agent should be monitoring those alerts. It is part of standard international business. I get OSAC alerts all the time. 

Damn, I am not saying she should be left to deal with this on her own, and I agree she is a pawn. But we should not change policy. That is my only point. So what should we do? 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

4 grams can be up to 20 years I think. How many cartridges is that

Yeah, you get to "felony" very quickly, and the legal system treats you like a dealer and not like an end-user.  

In Texas (also in Russia).

Edited by Paul Wesley

On 7/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, TexasHooch said:

This is an aside, but this post jolted my memory.  Anyone remember the kid who was caned in Singapore years ago for stealing traffic signs?  I feel like there was a much bigger outcry about that than the Griner arrest.

A lot of posters here who could stand to take a trip through the Russian criminal justice system. Or the American one, but black.

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The only thing 100% in your post is that it's 100% speculation.   She was essentially a celebrity there and for all we know felt above the the law until she suddenly wasn't.  I'm not saying with certainty she did have something on her but it's ridiculous to claim "zero chance" she had a damn vape pen.

• Hook 'Em 1

The fact that Griner's case is becoming widely discussed - it puts an incredible amount of pressure on Biden to make a trade for someone in America who was a Russian asset.

None of us knows if she's guilty or not, but the Russians absolutely have us over a barrel in this situation, and public opinion will pressure Biden to make a deal that's extremely favorable to Moscow.  

If I were Biden, I'd try to trade her for Trump, seeing as how Trump is such a fucking sycophant to his "genius" and "very strong" and "very powerful" daddy.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Come On Reaction GIF

My point is she probably wasn't subject to constant checks of her personal belongings until it suddenly became politically convenient for Russia to do so.

It's truly amazing to me people completely absolving blame of her dumbass still living in Russia when the state dept had been telling everyone to GTFO for weeks.

Nobody is saying she's not getting screwed and is a political pawn, she clearly is, but she's not without fault. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Paul Wesley said:

The fact that Griner's case is becoming widely discussed - it puts an incredible amount of pressure on Biden to make a trade for someone in America who was a Russian asset.

None of us knows if she's guilty or not, but the Russians absolutely have us over a barrel in this situation, and public opinion will pressure Biden to make a deal that's extremely favorable to Moscow.  

If I were Biden, I'd try to trade her for Trump, seeing as how Trump is such a fucking sycophant to his "genius" and "very strong" and "very powerful" daddy.

I'll take the lunacy one step further. Trump and his butt buddy Pootie-Poot will get in cahoots on this one. After a couple of months of the Biden admin getting nowhere, as the midterms approach Trump will make a big show of getting personally involved in the matter, ultimately arranging for Griner to be released. Then the GQP can crow about Biden's diplomatic impotence and the GQP's legendary support for minority women and LGBQT victims. Sound stupid as fuck? Sure, which is why it will probably go down that way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think Biden is screwed here.  He holds a hard line, and gets excoriated for not making a deal, and it's entirely possible Trump will jump in and make that deal happen (a la Reagan/Carter and the Iranian hostages).  He capitulates and makes a trade, and he gets excoriated for being a pussy.

Personally, I'd make the trade.  The problem with Russia goes way beyond some asset we have in prison.  There is the theory that you don't negotiate with kidnappers because it just encourages more, but this is a pretty unusual situation, and I'm not thinking it further emboldens Putin.  He's gonna do what he wants to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

Why are y’all questioning whether she had the vape cartridges?  She admitted it in court yesterday. They weren’t planted. She was stupid for having them and stupid for being there.   The rest is a  political game and hopefully we can help get her back soon.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Why are y’all questioning whether she had the vape cartridges?  She admitted it in court yesterday. They weren’t planted. She was stupid for having them and stupid for being there.   The rest is a  political game and hopefully we can help get her back soon.

Because it would be impolitic of her to contradict the Russian narrative. Read the room.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

haha, okay. 

maybe she did, maybe she didn't. i'm inclined to not believe the russian authorities, and citing her confession in court as any sort of actual evidence is hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

well she admitted to having it. 

With your history and experience you should know as well as anyone how ridiculous a coerced confession under threat of imprisonment is. Of course she admitted to having it, she has a gun to her head and is being told if she wants it to go easy to do and say what they tell her to do and say.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I'll take the lunacy one step further. Trump and his butt buddy Pootie-Poot will get in cahoots on this one. 

Does Trump's base give 2 shits if Griner rots in prison?    But I agree Biden is in a no win situation here.   

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

her agent should be monitoring those alerts. It is part of standard international business. I get OSAC alerts all the time. 

That's true, but it obviously didn't happen not only for her but for the other 2 dozen or so American women's players who left Russia at the same time she tried to leave. I'm guessing with a decade of comfort going to Russia to play ball with no issue people's guards were very much down all around. Which happens to everyone in similar circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 1