Scotland

Chewbacca

Don’t get a parking ticket like me. I was only 4 minutes late. I went to the admin building to argue or negotiate and simply got to pay it there instead of online. Saved the processing fee though. 
Not renting a car unless I have to. I'm still wanted in Austria.

Pop's went there a few years back.  He's a big Scotch guy, so besides the obvious trip to St. Andrews, he did a bunch of distillery tours that he really, really liked.  Had a bunch of bottles shipped back.  He has a chemistry background, so the "science" of the peat and how they go their steps was apparently pretty cool.  

Few of us went and we fell in love with the place.  Hire a local driver when you do scotch tours.  

We stayed in Edinburgh and fantastic restaurants though I can't remember any specific names.  Oddly enough, one of best Italian meals I've ever had.

Also, little town called Tomintoul had a great restaurant and we stayed at a hotel there that we all thought was haunted.  Never had felt that energy before (nor have since).  Who knows.

Also, they hate it when you put more than a drop of water in your scotch.  I like ice in my scotch so got many comments on that. I am too old to care too much about others judgments on ice in my drink but it was interesting convo.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Hate said:

I will say other than a “proper chippy”, the native food sucks. If you like Indian food, there will be plenty of options for you.

Agreed.  Most local food wasn't great but food scene was really good.  Somehow ate various very tasty non-local meals.  I did not expect that.

In Manchester now; riding the train to Edinburgh in a few days. Have been a couple of times. Enjoy Edinburgh. Great city. Find the time to take at least one day trip to a small Scottish town and just go sit in the pub all day talking to locals. It will be the most memorable thing you do. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/11/2022 at 6:10 AM, Hate said:

The castle and Royal Mile are musts of course. That whole area is absolutely beautiful.

Yeah, we're staying right in that Old Town area.   Looks amazing.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:15 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

How long are you there? I used to live in Scotland so could give some recs. the west coast and some of the Hebrides are fantastic, but November will be a difficult time. The weather is guaranteed to suck and the days will be short.

We are there for 7 or 8 days.  Wish it was longer but school calendars prohibit that this go round.

15 hours ago, Hate said:

I will say other than a “proper chippy”, the native food sucks. If you like Indian food, there will be plenty of options for you.

We felt the same about the food in Germany and Austria.  There's only so much sausage, pretzels and big ass balls of dough that one can eat.  But it's fun to experience.

Was just in Edinburgh in May.  Only 3 nights.  Solo traveler so different than a family trip in that I enjoy doing a few touristy cultural things and then sitting in pubs and talking to people which I did a ton of vs doing the Clark Griswold.   Stayed at the Hilton right on the Royal Mile.  Nice hotel.  Took the tram in from the airport and walked the 15 mins to the Hilton.  Agreed on some damn good restaurants and pubs.   My favorite restaurant was White Horse Oyster on High St.  Very modern.  Reservations needed.  Favorite bar was White Hart Inn as it claims to be the oldest.   Worlds End Pub on High St had very good food as well. Tiny place.  If you want an upscale place try Devils' Advocate.   

I had 4-5 people including several Scotts and a friend who lived there tell me to skip the castle so I did.   Calton Hill is free and the views are just as good.    I did do the Palace which I enjoyed thoroughly.   I did a one day Scotch and highlands tour.   Our guide was fantastic and absolutely hilarious.  Went to some small towns and then to the Dewars Aberfeldy Distillery.   Obviously not one of the most prestigious but it was still pretty good.  Depending on kids and love for Harry Potter Greyfriars was worth a walk and the pub right outside had a really hot goth tattooed bar maid that was right up my alley.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

If it's a nice day while your in Edinburgh, Hike Arthur's Seat.  Well worth it.

Make sure you get some raw oysters.  Scottish Oysters blow every other oyster I've ever had out of the water, including Olympics.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was there for 10 days in June. Absolutely loved it. 

Never really had any food worth writing about. Nothing bad. But nothing I would go out of my way to try. 

Everywhere we went was amazing. Edinburgh was a blast. If you go to Oban, definitely make the trip to Iona. The beach on Iona was stunningly beautiful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

get your own car

spend $200 and buy all of the landranger maps for the northern and western parts of scotland

know the difference between a "power shower" and real, pressurized plumbing (i know a place or 2)

power showers suck and british plumbing sucks

scottish salmon, cheese, beef, and scottish breakfast with scottish toast is not crap

what's the budget for the entire fiesta?

5 hours ago, YoungCounty said:

I was there for 10 days in June. Absolutely loved it. 

Never really had any food worth writing about. Nothing bad. But nothing I would go out of my way to try. 

