Shinzo Abe has been assassinated in Japan

HRSchenker

22 hours ago, Pancho said:

Aren’t murders by gun pretty much unheard of in Japan?

Report today said there was one gun death in Japan in 2021.  The country has half our population.  So obviously gun control does not work?

23 hours ago, Hermanator said:

You want off now? 

Because a populist piece of shit right wing politician who fucked over the people of another country half way around the world got assassinated?

Fuck that, shit's just now getting entertaining. 

Scared Wait What GIF by DefyTV

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

So it sounds like the assassin was pissed at the Moonies whom he blamed for his mother's bankruptcy and who are a dependable voting bloc for Abe's Liberal Democratic Party.

https://news.yahoo.com/possible-moonies-assassination-shinzo-abe-154041281.html

According to Japanese media reports, Yamagami wanted to kill the leader of a religious group, which investigators did not name, but decided to kill Abe instead.

That's a hell of an audible to call

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

You're like the tenth person to recommend these specific episodes of this specific podcast. It's a sign

Just saved to listen once I finish all 3,000 hours of Robert Caro’s LBJ audiobooks.

Thanks for the recommendation!

BTW - do we have a political book thread? I’d love to discuss the LBJ series with a bunch of smart Texans. I’m loving learning all about LBJ and had no idea how huge a role he played in shaping much of 20th century politics.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Just saved to listen once I finish all 3,000 hours of Robert Caro’s LBJ audiobooks.

BTW - do we have a political book thread? I’d love to discuss the LBJ series with a bunch of smart Texans. I’m loving learning all about LBJ and had no idea how huge a role he played in shaping much of 20th century politics.

I want to say we did have a political book thread at one time, but that might be the old site I'm of. The LBJ Presidential Library is a pretty cool visit if you're ever in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/8/2022 at 9:21 PM, AnTiM said:

Report today said there was one gun death in Japan in 2021.  The country has half our population.  So obviously gun control does not work?

Sure, if Britain had successfully crushed our independence and disarmed us, we'd have a gun society similar to Japan's. It takes generations (or centuries) to get there. Of course, they do have a big advantage when it comes to restricting imports as an island nation. If we tried to disarm law abiding in the US today, we're much more likely to resemble Brazil than Japan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_and_Sword_Possession_Control_Law

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Sure, if Britain had successfully crushed our independence and disarmed us, we'd have a gun society similar to Japan's. It takes generations (or centuries) to get there. Of course, they do have a big advantage when it comes to restricting imports as an island nation. If we tried to disarm law abiding in the US today, we're much more likely to resemble Brazil than Japan.

Or maybe we would be like Britain today, where you don't see dozens of people gunned down every day?  

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Thanks Boom. Glad to know that any meaningful gun safety reform is just impossible. Please kill another thread with your crusade. Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

If we tried to disarm law abiding in the US today, we're much more likely to resemble Brazil than Japan.

Doesn't sound like you believe those law abiding citizens would be so law abiding once their toys got taken away.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Best I can do is a bunch of assholes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Doesn't sound like you believe those law abiding citizens would be so law abiding once their toys got taken away.

Who do you think is committing all the murders in the US? Do those assholes just go away if we take guns from the law abiding?

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Who do you think is committing all the murders in the US? Do those assholes just go away if we take guns from the law abiding?

Do you think the pussy in Highland Park would have killed anybody without the gun? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Now I'm confused.  You are insinuating that the only thing keeping us from total dystopia (as opposed to semi-dystopia we currently have) is law abiding citizens with guns.  I wouldn't have previously thought you would be a fan of the 'Defund the Police' movement, but I guess I was wrong.

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

3,000 hours? I'm hoping that's hyperbole. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Now I'm confused.  You are insinuating that the only thing keeping us from total dystopia (as opposed to semi-dystopia we currently have) is law abiding citizens with guns.  I wouldn't have previously thought you would be a fan of the 'Defund the Police' movement, but I guess I was wrong.

Me too? I don't think Brazil is dystopian. I don't think the US is semi-dystopian. I am not a thin blue liner. There are so many things wrong with our police today, of course I support relieving them of some duties (and funding).

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I bought his first book, The Power Broker, about the history of NYC because of this thread.  It arrived today.  It's 1200 pages.  Was not ready for that.

I was wondering what the words to pages ratio was, and googled a sample....That book is a fucking hoss unit. I don't think you could write that many words if you described, with  reasonably vivid detail, literally everything I've done in my life. Unreal that there are several volumes of this. 

On 7/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, Bama Chick said:

Huge role indeed.

2 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

The Caro books on LBJ are absolutely incredible. But, yes, they are a commitment. And don't forget, the four books only get you to 1964. Apparently Robert Caro and George RR Martin are hanging out together "finishing" their books.

He’s only supposed to have one more right?  Gonna be a lot to cram in the last one it feels like. 

• 3 weeks later...