Scotland

Chewbacca

Following, as it looks like we'll be spending more time in Scotland in the coming years (kiddo going to school there, hell, the older one may end up in grad school there).  We've done Edinburgh and environs, and Loch Lomond, but that's it.  So, we're keen to explore more.  My wife's people are from Lanark and Glasgow (left 150 years ago), so we'll be digging into some history as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spent about 3 weeks in scotland about 15 years ago. Stayed maybe a week in Edinburgh, then walked the West Highland Way, Glasgow to Fort William. Walked maybe 10 (probably less?) miles a day (on average, but varied considerably), stayed at various Inns and such every night. Longer hikes would be broken up by a mid day stop at a pub somewhere along the way. Fantastic scenery, and wonderful people. Lot of sheep, lot of wide open empty spaces in the Highlands. Reminds me of West Texas/Big Bend in a desolate kind of way.

This place was kind of cool. Might be worth a stop on a driving tour.

1280px-Kings_House_Hotel.jpg

After ending the hike in Fort William, rode the most scenic train in the world back to Edinburgh.

800px-Glenfinnan_Viaduct.jpg

If you are not a hiker, just take the train to Fort William, spend a couple of days there, and walk up Ben Nevis. Don't worry, for the pussies there are easy routes, for the bad asses there are serious mountaineering routes. In November, you might be ice climbing, lol.

edit: pics are ganked from the intertubes, not mine.

edit #2: Eat haggis. Love it, embrace it. It is good and good for you. Blood pudding for breakfast, haggis for lunch, scotch for dinner. Drink ale, served barely below room temp. If you order Guinness, they might ask "ice cold or room temp." You will be looked at with suspicion if you order it ice cold. Also, they don't mind if you cut the scotch with a little water, but if its good scotch, the water should be distilled and poured from a ceramic carafe, no plastic for god's sake.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Following, as it looks like we'll be spending more time in Scotland in the coming years (kiddo going to school there, hell, the older one may end up in grad school there).  We've done Edinburgh and environs, and Loch Lomond, but that's it.  So, we're keen to explore more.  My wife's people are from Lanark and Glasgow (left 150 years ago), so we'll be digging into some history as well.

Although Edinburgh is amazing, I have a fondness for Glasgow. If your boyo is going to school there, you'll have to visit Glasgow Cathedral--it's a tourist stop, but if you're able to go 'out of season' so to speak, spend a moment there when it's not so busy and contemplate.

There are a lot of parks in and near the city and are great for strolling, but if you want to get out and explore further, there are quite a few places to visit as I think of it as the gateway to the HIghlands. If you haven't visited Skye, for example, the HST will get you there in around four hours if I recall, but the slower meandering drives and hikes are more interesting to me, personally. The hikes mentioned above by HPD go through some of the most scenic areas of Scotland and are just beautiful.

As HPD says eat the blood pudding, but I know you've mentioned before you like it. I miss it.

It's a wonderful opportunity for your son to spend his undergraduate days there.

2 hours ago, squib said:

Literally sitting at The World’s End right now. 

Btw Kings.  Don't let your women tell you that they need a 2000 sqft kitchen to cook food in.  The kitchen at this pub is the size of a closet and these two dudes were pushing out meal after meal of tasty pub food.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, midtown said:

Btw Kings.  Don't let your women tell you that they need a 2000 sqft kitchen to cook food in.  The kitchen at this pub is the size of a closet and these two dudes were pushing out meal after meal of tasty pub food.

Indeed.  One of the best meals we had on our trip back in the day.  Incredible sticky toffee pudding.  When my daughter visited town solo (looking at the university) a few years back, it was her first stop.  She went to the pub for a drink and a pudding.  She got there, and there was a bit of a wait for a seat, they asked her if she was willing to wait, she answers "I flew 5,000 miles for this, so yeah."

In Dublin now. Much cooler (temps) than Edinburgh. Sitting in Temple Bar. Maybe the most touristy place outside of Disneyland. 

I’d order a Mad Dog margarita if they had one. 

Edited by squib

43 minutes ago, squib said:

In Dublin now. Much cooler (temps) than Edinburgh. Sitting in Temple Bar. Maybe the most touristy place outside of Disneyland. 

Yeah but come evening it's going to be filled with young shit faced chubby euros.  

On 7/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, Chewbacca said:

Maybe search is borked, but I couldn't find a Scotland thread. Going in November and flying in and out of Edinburgh. What are the must see things there?

Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland without our luggage.  Went to Edinburgh through Amsterdam on KLM.  Baggage didn’t make it onto connecting flight.  Schipol is a clusterfuck.  The company that is KLM’s agent(swissport) ar EDI doesn’t have a computer system for tracking baggage,  the process was fill out sheet of paper with contact info and they’ “will contact you”.  We ended up going to the lost baggage warehouse at EDI 3 times and no progress at all.  Hundreds and hundreds of bags in a warehouse, as I understand it Schipol and Heathrow are many times worse.   Was on the phone for 3 1/2 hours to get a case number which won’t be processed for at least 30 day.

