RIP James Caan

elguapo

RIP. At least we’ll get to see Jimmy in one more new film, Fast Charlie. 

“When Oscar nominee James Caan passed away in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, aged 82, he left behind one final performance opposite Pierce Brosnan in the hitman thriller Fast Charlie, which he’d wrapped production on in New Orleans.

The film from director Phillip Noyce is based on Victor Gischler’s Edgar Award-nominated novel, Gun Monkeys. It centers on Charlie Swift (Brosnan), who has worked for aging mob boss Stan (Caan) for 20 years, skillfully operating as a prolific fixer and efficient hitman. When a rival boss moves to eliminate Stan and his entire team, he fails in wiping the team clean. Now on his own, Charlie will stop at nothing to avenge his friend, and has no plans to leave anyone alive.

Fast Charlie‘s ensemble also includes Gbenga Akkinagbe, Morena Baccarin, Toby Huss and more. Richard Wenk (The Magnificent Seven, The Equalizer) wrote the film, with Daniel Grodnik (Bobby) and Mitchell Welch (Chain of Command) serving as its producers.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

There are a lot of different versions of.... being remembered for something different than you meant to be remembered for. Joe Theismann, or Elizabeth Holmes. Or... I was listening to a podcast about a kid who went missing in Minnesota in the 80s and one of the (innocent) suspects talks about how it destroyed his life and living with the fact that that is his mark on this earth. And then there's a version of it where James Caan acts in arguably the greatest movie of all time, has a long and fairly celebrated career, and then does a goofy comedy about a 40 year old man who thinks he's a Christmas elf and that's going to be right there on chyrons and headlines alongside his name today.

I mean, Elf is pretty fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Enjoyed him in Thief, great early Michael Mann flick (totally forgot Willie is in this movie as well).

This is one of the tightest movies ever made. I love the scale. I love the way Michael Mann puts it together. Caan is immortal in this movie. It's a hard look at a hard world.

His understated style was so good in so many things. I don't know how the movies hold up, but The Gambler, Cinderella Liberty, and Slither are showcases for him. Truly one of my favorite actors.

spacer.png

All I know is that you have my money in your pocket. I'm the last person in the world you want to fuck with.

I'm feeling the pain. Rip James Caan.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Most of the Playboy interviews were works of fiction and satire. See e.g., Hustler Magazine v. Falwell.

Not sure how anything in Hustler reflects on anything in Playboy. Isn’t that sort of like citing Penthouse Letters as a reason to not trust Playboy interviews? Ive read a number of Playboy interviews but the only ones I really remember are one with John Lennon and one with Frank Zappa and I don’t think there’s any fiction or satire in those.

Lennon:

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1980.jlpb.beatles.html

Zappa:

https://www.afka.net/Articles/1993-04_Playboy.htm

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not sure how anything in Hustler reflects on anything in Playboy. Isn’t that sort of like citing Penthouse Letters as a reason to not trust Playboy interviews? Ive read a number of Playboy interviews but the only ones I really remember are one with John Lennon and one with Frank Zappa and I don’t think there’s any fiction or satire in those.

Lennon:

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1980.jlpb.beatles.html

Zappa:

https://www.afka.net/Articles/1993-04_Playboy.htm

He’s doing a bit for the interview. It’s like I’m message boarding with my brothers kids or something. 

I remember seeing some tmz or something article a few years back and he was dating some 20 something smoke show.  Probably fucked to death lol.  I liked him in that Las Vegas crap tv show for a easy watch back in the day as a guilty pleasure and of course the movies he did. 

Edited by Hook1997

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I remember seeing some tmz or something article a few years back and he was dating some 20 something smoke show.  Probably fucked to death lol.  I liked him in that Las Vegas crap tv show for a easy watch back in the day as a guilty pleasure and of course the movies he did. 

If you watched Las Vegas for any other reason than the wimenz you were doing it wrong.  No offense intended Jimmy, and may you RIP.

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

This is one of the tightest movies ever made. I love the scale. I love the way Michael Mann puts it together. Caan is immortal in this movie. It's a hard look at a hard world.

His understated style was so good in so many things. I don't know how the movies hold up, but The Gambler, Cinderella Liberty, and Slither are showcases for him. Truly one of my favorite actors.

spacer.png

All I know is that you have my money in your pocket. I'm the last person in the world you want to fuck with.

I'm feeling the pain. Rip James Caan.

As a Michael Mann fan, how the hell have I never watched that? Looks like lots of parallels to Deniro's character in Heat. Going to rectify that really soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

As a Michael Mann fan, how the hell have I never watched that? Looks like lots of parallels to Deniro's character in Heat. Going to rectify that really soon. 

You're right about that. Mann is a great director. Heat and Thief are the hard boiled real deal. Music by Tangerine Dream in Thief is on point. 

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

He was also good in Misery, but I'm not really in the mood for that.

It’s a tough watch. Great movie but pretty brutal.

There’s an episode of 3rd Rock From The Sun where Kathy Bates plays an alien hunter and she and her idiot son take the Solomons and their friends into captivity. That’s pretty funny and was sort of a callback to Misery. It was a comedy so you didn’t have to deal with any torture. 

I rewatched Rollerball again this morning. I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve watched it but it still holds up. I bought my first DVD player in 1998 and I must’ve bought this disc the same year. The director’s commentary was recorded in ‘97. I listened to a little bit of it to start then just switched over and watched the film.

A lot of the scenes are fairly Kubrick-esque. It’s not just a great story but it’s also beautifully staged and shot. If you’ve never seen it then you should check it out and if you haven’t seen it in a long time then you should check it out again. “Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!”

I also forgot that Robert Ito, aka Sam Fujiyama in Quincy M.E., had a small role  And then there’s Maud Adams who’s sneaky hot. I can’t recall whether I saw her pictorial in Playboy before or after I first saw Rollerball but...hey now.

AC455C96-C155-470E-8F14-22A94A2BB4F2.thumb.png.7b7e4a6b78ad99c94fc5ce7a14de59b5.png

Nope I was a latchkey kid. I got a sub at 14 because I got home before my mom. It had a fake name just in case it came while I was gone.

The mail used to be the bearer of good stuff. My weekly Sports Illustrated. My annual Dave Campbell’s Texas Football. Letters from girlfriend’s off at grandma’s house for summer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When I was a kid I loved Rollerball for the action scenes, but I didn't really get the rest. Now I appreciate the film a lot more. It has been showing on one of the free movie channels on DirecTV latelyi, MGM or one of those, and I've caught chunks of it several times. Classic and original.

The people responsible for the remake or whatever that was should have their credentials revoked.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:16 PM, RPM said:

MFer made me cry as a kid.

MV5BNTViNmM3NWMtNDg0OC00ZjQ0LWEwZmItMmFm

Just watched this again for the first time in forever. For 114 minutes, it really flew by. This is unquestionably a classic, but if any film needs to be remade (and done right), this is the one. The ABC TV Movie of the Week production values really stick out. 

On 7/10/2022 at 2:27 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

El Dorado, not on any of the major streamers right now. This an outrage.

Seems like I just watched it a few months ago on HBO Max or some other streamer. It must have been removed. Sad day, that is one of my all time favorite older westerns, partly because I used to watch it with my grandad when I was little, but also just because it is a great movie.

• 5 weeks later...