Question about address changes

Kids, I have a question.

I moved to California for work a few weeks ago, but I am keeping my house in Houston.  Do I need to change my address and shit to the California address?  I’m going to rent out my house in Houston so I don’t really want my mail going there; however, I still own that.  My car is with UFCU and I know you can’t live outside Texas and still go with them.  So for shit like that, I still want my Texas address yet there are things that will go there that I need here. 

I’ve done temp mail forwarding, but the most that lasts is a year.  I’m just not sure if I should be updating my address with things like my credit cards, etc as I know that will change the address on your credit report. 

I’m still undecided on if I should get a Cal DL and license plates as well.  Part of me thinks it’s unnecessary. 

The best way is to come clean and use whatever address you consider your true domicile - where you live, family lives, essentially live your life.

You can get by for a short time if you don't put your new address as your legal one (domicile).  But eventually tax and court matters will be a problem, especially if a violation of some kind.  Your address is where to most easily find you the majority of time.

If you're figuring temporary, you can talk to a lawyer about processing it.  If it's indefinite or long-term, change it.

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Kids, I have a question.

I moved to California for work a few weeks ago, but I am keeping my house in Houston.  Do I need to change my address and shit to the California address?  I’m going to rent out my house in Houston so I don’t really want my mail going there; however, I still own that.  My car is with UFCU and I know you can’t live outside Texas and still go with them.  So for shit like that, I still want my Texas address yet there are things that will go there that I need here. 

I’ve done temp mail forwarding, but the most that lasts is a year.  I’m just not sure if I should be updating my address with things like my credit cards, etc as I know that will change the address on your credit report. 

I’m still undecided on if I should get a Cal DL and license plates as well.  Part of me thinks it’s unnecessary. 

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The best way is to come clean and use whatever address you consider your true domicile - where you live, family lives, essentially live your life.

You can get by for a short time if you don't put your new address as your legal one (domicile).  But eventually tax and court matters will be a problem, especially if a violation of some kind.  Your address is where to most easily find you the majority of time.

If you're figuring temporary, you can talk to a lawyer about processing it.  If it's indefinite or long-term, change it.

Is this a permanent move until such time as you receive another transfer  ?    If so..

Best to follow advice by phdhorn.      With the current US mail system issues (delays, takes more time),  best not to depend on the forwarding of mail. 

Check with the DMV in California but there likely is a requirement to change your vehicle registration and driver's license within a certain period.

Perhaps @Gil Bang and @Sbbruin can advise.  

1 hour ago, torre said:

Is this a permanent move until such time as you receive another transfer  ?    If so..

Best to follow advice by phdhorn.      With the current US mail system issues (delays, takes more time),  best not to depend on the forwarding of mail. 

Check with the DMV in California but there likely is a requirement to change your vehicle registration and driver's license within a certain period.

Perhaps @Gil Bang and @Sbbruin can advise.  

You are considered a California resident and will need a valid CA driver’s license if any of the following apply:

• You officially reside in the state for six months or more within a 12-month period
  • You are registered to vote in California
  • You are employed in California
  • You run a California-based business
  • You pay tuition fees to a California-based school or college
  • You own or rent property in California
  • You have dependants who attend school in California

As to the car, you're supposed to register it within 20 days of arriving. 

You'll probably need a smog check.  We don't do "inspections" like Texas does, just emissions.  Now, if you decide to stay registered in TX, you'll need to figure out the Texas inspection issue.  My kid had that problem, but he found out he's exempt as he's military stationed elsewhere.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You don't have to worry about anything UFCU related...once you have an open account with them (or any federally-insured CU for that matter), you can live pretty much anywhere and retain your accounts so long as they remain in good standing.

Is the work thing permanent?  If so, I'd just buckle up and make the changes to everything if you want any kind of peace of mind with things like your taxes and insurance...to name a couple.  You can obviously keep everything in TX of course, but legally I'd consider CA your primary residence if that's truly what it is now.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

where are you living? 

Uptown Oakland.  It’s a thrill to know each and every day I could randomly find a hole in the wall bar, hole in the wall restaurant, or a hole in a homeless person because they’ve been shot.  Ahh, Oakland!

Seriously, I work on the East Bay so there was no reason for me to live in SF.  (And I’m not rich.). Where’s the California DMV?  Someone told me I can get my drivers license via a 24 hour kiosk here.  WTF? I mean, I’m down but that seems really weird. 

15 hours ago, Pancho said:

Uptown Oakland.  It’s a thrill to know each and every day I could randomly find a hole in the wall bar, hole in the wall restaurant, or a hole in a homeless person because they’ve been shot.  Ahh, Oakland!

Seriously, I work on the East Bay so there was no reason for me to live in SF.  (And I’m not rich.). Where’s the California DMV?  Someone told me I can get my drivers license via a 24 hour kiosk here.  WTF? I mean, I’m down but that seems really weird. 

1a90438c-dd82-4180-9405-b0b3fb6c92e3_scr

16 hours ago, Pancho said:

Nah, the kiosk is only for renewing registrations.  You've got to go to the DMV for the license. Make an appointment.   Pro tip:  Join AAA, and use them for  all DMV stuff except for Licenses.  It's well worth the 50 bucks a year to skip the lines. 

www,dmv.ca.gov