So perhaps consider shipping your luggage to destination?  I think a direct flight would be fine, but it appears connecting flights have no chance.  Trying to replace everything we packed for a 2 week trip sucked major ass.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:05 PM, midtown said:

fuck this sentiment.  have you tried operating in a typical european sized kitchen?  hell, the fucking sink dont even fit a stock pot

So perhaps consider shipping your luggage to destination?  I think a direct flight would be fine, but it appears connecting flights have no chance.  Trying to replace everything we packed for a 2 week trip sucked major ass.

Only stay in accommodations with a washer so you can pack in a carry on. Once the females in your life realize they only need 2-3 pairs of shoes total on a trip, this is possible.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Only stay in accommodations with a washer so you can pack in a carry on. Once the females in your life realize they only need 2-3 pairs of shoes total on a trip, this is possible.

Or in pretty much any city with more than 50,000 people there is a washeteria or someplace to get your clothes washed. Our last two trips to Europe, 2 weeks each, we only did carry-on. So much easier, for multiple reasons. 

21 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Or in pretty much any city with more than 50,000 people there is a washeteria or someplace to get your clothes washed. Our last two trips to Europe, 2 weeks each, we only did carry-on. So much easier, for multiple reasons. 

I haven't checked a bag in at least 20 years unless I was required to like when I brought a knife home from Japan.   You can easily carry a weeks worth of clothes in a carry on.   I can't believe the idea of doing laundry on the road is new to anyone.   Most hotels have a laundry service and some have self serve on premises..   In parts of Asia you can have your entire wardrobe washed and folded for $1.   And like Mo says there is almost always a laundry facility and in most cases there is a bar or restaurant near by.  If worse comes to worse you can always do some essentials in the hotel room.  It helps if you aren't as concerned about people on instagram realizing you packed light and you are wearing the same outfit twice.  

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Everyone knows the current situation at this point so if you check bags you’re pretty much asking for it. 

This has been my philosophy for the last 20 years.   I checked a set of golf clubs to wedding in NOLA from NYC circa 2001.   They lost my clubs which also happened to have some sandals that I had planned to wear pretty much the entire trip.   They didn't find the bag until I was back in NYC.   The airline delivered my bag and left it outside my walk up in the middle of the day and didn't even bother to tell me.   The doorman across the street witnessed it and grabbed it and left me a note.  I have not checked a bag since.   Although I believe they are much better at baggage these days in general but I still hear plenty of horror stories.  Plus I do a ton of public transpo and walking.  Watching people drag checked bags onto trains, subways, and up and down streets looks like an epic beating.

Edited by midtown

On 7/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

i want to move to oban and import an offset smoker

1. kill heeland coos

2. smoke 'em

3. profit

oh yeah, getting in.

1. million. quid.

although you may have an angle with the farm and the family.

i'm 50% scot and they give zero fucks.

FIFM

59 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It is, but also very cool. Have a pint for us poor working slobs.

Moved on from Dublin to Galway and then Limerick. Flew out of Shannon to Heathrow and had flight cancelled so spent about 30 hours in London. 16 days of Manchester-Edinburgh, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, London. Now back home as of last night but liver is aching. Too old for this crap...until I do it again. Cue Steve Wariner.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland without our luggage.  Went to Edinburgh through Amsterdam on KLM.  Baggage didn’t make it onto connecting flight.  Schipol is a clusterfuck.  The company that is KLM’s agent(swissport) ar EDI doesn’t have a computer system for tracking baggage,  the process was fill out sheet of paper with contact info and they’ “will contact you”.  We ended up going to the lost baggage warehouse at EDI 3 times and no progress at all.  Hundreds and hundreds of bags in a warehouse, as I understand it Schipol and Heathrow are many times worse.   Was on the phone for 3 1/2 hours to get a case number which won’t be processed for at least 30 day.

Wife and I were talking about this last week.  Saying we need to figure out how to only bring carry on luggage.  Airlines are just fucked right now.

