Nashville

The Country Music HoF has an Outlaw Country exhibit going on right now if you're into that kind of stuff.

Husk is great, Hattie B's for hot chicken, Pancake Pantry or Biscuit Love for breakfast. Robert's Western World is still worth a visit.  See a show or at least walk into The Ryman.

I'll second Yazoo Brewing.

If you don't want to spend 3 hours of your life waiting in line for Hattie B's, we stumbled across a place called Party Fowl real close to Yazoo that had delicious hot chicken.  It's probably not as good as Hattie's, but I was in and out in 45 minutes and had some good beer in the process.

If you can get tickets, do the blue bird cafe. Have to buy tickets Monday 8am the week of. Awesome experience. You probably will not know the name of the person playing, doesn’t matter. It’s usually the song writers and they tell the stories behind the songs while they play. Occasionally super stars who live in Nash will show up unannounced and play too.
It’s small (like 40 people) and will be on the top of my list when I go back again.

Second on Hattie B’s hot chicken.

Marsh house at the Thompson hotel is really good.

So is the roof top bar at the Thompson. (Called LA Jackson)

Biscuit love is good, usually a wait.

Loved Bar Taco. Really good margaritas. Good tacos. Cool patio and area (called south 12th I think). Cool bars, restaurants etc. went back twice

Tootsies is a three story honky Tonk with stages going on all three levels. Lots of fun.

Did not go much further down broadway beyond tootsies.

Xm radio has a live broadcast Friday’s at margaritaville. It’s fun to watch drunk people get on radio

3rd and Linsley is a cool bar not too far off the normal areas that has cheap drinks and usually good bands.

Skip the grand ole opry. Unless you like 1950’s country show acts and sitting with old people. We got up and left.

Check out Vandy and Belmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I go there a fair amount for business. A few places we like:

Breakfast:  Biscuit Love, Milk & Honey

Lunch: Hattie B’s

Dinner: Kanye Prime (a top 2-3 steakhouse for me.  Ignore the ridiculously overpriced wine list, however, and get a cocktail and a glass of wine); 5th & Taylor (in Germantown)

For all the folks advocating Hattie B's, how long did you actually have to wait to get in?

I have a pathological distaste for lines, so I didn't even really bother, but a buddy of mine tried (he needed to sober up from day drinking) and after standing in line for 30 minutes without moving, and still having most of a block to get in the door, he bailed and came back to the bar we were at.

I'd love to try it next time I'm there, but fuck waiting that long.

2nd the vote for Kayne Prime. not Kanye. ha ha

The 12 South area is cool to walk around with a good burger place called Burger UP and and an ice cream place called Jeni's.

There is also a hole in the wall breakfast place in East Nashville called Sky Blue Cafe that is very good.  I really like Nashville, it reminds me of Austin 25 - 30 years ago.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

For all the folks advocating Hattie B's, how long did you actually have to wait to get in?

I have a pathological distaste for lines, so I didn't even really bother, but a buddy of mine tried (he needed to sober up from day drinking) and after standing in line for 30 minutes without moving, and still having most of a block to get in the door, he bailed and came back to the bar we were at.

I'd love to try it next time I'm there, but fuck waiting that long.

Order online, choose when you want to pick it up and get it to go. 

• Like 1

recently had drinks at the rooftop at The Thompson.  Nice spot where all the beautiful people appear to congregate.

Everyone tells me that Rolf and Daughters is the place to eat but we could not get a reservation.  Ending up eating in the 12 South area at Urban Grub.  Had a nice oyster bar, and the food was fine.  The bar was jammed.  This was Vandy graduation weekend so the entire town was jammed.

There are free concerts and food trucks in Centennial Park during Friday and Saturdays in June.  Not a bad spot to find some shade, grab some grub and a beer, and listen to live music

https://musicianscornernashville.com/

Edited by MAROON

I also recommend to stay away from the Grand Ole Opry, unless you are into that sort of thing...has a huge outlet mall next door.  Total tourist trap.  If you have to visit it, go by in the morning, take some self-pics standing outside in front of it, get back in your car and leave. 

Breakfast at Loveless Cafe on Highway 100 is pretty good.  Would also recommend a side trip to Franklin...about 30 minutes south of downtown.  Lots of history, quaint shops, decent food.  All walking distance in the main square area.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:47 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

We stood about 20 mins with two kids, which is an eternity with under 5 year olds. Still was worth it.

9 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

We stood about 20 mins with two kids, which is an eternity with under 5 year olds. Still was worth it.

20 minutes would have probably flown with our group, but we also had several individuals whose level of inebriation had turned them into 5 year olds.  

OK. I've been here about 6 hours. I went to the fried chicken place and it was fucking good. Waited about 40 minutes total. Then got drunk at the dive across the street watching the horns. Afterwards the Uber driver informed me that there are other locations where you don't have to wait. Lesson learned.