Everywhere we went was amazing. Edinburgh was a blast. If you go to Oban, definitely make the trip to Iona. The beach on Iona was stunningly beautiful. 

I know a trip to Oban is on the itinerary.  

40 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

get your own car

spend $200 and buy all of the landranger maps for the northern and western parts of scotland

know the difference between a "power shower" and real, pressurized plumbing (i know a place or 2)

scottish salmon, cheese, beef, and scottish breakfast with scottish toast is not crap

Budget is whatever it costs to do what we want to do.  I'll have the wife check the place she reserved for plumbing pressure.

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

confirming 7 days

edinburgh is served commercially in the winter from the US nonstop by unicon from ewr

what's your flightaware?

We're flying BA from DEN-LHR and connecting to Edinburgh.  Hope LHR gets their shit sorted out by then.  Looks like a disaster zone right now.  

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

get your own car

feb19_1.jpg

I was there a month ago and did DFW to LHR to EDI. Smooth sailing but also not summer. You should get to use the egates for passport control. YouTube it so you'll be prepared. Easy and fast. Security was a bit more of a cluster fuck. Your domestic will most likely be a satilite.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never been to Scotland, but I might have the opportunity to buy a cottage on a working farm up near Inverness at some point later in life. So I'll naturally be following this thread avidly. I have been to Aberdeen for a few days as part of a Bachelor party, and it was fucking gorgeous. 

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've never been to Scotland, but I might have the opportunity to buy a cottage on a working farm up near Inverness at some point later in life. So I'll naturally be following this thread avidly. I have been to Aberdeen for a few days as part of a Bachelor party, and it was fucking gorgeous. 

brule-what.gif

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, After irth said:

Would love to hear more about this...

Ha. It's very much luck. Our best couple friends, the husband is from Scotland and his family has a working farm of around 1k acres. Livestock, etc, and he's one of 3 brothers. Their mom is a piece of work, and she's got strong opinions, etc. Anyway, the middle brother will inherit the farm, because he's the one who stuck around to work it, etc. The other brothers will inherit other things from their parents. But the brother who works the farm, he gets paid an ok wage, but it sounds like the farm is closer to a break even enterprise. Anyway, the point is, he doesn't have much in the way of retirement with his wife, but he'll have all this land that he'll never want to sell, so he's somewhat trapped.

Anyway, the farmland has 3 cottages on it now that I believe they rent out for additional income. The idea would be that my family could buy one of these cottages and a small section of land around it, while the middle brother gets to continue to work the farm, but with a bit more peace of mind. Wed include into the agreement access to the other 1k acres for ourselves, walking and hiking, etc. All conversations about this would have to take place after their mother passes away, but our friend broached the topic with us, and  has brought it up with his brother as well, so it's this vague concept that is out there. Personally, the land is beautiful, and it seems like a great place to travel from across Europe. That being said, owning property in the UK is an expensive motherfucker form a tax perspective. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Yeah. I had forgotten about Aberdeen until halfway through my post and forgot to amend it. See the part about a bachelor party. I've never had a NORMAL visit of Scotland where by BAC was consistently below .1 for any period of time. 

Then I believe my one week in Scotland doesn't count.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. It's very much luck. Our best couple friends, the husband is from Scotland and his family has a working farm of around 1k acres. Livestock, etc, and he's one of 3 brothers. Their mom is a piece of work, and she's got strong opinions, etc. Anyway, the middle brother will inherit the farm, because he's the one who stuck around to work it, etc. The other brothers will inherit other things from their parents. But the brother who works the farm, he gets paid an ok wage, but it sounds like the farm is closer to a break even enterprise. Anyway, the point is, he doesn't have much in the way of retirement with his wife, but he'll have all this land that he'll never want to sell, so he's somewhat trapped.

Anyway, the farmland has 3 cottages on it now that I believe they rent out for additional income. The idea would be that my family could buy one of these cottages and a small section of land around it, while the middle brother gets to continue to work the farm, but with a bit more peace of mind. Wed include into the agreement access to the other 1k acres for ourselves, walking and hiking, etc. All conversations about this would have to take place after their mother passes away, but our friend broached the topic with us, and  has brought it up with his brother as well, so it's this vague concept that is out there. Personally, the land is beautiful, and it seems like a great place to travel from across Europe. That being said, owning property in the UK is an expensive motherfucker form a tax perspective. 

Fwiw, I just brought up Scotland as one place I'd like to move if there is ever a civil war here.  Costa rica, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, and Ecuador made our top five.  

So do it (when she dies).

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

i want to move to oban and import an offset smoker

1. kill shaggy cows

2. smoke 'em

3. profit

oh yeah, getting in.