17 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Dear Mr. Celine,

If you have flown recently or are planning to do so in the coming weeks, you will have noticed that airlines and airports all over Europe were not sufficiently prepared to cope with rapidly increasing numbers of passengers. This has also impacted many KLM passengers, and I sincerely apologize to those of you who experienced a disruption or lost a suitcase when flying with KLM this summer. We simply must do better, and in addition to earlier actions, we have taken several steps to improve our performance:

• We reduced the number of flights swiftly to go back to the reliable service and quality you may expect from KLM
• We don’t sell all our available seats and therefore keep some seats available for passengers who have missed a flight or had their original flight cancelled. We apply the same policy to luggage if needed
• We have extended transfer times between flights, giving you more time to make your connecting flight at Schiphol Airport and reducing stress for you and our airport staff serving you
• At the special request of Schiphol Airport, we are actively monitoring and managing the total number of Dutch passengers boarding at Amsterdam to ease the rush at security and customs checks at peak hours

Solving our operational challenges is KLM’s top priority. Every day 28.000 KLM colleagues work around the clock in challenging circumstances to get you and your luggage to your destination in a comfortable and timely way – as you may and, of course, should expect from us. In most cases, we definitely do. However, in recent weeks the main issue related to late delivered and/or misplaced luggage. We have put additional measures and resources in place to get the luggage back to its owners and solve the necessary aftercare and claims. We have hired extra people in our Customer Care Centers to support this effort, but because of some backlog, they are not yet as available for our customers as we want them to be. We understand that this is very frustrating and can leave customers feeling abandoned. But rest assured that we are working on your case. Please use our on-line rebooking, claims and refund services as much as possible.

In the spirit of honesty and transparency, I felt it essential to reach out and apologize to those of you who were directly affected. We will do our utmost to restore your confidence. Millions of passengers choose to fly KLM each summer, and it is in these difficult times that we must show what we’re made of to continue to earn and deserve your trust in our brand. For each and every customer and for each and every flight. Thank you for flying KLM, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

On behalf of the entire KLM Executive Committee,

Sincerely,
Marjan Rintel
President & CEO
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

• 2 weeks later...

Probably gonna be heading to Glasgow in a month to set the boy up at school.  Will have a couple of days to kill on the back end.  I see some excursions that include Oban.  I love Oban whisky.  Is that something we should do?  Other "must do/must see" in Glasgow?

I suspect much of the trip will be hitting the store to buy him towels and a supply of haggis for the fridge and stuff.  And will check out the campus.  And probably some time kicking back in any number of pubs.  But again, will have some time to wander.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Go see Celtic vs Rangers on Sept 3rd.  Other than that, there isn't whole lot to do in Glasgow.  You could day trip to Loch Lommond or down to Ayeshire if you want to see the Firth of Clyde. 

The boy's already decided he's going to be a Rangers fan.  We won't be getting there till several days later, though.  We've been to Loch Lommond, but granted, it was 10 years ago or so.  Seems there's a fair amount to see up that way, though.

Also, I would like to devote one afternoon to drinking more than I should in a pub.

• 3 months later...

Heading out on Friday.  What is the best way to get some cash in Scotland?  I was thinking I would just bring USD and exchange it at the airport?  Is there a better way to do it?  I know I'll get fucked on the currency conversion rate doing it that way.  I waited too long to get it from my bank, so that's out.

Heading out on Friday.  What is the best way to get some cash in Scotland?  I was thinking I would just bring USD and exchange it at the airport?  Is there a better way to do it?  I know I'll get fucked on the currency conversion rate doing it that way.  I waited too long to get it from my bank, so that's out.

I just hit a bank ATM with a decent exchange rate. Didn’t really need much cash, most everything takes cards now.

I don't have an ATM card since I never carry cash.  Figure I'll need cash to tip tour guides and the like.

Huh. Ok. I’m stumped. I didn’t know there were people who 1) actually have a bank account who 2) don’t have a debit card. I think you’re hosed? Get some dollars from your bank, then take a beating at the airport exchange? Don’t get much. Like $200 should do, the pound is at $1.18 today.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh. Ok. I’m stumped. I didn’t know there were people who 1) actually have a bank account who 2) don’t have a debit card. I think you’re hosed? Get some dollars from your bank, then take a beating at the airport exchange? Don’t get much. Like $200 should do, the pound is at $1.18 today.

Yeah, I just don't ever use cash.  I'll go to the bank every 5-6 months and get $1,000-2,000 in cash and just keep that around the house for when I need it.  I have to go to the bank all the time to deposit checks for my business anyway, so I just don't need a debit card.  I have to go to the bank today anyway, so I'll ask them if they can get me some pounds on a shorter timeframe.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I just don't ever use cash.  I'll go to the bank every 5-6 months and get $1,000-2,000 in cash and just keep that around the house for when I need it. 

Yeah.  Well I don't watch TV but I know they have shows.    Seems like having a debit card tucked away somewhere would make sense for travel from time to time unless this is the only travel you will ever do.   You wouldn't really have to tell anyone and could maintain your "i dont have a debit card persona"

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scotland has been bad ass. Love this place. Some of the nicest people anywhere and some very cool shit. Haggis and black pudding are delicious. We've seen about a half dozen castles, but the two things that are most memorable are the Brittania royal yacht tour and a tour we did called Mary King close. The conditions people lived in in Edinborough were terrible.

