Need a habanero salsa recipe

bernorange

I could never get the consistency down with mine, it always separated and became watery not smooth. But I used peeled tomoatoes and carrots as a base with other seasonings. Curious to see what others offer up 

About 6 roma tomatoes
Tomatillos (you want the volume of the romas:tomatillos to be about 2.5:1 or 3:1)
About 1/4 of a big red onion
A couple of small garlic cloves (or one big one)
2-4 serrano peppers 
1/2 - 1 orange habanero
1 lime
Salt

Grill all of it, but the lime and the salt. Get it charred. Add to blender. Add salt and lime juice. Pulse until desired consistency. Refrigerate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Baboontyme said:

About 6 roma tomatoes
Tomatillos (you want the volume of the romas:tomatillos to be about 2.5:1 or 3:1)
About 1/4 of a big red onion
A couple of small garlic cloves (or one big one)
2-4 serrano peppers 
1/2 - 1 orange habanero
1 lime
Salt

Grill all of it, but the lime and the salt. Get it charred. Add to blender. Add salt and lime juice. Pulse until desired consistency. Refrigerate. 

That's not really habañero salsa. 

I always do 

2 habaneros, 4 tomatoes, half a yellow onion, couple cloves of garlic, little bit of cilantro, juice of one lime, salt and a dash of vinegar.  Pulsed to what you want, taste and adjust to your liking.    Tastes good to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I ended up doing the following (using two 16oz cans of Dole crushed pineapple in pineapple juice):

4 habaneros

2 cloves garlic

2 tablespoons pinapple

juice of 1 lime

pinch of salt

Pureed the above in a food processor.

In large jar, I added:

1 large sweet onion (diced)

1 bunch cilantro (minced)

remainder of pineapple

puree from above

I hand mixed with a long handled spoon.  I tasted it and it wasn't quite right, so I added juice of 1 more lime and a generous bit (maybe 5 pinches) of salt.  Tasted again and it's amazing.  It's pretty spicy though.  Probably a 4 on the Thai restaurant spicy scale.  Less adventurous types might want to use 2 or 3 habaneros instead of 4.

4 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I hand mixed with a long handled spoon.  I tasted it and it wasn't quite right, so I added juice of 1 more lime and a generous bit (maybe 5 pinches) of salt.  Tasted again and it's amazing.  It's pretty spicy though.  Probably a 4 on the Thai restaurant spicy scale.  Less adventurous types might want to use 2 or 3 habaneros instead of 4.

How I pictured this...

I ended up doing the following (using two 16oz cans of Dole crushed pineapple in pineapple juice):
4 habaneros
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons pinapple
juice of 1 lime
pinch of salt
Pureed the above in a food processor.
In large jar, I added:
1 large sweet onion (diced)
1 bunch cilantro (minced)
remainder of pineapple
puree from above

I like this with 2 less habaneros (my heat tolerance cut in half when I had extensive sinus surgery 20 years ago) plus a couple seeded fresh jalapeños. They just add a little polish to the habaneros edge.

17 hours ago, bernorange said:

Habanero plant in the garden has about 30 beautiful, ripe peppers ready for harvesting.  I thought I'd make a pineapple salsa with them but I've never made one before.  Anyone have a good recipe?  

30? don't drop that shit!

M28xXzQwMC5naWY.gif

Nah, go straight to taking the contact lenses out.

What’s worse than touching your junk after chopping chilies? Handling your wife’s hoohah after chopping chilies. Made that mistake about 35 years ago. Surprised she didn’t rip out my eyes.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1