That said it's Sunday night and there are about 50 bars with live country bands playing the good old shit all on the same street and an excessive number of women running around in short skirts or short shorts and cowboy boots. Yeah, this place doesn't suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had mistakenly bought tickets to the Grand Ole Opry before knowing better. It sucks. I mean, it is really awful. Octogenarians sitting in uncomfortable church pews watching terrible new country interspersed with lots of cheesy ads for cowboy boots and Tennessee tourism. I couldn't even stomach the Opry for the sake of nostalgia. They did have one really good bluegrass band but we left at intermission before we could confirm that Crystal Gayle and Ray Stevens were still alive. I just couldn't make it long enough for the slight hope that he would sing the timeless and ever politically correct Ahab the Arab.

As for the rest of it.... that's a great town. Tons of hot women, good food, people are super friendly, and live music EVERYWHERE. I mean, even in Austin, you can't plow through 8 bars with live country music at noon on a Monday. And most of them were good, too. Lots of professional musicians knocking out 3 hour sets during the middle of the week. I have no idea how they make a living there. And if you didn't like them, just go next door to the next one.

• 3 months later...

Nashville is fast becoming another Austin. To some that is a good thing; To others it is not.

Peg Leg Porker is pretty good cue if you like the hog.

Loveless Cafe is worth the drive outside of Nashville. Best biscuits I have had and decent fried chicken.

Nissan Stadium is an underrated place to see a game.

Places to skip: Ryman (go if you are going for a show) and Antique Archaelogy  

On 6/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, Stella Link said:

I also recommend to stay away from the Grand Ole Opry, unless you are into that sort of thing...

See I'm not a fan of that music, but went to the opry (the actual show) and had a great time. I can't imagine looking at the age of the people there that it will last 30 years longer.

Any recommendations on something to do on Thanksgiving day and night?

No family, just meeting an old friend while her boyfriend celebrates T-day with his family. I'm not much of a country fan but I understand they have way more to offer. It'll be my first time and have heard nothing but excellent reviews. Really looking forward to it. 

***We're heading down to the Iron Bowl that Saturday so if anyone has any advice about that area of the world I'll take it. Pretty sure the people hosting me should have that covered though.***

• Hook 'Em 1

While in Tuscaloosa, go to the original Dreamland for ribs, just to say you have been.  Then, go to Archibald's in Northport, AL for better bbq.  

Have no idea what the Nashville scene will be like on Thanksgiving.  If the bars are open, wander around on Broadway until you find a honkytonk that fits your vibe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Nashville over the weekend. Hattie B's was on point. Mike's ice cream downtown was good. Monelle's was great, but you better have a buzz before going because you will eat so much it will be impossible afterward.

Biscuit Love was also worth the wait. Maybe the best biscuits of all time. The Stillery downtown was also good. Tremendous deviled eggs.

All the bars down on Broadway were fun. The best bet will depend on who is playing. We had the best time at The Stage, Tin Roof, and Ole Red. Watched the OU game at Whisky Row. Monday morning at Legends. ALL ARE GREAT. The level of talent is just off the charts.

Some pics:
77ec3fcc8385f676ab8fa71d1b765a1b.jpg258ccf6e1a62cfa3f2216f3592d95827.jpgd8e97d67890b5c44ffdf9ab9c3098c66.jpg443f03a2d04dd6169d8e859090502bab.jpgdcdb00fbbfb6da3896090f5d43c1ea40.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Headed out Saturday to check out the campus with one of the little ones.

List looks good for grub...what about music and/or entertainment with someone under 21?

\m/

There are a number of places on Broadway that you can go in under 21, including Bluebird Cafe.  Several restaurant/bar places as well on Broadway.  Some places limit it to 21+ after certain hours. It will be fun just to walk up and down, pop in a few places, and see what a ****show it is

Country Music Hall of Fame is nice as well

Headed out Saturday to check out the campus with one of the little ones.

List looks good for grub...what about music and/or entertainment with someone under 21?

\m/

Just don’t go to the grand ole opry. Complete tourist trap for people who are too old to go to Branson. Average age is 80, plus it’s 30 minutes away.

As far as music goes, one of the things that’s hard to fathom the first time you go is that every venue has great music, even if you have not heard of them. Check out 3rd and Lindsley. Cool spot a little off radar that you can really get up close to the music. Tootsies is cool, but not sure about age restrictions.

If you can get tickets, blue bird cafe will blow you away. Every now and then someone huge will pop in un announced. Garth Brooks, Keith urban and Taylor swift will just show up and play. If you are going around the holidays, odds are in Your favor from what I have heard since most huge stars have homes near by.

It’s hard to not have a great time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Going for bachelor party this fall; first time there. Excited based on the food pics above.  Not a country music guy however so i will concentrate on booze.

We go there a lot because my company is based there.  Not a big country music fan either, but I'd encourage you to spend some time on Broadway and check out a couple of the places.  It's fun just people-watching and, regardless of the style, the musicians they get are very talented.  

Where are you staying?  Can give you some restaurant recommendations.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Going for bachelor party this fall; first time there. Excited based on the food pics above.  Not a country music guy however so i will concentrate on booze.

You don’t have to be a country fan to enjoy the bars on Broadway. Most nights there will be something else playing in one of them.