We will definitely be back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Scotland has been bad ass. Love this place. Some of the nicest people anywhere and some very cool shit. Haggis and black pudding are delicious. We've seen about a half dozen castles, but the two things that are most memorable are the Brittania royal yacht tour and a tour we did called Mary King close. The conditions people lived in in Edinborough were terrible.

We will definitely be back.

Jealous. I could have breakfast with black pudding every day.
And the scots really are nice, mostly willing to engage in random conversation, welcoming, and funny.
  • Like 1

As long as you can understand them.

Yeah…my Glaswegian cabbie is….rusty. They were tough. Most everyone else I could get.

And you got me thinking about this kickass breakfast in Glasgow: double black pudding, two kinds of sausage, bacon, egg, potato scones, toast…and those useless fucking beans. I left the beans, but demolished everything else.

275eeaba49bdef0bbcf3fbfdc8c548d4.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah…my Glaswegian cabbie is….rusty. They were tough. Most everyone else I could get.

And you got me thinking about this kickass breakfast in Glasgow: double black pudding, two kinds of sausage, bacon, egg, potato scones, toast…and those useless fucking beans. I left the beans, but demolished everything else.

275eeaba49bdef0bbcf3fbfdc8c548d4.jpg
Fuck the beans. Not a huge fan of potato scones, either. Or the tomato. Love the rest. 0efba811774e5b8739f53f733f0ac706.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm jealous.  Haven't been to Edinburgh in a long time, but it's easily my favorite city of those I've traveled to.

My family (both sides) came to the US very early on, pre-Revolutionary War.  My heritage is predominantly Scottish, then English, then a bit French.  I had been to England many times before I took a train to Edinburgh, and when I stepped out of that train station, it was very clear that "whoah, I am HOME".  I have never in my life felt such a connection to a place I had never been.

Now I need to go back, and take my kids.

• Like 2

I just signed up my older son and myself for a 6-day mountain biking trip across the Highlands this summer.  Aberdeen to Ardnamurchan.  I've had my eye on the trip for a few years and was totally stoked when he asked if he could come with me for his HS graduation gift.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

How long are you there? I used to live in Scotland so could give some recs. the west coast and some of the Hebrides are fantastic, but November will be a difficult time. The weather is guaranteed to suck and the days will be short.

How is it in July? Planning to spend a week there this summer. 

Just got home. What a great trip. Such friendly people everywhere. Had some really good meals as well. Edinburgh is a great city. Definitely need another trip there to explore the Highlands.

One thing I definitely noticed is that there aren't many Susie Wolffs running around. Not a lot of talent over there, especially when compared to Montreal a few months ago.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just got home. What a great trip. Such friendly people everywhere. Had some really good meals as well. Edinburgh is a great city. Definitely need another trip there to explore the Highlands.

One thing I definitely noticed is that there aren't many Susie Wolffs running around. Not a lot of talent over there, especially when compared to Montreal a few months ago.

That…we noticed. And even if they are attractive, it’s hard to tell because the style is to wear a full kilo of pancake makeup. Like, all of them. It stood out enough that both my wife and I commented on it.
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

How is it in July? Planning to spend a week there this summer. 

Late June into July was when I was there. Weather was as good as can be expected for Scotland. A little drizzly a few days, kinda cold a few times, but never actually rained. Pack a light, rain resistant jacket. Days are long- 5 am sunrise, 11 pm sunset, or thereabouts. The evening twilight lingers for hours.  I've heard the bugs can get bad in the summer in the highlands, but we never had a serious problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

And the scots really are nice, mostly willing to engage in random conversation, welcoming, and funny.

Here is my Scotland cool story bro:

My wife and I were there for our honeymoon in June and July, 2009. Wimbledon was on every screen in every bar. All you tennis buffs will recall Andy Roddick (grew up in Austin) defeated Andy Murray (from Scotland) in the semifinals on July 3rd. Wife and I were in a bar in Edinburgh watching. We tried to keep our rooting for the Roddick on the down low, but as soon as the other drunks realized we and Roddick were from Texas, and the wife and I were on honeymoon, they started buying us beers (room temp ales actually). They were very gracious and congratulatory when Murray lost in four (IIRC) sets, and bought us a couple of rounds of fine local scotch (served with a little spring water poured from a ceramic carafe- water debased by being in contact with metal or plastic pipes should never be mixed with a good scotch).

When we finally stumbled out into the street, it had turned drizzly and slightly cold. Neither of us had a jacket or a hat. Some random dudes from the bar gave me and my wife two wool scarves as a honeymoon gift. We still have them. Nothing fancy, just plain wool scarves from scottish sheep.

postscript: Federer went on to beat Roddick in the finals in a match that lasted nearly 4 and half hours. The final set of 7 consisted of 30(!) games.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3