1. million. quid.

although you may have an angle with the farm and the family.

i'm 50% scot and they give zero fucks.

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does it come with a title?  Earl of Surly has a nice ring to it.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We're flying BA from DEN-LHR and connecting to Edinburgh.  Hope LHR gets their shit sorted out by then.  Looks like a disaster zone right now.  

forgot to ask yesterday - are your tix hardlocked?   i *NEVER* connect in europe the same morning i arrive - it never goes according to plan

cunning plan: get 2 rooms at the sofitel in T5 (prepay for breakfast)

exit security - dump bags - get on piccadilly line (don't waste money on the express to euston) and go straight to V&A sixth floor and you will wake the fuck up right away

then, PINTS!

fly to scotland the next afternoon

it's worth burning the night

forced acclimation from gmt-7

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

forgot to ask yesterday - are your tix hardlocked?   i *NEVER* connect in europe the same morning i arrive - it never goes according to plan

cunning plan: get 2 rooms at the sofitel in T5 (prepay for breakfast)

exit security - dump bags - get on piccadilly line (don't waste money on the express to euston) and go straight to V&A sixth floor and you will wake the fuck up right away

then, PINTS!

fly to scotland the next afternoon

it's worth burning the night

forced acclimation from gmt-7

Yeah, we're booked through and everything is confirmed.  Sounds like the security that you can go through for the EDI connection is much better than clearing customs in LHR the regular way.  @midtown mentioned it either in this thread or in another somewhere.  

On 7/10/2022 at 11:32 PM, Upgrayedd said:

Try the haggis 

Haggis when you're lit on whisky is like Taco Bell when you're stoned. I love haggis and would eat it 3 times a day in between various daring deeds that might result in me getting maimed, after which I would lie around and eat more haggis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Haggis when you're lit on whisky is like Taco Bell when you're stoned. I love haggis and would eat it 3 times a day in between various daring deeds that might result in me getting maimed, after which I would lie around and eat more haggis.
I will definitely try it.

We are having dinner on Thanksgiving at The Dome. Looks like a cool place.

15 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

No shit. I lived in Aberdeen for almost 4 years. “Gorgeous” was never a description that crossed my mind.

Well, I was specifically thinking of the countryside we drove through with our driver on the distillery tour, as well as the train ride from London. Aberdeen city is definitely very gray. 

13 hours ago, midtown said:

Haggis is delicious

13 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I'm serious. Heard all my life how bad it was, ate some anyway, loved it.

Same. Made a point of eating haggis. Of course, it was a bachelor party, so we were ripped the entire time, and the haggis I consumed was...literally haggis I got at a bar in the Aberdeen airport. Highly suspect. And still I was like, you know, this isn't bad at all. 

• Drool 1

My experience was Forrest Gumpish -- while attending the Black Watch Regiment of Canada reunion in Montreal, drums are banging, pipes skirling, my money had been no good the last couple hours in the bar, and then I won a bottle of whiskey in a raffle right about the same time they stabbed the haggis.

Made a point of eating haggis.
I didn't have to make a point of eating it.  It seemed like it was on every menu at every restaurant.     In fact it was on the menu at the first place I went for breakfast when arriving in Edinburgh.  I was hungry from flying all night and had to kill most of the day waiting for my room.   My understanding is its kind of mass produced these days using artificial stomachs.  Haggis at 12 o'clock

PXL_20220510_105022333.jpg

On 7/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, Hornbeliever said:

We stayed in Edinburgh and fantastic restaurants though I can't remember any specific names.  Oddly enough, one of best Italian meals I've ever had.

My experience to a "T".  We stayed in an amazing hotel just off Princes Street and walked to an Italian joint that turned out to be surprisingly large, and the food was as good as any Italian food I've had in NYC/Boston/Chicago/StL.  

What an absolutely beautiful city.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I didn't have to make a point of eating it.  It seemed like it was on every menu at every restaurant.     In fact it was on the menu at the first place I went for breakfast when arriving in Edinburgh.  I was hungry from flying all night and had to kill most of the day waiting for my room.   My understanding is its kind of mass produced these days using artificial stomachs.  Haggis at 12 o'clock

PXL_20220510_105022333.jpg

Fair, but other than a local fish and chip joint we went to, I think the rest of our meals were late night doner kabob eaten on the street or whatever was at/around the distilleries we visited. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Leaving Edinburg right now. Heading to London where it's about to be 101 degrees somehow.

Namaste Katmando had really good poppadoms and dumplings. Didn't get to spend much time there because I spent Saturday at the Open. Would love to go back soon.

• Like 1