Top Law Firms - Dallas

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trademark litigation, however, is one of the I guess few areas where being a contingent-fee lawyer just won't work, because the chances of monetary recovery are slim 99.9% of the time.  It's difficult in all of IP litigation, because of the unpredictability and expense of cases. Although it certainly goes on.

I don't know about trademark litigation, but one of my fellow Vinson & Elkins attorneys left for a plaintiff's boutique around 2002 or so and handled contingent patent litigation.  He made a killing.

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Guess I'm tired of paying our fatass tard of a lawyer hundreds per "hour" to make changes to our contracts that we end up not using. 

You're the one paying hundreds per hour for something you know you're not going to use. Sounds like you're the ass here. 

• Haha 1

If the family member gets burnt out on trademark work and wants to change gears and practice family law for SEVERELY REDUCED PAY send them my way. 

I kid. 

But really, my associate attorneys make around $90K first year, 6 figures in years 2+, and it's realistic to make partner here if you like the work and are a good fit. And we have a "leave at 5:00 and leave the work at the office" culture because, to be honest, in family law, if the courts aren't open there's not much I can do. That's not to say we never work nights or weekends, but it's not every day/every week. Plus, I guarantee you that a family law attorney is in court more than anyone except for a criminal law attorney. Several of my associates have handled jury trials in their first year or two. We don't have the same benefits as big law firms, but we also don't try to burn out our attorneys. 

Anyway, I'm in Austin, and I'm never not hiring. If the right fit comes along we'll make it work. Putting this here more for future people perusing this thread than the OP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This has nothing to do with anything but young lawyers make too much money now. Fucking 200k starting salary. Get off my lawn. 

I remember when I accepted my offer from V&E as a third year lawyer in the Fall of 1998, my starting salary was something like $72,000.  The market exploded, and I think I got a couple raises before I finished my first year as a lawyer, and I was just below or above $100,000 by the Spring of 2000.  It was nuts.